Bears WR discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:56 pm
RustinFields wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:14 pm Holy shit guys, Deebo had 1405 receiving yards last year with barely above replacement level jimmy G throwing to him (good for 5th in the league!). His average yards per reception was 18.2, with the highest average yards per catch in the league! They didnt even start using him as a rusher until halfway through the season when it was obvious he was the best player on their team.

AT THE BARE LEAST look at his splits from last season before declaring "half his value is as a rusher." He was averaging over 100 receiving yards per game (GOOD FOR SECOND IN THE LEAGUE) before they started using him as a rusher in an offense where everyone in the country was begging for garrapolo's benching.

YEESH guys. YEESH.
TDs: rushing - 11; receiving 10. Rushing Yards per carry: 6.71

Three Playoff Game stats:
Rushing 239 yards, 1 TD; receiving stats 281 yards, 1 TD.

His rushing stats might not be half, but they were a huge part of his game last year, particularly in crunch time like the playoffs. Don't know why you would trade for somebody whose rushing stats were that big a part of his game who no longer wanted to do that. Without those stats, his value would be horribly inflated.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Debo Samuel Rushing Stats:

TDs: 8 (tied for 10th)
YPC: 6.2 (third)
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:01 am Debo Samuel Rushing Stats:

Yeah, he's great at rushing. He's also great at receiving. Why are you pretending he's not currently a top 5 receiver in the league because he's also good at rushing? 5th in receiving yards. 3rd in 20+ yard receptions. Tied for first in 40+ yard receptions. 2nd in YAC. All with Jimmy G throwing him the ball, all with defenses knowing he's the focus of that offense.
I get this is the internet, and you have to double down on your moronic hot take, so shame on me for aguing, but he's not opposed to being used as a wide back. HE DOES want to be paid before everyone starts talking about how he's not worth a second contract because he's taken too many hits.
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

TMZ
@TMZ
· 10m
Bears WR Byron Pringle was arrested Saturday in Florida after police say they busted him doing donuts in his Hellcat on a suspended license, with his child in the car. Cops say the 4x pro was "verbally confrontational." https://tmz.com/2022/04/24/nfl-chicago- ... social-twa

May go a bit heavier on WR's on Friday than I first thought
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:28 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:01 am Debo Samuel Rushing Stats:

Yeah, he's great at rushing. He's also great at receiving. Why are you pretending he's not currently a top 5 receiver in the league because he's also good at rushing? 5th in receiving yards. 3rd in 20+ yard receptions. Tied for first in 40+ yard receptions. 2nd in YAC. All with Jimmy G throwing him the ball, all with defenses knowing he's the focus of that offense.
I get this is the internet, and you have to double down on your moronic hot take, so shame on me for aguing, but he's not opposed to being used as a wide back. HE DOES want to be paid before everyone starts talking about how he's not worth a second contract because he's taken too many hits.
I'm not saying he's not a good receiver. Where are you getting that? I'm saying that more than a third of his value comes from his rushing ability. If he wants out because he doesn't want to do that anymore, than his value is going to be inflated because it's going to reflect at least partially his rushing ability which he doesn't want to do anymore. Why are you refusing to recognize his rushing ability? And why are you willing to pay him an inflated amount that is most likely based in part on a role he no longer wants to do?
malk
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:10 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:47 pm
Also, he hit the Proven Performance Escalators so his cost went up. Obviously had he been producing well, no big deal, but the combo seems perhaps impactful.
Somebody here (you?) pointed out recently that the PPE really shouldn't count against the cap, in part for precisely this reason.

(Also 35% of snaps is a pretty dubious standard to be using. A starting HB like Montgomery who's logging 75% of snaps - yeah, he shouldn't be making minimum. A WR who logged less than 480 yards over 3 years - less than 160 per? That's not a guy who needs a special bonus.)
It me. It'd cost the league peanuts and be pretty good for player development.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

It's not that I'd mind trading a 2023 1st for a kid like Olave but we'd probably be better off emotionally by believing it's never gonna happen like that. And as for Samuel that trade plus paying him as a top WR only works if you still believe in the tooth fairy and you'll find him under your pillow in the morning.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Olave saga is getting a feel like last year when no-one thought we could get Fields.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bearfacts
MVP

But under a much different thinking previous GM whose hobby was trading up on draft day. It's not impossible to get a kid like Olave as long as you're willing to pay someone's price who also has the pick that will allow you to do it.
IE
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:10 am The Olave saga is getting a feel like last year when no-one thought we could get Fields.
You tease.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears are bringing in free agent WR Keith Kirkwood for a visit. Kirkwood, 27, entered the NFL in 2018 as a UDFA. He played in nine games for the New Orleans Saints across two seasons before joining the Carolina Panthers. Kirkwood played in four games for Carolina over the past two seasons. For his career, Kirkwood has caught 17 passes for 239 yards and two touchdowns.

Can the Bears stop shopping in the bargain basement bin if they want to bring in a free agent WR? Like someone who might actually help somewhat next season?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

Join me in being excited about this acquisition. The second Poles was hired and knowing he was a FA I thought "no brainer". It was/is.

2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Seems like there a couple of young guys (younger than Velus) on other teams who will be looking at very reduced roles this year and might be available for very low round draft picks. Several have produced better seasons than guys the Bears have already signed. I wonder if Poles will give them a look-see.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Hey everyone! I've been lurking for some time now and haven't posted in a while. It's good to still see some familiar names (MikeFive, thunderspirit, Moriarty, etc.) I'm accustomed to seeing from back in the old school forum days when I was more active.

As far as the WR discussion, I know some of the media and lots of fans felt that the Velus Jones, Jr. pick was a reach in R3. It might have been because the Bears didn't have a R4 pick and he was most likely gone before R5 started. But I do think that Poles had Jones rated fairly high on his board. I also think he's going to make a fairly large impact on the offense and special teams this season - more than most fans/media think. Obviously ESB and Pringle are placeholders IMO - not part of the long term plans. I don't think we see a big splash at WR until next offseason (FA and/or draft). Priority should still be to build a dominant OL up front. However, I am excited to see what Mooney and Jones do this season with a healthy Fields.
Never Die Easy
thunderspirit
Head Coach

DSF! What's happening, my dude? 😁
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:46 pm DSF! What's happening, my dude? 😁
Life is good man, I can't complain! How's everything on your end?
Never Die Easy
thunderspirit
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:03 am
thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:46 pm DSF! What's happening, my dude? 😁
Growing older but not up. :lol:

I mean, I could always complain, but it wouldn't do any good, you know? And I've been incredibly fortunate in this life, so complaining that things ain't perfect seems disingenuous.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:42 am
DaSuperfan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:03 am

I mean, I could always complain, but it wouldn't do any good, you know? And I've been incredibly fortunate in this life, so complaining that things ain't perfect seems disingenuous.
That's great to hear! It's been a while so I'm looking forward to getting back on the boards more frequently. I do think the Bears WR core isn't as terrible as people are going to make it out to be. Mooney and Jones, Jr. could be real weapons and building blocks heading into 2023. I think 2023 is the offseason that Poles will be more aggressive in FA and he'll have a fairly high R1 pick to help out as well.
Never Die Easy
RichH55
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:23 pm

That's great to hear! It's been a while so I'm looking forward to getting back on the boards more frequently. I do think the Bears WR core isn't as terrible as people are going to make it out to be. Mooney and Jones, Jr. could be real weapons and building blocks heading into 2023. I think 2023 is the offseason that Poles will be more aggressive in FA and he'll have a fairly high R1 pick to help out as well.
It's interesting- in the super super super early looks at the 2023 Draft. If the Bears had a top 4 pick - I kind of feel it would be the Georgia DT even over the best WR on the board
docc
Head Coach

What about Will Fuller..WR with quicks..cheap too//
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Age, injury history, and probably still wants at least $10M per year.

Other possibilities although they'd have to come via trade (albeit a 7th or so): KJ Hamler, Broncos; Denzel Mims, Jets; Darius Slayton, Giants. All are younger than Jones, not going to make big impacts on their teams any more, highly regarded coming out of college.
Bearfacts
MVP

It seems that Poles has enough cap to pick up more vet help wherever he and Flus feel they need it but for that we may have to wait.

June OTA are coming up after which we may see more guys on the street and once the Bears coaches can evaluate players with pads on in camp we may know just how motivated Poles is to add more vets at positions where we may be weak or thin. We're not out of options.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:25 am Age, injury history, and probably still wants at least $10M per year.

Other possibilities although they'd have to come via trade (albeit a 7th or so): KJ Hamler, Broncos; Denzel Mims, Jets; Darius Slayton, Giants. All are younger than Jones, not going to make big impacts on their teams any more, highly regarded coming out of college.
Amazingly he's still only 28 Grizzled.

He is absolutely dynamite when healthy though - He's like a real under the radar Top 15 type When healthy.

Of course - He is rarely healthy - he's a ferrari - but usually in the shop

Personally I wouldn't sign him for our situation currently

If there was the OL version of him - For a 1 year deal - relatively cheap - I'd be all over that - WR much less so
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

DaSuperfan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:23 pm

Good to see ya DSF! I agree that our WR's are going to come out and surprise early, before they need to adjust to what teams do to take away what we're doing. And we might struggle against defenses that are just loaded with talent, but even those I think we'll be able to move the ball.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

New video about Pringle's skill set.

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Schefter is again stirring up DK Metcalf trade rumors and I want to reiterate that he's exactly what the Bears need
xyt in the discord chats
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:09 pm Schefter is again stirring up DK Metcalf trade rumors and I want to reiterate that he's exactly what the Bears need
100%. I'm rock hard even thinking about the slightest, most MINUTE possibility of this happening. Fully engorged.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:09 pm Schefter is again stirring up DK Metcalf trade rumors and I want to reiterate that he's exactly what the Bears need
What/Where did he say if you don't mind - very curious
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yes please.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:46 pm
Yes please.
They are going to want a 1st - there is a strong chance we are picking Top 5 to Top 10

You want to deal that to pay Metcalf?