Bears Sign WR Byron Pringle (Ex-Chief)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:50 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:38 am

Ok. When - If ever - do you think its smart to trade down?

I think we need more than 2 starters in the draft - I think the draft is pretty deep.

Do you also think there are no risk on Day 2 guys? Your odds really aren't 100%
There’s a few scenarios and the one we’re in isn’t one of them.

You have the first overall pick or something crazy. There’s no franchise generational QB. P. Manning, Watson, somebody like that. Sell it. Or it’s like last year with five QBs. I’d sell the first overall pick for a ransom and trade down a few spots and still take a QB. I even said so here last year.

You have like one first rounder or one second rounder and nothing else on Day Two. I’d consider it.

Otherwise I don’t really see it.

Don’t give me that there’s risk with Day Two guys. There’s risk with every pick.

In our case we have 3 Day Two picks. That’s two starters and then probably a guy who will take a year or two to get good like how it takes WRs sometimes. I’m good with that.
Ok - just a difference in philosphys then.

To me- the draft is a crap shoot - especially once you in Round 2 - Having 3 Day 2 picks - Nailing the top two picks and having the third being good in Year 2-3 is very close to the best possible outcome. Not the median outcome.

"There’s risk with every pick."

YES. That is kind of my point. The extra Day 2 pick gives you an extra roll of the dice.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:00 am
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:14 pm

Very much disagree - like all around

We are still lower in terms of draft capital to start with - trading down helps in that regard

And Im not sure why having 3 Day two picks (not including a 4th) would matter as to how we'd deal with trading down in the 2nd Round ......not much causation there to me
3 Day Two picks should net at least two starters given our roster. In my mind that's one for the OL and a CB. If we can get a starting WR out of that too I'd be elated.

We aren't a team looking for depth where we need to trade down and turn those 3 picks into 6. We need starter quality players. In our case trading down makes no sense.
Myself, I would be looking to trade down from #39. Many have Christian Watson pegged to us there. Thing is that there are whole lot of receivers in this draft. I really like Watson, but I'd love to trade down from there and pick up another third, and maybe even trade down again for a fourth. There is a lot of talent in the 3-5 round range in this draft. Hell, the fastest receiver in the draft, one with a sub 4.3 and 60 receptions last year to go with 10 TDs is 6'2" and scheduled to go in the third or fourth rounds. I'd love to get him and Pierce or Bell in this draft. There's also some really good DBs in that range. Currently, I'm looking at Petite-Frere at LT with our current third.

So I wouldn't be trading down just to pick up picks. I'd be trading down to actually get talent who could start for us this year. If we did it right, we could get 4 maybe 5 quality starters in the 2-4 rounds.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:36 am
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:44 pm

Well, I can certainly understand why you would want to hire somebody to handle your "basic math" Rich, because it's obvious you STILL don't get it. I can remember when you strenuously over the course of weeks that the Ravens paid more for Kyle Boller than the Bears did for Jay Cutler. You argued that Boller cost the Ravens two firsts and a second because the Ravens traded a current year second and a future year first to obtain a current year first which they used to pick Boller. That's patently false. It's basic math. It's the difference between the two simple equations: A+B=C and A+B+C. To my knowledge you have never acknowledged this error or recognized this difference.

But now you've taken your stupefaction of simple math to another, even more basic, level. You postulate to me it's "a no brainer" to accept a third round pick rather than signing Muhammad. But that's not the question at all. The REAL question according to the "basic" math of the Compensatory Formula right now is whether I'd give up THREE of our signings for a third round pick, not just Muhammad. While we've lost three qualifying players, we've signed five (and maybe six depending on the St. Brown contract). That means to realized the third that accompanies the ARob loss we'd have to lose three--5-3=2, one less than the players we've lost to realize that compensatory pick. And while we'll lose Hicks going forward as a Qualifier, we STILL have to sign a safety, a corner, maybe a linebacker and a DT (if we pursue OGun down the road), a WR, and at least one OL and maybe two, and maybe an HBack. This is my whole point--we simply have too many holes to fill with bona fide players to worry about the Compensatory Pick formula, way too many. I would much rather sign 10-12 players our GM recognizes as bona fide players to fill all the holes we have than 3 or 4 he recognizes as bona fides and the rest schlubs to fill those same holes simply to get a third round pick. Not worth it.

And then if you look at it going forward. In 2023, we have seven players currently earning or projecting to earn a qualifying amount for the Compensatory Formula. Two of those are signings from this year. In 2024, we have eight that might project as qualifiers, three from this year's signings. And those numbers are only going to go up the more qualifying candidates we sign this year to short term deals. And that illustrates my second point that we're really banking potential qualifying candidates by signing players our GM recognizes as bona fides as opposed to schlubs to short term deals.

How's that for basic math.
"How's that for basic math."

Terrible?

Do you think Kyle Boller factors in here? At least its not as bad as saying we should "EASILY" be able to get 7 Day 2 Picks. 7. From 3. Easily. Wow.

But to educate the tired masses.

Choices you have to make:
"This is my whole point--we simply have too many holes to fill with bona fide players to worry about the Compensatory Pick formula, way too many."

Ummmm. Ok.

1). You should factor in Hicks, Dalton, Graham, and Ifedi (*) - NOT ALL 4 mind you - but reasonably/relatively conservatively - 2 of the 4 signing before the Draft for more than 3 million a year.

That adds to your FA out list for the formula. Again, 2022 is a particularly large year for Bears losing FA - with Arob being potentially the 3rd Rounder

So math 1.

2). Math 2. You can add players (putting aside the draft that should add 4-6 players) that DONT count against the formula.

You probably can expect EVERY year multiple signings for guys closer to Vet Min - or at least closer to 2 million - (OJ Howard would have counted as a less than guy)

You can also sign cut guys (other guys can count like Grant with contract stuff) - BUT the easiest is cut guys.

Would you rather sign JC Tretter or the rotational DE? Tretter gets you a 3rd.....

3) You can also sign guys after the draft - they don't count against this "Esoteric" formula (Which you went from not understanding to grandstanding on - Nice 180)

Every year there are guys cut after the draft AND guys who wait til after the draft - starters. Guys to fill your roster.

Guys who take the 1 year prove it deal. Every year. So I have to add a Safety? Ok.

So putting away We have to add 10-12 guys! It's not actually that hard to do - while doing it smart

4) Look at the trade offs. You can take the first 3 FA we signed - whichever ones you like the best. They shouldn't cost you a 3rd. You just have to get more careful at that stage. (*) Or even play a bit of hard ball - Looks like if you beat Morrow up for like 500 K on the deal that he wouldn't count against the formula.

(*) There are other guys like Gipson, Ogletree, etc. But just because they are FA doesn't mean they have a ton of market value (BEARS MENTIONING WHEN ONE LOOKS AT 2023 - Dont try and act like Attachou and Blackson are both getting nice contracts)

Also - what on earth are you talking about for 2023? "In 2023, we have seven players currently earning or projecting to earn a qualifying amount for the Compensatory Formula. "

Where on earth are you getting those numbers? Do you think Blackson or Attaochu are going to both be prime FA ? Next years FA crop from the Bears - is pretty weak. And that's before you factor in resignings (other than R. Smith)

The bloodletting roster wise is THIS offseason.

And R. Smith (I always careful noted I expected him resigned) - large percentage to be resigned - Do you disagree there?
That list for '23 came straight from Sportstrac. That's why I said players either currently making or scheduled to make. Apparently the cutoff for qualifying is somewhere between 2.8 and 2.5 mill. So for '23 right now you have Foles, Pringle, Smith, Morrow, Atchu, Blackson, and Montgomery. And that doesn't include St. Brown.

As to your Muhammad question, you were giving a completely false narrative. I'm dealing with reality here and the reality is NOT Muhammad or a third rounder. Right NOW, the reality is a third rounder for three of Poles' five signings. So which three of Patrick, Muhammad, Jones, Pringle, or Morrow are you willing to give up for a third? Myself, I'd rather have the players. And going forward, I only see more qualified signings by Poles which should increase that difference even more.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:20 pm
RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:36 am

"How's that for basic math."

Terrible?

Do you think Kyle Boller factors in here? At least its not as bad as saying we should "EASILY" be able to get 7 Day 2 Picks. 7. From 3. Easily. Wow.

But to educate the tired masses.

Choices you have to make:
"This is my whole point--we simply have too many holes to fill with bona fide players to worry about the Compensatory Pick formula, way too many."

Ummmm. Ok.

1). You should factor in Hicks, Dalton, Graham, and Ifedi (*) - NOT ALL 4 mind you - but reasonably/relatively conservatively - 2 of the 4 signing before the Draft for more than 3 million a year.

That adds to your FA out list for the formula. Again, 2022 is a particularly large year for Bears losing FA - with Arob being potentially the 3rd Rounder

So math 1.

2). Math 2. You can add players (putting aside the draft that should add 4-6 players) that DONT count against the formula.

You probably can expect EVERY year multiple signings for guys closer to Vet Min - or at least closer to 2 million - (OJ Howard would have counted as a less than guy)

You can also sign cut guys (other guys can count like Grant with contract stuff) - BUT the easiest is cut guys.

Would you rather sign JC Tretter or the rotational DE? Tretter gets you a 3rd.....

3) You can also sign guys after the draft - they don't count against this "Esoteric" formula (Which you went from not understanding to grandstanding on - Nice 180)

Every year there are guys cut after the draft AND guys who wait til after the draft - starters. Guys to fill your roster.

Guys who take the 1 year prove it deal. Every year. So I have to add a Safety? Ok.

So putting away We have to add 10-12 guys! It's not actually that hard to do - while doing it smart

4) Look at the trade offs. You can take the first 3 FA we signed - whichever ones you like the best. They shouldn't cost you a 3rd. You just have to get more careful at that stage. (*) Or even play a bit of hard ball - Looks like if you beat Morrow up for like 500 K on the deal that he wouldn't count against the formula.

(*) There are other guys like Gipson, Ogletree, etc. But just because they are FA doesn't mean they have a ton of market value (BEARS MENTIONING WHEN ONE LOOKS AT 2023 - Dont try and act like Attachou and Blackson are both getting nice contracts)

Also - what on earth are you talking about for 2023? "In 2023, we have seven players currently earning or projecting to earn a qualifying amount for the Compensatory Formula. "

Where on earth are you getting those numbers? Do you think Blackson or Attaochu are going to both be prime FA ? Next years FA crop from the Bears - is pretty weak. And that's before you factor in resignings (other than R. Smith)

The bloodletting roster wise is THIS offseason.

And R. Smith (I always careful noted I expected him resigned) - large percentage to be resigned - Do you disagree there?
That list for '23 came straight from Sportstrac. That's why I said players either currently making or scheduled to make. Apparently the cutoff for qualifying is somewhere between 2.8 and 2.5 mill. So for '23 right now you have Foles, Pringle, Smith, Morrow, Atchu, Blackson, and Montgomery. And that doesn't include St. Brown.

As to your Muhammad question, you were giving a completely false narrative. I'm dealing with reality here and the reality is NOT Muhammad or a third rounder. Right NOW, the reality is a third rounder for three of Poles' five signings. So which three of Patrick, Muhammad, Jones, Pringle, or Morrow are you willing to give up for a third? Myself, I'd rather have the players. And going forward, I only see more qualified signings by Poles which should increase that difference even more.

A) 2023 stuff
Yeah. Do you see that list for 2023? Most at the bottom end if at all - none in huge positions of playing time DL wise.

Just do a bit of critical analysis there - that isn't a group that is likely to garner many - - in the way of comp picks - Which is especially true
A) Montgomery is the best of the bunch - HOWEVER HB is not typically, even in FA, paid a premium dollar amount
B) Resignings (especially IF guys like Pringle and Morrow (*)pan out
C). We have 100+ cap room next year - and Poles will have seen every one - day in, day out in the building for a year - Plus Rookie QB contract

(*) Morrow is a 1 year signing. And next offseason is either : No Comp picks or if you squeek one out by losing a guy like Morrow - Maybe a 6th or 7th? That's a bad process

Please just think on it a little bit - 2023 is not a year I am worrying about the compensatory pick charts for the Bears.

B) 2022 Compensatory. "As to your Muhammad question, you were giving a completely false narrative"

Are you just going to ignore the 4 players we have that are FA -and the (FEEL FREE TO DISAGREE) fair notion that I think at least 2 of them sign for 3 million or more?

That is like a baseline question. I am dealing with the facts on the ground. No, they haven't signed yet. But what odds do you put that they WONT (prior to draft)

You don't think someone is going to give Dalton like a 1 year, 4-5 Million dollar deal to be the Vet Backup QB? Hicks is going to have to take the Vet min?

Really?

So unless you think the notion that (**) 2 of the 4 sign is outlandish - then how is it a false narrative?

(**) Maybe Poles just has big Brass ones and thinks ALL of Ifedi, Graham, Dalton, and Hicks get 3 + - And he already played the Comp game perfectly. It's possible (though not probable IMHO)

And Morrow for starters - It's a 1 year deal (you are projecting him as a comp guy next year) - Maybe I take the 3rd in 2023 rather than a year of Morrow and maybe a 7th in 2024? And Muhammed - Rotational DE

Under any reading - you get to keep the Top 3 FA we signed (however you view those top 3) - and its after those that you need to be careful (IMHO - again maybe you think none of our 4 FA sign and its not even that - we disagree if so)

Yogi - you can also sign ANY guy who got cut - and they dont qualify for the formula . You don't think a JC Tretter, or Myles Jack, or Landry, etc, etc could be a guy for 2022?

Poles is looking for good value FA guys - OK. A 3rd Rounder on a rookie contract won't be a good value guy?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Talking about getting multiple year 1 starting caliber players after pick 50, in most drafts, is kind of pure insanity.

What is happening in this thread?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:53 pm Talking about getting multiple year 1 starting caliber players after pick 50, in most drafts, is kind of pure insanity.

Simple. Guys got bored of hyping Christian Watson and Alec Pierce in the other WR threads and decided to hype them in this thread.
xyt in the discord chats
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Rich, deal with reality RIGHT NOW as I am. Don't try to obfuscate with projections. You want to recognize that players will be signed by other teams, but you don't want to recognize the qualifying players Poles might sign. Right now, we have 5 qualifying signings and only 3 who have been signed. That means that you have to give up three of his signings to get a third. Are you willing to do that? I'm not.

But instead of being forced into that position, you want to project that we'll have all these other qualifying players signed while not recognize who Poles might sign. You're all projection. I prefer to stay in reality and I believe that going forward the percentage of qualifying players Poles will sign versus who other teams will sign from us will at least maintain the same as it is now. So AGAIN, are you willing to give up three of Poles current signings for a third round pick? Yes or no. That's reality as it is now. Anything else is a false narrative based on projections that you can't prove or disprove. For every Hicks or Dalton, I can give you an OPEN safety position or corner position or LB position or a possible DT signing (Ogun) or an OL position or a WR position or an H-Back position. So let's deal with the REALITY as it is now. Are you willing to give up three of Poles' signings for a third? The way you've been trying to deflect the question you act like a politician who'll never give an honest answer.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:53 pm Talking about getting multiple year 1 starting caliber players after pick 50, in most drafts, is kind of pure insanity.

Well, I guess you'll have to wait for my Picnic Basket then. ;)
dplank
Hall of Famer

It is, yet somehow we are going to fill multiple needs at WR, OL, CB, S with these draft picks? All starters? Or, more likely, not quality starters and we’ve helped Fields how? It’s looking pretty grim for Fields right now, still holding out hope that Poles gets his ass moving.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

They don’t need to be “quality starters” in 2022, they need to have the potential
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:40 am They don’t need to be “quality starters” in 2022, they need to have the potential
Really disagree here. JMO, but I don’t think it’s wise to simultaneously count on Fields making a huge leap forward in Year 2 and not provide him with quality starters at WR and OL. That one just seems super obvious to me. The latest Atlantic article seems to agree we haven’t done enough to help Fields yet (but they caveat that there are still players out there to sign that could change that, particularly at G).
IE
Hall of Famer

I don't see what most of this conversation has to do with Byron Pringle. There's already threads about being happy or not with Poles' approach. Which he openly described to manage expectations.

The Atlantic article explains the Pringle and other signings perfectly. I've been thinking (and saying) this approach was both necessary and obvious (inevitable) because of the glaring multiple empty slots on the depth chart in some areas of the roster, combined with budget, lack of draft picks and also some uncertainty with the incoming regime around the actual individual capabilities of the existing roster. It isn't that Poles isn't interested in protecting and developing JF1 (of course he is). He still has constraints, a culture to establish, a longer term view beyond '22 and a staff that he believes can prepare and protect and develop JF1 in the context of what he's doing. It's sort of an extreme position to act as if JF1 will die or fail if the Bears don't immediately and completely rebuild the Oline including securing the certainty of an Armstead class LT.

Completely absent from all the conversation about "needs" is what do we believe about the impact of Nagy on the perceptions of the viability of Bear players. The impression that can be drawn from the complaints about Poles' inaction (telegraphed and explained or not) is that many people believe that Nagy was coaching a bad team full of bad players. The blame is implied to be mostly on Pace, who ostensibly left Poles with a need to completely revamp (for example) the Oline. This is a concept that I personally reject. I believe Pace's failure was on several big picks and contracts from several years ago, plus I think he got too much stain on him from his support for Nagy (he made that bet, and lost). Basically, I place way more blame for recent failure on Nagy than Pace. I think the more people blame Nagy the more comfortable they are with what Poles is doing.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:44 pm Rich, deal with reality RIGHT NOW as I am. Don't try to obfuscate with projections.

Well if you think FA ends on March 23 - then I dont know what to tell you. That's just foolish.

"Obfuscate"

Simple question:

Do you project any, all, or some of Dalton, Hicks, Graham, and Ifedi to get a contract for next season from a non-Bears NFL team for 3 million or more.

It's not like these are unreasonable (7 Day 2 picks easy!!!!!!!!) projections.

So when a team signs Hicks for 1 year 5 million, and Dalton gets 1 year 4 million - (CRAZY!!!) - then you'll be fully in agreement with me?

But until then its head in the sand time?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am absolute gobsmacked by the way - that expecting 2 of 4 credible NFL players to be signed to credible NFL contracts is the equivalent of lying.

Just insanity.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

"For every Hicks or Dalton, I can give you an OPEN safety position or corner position or LB position or a possible DT signing (Ogun) or an OL position or a WR position or an H-Back position"

Ok. Give them to me. And then guess how many will be 1 year deals and/or less than 2.75 million a year. And what will be filled in the draft. Or who will be a FA still after the draft. Or FA who were cut by other teams

And MOST IMPORTANTLY these two things:
1). How many represent good players who you can count on for years to come? If you are turning down some non-injury prone superstar who is trying to sign a below market deal

2). Weigh those backend guys against a 3rd round pick (Remember you just had to get rid of Khalil Mack to get a 2nd) - This is - don't sign Morrow and a Rotational DE (Maybe you sign Myles Jack instead?) and we give you a 3rd out of the goodness of the CBA's heart
IE
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:41 am I don't see what most of this conversation has to do with Byron Pringle. There's already threads about being happy or not with Poles' approach. Which he openly described to manage expectations.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:19 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:44 pm Rich, deal with reality RIGHT NOW as I am. Don't try to obfuscate with projections.

Well if you think FA ends on March 23 - then I dont know what to tell you. That's just foolish.

"Obfuscate"

Simple question:

Do you project any, all, or some of Dalton, Hicks, Graham, and Ifedi to get a contract for next season from a non-Bears NFL team for 3 million or more.

It's not like these are unreasonable (7 Day 2 picks easy!!!!!!!!) projections.

So when a team signs Hicks for 1 year 5 million, and Dalton gets 1 year 4 million - (CRAZY!!!) - then you'll be fully in agreement with me?

But until then its head in the sand time?
So you want to be politician and simply refuse to answer the question through obfuscation. That tells me that you do NOT want to give up three of his signings. So you've already lost the argument and just refuse to admit it. And guess what, if we sign Bates you're going to be looking at FOUR Players to dump to get your third. The longer this goes on the worse it's going to get for you.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Why do you think the rest of March and April until the draft don't count exactly Yogi? Hint: They do matter and still count.

Does one need to consult the Oracle of Delphi to see a Hicks and Dalton signing? Do you disagree with my assumption?

Also you know Bates doesn't count against the Formula right? (I'm guessing you didn't really figure it out that there are a bunch of guys - some pretty good - that you can sign that don't count against the formula)

But honestly - Do you really not grasp that Dalton/Hicks count in these scenarios?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Like - If you think that 2 of these 4 won't get a NFL Deal (Hicks, Dalton, Graham, Ifedi)

That would be one thing - that would be "Rich, I respectively disagree with your baseline assumption of how many FA we are going to lose - thus I think your point is off the mark"

But instead - not answered - as if you think signing March 31 is different than today. Which - is just odd
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:20 am
IE wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:41 am I don't see what most of this conversation has to do with Byron Pringle. There's already threads about being happy or not with Poles' approach. Which he openly described to manage expectations.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:47 pm
IE wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:20 am
:rofl: :rofl:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Please separate it out if that's deemed best.

I'm still trying to figure out why Dalton and Hicks signing doesn't matter - its absolutely baffling
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

You missed your calling Rich. You dissemble with the best of them. You would have made a great Politician in the vein of all Chicago Politicians. Lightfoot has nothing on you. lol

You want me to recognize signings that haven't happened yet: Hicks, Dalton, Ifedi, and Graham, yet you absolutely refuse to recognize signings that we might make to fill holes: CB, S, LB, DT?, OL, WR, TE. Hopefully, one of those holes has been filled by Bates, who as an RFA won't count against the Compensatory Pick Formula, but there are still many other holes who would be best served by signing viable FAs rather than scrubs. Certainly enough to offset those Bear UFAs you are so certain of.

In fact, my whole argument has been BASED on the fact that we have many more holes than free agents who will be signed to be concerned about the Compensatory Pick Formula. You're demanding that I refute my own argument in acknowledging Bear Free Agents who may be signed while refusing to recognize holes that will be filled by Free Agents we have yet to sign. That would be foolish on my part.

I prefer to deal in actual reality as it is now. You should try being in the here and now Rich rather than trying to obfuscate reality with projection. I'll say what I say to the TV when listening to a politician: JUST ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION! Right now, we would have to give up three of Poles' signings to get a third rounder. Are you willing to do that? And if so what three would you give up?

And bringing it back to Pringle--I think he must be one of the three Poles' signings that Rich would give up in order to get a third round pick. Right Rich? lol
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi,

Deal with the realities. Please. The number of FA we lose ABSOLUTELY MATTERS. "I prefer to deal in actual reality as it is now"

You know what part of the reality is - March and April are still going to happen. If you disagree there - well then you probably have bigger fish to fry than arguing on a sports message board.

And there is a chance that Poles is playing it well - or a chance he's playing it poorly (either way - either too few or too many FA)

At least I don't have to be yelled at about Bates though right? (See your post above - I assume I'll get an apology there right? Or you'd at least acknowledge the error? Ha. I'm kidding- Of course you won't)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:47 pm

In fact, my whole argument has been BASED on the fact that we have many more holes than free agents who will be signed to be concerned about the Compensatory Pick Formula. You're demanding that I refute my own argument in acknowledging Bear Free Agents who may be signed while refusing to recognize holes that will be filled by Free Agents we have yet to sign. That would be foolish on my part.

You don't have to refute anything. You just have to start with the math being in the right ball park.

Your point CAN be even assuming Hicks/Dalton sign - You still think that FA 5/6 were necessary since we had so many needs/holes. I will disagree with you - but its Absolutely a position YOU can hold while acknowledging reality overall.

But if you ignore the compensatory formula itself - in a debate about the compensatory formula - you are missing a large part of the point

The things you need to factor in though (And so do I)
1). The value of a 3rd Rounder in the grand scheme

2). Alternatives - RFA and guys who were cut + guys who will sign after the draft

3) Length and value of deals. I.E. If you are turning down 3 year deals at undermarket for a guy that will help you all 3 years - That's a negative. If you are scotch taping a hole at 3rd LB with a 1 year deal - that's quite different

4) 2023 Comp outlook (We won't be major players for good comp picks is my take - you may disagree - You'd be wrong but you can disagree) - This relates mainly to the 1 year deals for 2022. (*)

(*) A lot of the 1 year deals for 2022 - if you aren't really going to be competitive - don't help you in the grand scheme
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Right now - if Dalton and Hicks sign (3 million +)

You can't have the rotational DE or Morrow (and possibly no Semien depending on his contract) - You still get a 3rd though.

and I can still sign a guy like Schobert or Kyle Van Noy for the LB hole (and if you were looking ahead the whole time (I.E. If your reality was one where FA was going to happen - not be a weird Sci-Fi type alternative future) - You could have signed other cut guys as well (Some of them are now off the market)

There is a chance that Poles is playing Chess - and is a cold hearted poker player - and Ifedi and Graham get signed for 3+ as well....then he gets his rotational DE and Morrow AND his 3rd (no Semien though)

I put the last statements odds relatively low though
wab
Mod

Jesus