Day 1 Predictions

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Below are the players I expect to be off the board by the time Day 1 is over (and, roughly, the order I have them rated by position). Obviously I don't know any of the medical reports, so if someone on this list is flagged, I'll just as obviously be wrong. :D

QB (3):
Malik Willis (I think this is the Panthers' guy, and I think they'll take a ham sandwich in a trade down to not have to take him at #6.)
Desmond Ridder
Kenny Pickett

WR (7):
Drake London (Willing to bet he's the next Falcon.)
Jameson Williams
George Pickens
Chris Olave (Just such a Saints kind of pick.)
Garrett Wilson
Treylon Burks
Christian Watson (Welcome to Kansas City...?)

OT (5):
Evan Neal
Charles Cross
Trevor Penning
Tyler Smith
Abe Lucas (Guys this big and this agile, with this kind of starting experience in a Power 5 conference, simply do not make it to Day 2.)

IOL (2):
Ikem Okwonu (Brandon Thorn, whose opinion I greatly respect, thinks he's a tackle. If he's right, Okwonu is the next Trent Williams. If he's a guard — which I think he is — he's David DeCastro.)
Zion Johnson

IDL (3):
Jordan Davis (Planet Theory 101: Only so many guys on the planet this big and this athletic.)
Devonte Wyatt (This is one I'm the most iffy on. His domestic violence red flags are bright.)
Logan Hall

EDGE (5):
Trayvon Walker
Aiden Hutchinson
Kayvon Thibodeaux
Jermaine Johnson II
George Karlaftis

CB (6):
Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner
Derek Stingley Jr
Trent McDuffie
Zyon McCollum (Athletes like this do not grow on trees. Someone is likely to take a home run swing on him.)
Kaiir Elam
Andrew Booth Jr (There's been too much going on about medicals from the Combine. Could be smoke, but I am leaning toward truth.)

S (1):
Kyle Hamilton
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Good job.

The Pack once again doesn't pick WR. Some team trades its pick for Nick Foles (just kidding). Not sure how accurate the mocks are but I don't see the Giants picking a top WR guy, which they can certainly use, I'm surprised by that. I don't think McCollum and Elam get drafted this early. Pickens may slip through to the 2nd. I see Nakobe Dean and Devin Lloyd, LBs, getting picked. Lucas has great potential at OT, he may be grabbed once a run on OTs starts.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Guys I missed on Day 1:

Kenyon Greene (15)
Jahan Dotson (16)
Quay Walker (22)
Tyler Linderbaum (25)
Devin Lloyd (27)
Cole Strange (29)
Daxton Hill (31)
Lewis Cine (32)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
spudbear
MVP

Took the time to see who you missed and who is still available for round 2 based on your list of round 1 candidates.

MISSED: You didn't list any LB's but two were picked. You only listed one safety but three were picked overall.

So who's left with round one potential for Bears fans to wonder if Poles will snag at #39?
WR: Pickens, Watson
OL: Lucas
DL: Hall
CB: McCollum, Booth

I don't know if Poles will take a gamble on Lucas. I don't know enough about Watson or Hall to see if they are worthy. Poles will probably wait for his second pick on a CB if he takes one. If Pickens makes it to 39 then that is who I think will be selected. Otherwise it would be Hall or Watson.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas