Steelers QB Dwayne Haskins dies in accident

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Apparently Trubisky invited a bunch of players to train with him. Dude was just 24.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/04/09/s ... h-florida/
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Christ. I saw from the article that he has a wife, but I didn't see a mention of children. Hopefully he was smart with the money and his family won't need for much as life goes on.

His poor mother. That's just awful. Imagine being his parents today.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Crazy, it was on the local news here about 595 being shut down because of a pedestrian accident - it's about 20 minutes south of where I live. Just heard who the pedestrian was...
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

R.I.P. Dwayne :(

Condolences to his family
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Crazy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I dont want to sound callous because it's still sad. Every time we have had something like this is a suicide. It pisses me off too, if your going to off yourself don't bring others into it.

I'm not saying that's what happened, as I am wrong a lot. But I'd put money on it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I don't get why he was walking amongst traffic on an interstate ... that just doesn't seem to be the sort of decision most would undertake ... did his car break down? that might explain it if he didn't have his cell phone ... other than that, the only other reasons I can think of are all negative and related to substances of some kind ... and we may well never know the real reason
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:31 am I don't get why he was walking amongst traffic on an interstate ... that just doesn't seem to be the sort of decision most would undertake ... did his car break down? that might explain it if he didn't have his cell phone ... other than that, the only other reasons I can think of are all negative and related to substances of some kind ... and we may well never know the real reason
Dunno.
Barring some really unusual circumstance, it seems like the mostly likely explanations are:
  • Suicide
  • Substance abuse
  • Mental problems
  • Just really not being very bright
Gil Brandt took a lot of heat for describing him as "a guy living to be dead". But that could well be a very accurate assessment.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Pretty sure he was up early, running / working out - tried to cross that highway which is an absolute shit show of a road, accidents all the time there.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

why in the world would working out and running involve dancing through traffic on an interstate? there is something more going on for that to seem like a reasonable thing to do, but we will probably never know the real reason as the only person who knew is now dead
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

Yeah, the only witness account I've read said that he was trying to cross the interstate. Maybe something fell out of his car and he was trying to retrieve it? Who knows.
Xee
Site Admin

Turns out his car had run out of gas and he was trying to walk to a gas station. Just tragic.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:58 am Turns out his car had run out of gas and he was trying to walk to a gas station. Just tragic.

Thx for sharing Xee. This is exactly why you wait for the details to come out before saying dumb things. Anyone who suggested he had a mental problem or was on drugs should be embarrassed, and Gil Brandt should have been fired long ago IMO. He's an obvious racist POS. That road has accidents ALL THE TIME, it's a total shit show.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so he ran out of gas but he did have a cellphone ... so why not call for roadside assistance? he was certainly safer waiting in his car than walking through traffic

a tragic accident that could have been avoided ... is there a gas station near that area? did he see the gas station sign and figure he could make it there with no problem?

the 911 woman who witnessed the accident certainly seemed shaken up ... was she yelling at Haskins to get out of the road? could Haskins hear here above traffic noise? I could understand her reluctance to stop as there are so many dangerous weirdos out there but it sounds like from the call she actually saw Haskins get hit ... that has to shake you up

so again, why was he walking in traffic on an interstate highway? that's the big question we may never know the answer to
George Carlin
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Whatever the circumstances this is tragic for Haskins his family and the motorist who hit him.

Mental illness (and I include drug addiction) wouldn’t make something like this any less tragic for me.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Xee
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:08 pmso again, why was he walking in traffic on an interstate highway? that's the big question we may never know the answer to
I don't think there's anything more to it than he just made a bad decision. I'd wager there's more people than you think who think that trying to cross a 4-lane freeway is like trying to cause a city street. He probably didn't realize until he was in the first lane that cars were moving way faster than he thought but by then it was too late.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:08 pm so he ran out of gas but he did have a cellphone ... so why not call for roadside assistance? he was certainly safer waiting in his car than walking through traffic

a tragic accident that could have been avoided ... is there a gas station near that area? did he see the gas station sign and figure he could make it there with no problem?

the 911 woman who witnessed the accident certainly seemed shaken up ... was she yelling at Haskins to get out of the road? could Haskins hear here above traffic noise? I could understand her reluctance to stop as there are so many dangerous weirdos out there but it sounds like from the call she actually saw Haskins get hit ... that has to shake you up

so again, why was he walking in traffic on an interstate highway? that's the big question we may never know the answer to
To get gas? Dumb, sure, but I've actually done it myself once on I95 many years ago. I was young and dumb, about Haskins age actually. I'd never do it now.
You think you have more time to cross than you do, particularly when cars are going 90 MPH, which on that road they do all the time.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:32 pm
Boris13c wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:08 pm so he ran out of gas but he did have a cellphone ... so why not call for roadside assistance? he was certainly safer waiting in his car than walking through traffic

To get gas? Dumb, sure, but I've actually done it myself once on I95 many years ago. I was young and dumb, about Haskins age actually. I'd never do it now.
You think you have more time to cross than you do, particularly when cars are going 90 MPH, which on that road they do all the time.
This.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: