The "Gardner Minshew" Memorial Thread of Whatever

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I heard just looking at that photo can get a chick knocked up. It makes me question my sexuality.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Interesting fact:
His grandfather originally wanted Minshew to be named Beowulf, after the Old English hero, but his parents rejected the idea.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:24 am Interesting fact:
His grandfather originally wanted Minshew to be named Beowulf, after the Old English hero, but his parents rejected the idea.
Gosh that would've been amazing.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Please tell me that is actually true
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:20 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:57 pm

Marshall - hate to give you a Sophie's Choice like this

BUT - More Heroic (eat your heart out Audie Murphy)

Fields or Minshew?

Edit: While we're on the topic. That's what this team desperately needs. Personality.

Where are the Lamborghinis? The Ferrari's. The fur coats? Armies upon armies of half naked women accompanying these guys into training camp or waiting for them outside of Halas Hall?

Jim McMahon showing up to training camp carrying cases of beer. Dave Duerson barking at people. Mongo staring at people like Hannibal Lecter.

While I do think there's a good chance we could have a surprising team next year, the likelihood is that we suck. Let's at least have some style then.

I think we are saving all of those things - The Women, The Cars, the Furs - for the Punt God Matt Ariza when we draft him
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:09 pm

Please tell me that is actually true
It seriously is.

https://www.sportscasting.com/gardner-m ... gainst-it/
malk
Head Coach

I always though Grendel was the cooler name, though probably even more difficult to get approval for!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:24 pm

I always though Grendel was the cooler name, though probably even more difficult to get approval for!
Thats why you have multiple kids
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

malk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:24 pm

Although if you wanted him to be a Bear, he should be named after the monster. ;)

Although to me, Grendel is too much like a distillation of Hansel and Gretel.
IE
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:48 am I heard just looking at that photo can get a chick knocked up. It makes me question my sexuality.
ROFL

"With a fire in his belly and stones in his sack"... that's testosterone-drenched poetry right there.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:08 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:48 am I heard just looking at that photo can get a chick knocked up. It makes me question my sexuality.
ROFL

"With a fire in his belly and stones in his sack"... that's testosterone-drenched poetry right there.
I will hate Ryan Pace like no other for not trading for Minshew. A fucking 6th round pick? For THIS level of entertainment?

Shit that’s a better deal than Netflix.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:24 pm I always though Grendel was the cooler name, though probably even more difficult to get approval for!
I seem to recall Beowulf ripped Grendel's arm off. Not sure there would be much demand for a one-armed QB. :D
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:31 pm
malk wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:24 pm I always though Grendel was the cooler name, though probably even more difficult to get approval for!
I seem to recall Beowulf ripped Grendel's arm off. Not sure there would be much demand for a one-armed QB. :D
Which arm is missing?

Throwing or non-throwing arm?
malk
Head Coach

Classic Bears QB. Then in act two they take out Grendel's modor, Ginny.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The greatness continues....

That dumbass Pace could've made this franchise entertaining for years by trading a sixth round pick. But no, we got that has-been Andy Dalton for $10M instead.

The Great One is selling his bus. It even has a Samurai sword in it and other Samurai stuff. The pisser is that I just bought a car so I'm out of the market. But you guys though, you might want to scoop this up.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

You just have to play alot of Def Leopard to pump up the crowd
IE
Hall of Famer

Minshew is the BEST. He's just authentically cool. I hope he gets an opportunity to play more, and on a good team. There's nobody in the league I'm rooting harder for including individual Bears. I just have full admiration for GM.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:46 am The greatness continues....

That dumbass Pace could've made this franchise entertaining for years by trading a sixth round pick. But no, we got that has-been Andy Dalton for $10M instead.

The Great One is selling his bus. It even has a Samurai sword in it and other Samurai stuff. The pisser is that I just bought a car so I'm out of the market. But you guys though, you might want to scoop this up.

I'd like him as our backup but fine with what we have. If my choice is to have him as our backup QB or get to hang out with him for a weekend, I'd take the second choice.

Now that he has his bus, he is truly Uncle Rico.
docc
Head Coach

..just needs a pet EMU...
Heinz D.
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:35 pm Minshew is the BEST. He's just authentically cool. I hope he gets an opportunity to play more, and on a good team. There's nobody in the league I'm rooting harder for including individual Bears. I just have full admiration for GM.
He's still on the Eagles, right? :?:
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
IE
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:03 pm
IE wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:35 pm Minshew is the BEST. He's just authentically cool. I hope he gets an opportunity to play more, and on a good team. There's nobody in the league I'm rooting harder for including individual Bears. I just have full admiration for GM.
He's still on the Eagles, right? :?:
Yeah- my problem is I'm also a Hurts guy. Two of my favorite young "underdog" QBs on the same team. Go figure.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Thought I'd give all you Minshewphiles a bit of thrill:

Please clean up after yourselves when you're done.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:25 pm Thought I'd give all you Minshewphiles a bit of thrill:

Please clean up after yourselves when you're done.
He is seriously a good QB. He’s just been massively unlucky where he’s played.

He did good at Jacksonville and was on the upswing then they drafted Lawrence. Now Philly.

I’ve got one foot out the door with the Bears anyway and Minshew is my favorite non-Bear. If he gets dealt somewhere and starts that might pull me over.

I love the whole personality thing he’s got going on. He’d be an entertaining guy to root for.
IE
Hall of Famer

I LOVE that this is still under Halas Hall. I'm bumping this up and will rationalize that because it could concern two different teams the Bears face this season. Gardner Minshew could end up being a material issue for the Bears. LOL

Seriously though It is a reality there are already a few QBs who are going to be out for a while (Prescott, Stafford), and for teams who are very interested in contending & winning BUT have garbage backups. The Eagles traded for Ian Book and as a posted in the other forum it likely isn't because they're giving up on Minshew (how absurd!?) but rather because they're fielding phone calls for the stud. Minshew was a great Roseman investment and I never thought he was in the long term Eagle plan. Now is the time for them to strike gold and get a much higher draft pick for the guy.

I'm seriously wondering if we perhaps will see our boy traded to the Cowboys in the new few minutes. But GAWD I hope not I'd prefer the Rams. I'd hate to root for the Cowboys ever - and I'd hate for my team to face the guy. I'm glad they sat him against the Bears when they were intentionally tanking. But the Rams, I like!

Here's the implications for the Bears ... if Hurts got Hurt, facing Ian Book would be a huge preference to Minshew!! OTOH 'm not so sure that the Cowboys aren't still sort of dangerous with Minshew under center. So I'm really rooting for a Rams trade. Minshew is actually a LOT like Stafford in playing style and football IQ ... except of course without such a big arm.

I know Mac Jones is down but am assuming the Pats stand pat and don't go giving up draft capital when they pretty much seem like they're going to tank on purpose.

Feel free to discuss, fellow Minshonians.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

They can't trade him to the Cowboys unless its an absolute Godfather offer

But yeah - if you are an AFC team with legit aspirations and your QB goes down for 5+ Weeks - I think you would pay a 2nd here
IE
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:06 pm They can't trade him to the Cowboys unless its an absolute Godfather offer

But yeah - if you are an AFC team with legit aspirations and your QB goes down for 5+ Weeks - I think you would pay a 2nd here
Oh yeah - you're right I forgot about the divisional thing. So probably not. But then also it sort of says something about the guy's value if the team he's a backup for wouldn't want to play him. You know? But I guess for intelligence purposes it would be too risky.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:10 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:06 pm They can't trade him to the Cowboys unless its an absolute Godfather offer

Oh yeah - you're right I forgot about the divisional thing. So probably not. But then also it sort of says something about the guy's value if the team he's a backup for wouldn't want to play him. You know? But I guess for intelligence purposes it would be too risky.
Intelligence for part of it, but only slightly. But you have a chance to bury a hated Divisional opponent and help yourself in the process

Can't pass that up unless its a big overpay IMHO
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Before his career is over, Gardner Minshew will be the QB of a Super Bowl winning team.

Whether he actually leads a team into the big game or he takes over because of injury and wins one I think it's going to happen.

All fanfare and joking aside, he's a good QB that was on the upswing until he got traded. Jacksonville never should've gotten rid of him.

And Pace was a total dumbass for not trading a 6th round pick for him, but rather paying Andy Dalton $10M instead.

He won't go to the Patriots. The Hoodie wouldn't approve of the whole image.

I could totally see him in LA or Dallas as a stop gap.
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:38 pm Before his career is over, Gardner Minshew will be the QB of a Super Bowl winning team.

Whether he actually leads a team into the big game or he takes over because of injury and wins one I think it's going to happen.

All fanfare and joking aside, he's a good QB that was on the upswing until he got traded. Jacksonville never should've gotten rid of him.

And Pace was a total dumbass for not trading a 6th round pick for him, but rather paying Andy Dalton $10M instead.

He won't go to the Patriots. The Hoodie wouldn't approve of the whole image.

I could totally see him in LA or Dallas as a stop gap.
Pace liked "names" and threw large sums of money at them... that led to most of his mistakes, and led to him sucking more than not.

Some might think Minshew has missed his shot but I don't believe it. He'll be only 26 at the end of this season. Even if he doesn't start a game this season (pretty sure he will), he'll only be a few games short of where Kirk Cousins was after his first full year of starting for Washington, when Cousins was 27. He's not the side show he used to be and I wouldn't be surprised if Howie said "look I'm trying to get you a starting job so tone it down so I can sell you better".

Minshew has a LOT of football left and I agree TMP he's a winner.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We missed it by one damn week. I fucking hate the Bears sometimes. This has to be their fault somehow.

Hurts sprained his shoulder playing us.

Now Philly is going to have the mother of all QB controversies.

Minshew is going to kick some Cowboy ass this week! DO IT FOR LEACH!!!!

MINSHEW MANIA LIVES BITCHES!!!!

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 2_38261946