Coach Likes M&M

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Like I said when he got hired get ready for the Coachisms. Yes this deserves its own thread. It's March.

The latest one is M&M and it relates to OL.

Motor & Mean.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with his thought process, it's just that I think we hired Ted Lasso which honestly isn't a bad thing. Prepare to be entertained.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... g-linemen/
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’ll believe it when I see it.
Motor and Mean is one thing but you need players too.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Of course he does:

:D
UOK
Site Admin

The coachiest coach who ever coached.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Talk is cheap. Lets see who makes the roster.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:30 am Talk is cheap. Lets see who makes the roster.
I'm not skeptical that the tough guy philosophy and attitude gets implemented.
I'm skeptical that the tough guy philosophy and attitude makes a rat's ass worth of difference beyond talent level.

And for that matter, I wonder about talented linemen who are filtered out of the acquisition process, because they aren't "mean enough".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Eh. The sentiment is nice, but talent IMO wins over attitude. You can kind of teach aggressiveness, you can't just pull talent out of the air.

Lachavious Simmons was supposed to be a mean SOB coming out of college...but I'm not sure he has any business on the roster.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 am
Mikefive wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:30 am Talk is cheap. Lets see who makes the roster.
I'm skeptical that the tough guy philosophy and attitude makes a rat's ass worth of difference beyond talent level.

And for that matter, I wonder about talented linemen who are filtered out of the acquisition process, because they aren't "mean enough".
So does this mean that this is a benefit to the player in our search?

Personally, I'm hoping for Turner: Five straight Pro Bowls with Carolina. Don't know what his problems were with the Chargers and why they released him after one year or why Pitt didn't resign him (maybe because of the spitting incident). He did allow six sacks (most of his career), but he also provided stability to the Pitt line and has been described as their best lineman by some Pitt pundits.

He has the speed and quickness for our offense. He's only 28. He signed a one year 3 mil contract with Pitt. He's also a true RG and a great run blocker. There's some good analysis tape on him on Youtube and some bad. It seems to me though that at least the tape of him against KC, he was playing hurt. Seems he'd be a prime candidate for a low one year prove it deal, the kind Poles has been talking about.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:23 am

So does this mean that this is a benefit to the player in our search?

Personally, I'm hoping for Turner: Five straight Pro Bowls with Carolina. Don't know what his problems were with the Chargers and why they released him after one year or why Pitt didn't resign him (maybe because of the spitting incident). He did allow six sacks (most of his career), but he also provided stability to the Pitt line and has been described as their best lineman by some Pitt pundits.

He has the speed and quickness for our offense. He's only 28. He signed a one year 3 mil contract with Pitt. He's also a true RG and a great run blocker. There's some good analysis tape on him on Youtube and some bad. It seems to me though that at least the tape of him against KC, he was playing hurt. Seems he'd be a prime candidate for a low one year prove it deal, the kind Poles has been talking about. That, and he's mean enough to spit on a player. lol
karhu
Head Coach

It's already a little exhausting. On the one hand, there's not much else for Eberflus to do while the roster's still coming together, and if this is his idea of setting the tone, fine. But I'm starting to get serious late-Lovie-era vibes.

Like a bunch of us have already said, talent will out. Eberflus could lose the room pretty quickly if he treats the most talented players on the team like they're in need of some sort of artificial injection of focus and motivation. The best players on the team don't need that sort of noise, except insofar as it keeps less-motivated players accountable and keeps the good 'uns from feeling like chumps for working hard. They do need the coaching staff to scout well, scheme well, and put everyone in a position to succeed. If everyone's full of M&M and SHIT (or whatever the acronym of the day was five weeks ago), that's fine. But it's not enough.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Everyone that makes an NFL roster has talent. Some coaches are able to maximize that talent through scheming and motivation.

Other coaches have an ego that doesn’t allow them to play to a team’s strengths if those strengths don’t align with what they want to do.

I’m happy to allow a coach the opportunity to do the former after years of the latter.

And I will say we have a much better idea of the football identity Eberflus wants for his team than we ever did with Nagy or Fox or Trestman.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:01 am It's already a little exhausting. On the one hand, there's not much else for Eberflus to do while the roster's still coming together, and if this is his idea of setting the tone, fine. But I'm starting to get serious late-Lovie-era vibes.

Like a bunch of us have already said, talent will out. Eberflus could lose the room pretty quickly if he treats the most talented players on the team like they're in need of some sort of artificial injection of focus and motivation. The best players on the team don't need that sort of noise, except insofar as it keeps less-motivated players accountable and keeps the good 'uns from feeling like chumps for working hard. They do need the coaching staff to scout well, scheme well, and put everyone in a position to succeed. If everyone's full of M&M and SHIT (or whatever the acronym of the day was five weeks ago), that's fine. But it's not enough.
I follow this post. I would rather hear a coach talk about teaching and learning. Save the M&M's for the pre-game pep talk..
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

I get it's a bit hokey and Lassoesque. But I do like the focus both Poles and Flus have on some mental makeup / characteristics that they want to have on their team. And the fact that it keeps coming up in every interview tells me their serious about it - it's not just word salad for them even if it comes off as coach speak (which I agree it does).

I disagree about "teaching attitude" into a player. Some people are just born nasty MFers, and I'll take those dudes in a brawl any day over a bigger, stronger softy.

In my very first padded practice as a freshman in HS, I had to hold the blocking pads as a defender while we ran through a run play concept. The WR, who I knew all through my childhood, was much smaller than me and we'd played all sorts of sports as kids together and I used to kick his ass at stuff all the time. But when the whistle blew, he came at me like a spider monkey - I was all lax and not ready for it - and he pushed me around like a bitch. I was embarrassed, grabbed his facemask and slung him to the ground - and was sent off to run perimeters until I puked. I learned not to be so lax going forward - so yea you can be taught stuff like that. But truth be told, I never had the attitude to be a good football player. He was much smaller and not nearly as natural an athlete as I was, but he was a better football player throughout HS than me, simply because he worked harder at it and always "stuck his nose in there" so to speak. Same with our team captain, a small guy who played MLB for us and ended up with a scholarship to play LAX at Johns Hopkins - not a great athlete per se, 100% attitude and effort guy.

Lastly, I'd contract Pace / Poles this way. Pace valued high character guys, good locker room guys, professionals. I never gave Nagy all the credit for our teams not quitting on him, I always credited the players, and by extension Pace for acquiring those players. This is a good thing that Pace did. However, he valued character but did NOT value aggression IMO. He filled our locker room with a bunch of nice guys. Poles seems to want dogs.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:51 amLastly, I'd contract Pace / Poles this way. Pace valued high character guys, good locker room guys, professionals. I never gave Nagy all the credit for our teams not quitting on him, I always credited the players, and by extension Pace for acquiring those players. This is a good thing that Pace did. However, he valued character but did NOT value aggression IMO. He filled our locker room with a bunch of nice guys. Poles seems to want dogs.
I'd agree with this. High character is important to both, I think; but Poles definitely seems to want guys who can flip the switch, so to speak, once they're on the field.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
karhu
Head Coach

Interesting how different people define "character."

New England cut Steve McMichael a year after spending a third-rounder on him, apparently because they didn't like his attitude. He comes here, to a defense led by Dan Hampton and Buddy Ryan, and he's the picture of diligence, consistency, and productivity.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:40 pm Interesting how different people define "character."

New England cut Steve McMichael a year after spending a third-rounder on him, apparently because they didn't like his attitude. He comes here, to a defense led by Dan Hampton and Buddy Ryan, and he's the picture of diligence, consistency, and productivity.
Thanks for an interesting piece of history that I had never heard until now.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Football is highly competitive and values guys who scrap. Absent a few secondary players who seemed to veer away from tackling (cough cough Deion), you ain't in the league unless you have a warrior's mentality. But some do have it stronger.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?