This Offseason is Off The Rails

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Never seen anything even close to it. Wilson and Watson traded as well as Adams and Hill. Now this trade between the Saints and the Eagles. The upcoming draft, I'm sure, will furnish more fireworks.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The NO - PHI trade is enormous given that the draft isn't ongoing so nobody knows which players are dropping to where.

Another thing is that I'm wondering if the QB position has gotten massively overvalued. Both from a draft choice compensation and salary cap standpoint.

The Seahawks got 2 firsts, 2 seconds, a fifth, and players for Russell Wilson.

And Wilson is on the downslope of his career, he's still good, and he's taken a shit load of hits.

Then you get the $40M per year mega deals that kick your salary cap square in the nuts.

Just humor me on this, what could the Chiefs get for Mahomes? Say that you could get 4 firsts, 4 seconds, and an All-Pro player. I don't know if I'd do it, but that would be awfully hard to walk away from given that you can draft a QB (obviously most likely not as good), but then have $40M in cap relief, 3 additional firsts, and 4 seconds.
UOK
Site Admin

This is a strange offseason, to be certain. The NFL loves it, but personally it kind of gives me a headache.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:06 am Just humor me on this, what could the Chiefs get for Mahomes? Say that you could get 4 firsts, 4 seconds, and an All-Pro player. I don't know if I'd do it, but that would be awfully hard to walk away from given that you can draft a QB (obviously most likely not as good), but then have $40M in cap relief, 3 additional firsts, and 4 seconds.
The best QB in the league. Still young, a few nicks but nothing major. SB win, numerous appearances in AFC championship games and another SB. Great character. Four 1sts, a couple of 3rds and 4ths, maybe a player (has to be more than Watson brought). The team trading for him has to be left with some ability to draft players.

Back in '17, I know the Bears had offers for their 3rd pick (the Jets, maybe others), which ultimately resulted in Mitch. Can you imagine if they had moved the pick for the Jets #6, got at least another 2nd, picked a different QB? The 'what-if' game ....
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.