The Life and Times of Olin Kruetz

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

“If the Bears wanted to take a good look at why they don’t have any success on offense, they can pretty much start at the quarterback and offensive line,” Kreutz told The Athletic in 2021.

https://www.profootballhistory.com/olin-kreutz/

A story that follows Olin Kruetz from HS through college at Washington to his drafting and time spent playing 13 years as a Chicago Bear. His strong dislike for Saint OL Coach Aaron Kromer and how he put Drew Brees against a wall when he attempted to stop him from going after Kromer. His feelings and opinions about various Bears players and QB and his post football career in the media.

It's an interesting read with several videos. If you have the time it's worth a read.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The New Orleans tidbit is wild. This quote from Olin is the money shot:

When McNeil and Perkins asked Kreutz why he threw Brees – of all people – against a wall, he remained nonchalant.

“Listen, Hall of Famer or not, you don’t grab people,” Kreutz said.

Just absolutely broken-brained stuff. "I was about to assault my coach when Drew had the temerity to touch me."
Bearfacts
MVP

Olin Kruetz is long on respect and short on temper. He may get a little crazy at times but then it's not like people don't know by now that he's got a short fuse when it comes to some things. But vis a' vis the Kromer deal I think we know by now that Kromer was kind of a prick and lost his job as Bears OC when he got caught throwing Cutler under the bus to a reporter then cried about it.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:37 am Olin Kruetz is long on respect and short on temper. He may get a little crazy at times but then it's not like people don't know by now that he's got a short fuse when it comes to some things. But vis a' vis the Kromer deal I think we know by now that Kromer was kind of a prick and lost his job as Bears OC when he got caught throwing Cutler under the bus to a reporter then cried about it.

I might not have pinned Brees against the wall but I would surely have warned him to not ever do that again.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The youngest of four brothers?

I know exactly where the personality comes from then.

You know how many times he must've gotten into fights and then gotten his ass kicked by his brothers until he learned how to fight?

I have one older brother and I had to get into fights for things like leftover pizza and sweatshirts. There were times I was losing and I had to grab the fireplace poker to even it out.

I can only imagine having four of them.
cblaz11
MVP

He’s a bully…and not a very smart one.

I don’t believe him about the Bears 15.00 an hour offer…and I lost a lot of respect for him when he went on his press tour trashing George…who by most former players, is very well liked. Can you see why George wouldn’t want him around his locker room?

In an industry where it’s common to share your opinion and debate it, you should have thick enough skin to take a little rubbing about a past bad take. If not, you’re probably in the wrong line of work.

“You know, we're living in a society! We're supposed to act in a civilized way!!” George Costanza
spudbear
MVP

Don't know if it was the NBC Sports post-game show he got "in trouble" with, but I'm curious to see if he'll be joining Lance and Alex this season. If not wonder if they'll replace him or just go with those two. Maybe Wanny would be full time.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Disliked Kruetz as a player and everything I hear about him since only makes me like him less and less.
Xee
Site Admin

RustinFields wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:52 pm The New Orleans tidbit is wild. This quote from Olin is the money shot:

When McNeil and Perkins asked Kreutz why he threw Brees – of all people – against a wall, he remained nonchalant.

Just absolutely broken-brained stuff. "I was about to assault my coach when Drew had the temerity to touch me."
The lack of self-awareness to say something like "you don't grab people" when he grabs people at the drop of a hat, as Mr. Hoge can attest to.
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:58 amI have one older brother and I had to get into fights for things like leftover pizza and sweatshirts. There were times I was losing and I had to grab the fireplace poker to even it out.

Man, that sounds like some Lord of the Flies shit compared to how I grew up. I am the middle of three brothers and I don't remember ever getting into any fights with them. Hell, it was the opposite where we would try and make each other laugh and then once you hit a bit that worked and they couldn't stop laughing you would just double down until they were crying on the floor.
UOK
Site Admin

Let's not use this as an avenue to compare how tough anyone is, having some larger societal debate on how weak/strong generations/cultures are, etc. I will lock these threads until you dopes chill out.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m wondering how Kruetz has avoided legal consequences given his history (and the likelihood that there’s more of the same in his past, and future)

Sounds like he ruined a friends career - what a dick
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

It was a good, but depressing read. They HAD to point out the long list of awful QBs that he played with. Ugh!!!! Hopefully Fields brings an end to that.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:18 am I’m wondering how Kruetz has avoided legal consequences given his history (and the likelihood that there’s more of the same in his past, and future)

Sounds like he ruined a friends career - what a dick
If the person doesn't wanna press charges, those incidences aren't gonna go anywhere.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

To be fair to him, if he was “grabbed” then Brees has to expect a reaction. However, Olin also needs to sort his own temper tantrums.

One day Olin, you’ll be an old man, not a tough guy, and you need to curb that attitude.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:02 am He’s a bully…and not a very smart one.

I don’t believe him about the Bears 15.00 an hour offer…and I lost a lot of respect for him when he went on his press tour trashing George…who by most former players, is very well liked. Can you see why George wouldn’t want him around his locker room?

In an industry where it’s common to share your opinion and debate it, you should have thick enough skin to take a little rubbing about a past bad take. If not, you’re probably in the wrong line of work.

“You know, we're living in a society! We're supposed to act in a civilized way!!” George Costanza
:rofl:

I just can't get the image out of my head of Olin knocking George the fuck out after something like this:

Of course, I'm sure that's why George feels this way:

My older brother by two years and I fought every single day of our lives until I finally beat him when I was 14 and he was drugged out and cheated and gave me two black eyes for it. lol Never fought after that. He knew I'd kill him. One thing I learned--never trust anybody who is on top of you, even if you have their head twisted underneath you and they're saying, "Okay, okay, I give, I give...."
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Olin threatened to beat up an Old Man (who was probably correct) like 3 weeks ago?

He needs to get some help - at this stage the Barista that spells his name Ollen is getting the American History X treatment from him

Which seems- over the top
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:58 am The youngest of four brothers?

You know how many times he must've gotten into fights and then gotten his ass kicked by his brothers until he learned how to fight?

I have one older brother and I had to get into fights for things like leftover pizza and sweatshirts. There were times I was losing and I had to grab the fireplace poker to even it out.

Amen......the phrase they fight like brothers had to come from somewhere right? LOL
Bearfacts
MVP

cblaz11 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:02 am He’s a bully…and not a very smart one.

I'm not saying he's wrong but someone needs to clue George into the fact that went out the window about 5 or 6 years ago.

For whatever other faults he may have Kreutz is a pretty savvy football guy and his opinions are typically spot on. I don't know what the $15 bucks and hour deal is all about but given that like Urlacher he didn't leave on the best of terms and that he's about as loyal and as hard headed as any former Bears player can be I can't imagine he has much respect for GMcC either.
Bearfacts
MVP

Xee wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:24 am
RustinFields wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:52 pm The New Orleans tidbit is wild. This quote from Olin is the money shot:

The lack of self-awareness to say something like "you don't grab people" when he grabs people at the drop of a hat, as Mr. Hoge can attest to.
I think the English translation goes something like; "You don't grab me like that". LOL

Olin has a short fuse. We know that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:33 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:58 am The youngest of four brothers?

Amen......the phrase they fight like brothers had to come from somewhere right? LOL
That's where this stuff comes from. I'm not trying to over compliment or insult anybody or say this way is better than that way I'm just saying there's a reason why certain people behave a certain way in adulthood. We have to respect, within reason, the cultures people come from.

Like Adrian Peterson with the switch spanking and his kid. Is Adrian Peterson a good dad otherwise? Probably. That kid most likely has everything he's ever wanted. An XBOX. Paid for college. Etc. As long as AP doesn't go broke himself right?

You grow up with brothers and there are going to be fights. My mom used to slap me when I got out of line. Was she a bad mother? No. She cooked my dinner and did my laundry every day. My mom was 5'4" in a house full of 6'5" men except for me. I was the runt but I was the one with behavior problems.

Now does that mean Kreutz is justified in shoving a coworker into a locker? Hell no. That's assault. Even if it is a member of the sports media. If it was Chris Collinsworth most of this board would be laughing. But it's still assault and he's got to pay somehow. He lost his job. Maybe that's enough?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:54 am

That's where this stuff comes from. I'm not trying to over compliment or insult anybody or say this way is better than that way I'm just saying there's a reason why certain people behave a certain way in adulthood. We have to respect, within reason, the cultures people come from.

Like Adrian Peterson with the switch spanking and his kid. Is Adrian Peterson a good dad otherwise? Probably. That kid most likely has everything he's ever wanted. An XBOX. Paid for college. Etc. As long as AP doesn't go broke himself right?

You grow up with brothers and there are going to be fights. My mom used to slap me when I got out of line. Was she a bad mother? No. She cooked my dinner and did my laundry every day. My mom was 5'4" in a house full of 6'5" men except for me. I was the runt but I was the one with behavior problems.

Now does that mean Kreutz is justified in shoving a coworker into a locker? Hell no. That's assault. Even if it is a member of the sports media. If it was Chris Collinsworth most of this board would be laughing. But it's still assault and he's got to pay somehow. He lost his job. Maybe that's enough?
I believe I read that Hoge didnt want to press charges. So that will may be the extent of the consequences he will face, though there are other media opportunities he will have to contend with and losing or missing out on those may be how he ultimately pays.

His past violent outbursts were probably considered forgivable given context of athletes. Now, not so much from employers who don't want certain risks.
Bearfacts
MVP

With ya' 100%. I grew up around quite a few families of multiple brothers and they were always wrestling or fighting with each other. I also learned never to interfere in those family brawls or get on the bad side of guys who had older brothers. Not only was there a good chance they'd kick your ass but if you did somehow manage to kick their ass then you'd have to fight his brothers. :backout:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

An Xbox, college tuition, etc. Also emotional scarring. And dont forget the physical scarring too, there's some of that. On his testicles.

I think the extent of fatherhood duties is a bit more than "paying for shit."
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:01 am

I believe I read that Hoge didnt want to press charges. So that will may be the extent of the consequences he will face, though there are other media opportunities he will have to contend with and losing or missing out on those may be how he ultimately pays.

His past violent outbursts were probably considered forgivable given context of athletes. Now, not so much from employers who don't want certain risks.
Hoge made a business decision. He works with a lot of former players, and current players. He knows if he pushes back on this assault it's going close doors for him professionally. It's a hell of a situation to be put in.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:55 pm

An Xbox, college tuition, etc. Also emotional scarring. And dont forget the physical scarring too, there's some of that. On his testicles.

Who are you anyway?

You've got more posts than I do and you're never around.

Either way, cram it, lightweight.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:55 pm

Can you both agree that him paying his bail money helps?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:58 pm

Hoge made a business decision. He works with a lot of former players, and current players. He knows if he pushes back on this assault it's going close doors for him professionally. It's a hell of a situation to be put in.
Maybe, but the one report said in the immediate aftermath he was still ready to go on a record that days podcast. If it was purely business, he kept his cool the entire time, which would be something.

It does probably say he wasn't totally shocked this happened. Don't know how long those two have been social, but maybe this isn't even Kruetz's first physical altercation with Hoge. Just the first others witnessed.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:58 pm

Or maybe he just decided to be the better man. My guess is, if he's a Bear fan as you know he is, that he probably has a bit of hero worship going on with Olin. I would.
Bearfacts
MVP

We don't know what was said so we can only guess what Olin reacted to but you still can't pull that kind of stuff where you work and not expect to be punished for it.