Bears WR discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

I worry that Deebo needs Shanahan to replicate that success. He was used perfectly there, would it translate here? 🤔
RichH55
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:32 am i'm trading next year's first for deebo and giving him a monster frontloaded contract, then i'm struggling to act normal with the giant erection i've got from a deebo/mooney combo, that is lasting much longer than 4 hours.

all this recent talk about deebo and the 9ers being on the outs is giving my bored offseason brain fits.
I think the 49ers and Deebo is such a good fit. They will obviously struggle to replace him if he goes - but also I think Deebo will struggle to find a team that uses him as well as SF
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:39 am I worry that Deebo needs Shanahan to replicate that success. He was used perfectly there, would it translate here? 🤔
Beat me to it by one minute - ha
Xee
Site Admin

RustinFields wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:32 am i'm trading next year's first for deebo and giving him a monster frontloaded contract, then i'm struggling to act normal with the giant erection i've got from a deebo/mooney combo, that is lasting much longer than 4 hours.

all this recent talk about deebo and the 9ers being on the outs is giving my bored offseason brain fits.
I dunno, if we were one WR away from being competitive, I'd go for it. But we got a lot of holes to fill and by giving up draft capital we're just going to make it harder to build a competitive team.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:40 am
dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:39 am I worry that Deebo needs Shanahan to replicate that success. He was used perfectly there, would it translate here? 🤔
Beat me to it by one minute - ha
Get a room you two :love:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

malagabears
Journeyman

Strictly going off of the remaining FA market for WR's there isn't much left. PFF has an article up ranking Brown, Jones, & OBJ in their final top 11. Of those I would only really look at Jones on a 1 year flyer and try for one of the few high-upside WR's that may fall to 39. I can't see Poles sacrificing any draft capital to move up to try to snag Olave (as good of a fit as it may be). Or even trading for Deebo or AJ Brown.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-best-landi ... ree-agents
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

malagabears wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm Strictly going off of the remaining FA market for WR's there isn't much left. PFF has an article up ranking Brown, Jones, & OBJ in their final top 11. Of those I would only really look at Jones on a 1 year flyer and try for one of the few high-upside WR's that may fall to 39. I can't see Poles sacrificing any draft capital to move up to try to snag Olave (as good of a fit as it may be). Or even trading for Deebo or AJ Brown.

How about offering Quinn plus #39 to say “the Giants” for pick #19.
They don’t have a second round pick as it stands but they have 3 first round picks (7, 10 and 19)

Something like that?

malagabears
Journeyman

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:33 pm
malagabears wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:24 pm Strictly going off of the remaining FA market for WR's there isn't much left. PFF has an article up ranking Brown, Jones, & OBJ in their final top 11. Of those I would only really look at Jones on a 1 year flyer and try for one of the few high-upside WR's that may fall to 39. I can't see Poles sacrificing any draft capital to move up to try to snag Olave (as good of a fit as it may be). Or even trading for Deebo or AJ Brown.

They don’t have a second round pick as it stands but they have 3 first round picks (7, 10 and 19)

Something like that?
That could work but you would have to be absolutely sure Olave will be on the boards. 2 problems:

1. I just mentioned that he would have to be available.
2. I know Quinn is not part of the long term plans but it would weaken our DE starter pool.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I just don't know that anyone really wants Quinn at his age and with his contract all that much.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:41 pm I just don't know that anyone really wants Quinn at his age and with his contract all that much.
Has to be a team with short term ambitions and a team that wants our #39.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

malagabears wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:39 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:33 pm

Something like that?
That could work but you would have to be absolutely sure Olave will be on the boards. 2 problems:

1. I just mentioned that he would have to be available.
2. I know Quinn is not part of the long term plans but it would weaken our DE starter pool.
1) I guess you scope out the possibility of a deal in advance and then pull the trigger if Olave is there.

2) I think Flus has proven he can get the defense to function without star players. We have Mohammed and Gipson as DE.

One thing is for sure, Fields wants Olave.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:41 pm I just don't know that anyone really wants Quinn at his age and with his contract all that much.
Couldn’t the bears offer to absorb some of his contract this year to sweeten the deal? We have the cap space this year and we’d be drafting a rookie.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

#1: Poles, don't be trading away a 2023 1st rounder for Samuels, don't start that practice;
#2: The Chiefs strike me as a team which could offer a 1st this year and have the offense to use Samuels' talents if he is moved.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Getsy is a new OC and I don't have faith that he'll figure out a way to make a big Deebo signing work. I'm all for trading for a high-end WR but not this one please.

As for Quinn, I still believe he has trade value and we discussed good fits in another thread. I think I was leaning Cowboys...? I love Olave and I'd be happy for the Bears to ship Quinn out and use the new resources to make a reasonable deal to get into the teens if Olave is there.
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Landry is the only FA I'd probably sign right now. Otherwise let's see how draft goes and address after.

Don't think they can justify big trade packages for any of the big young names that are rumored to be on move. The Parker+5 for 3 type swap is one I would have seriously considered though. Something in that vein would be the best bet though IMO. Not a multi pick haul for Deebo, Brown, or McLaurin.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I agree that I wouldn't do a multi-pick haul for those guys - BUT - I would send next years first for one of them. One draft pick, exchanged for an elite player at a position we need to draft anyways, is a 1:1 exchange and doesn't set Poles back at all in his rebuild process - it accelerates it. Also would allow Poles to draft into our other many needs this year and not force a WR choice if it's not there.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:42 pm I agree that I wouldn't do a multi-pick haul for those guys - BUT - I would send next years first for one of them. One draft pick, exchanged for an elite player at a position we need to draft anyways, is a 1:1 exchange and doesn't set Poles back at all in his rebuild process - it accelerates it. Also would allow Poles to draft into our other many needs this year and not force a WR choice if it's not there.
100%
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:42 pm I agree that I wouldn't do a multi-pick haul for those guys - BUT - I would send next years first for one of them. One draft pick, exchanged for an elite player at a position we need to draft anyways, is a 1:1 exchange and doesn't set Poles back at all in his rebuild process - it accelerates it. Also would allow Poles to draft into our other many needs this year and not force a WR choice if it's not there.
There's a hypothetical me doing that deal at the beginning of the offseason, but based on how it'd gone, I'm not super confident in just parting with the 2023 number 1. I don't know if they can make a serious push where it's just a 20 something pick they actually end up parting with.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

On Deebo: From what I understand, he wants out of San Fran because he doesn't want to be used as a RB anymore. To me, that was half of his value as a player--the ability to be switched from WR to RB and back. In fact, 8 of his 14 TDs last year came through runs. If he wants to go someplace where he won't be used as a RB, I say no. Why would we want somebody who would insist on giving up half of his value in the deal?
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:25 pm
There's a hypothetical me doing that deal at the beginning of the offseason, but based on how it'd gone, I'm not super confident in just parting with the 2023 number 1. I don't know if they can make a serious push where it's just a 20 something pick they actually end up parting with.
Depends on which player IMO. If it’s Brown or Metcalf, I’d do it in a heartbeat and would consider it a win even if we ended up giving up a top 5 pick. The other two aren’t quite the same caliber (Samuel for the reasons Yogi just mentioned, why lose half of his value?)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

There is a real risk the pick will be Top 5-10
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Holy shit guys, Deebo had 1405 receiving yards last year with barely above replacement level jimmy G throwing to him (good for 5th in the league!). His average yards per reception was 18.2, with the highest average yards per catch in the league! They didnt even start using him as a rusher until halfway through the season when it was obvious he was the best player on their team.

AT THE BARE LEAST look at his splits from last season before declaring "half his value is as a rusher." He was averaging over 100 receiving yards per game (GOOD FOR SECOND IN THE LEAGUE) before they started using him as a rusher in an offense where everyone in the country was begging for garrapolo's benching.

YEESH guys. YEESH.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

A look at where WRs have been drafted in the past 5 years. The Bears can strike gold with any of their first 3 picks although guys chosen between 39 and 48 have made the least contribution:

https://beargoggleson.com/2022/04/21/ch ... ceiver-wr/
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:14 pm Holy shit guys, Deebo had 1405 receiving yards last year with barely above replacement level jimmy G throwing to him (good for 5th in the league!). His average yards per reception was 18.2, with the highest average yards per catch in the league! They didnt even start using him as a rusher until halfway through the season when it was obvious he was the best player on their team.

AT THE BARE LEAST look at his splits from last season before declaring "half his value is as a rusher." He was averaging over 100 receiving yards per game (GOOD FOR SECOND IN THE LEAGUE) before they started using him as a rusher in an offense where everyone in the country was begging for garrapolo's benching.

YEESH guys. YEESH.
TDs: rushing - 11; receiving 10. Rushing Yards per carry: 6.71

Three Playoff Game stats:
Rushing 239 yards, 1 TD; receiving stats 281 yards, 1 TD.

His rushing stats might not be half, but they were a huge part of his game last year, particularly in crunch time like the playoffs. Don't know why you would trade for somebody whose rushing stats were that big a part of his game who no longer wanted to do that. Without those stats, his value would be horribly inflated.
malagabears
Journeyman

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:52 pm Getsy is a new OC and I don't have faith that he'll figure out a way to make a big Deebo signing work. I'm all for trading for a high-end WR but not this one please.

As for Quinn, I still believe he has trade value and we discussed good fits in another thread. I think I was leaning Cowboys...? I love Olave and I'd be happy for the Bears to ship Quinn out and use the new resources to make a reasonable deal to get into the teens if Olave is there.
What say you Bears nation? Tons of issues but tremendous upside & 3 years left on his contract.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

malagabears wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:03 am
crueltyabc wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:52 pm Getsy is a new OC and I don't have faith that he'll figure out a way to make a big Deebo signing work. I'm all for trading for a high-end WR but not this one please.

What say you Bears nation? Tons of issues but tremendous upside & 3 years left on his contract.

Depends on the deal and his mental state.
Is he going to be professional and work hard?

If his head is straight then I’m definitely in :thumbsup:

artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Imo, the bears aren’t trading for a wr and probably will not draft a receiver until the 3rd round. I think they’re looking at an offensive linemen and a 3T in round 2.
dplank
Hall of Famer

They just spent a high pick on him and want him gone now? That makes no sense at all, I don’t want someone else’s problem.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

A previous GM overdrafted a guy and he’s had injuries. It doesn’t have to be true that he’s a bad teammate or something else… maybe he’s just an asset to the new GM that prefers something else at WR.

EDIT: btw I never loved him so I wouldn’t pay much for an ATH you hope to make into Percy Harvin maybe someday maybe but I don’t think he’s trash. A team that’s good at developing WRs can probably make him into something.
xyt in the discord chats
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Why do I feel like the Giants trading Toney after one year would be like Pace trying to trade White after one year?