Update: Deshaun Watson traded to Cleveland Browns

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

User avatar
Xee
Site Admin
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:47 pm
Location: Hoffman Estates, IL

The proceedings are secret so we'll never know but one take I've heard is it would be hard to prove any of this just based on witness statements and no evidence besides text messages.

There's still civil cases to deal with though so it's far from over.
User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5622
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Boris13c wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:51 pm that's the first time I actually read the detailed charges, and they paint a very negative picture of him ... so how is forced oral sex not considered something criminal according to the grand jury?
Probably because it didn’t happen. Forced sex is rape, if it was a credible accusation he’d surely have been charged for it. You shouldn’t pass judgement based on accusations that didn’t hold up to scrutiny, the truth lies somewhere in between. Poor, lewd behavior? Yes. Rape? No.
User avatar
thunderspirit
Head Coach
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm
Location: Greater Chicagoland, IL

We will very much agree to disagree on that, @dplank.
KFFL refugee.
AZ_Bearfan wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:54 pm Poles went to a nice steakhouse, ordered the cheapest thing on the menu and is stuffing the bread rolls in his pockets for later. Poles is basically my mom.
User avatar
Atkins&Rebel
MVP
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm caught somewhere between believing Watson is a scumbag predator, and Watson was doing everything he could to smooth talk some extra services from mostly willing women, until he read one (some), of the women wrong, overstepped and now is facing the other 'willing women' looking to cash in.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Posts: 3453
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: South Dakota

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:07 am I'm caught somewhere between believing Watson is a scumbag predator, and Watson was doing everything he could to smooth talk some extra services from mostly willing women, until he read one (some), of the women wrong, overstepped and now is facing the other 'willing women' looking to cash in.
I am kind of here, but being on the outside looking in it is very hard to tell.

Is he a predator, a scumbag, a rich athlete being extorted or a privileged rich athlete that thought he was special.

The truth may lie anywhere within that realm and most likely we will never know what the entire truth is.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 24564
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

At a minimum Watson is a gross human who lacks social cues and basic awareness about decency because he's wealthy and doesn't believe the rules apply to him. On the other end of the spectrum, he's a predator.

I'm of the completely unsubstantiated opinion that he's probably the former. But there's still consequences.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9829
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Watson is really good. He's going to be quite a force, on a team with that running game holy crap. They're clearly all-in for this year and probably next.
"My coaches love my ability to run through the smoke" - Vay Jones
User avatar
southdakbearfan
Head Coach
Posts: 3453
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:23 pm
Location: South Dakota

IE wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:40 am Watson is really good. He's going to be quite a force, on a team with that running game holy crap. They're clearly all-in for this year and probably next.
Is Watson really that good?

28-25 overall record, 1-2 in playoffs, he gets sacked 9% of the time which is atrocious for both him and his lines.

I feel like maybe he’s a bit of a hollow stat guy, putting up the stats but not the wins or big game wins?

But, look at Stafford, he gets out of Detroit and he’s a champion.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9829
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:48 am
IE wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:40 am Watson is really good. He's going to be quite a force, on a team with that running game holy crap. They're clearly all-in for this year and probably next.
Is Watson really that good?

28-25 overall record, 1-2 in playoffs, he gets sacked 9% of the time which is atrocious for both him and his lines.

I feel like maybe he’s a bit of a hollow stat guy, putting up the stats but not the wins or big game wins?

But, look at Stafford, he gets out of Detroit and he’s a champion.
By your 4th comment you gave yourself my answer. LOL

Yeah - he's that good. If JF1 ever plays to Watson's level, we'll be elated.
"My coaches love my ability to run through the smoke" - Vay Jones
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach
Posts: 4131
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Parts Unknown

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:48 am
IE wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:40 am Watson is really good. He's going to be quite a force, on a team with that running game holy crap. They're clearly all-in for this year and probably next.
Is Watson really that good?

28-25 overall record, 1-2 in playoffs, he gets sacked 9% of the time which is atrocious for both him and his lines.

I feel like maybe he’s a bit of a hollow stat guy, putting up the stats but not the wins or big game wins?

But, look at Stafford, he gets out of Detroit and he’s a champion.
Yes. Yes he is.

The guy played on some shitty teams.

Then that playoff game on KC. He smoked the Chiefs and almost had them beat but that "defense" gave up like 50 points (IIRC) that game.
Image Image
User avatar
Ditka’s dictaphone
Crafty Veteran
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:33 pm

I’m of the opinion that he’s a prick but not a criminal.
There are lots of pricks in professional sport, I don’t like them but I can support the teams they play sport for. That’s it for me.

I’m not fit to judge someone really, but I can hold an opinion. :thumbsup:
RichH55
Head Coach
Posts: 3098
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:33 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:48 am

Is Watson really that good?

28-25 overall record, 1-2 in playoffs, he gets sacked 9% of the time which is atrocious for both him and his lines.

I feel like maybe he’s a bit of a hollow stat guy, putting up the stats but not the wins or big game wins?

But, look at Stafford, he gets out of Detroit and he’s a champion.
Yes. Yes he is.

The guy played on some shitty teams.

Then that playoff game on KC. He smoked the Chiefs and almost had them beat but that "defense" gave up like 50 points (IIRC) that game.
Defense and Special Teams gave him the early big lead and he blew it there

His last season they weren't even top 50% in Points Scored.....and keep in mind that IS with a good WR crop (Fuller (actually decently healthy that year), Cook, Cobb)
User avatar
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach
Posts: 4131
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Location: Parts Unknown

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:51 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:33 am

Yes. Yes he is.

The guy played on some shitty teams.

Then that playoff game on KC. He smoked the Chiefs and almost had them beat but that "defense" gave up like 50 points (IIRC) that game.
Defense and Special Teams gave him the early big lead and he blew it there

His last season they weren't even top 50% in Points Scored.....and keep in mind that IS with a good WR crop (Fuller (actually decently healthy that year), Cook, Cobb)
Deal with it noob.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... tsDe00.htm
Image Image
User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5622
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Rich has an axe to grind on this one, don’t bother it will devolve quickly. The guy lost Hopkins, then turned around and led the NFL in passing anyways - nuff said.

As for his legal stuff, I always wait for the legal process to unfold unless someone is literally caught on camera. No criminal charges tells me there’s a lot of gray area here and we will never know what happened exactly - sure seemed like a quality human being until this came out, like an exceptional young man - so while disappointed in his crassness I don’t extend it any further.

He should light it up for the Browns.
RichH55
Head Coach
Posts: 3098
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Dplank - absolutely loves to ignore that it was
A) A very good WR group

B) They weren't top 50% in points scored - You cant put that on the Defense or GM. Thats a QB thing. Someone who loves to take sacks

C) Ignoring multiple sexual assualts - Not a great look. Whats the equivalent of an axe to grind where you ignore a predator?
RichH55
Head Coach
Posts: 3098
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Dplank

What percentage of women do you think were lying?

Of the....checks notes.......22.

Twenty-Two.
User avatar
RustinFields
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am
Location: Maine!

RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:59 pm Dplank

What percentage of women do you think were lying?

Of the....checks notes.......22.

Twenty-Two.
25 actually. 3 other women are declining to sue because they dont want to go through the anguish of a trial.

Ultimately for some people it's just much easier to assume 25 women are lying than one man is lying. That's how things like this happen in the first place.
User avatar
Atkins&Rebel
MVP
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:56 pm

RustinFields wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:02 am
RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:59 pm Dplank

What percentage of women do you think were lying?

Of the....checks notes.......22.

Twenty-Two.
25 actually. 3 other women are declining to sue because they dont want to go through the anguish of a trial.

Ultimately for some people it's just much easier to assume 25 women are lying than one man is lying. That's how things like this happen in the first place.
I think most of us all agree that Watson was inappropriate.
With no charges it's fair to wonder if he was criminally inappropriate, (at least to all the women).
The civil trial will show us if the women want their day in court to vilify Watson.
An undisclosed settlement will just muddy the water and allow everyone to believe what they want.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
RichH55
Head Coach
Posts: 3098
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:23 pm

RustinFields wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:02 am
RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:59 pm Dplank

What percentage of women do you think were lying?

Of the....checks notes.......22.

Twenty-Two.
25 actually. 3 other women are declining to sue because they dont want to go through the anguish of a trial.

Ultimately for some people it's just much easier to assume 25 women are lying than one man is lying. That's how things like this happen in the first place.
Excellent post
User avatar
dplank
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5622
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:48 am
RustinFields wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:02 am

25 actually. 3 other women are declining to sue because they dont want to go through the anguish of a trial.

Ultimately for some people it's just much easier to assume 25 women are lying than one man is lying. That's how things like this happen in the first place.
I think most of us all agree that Watson was inappropriate.
With no charges it's fair to wonder if he was criminally inappropriate, (at least to all the women).
The civil trial will show us if the women want their day in court to vilify Watson.
An undisclosed settlement will just muddy the water and allow everyone to believe what they want.
Excellent post
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Posts: 23230
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Champaign, IL

Yeah, let's not.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
Locked