Rd 6. 186 Zachary Thomas, OL - San Diego State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Probably a G, but played tackle.

Podcast/stream I'm listening to likes this one too. Thinks hell compete for a starting spot at RG as things stand.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zach-thom ... 02b0aacfb3
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes another high athletic score guy. Big body. Good pick.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Watching some of this kid's highlights. WOW. Yes he played for SDSU in a 2nd tier conference, but he got great mobility, and is able to perform terrific combo blocks and gets to the 2nd level really quickly. If you're talking about a stretch G in a zone blocking scheme, this is your guy.
IE
Hall of Famer

I understand he had an injury & then had to fight back and re-earn his starting spot. I liked watching him talk about how he & his brother watched the draft together and he was drafted not too long after his bro (DE).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I loved this pick.
A lot.

Scouting reports:
SI.com
Bleacher Report
The Draft Network

https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=21637

UOK EDIT: no bypassing paywalled content
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bearfacts
MVP

I would agree that he's likely to be competing for the starting RG spot. He has the run blocking rep we want there. But like the other later round OL picks you can never be certain of how these guys will turn out so it's good that we drafted two LT types who'll likely end up playing in the NFL as OG provided they survive camp and preseason. Ya' gotta like his athleticism.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Interesting comment from the guy who many consider to be the best offensive line guru.
Xee
Site Admin

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:53 am

Interesting comment from the guy who many consider to be the best offensive line guru.
Oh man, this just reminds me of the Bradley Sowell experiment.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:28 pm

Nah, they actually had Sowell drop 40lbs and move positions. This is just talking about lining him up there on goal line and short yardage plays. Much like Bars used to do.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

He’s not suggesting he convert to TE he’s suggesting that his run blocking is so good right now that he could be a contributor there immediately.

His pass blocking technique will need to be refined for him to be a starter though.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:11 pm

He’s not suggesting he convert to TE he’s suggesting that his run blocking is so good right now that he could be a contributor there immediately.

His pass blocking technique will need to be refined for him to be a starter though.
Less so at guard than at tackle, but yeah.
KFFL refugee.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

If he's that special in the run game, I think he's the favorite to start, because I think we're running a lot this year.

Probably run a ton out of 11 and pass a ton out of 12 personnel, counterintuitively.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:24 pm If he's that special in the run game, I think he's the favorite to start, because I think we're running a lot this year.

Probably run a ton out of 11 and pass a ton out of 12 personnel, counterintuitively.
Yeah, I think as of right now, he's the starting RG. It's early, but he seems to really fit what they want to do.
IE
Hall of Famer

That's friggin awesome if he can start at RG out of the box.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:24 am
The Cooler King wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:24 pm If he's that special in the run game, I think he's the favorite to start, because I think we're running a lot this year.

Yeah, I think as of right now, he's the starting RG. It's early, but he seems to really fit what they want to do.
Have a seat, Sam.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I forgot to name him, but he was on my short list of late OL to hit.

I'm not expecting much this year, but maybe next.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:10 am I forgot to name him, but he was on my short list of late OL to hit.

I thought of him too but forgot to mention it. :)

Seriously though - I like his tape and his demeanor. I get a little Kyle Long vibe from him.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:10 am I forgot to name him, but he was on my short list of late OL to hit.

I'm a big fan myself. I think he's going to be a surprise contributor.
KFFL refugee.

G08
Hall of Famer

I'm pleasantly surprised that Poles drafted OL with traits he likes and thinks can be developed. I was worried he'd be focused on burning high picks on these dudes.

So far so good -- let's see how it plays out!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Xee
Site Admin

This was a tweet made before his combine time was official and it actually ended up being 1.65. Braxton had almost the same 40 time and ran a 1.69 so it just shows that Poles definitely had a type he was going after in the draft.
G08
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:27 pm

This was a tweet made before his combine time was official and it actually ended up being 1.65. Braxton had almost the same 40 time and ran a 1.69 so it just shows that Poles definitely had a type he was going after in the draft.
Yep, since we're going to be an outside zone team we will value athletic offensive linemen over physical maulers.

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:31 pm
Xee wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:27 pm

Yep, since we're going to be an outside zone team we will value athletic offensive linemen over physical maulers.
Honest question - I wonder if Borom makes the team?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:34 am

I mean, he's demonstrably better than Davenport has shown to be lately, so I imagine, even if Smith comes in and grabs the LT position by the throat, at the least Borom becomes the swing tackle.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:18 am
I mean, he's demonstrably better than Davenport has shown to be lately, so I imagine, even if Smith comes in and grabs the LT position by the throat, at the least Borom becomes the swing tackle.
I just wonder about his long term future given the fit. Or lack of fit.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think if he wants a shot at sticking around he's going to have to get down to 315 lbs, which I believe he was near before we had him bulk up last season.

Dude's got a basketball background and is very nimble on his feet so I could see him surviving. Worst case scenario maybe he's a swing tackle but I think he can lock down LT or RT.

Quick and lazy comp between Larry Borom and David Bakhtiari (23 lbs lighter):

1.81/2.90/5.15 1.77/2.94/5.09
08'07" broad 08'05" broad
8.04 cone 7.70 cone

What I love most about this upcoming season is that it's put-up-or-shut-up for the entire roster (perhaps save for Justin Fields). Everyone should be coming in motivated and wanting to succeed. If they don't, there's the door.

Bearfacts
MVP

I've mentioned this before as a distinct possibility. When Poles missed out on Ryan Bates his RFA target to play RG he and his scouting staff decided to draft a rookie version of Bates who turned out to be Zach Thomas. While it may take a bit for Thomas to rise to a starters spot it's also not impossible that he starts there at some point during his rookie year. He's a Bates clone.

Bates was expected to be signed to play right guard, but the Buffalo Bills matched his restricted offer. Below is a side-by-side comparison of Zach Thomas and Ryan Bates.

[/img][/img]

Bates is a bit more athletic, but almost all of it comes down to a questionably low vertical. It is even more surprising when the rest of his athletic numbers match Ryan Bates, almost exactly, if not seeing Thomas as more athletic.

Thomas is a bit longer, with similar height and weight. He is a bit quicker and has very similar agility tests. Were the Chicago Bears looking at Zach Thomas and thinking this is a dart at a player such as Ryan Bates?

Sure, he may not become that player that they wanted to sign, but Bates was a UDFA who has slowly been moving up the depth chart. Even if it takes time, and the outcome is a player who is a lower-end starter, or a higher-end depth performer that is a realistic outcome for Zach Thomas.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:12 am I've mentioned this before as a distinct possibility. When Poles missed out on Ryan Bates his RFA target to play RG he and his scouting staff decided to draft a rookie version of Bates who turned out to be Zach Thomas. While it may take a bit for Thomas to rise to a starters spot it's also not impossible that he starts there at some point during his rookie year. He's a Bates clone.

Bates was expected to be signed to play right guard, but the Buffalo Bills matched his restricted offer. Below is a side-by-side comparison of Zach Thomas and Ryan Bates.

[/img][/img]

Bates is a bit more athletic, but almost all of it comes down to a questionably low vertical. It is even more surprising when the rest of his athletic numbers match Ryan Bates, almost exactly, if not seeing Thomas as more athletic.

Thomas is a bit longer, with similar height and weight. He is a bit quicker and has very similar agility tests. Were the Chicago Bears looking at Zach Thomas and thinking this is a dart at a player such as Ryan Bates?

Sure, he may not become that player that they wanted to sign, but Bates was a UDFA who has slowly been moving up the depth chart. Even if it takes time, and the outcome is a player who is a lower-end starter, or a higher-end depth performer that is a realistic outcome for Zach Thomas.
Great find -- I'm inclined to agree. It won't shock me if this kid is our starting RG before this season is over.

Bearfacts
MVP

I've got good feeling about this guy. He's a very good run blocker and I see him and Jenkins as being key's to making things happen upfront in this wide zone scheme.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:08 am I've got good feeling about this guy. He's a very good run blocker and I see him and Jenkins as being key's to making things happen upfront in this wide zone scheme.
I like him a lot "on tape". I think he's an outstanding run blocker but he has some work to do in his pass blocking sets.

It wouldn't shock me to see him as depth if a quality OG is a June 1st cut. Let the kid develop if we can.

Bearfacts
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:24 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:08 am I've got good feeling about this guy. He's a very good run blocker and I see him and Jenkins as being key's to making things happen upfront in this wide zone scheme.
I like him a lot "on tape". I think he's an outstanding run blocker but he has some work to do in his pass blocking sets.

It wouldn't shock me to see him as depth if a quality OG is a June 1st cut. Let the kid develop if we can.
I have a feeling Poles is far from done tweaking his roster but he won't do it prematurely unless he sees someone whose just too good to pass on. Since I don't see that as being very likely I believe it will be more of the same with him adding younger lower cost guys who may be marginally better than someone on the roster now.

I think we have to accept the fact that we'll be starting either more marginal vets or rookies and 2nd year guys all year long and by virtue of that Poles and Flus will know whose worth keeping and who has to be replaced next spring. In essence the entire season is kinda one big regular season try out for a whole lot of guys on 1 year deals and current vets.