Bears Draft 2022: What would you have Done?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

I try this every year (as close to after the draft as possible)

Rules:

You start with every pick the Bears had.

You can take any trade down they took (or you can take "worse" options)

For example if you have the 39th pick you can't assume some trade down there - BUT if there was a trade down at like pick 42 - you could take that trade down (for exact same picks) if you so wanted

So what would you have done? You don't get all the Tape or the Interviews - but you do get hindsight
Bearfacts
MVP

Is this like a post draft mock draft or something?

I barely have enough energy and time to read the pre-draft mocks so I'll pass but will remain an interested observer.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I 100% agree with the Gordon and Brisker picks given how the draft was going.

I would not have drafted Jones Jr. I would have taken Raimann (Rain Man) instead to get a probable Day One starting T.

I even liked the trade downs given that it happened after Day Two. Because I drafted Rain Man, I then would've went the whole BPA / Special Teams route instead of 4 OL hoping somebody sticks around.
cblaz11
MVP

OT - Luke Goedeke
WR-Skyy Moore
LB-Nakobe Dean

These would have been my first 3 picks….after that, who knows with all the trade downs
dplank
Hall of Famer

Gordon
Pierce
Best OL available
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Pierce or Moore
Rain Man or Abraham Lucas
Best CB still available
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I would have probably f’d it all up and drafted based on pff ratings rather than a team of evaluators.

Took me a while to recall my humility over this draft
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I'm very, very happy with the draft. Much better than I would have done. With the exception of trading a future third for a fourth to get Perrion Winfrey, I'll ride the rest out.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Looking at who was on the board, I would have taken Gordon.
I think Brisker will be a good fit for Eberflus, but I would have taken Sky Moore and hoped safety fell later. I had that Alontae Talyor as a 3rd round value so I was surprised when he went right after Brisker.
For our third round pick with Taylor off the board, I would have been looking at Jelani Woods, Nick Cross, Myjai Sanders, and Zachary Carter. Lucas and Raimann would only be a consideration if I had traded back in the 3rd.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:03 am Gordon
Pierce
Best OL available
You have to name names -

They don't let you turn in a card that says "Best OL Available" (Cooler King please correct me if Im reading the CBA wrong on that)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I definately would have taken Gordon

No doubt pick

I would have dealt down from the Brisker pick - grabbed more value and then used my 3rd on Kerby Illinois

I dont think I could have dealt out of the Shakir slot either - that guy has 10 year productive career written all over him
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:03 pm I definately would have taken Gordon

No doubt pick

I would have dealt down from the Brisker pick - grabbed more value and then used my 3rd on Kerby Illinois

I dont think I could have dealt out of the Shakir slot either - that guy has 10 year productive career written all over him
Yeah, I was really not happy when they traded that pick away but I doubt they would have drafted him based on how Poles drafted. I also think he has a good to great NFL career ahead of him, we'll compare notes in 10 years....
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm sure that Pole's draft will end up being better than this. But I''ll throw this out there as alternative.

Stick with Gordon. If there had been a trade close by I could fit into the parameters of this exercise I would have, but since none exist, he is clearly the best pick based on how the board played out.

I'm taking the Pats deal fro #50 at 48 and getting pick 54 and pick 158.

54 will be the same guy - Sky Moore WR Western Michigan
158 will be Tycon Anderson S Toledo

Since we already snagged a WR at 54, I'm shifting 71 to the OL and taking Berhard Rainmann.

At the end of the day I think Pole's draft will end up being better than mine (it's his freaking job and I just feel he has "it"). But I'll say this, I think fans and the national media would think my draft was a better draft.

I"m not going to address the later round picks as I just didn't spend enough time this year to feel I had a good grasp on those guys. There were 6-8 guys I really like in round 5-7 that ended up being UDFA. I think that was due to the "extra 100 guys" with round 5-7 talent that ended up in this years class. So I'm not going to try to come up with something better.

@RichH55 I think that's how you wanted this done, right?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yes it is Ark - I was thinking about taking that same trade down at 48 myself - Different picks though
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:37 pm Yes it is Ark - I was thinking about taking that same trade down at 48 myself - Different picks though
I like the Moore pick the later pick I just never got a good feel for guys in the range this year. Just too many guys to look at.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I can't disagree with the Gordon pick or the Brisker pick. I wasn't big on any of the offensive linemen at either spot, and it was earlier than I'd have taken Thornton, even as a fan boy, or Pierce.

At 71, I'd have taken Washington State T Abraham Lucas.

With Zach Tom off the board, I'd have taken the Buffalo trade at 148. I would not have taken the Houston trade at 150 and would have drafted Stanford DT Thomas Booker.

Braxton Jones at 168 still makes me giddy, so I'd snap him up there. Ditto Zach Thomas at 186.

At 203, I'd have drafted Rutgers WR Bo Melton.

Would not have had 207 or 226. I might have made the swap for 254 and 255; my picks there would've been Nebraska WR Samori Toure and Toledo RB Bryant Koback.

EDIT: Washington State is NOT spelled Waddhington State.
Last edited by thunderspirit on Wed May 11, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:16 am
RichH55 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:03 pm I definately would have taken Gordon

No doubt pick

Yeah, I was really not happy when they traded that pick away but I doubt they would have drafted him based on how Poles drafted. I also think he has a good to great NFL career ahead of him, we'll compare notes in 10 years....
I'm another who was disappointed we couldn't get Shakir which is another player we missed out on by not having a 4th round pick but in terms of an overall need for a more dynamic playmaker it would have been pretty hard to pass on Jones in favor of taking Shakir even if we'd traded back to accomplish it. Buffalo got a kid who I believe will be a helluva good football player.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

For the record, in this thread I offered everyone a chance after R1 to prioritize what they would do in R2. Eleven posters provided enough information to predict what they would've done and zero would've taken Kyler Gordon, based on how the picks fell. In fairness, dplank came the closest, saying either of the 2 CBs would be good choices, but then named Booth as a good get, so I'd have to assume him to be the higher priority of the two. That said, it does cast a bit of doubt on those saying they would've taken Gordon, when you had the chance to list your board going into R2, but didn't. Kudos to those who made the effort to list their priorities. It does demonstrate that doing this stuff is pretty hard.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 pm For the record, in this thread I offered everyone a chance after R1 to prioritize what they would do in R2. Eleven posters provided enough information to predict what they would've done and zero would've taken Kyler Gordon, based on how the picks fell. In fairness, dplank came the closest, saying either of the 2 CBs would be good choices, but then named Booth as a good get, so I'd have to assume him to be the higher priority of the two. That said, it does cast a bit of doubt on those saying they would've taken Gordon, when you had the chance to list your board going into R2, but didn't. Kudos to those who made the effort to list their priorities. It does demonstrate that doing this stuff is pretty hard.

Yeah, when people aren't on the record with a position, it tends to morph into something more favorable.

And, sometimes even when they are on record, it morphs anyway.

:)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Maybe I'll get around to doing this thread.

I like the concept, but only being able to "do" deals that got done - and to only take ones that are worse (lower) than your pick - is really hobbling. I understand completely the reason to set some limitations in the exercise. But if you were 'really' the GM, you could do better than that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:17 am
Mikefive wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 pm For the record, in this thread I offered everyone a chance after R1 to prioritize what they would do in R2. Eleven posters provided enough information to predict what they would've done and zero would've taken Kyler Gordon, based on how the picks fell. In fairness, dplank came the closest, saying either of the 2 CBs would be good choices, but then named Booth as a good get, so I'd have to assume him to be the higher priority of the two. That said, it does cast a bit of doubt on those saying they would've taken Gordon, when you had the chance to list your board going into R2, but didn't. Kudos to those who made the effort to list their priorities. It does demonstrate that doing this stuff is pretty hard.

Yeah, when people aren't on the record with a position, it tends to morph into something more favorable.

And, sometimes even when they are on record, it morphs anyway.

:)
So I didn’t post in the prediction thread but the guys I had at the top of my list were Watson and Smith. Both were gone. I took Gordon in several mocks I did to kill time but never thought he would really make it to us.

Plus when I look at how I would have done the draft in hindsight I’m Giving some deference to when guys went off the board - I’m thinking if all 32 teams keep passing on a guy I liked maybe I was wrong about him. For example, I started warming up to the idea of drafting Winfrey with one of our top 3 picks, But since he didn’t go until 108 I’m thinking I was wrong and it would have been a bad move by me.

So maybe I just approached it differently. If I was making the picks based on how I rated the guys before the draft, I likely would have taken Winfrey over Moore which it appears all the other teams would have laughed at me.
south pacific
Rookie

I’m fine with the first three picks. I get it if we are looking at building the future of our defense and went BPA with the first two.

I keep hearing that Jones was a reach in the 3rd round but he may have some sneaky upside if we can use him in the passing game. I hope he’s going to be more than a punt return man.

If any of the 5th, 6th and 7th round o linemen amount to anything I’ll be pleasantly surprised.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am trying not to manipulate it too much (I.E. Basically taking 800 Trade Downs - which can be a super smart way to do business - but kind of Limiting myself nonetheless). Likewise Trading a 5th and 7th for a 4th Next year (Id do that in a heartbeat ) kind of goes against the Spirit here

Pick 39 - K. Gordon - CB

Trade 48 for Pick 54 and 158 (This was Dealt for Pick 50)
Trade 54 for pick 60 and 180 (This was Dealt for Pick 57) (I can't not trade back!)

Pick 60 (could have moved back to 63 and added yet more) - Nets 209 -
Use that in trade up in later round to make sure we still get Braxton Pick) Velus Jones - WR
(If you are gonna reach lets reach!)

Pick 71 (Wanted to trade down here for Value - but I think I reached my limit on earlish round trade downs) (If you dont like what I did to get Braxton later then Ill take the pick 75 trade which should more than accommodate since it nets 80 and 162. Ok - so I guess Im still trading down

Pick 80 - Kerby Joseph - S Illinois

Pick 148. K. Shakir - WR
Pick 158 Eric Johnson - DT Missouri St (think he can play 3 Technique)
Pick 162 - Braxton Jones OT

Pick 174 - Hard pick - Really liked the guy we got - But Ridgeway DT and LB Clarke (LSU) still on the board
It would really surprise me if Ridgeway doesnt have a good long career - but I cant ever see him being a Star

Ill stick with Robinson

Pick 180 - Matt Araiza - P
Pick 186 - I really didn't see anyone between this and pick 207 that I was missing
Lets stay with original pick
Zachary Thomas OT

Pick 207 Screw it - Ill keep Kramer (Others debated: Weatherford - S, Diesch - OL, Coan - QB, Lindstrom C)

Pick 209 Jalen Wydermyr - TE
Pick 226 - Tariq Carpenter "LB" (Was S in College) - Georgia Tech
Pick 254 Ill stick with Hicks

Pick 255 Jobe - CB Alabama