Horsted cut

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Scrub signed in his place. OK Poles stans, let’s hear it
G08
Hall of Famer

I think it's a great move. Why would you keep someone on your roster that failed their physical? /snark
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IE
Hall of Famer

I mean... he's no Minshew in my life. But I'm devastated. LOL

I hope he gets a chance to play somewhere. If they weren't going to have a look then good for him to move on.

I'm not a huge Kmet fan and I'm not sure they are either (based on them signing two older vets). I hope Cole can really emerge as a Kelce-lite type guy this year, or I'm thinking there are 3 new TEs next year.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

So Poles sat down with Fields and watched tape on potential draft picks and then dumps a target Fields actually seemed to like and have some faith in before the team even begins OTAs? Horsted was always more hope than expectation, but it just seems a little odd to jettison him this early in the year.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Too bad. All the guy did in very limited opportunities was catch TD passes. Hope someone gives him an honest shot. Less optimistic about this TE group now. Kmet needs to produce a bit more than last year but nothing behind him.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Hero
Player of the Month

Was it an injury that couldn't pass the test or was it some kind of conditioning drill he couldn't pass? I didn't know he was hurt.
spudbear
MVP

Well that's a bummer. Horsted was a tweener with not a lot of speed but he was and still is a football player, like Ryan Nall who is also not on the team. I'm guessing this is a Getsy move to clean out the Nagus stench as much as possible without losing key players. Nagus unfortunately did not give Horsted a chance though, preferring to trot out old man Graham. Hard to believe a player could get waived due to a failed physical at this time in the season. Thank goodness Poles was able to pick up a TE from the offensive juggernaut Giants, Rysen John, who has zero NFL stats.

Don't think it was the TE coach, Jim Dray, as this is his first coaching job in the NFL. He kinda looks like he is from the Nagus tree:
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Richie
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:48 pm Too bad. All the guy did in very limited opportunities was catch TD passes. Hope someone gives him an honest shot. Less optimistic about this TE group now. Kmet needs to produce a bit more than last year but nothing behind him.
You people are wild sometimes. Don't get me wrong. I love it.

But... the idea that people are actually "upset" or think we just legitimately got worse in a fashion which moves the needle in any direction. Over a TE with 2 catches last season and 10 catches in his career?

I mean, that is clearly absurd to someone who isn't insanely invested into the Chicago Bears. Rightfully so.

I would bet every dollar, that I ever make, for the rest of my life. Rendering me perpetually broke and homeless. That Jesper F'ing Horsted amounts to absolute dick in this league. Which, by the way, let's throw that into the bet! My dick... Seriously. I will bet my dick that you all are upset over a dude and condemning our new GM over a dude that never catches 20 balls in a season. Perhaps... shit... maybe not 20 in his ENTIRE career.
Richie
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:42 pm So Poles sat down with Fields and watched tape on potential draft picks and then dumps a target Fields actually seemed to like and have some faith in before the team even begins OTAs? Horsted was always more hope than expectation, but it just seems a little odd to jettison him this early in the year.
Holy f'n moly lol... This thread is an all-timer. I should have made my above post a double quote.

Faith in?

He targeted Horsted 3 times, resulting in 2 catches...

You people are actually making an issue and questioning our new GM's legitimacy over an UFA TE with 10 catches in 3 seasons.

Yup. It finally happened. We all lost our minds.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:34 pm I would bet every dollar, that I ever make, for the rest of my life. Rendering me perpetually broke and homeless. That Jesper F'ing Horsted amounts to absolute dick in this league. Which, by the way, let's throw that into the bet! My dick... Seriously. I will bet my dick that you all are upset over a dude and condemning our new GM over a dude that never catches 20 balls in a season. Perhaps... shit... maybe not 20 in his ENTIRE career.
Someone needs to pin this post or put this quote in their sig :lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:34 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:48 pm Too bad. All the guy did in very limited opportunities was catch TD passes. Hope someone gives him an honest shot. Less optimistic about this TE group now. Kmet needs to produce a bit more than last year but nothing behind him.

But... the idea that people are actually "upset" or think we just legitimately got worse in a fashion which moves the needle in any direction. Over a TE with 2 catches last season and 10 catches in his career?

I mean, that is clearly absurd to someone who isn't insanely invested into the Chicago Bears. Rightfully so.

I would bet every dollar, that I ever make, for the rest of my life. Rendering me perpetually broke and homeless. That Jesper F'ing Horsted amounts to absolute dick in this league. Which, by the way, let's throw that into the bet! My dick... Seriously. I will bet my dick that you all are upset over a dude and condemning our new GM over a dude that never catches 20 balls in a season. Perhaps... shit... maybe not 20 in his ENTIRE career.
The problem is that your logic is a circular reference in Microsoft Excel speak.

Jesper Horsted plays like 2 minutes every 8 games.

Jesper Horsted only caught 2 TDs last season.

Jesper Horsted plays like 2 minutes every 8 games.

Jesper Horsted only caught 2 TDs last season.

And around and around we go. How can the guy who never plays produce more yet when he does play he produces?

The answer is McNagy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:46 pm Well that's a bummer. Horsted was a tweener with not a lot of speed but he was and still is a football player, like Ryan Nall who is also not on the team. I'm guessing this is a Getsy move to clean out the Nagus stench as much as possible without losing key players. Nagus unfortunately did not give Horsted a chance though, preferring to trot out old man Graham. Hard to believe a player could get waived due to a failed physical at this time in the season. Thank goodness Poles was able to pick up a TE from the offensive juggernaut Giants, Rysen John, who has zero NFL stats.

Don't think it was the TE coach, Jim Dray, as this is his first coaching job in the NFL. He kinda looks like he is from the Nagus tree:
I'm trying to post a reply but I can't stop laughing.

Like how can we be that fucking stupid to hire the obvious doppleganger of McNagy?

I can't type more. I"m done.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Looking at the TE production in GB, and the Shanahan tree in general, you have 1 guy who gets the stats and everyone else needs to be able to block
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:36 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:42 pm So Poles sat down with Fields and watched tape on potential draft picks and then dumps a target Fields actually seemed to like and have some faith in before the team even begins OTAs? Horsted was always more hope than expectation, but it just seems a little odd to jettison him this early in the year.
Holy f'n moly lol... This thread is an all-timer. I should have made my above post a double quote.

Faith in?

You people are actually making an issue and questioning our new GM's legitimacy over an UFA TE with 10 catches in 3 seasons.

Fields didn't get first team reps until he was named the starter, so spent all that time prior throwing to guys like Horsted. In the final preseason game Fields targeted Horsted 3 times and he caught 2, including one for a 20 yard TD, and drew a PI on the other. In the regular season Horsted only got to play 6 offensive snaps and Fields threw his way 3 times. He caught two of those for TDs and had to go up and make a play for his QB on both of those. Fields posted on social media about how Horsted is always in the right place at the right time for him.

Based on that I don't think it is an outrageous claim that Fields 'seemed to like' Horsted. Nobody is suggesting that he was suddenly going to blossom into a star just that, in light of his production on the rare occasions he was given chances, he was woefully underused by Nagy and that he may have had more to offer.

Poles signed Horsted as an exclusive rights free agent, so it was a reasonable expectation that he'd be given a shot to make the team. Cutting him so soon after is therefore a little surprising. It's not like he's been replaced by a player with a better record of producing. Apparently he was cut with an injury designation, which leaves us wondering just what this 'injury' may be.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Given the way things happened - brought him back, then cut soon after - makes it seem like there probably is a legit health issue.

If there isn't, not even looking at him, when they have Kmet and a bunch of nobodies, is incredibly stupid.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:44 am Given the way things happened - brought him back, then cut soon after - makes it seem like there probably is a legit health issue.
Yeah it definitely seems like something fairly legit.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:12 pm Scrub signed in his place. OK Poles stans, let’s hear it
One thing you can say about Poles is that if he releases somebody and signs somebody else, the guy he brings in is going to have more measurables than the guy he cut. Check out Rysen John. The Canadian certainly seems to use his 6'7" height to his advantage.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2225112/5d ... 0ef8a53cd0

Important to note that Poles claimed him off waivers rather than let him hit the open market. Apparently, he really wanted him. I guess though that John has to stay healthy first before he does anything.

Also worth noting our UDFA TEs. Both look pretty athletic to me.

Jake Tonges, Cal:

I've already posted Chase Allen, but I'll do it again:

All look pretty athletic to me.
UOK
Site Admin

Poles "stans," sheesh.
spudbear
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 am
Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:36 pm

Faith in?

Fields didn't get first team reps until he was named the starter, so spent all that time prior throwing to guys like Horsted. In the final preseason game Fields targeted Horsted 3 times and he caught 2, including one for a 20 yard TD, and drew a PI on the other. In the regular season Horsted only got to play 6 offensive snaps and Fields threw his way 3 times. He caught two of those for TDs and had to go up and make a play for his QB on both of those. Fields posted on social media about how Horsted is always in the right place at the right time for him.

Based on that I don't think it is an outrageous claim that Fields 'seemed to like' Horsted. Nobody is suggesting that he was suddenly going to blossom into a star just that, in light of his production on the rare occasions he was given chances, he was woefully underused by Nagy and that he may have had more to offer.

Poles signed Horsted as an exclusive rights free agent, so it was a reasonable expectation that he'd be given a shot to make the team. Cutting him so soon after is therefore a little surprising. It's not like he's been replaced by a player with a better record of producing. Apparently he was cut with an injury designation, which leaves us wondering just what this 'injury' may be.
This.
Plus what else are meathead fans going to do for 4 months but put our hopes on those "diamonds in the rough", players we see have OBVIOUS potential but the team does not seem to give them a chance?

Next up, Dieter Eiselin. If he's on the roster ...
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:58 am Poles "stans," sheesh.
I'm not so much a stan, really more of a jock-rider.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:34 pm

Not upset and not condemning Poles over this. The official line is a medical issue. But Horstead is one example of not using potential resources. He produced when called upon in very limited playing time. Who wouldn't want to see if he could produce in a bigger role, especially on a team needing a guy like that instead of an ancient Jimmy Graham.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:44 am Given the way things happened - brought him back, then cut soon after - makes it seem like there probably is a legit health issue.

If there isn't, not even looking at him, when they have Kmet and a bunch of nobodies, is incredibly stupid.
As opposed to Kmet, a bunch of nobodies, and another nobody named Horsted?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:21 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:28 am

This.
Plus what else are meathead fans going to do for 4 months but put our hopes on those "diamonds in the rough", players we see have OBVIOUS potential but the team does not seem to give them a chance?

Next up, Dieter Eiselin. If he's on the roster ...
Molon Labe if they come for Dieter. Our arrows will block out the sun.

It’s like this team hates personality of any kind.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:29 am
UOK wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:58 am Poles "stans," sheesh.
But fucking seriously:

Dude has some kind of health concerns. I love the pitchforks coming out without a lick of information.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:29 am
dplank wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:12 pm Scrub signed in his place. OK Poles stans, let’s hear it
One thing you can say about Poles is that if he releases somebody and signs somebody else, the guy he brings in is going to have more measurables than the guy he cut. Check out Rysen John. The Canadian certainly seems to use his 6'7" height to his advantage.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/2225112/5d ... 0ef8a53cd0

Important to note that Poles claimed him off waivers rather than let him hit the open market. Apparently, he really wanted him. I guess though that John has to stay healthy first before he does anything.

Jake Tonges, Cal:

Yogi you should know this from the old board, John is simply too tall to play TE!!!! :welcome:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 am

But fucking seriously:

Dude has some kind of health concerns. I love the pitchforks coming out without a lick of information.
Information?!?!?!? We don't need no sticking information (or badges)!!!!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 am

But fucking seriously:

Facts, we don’t need no stinking facts.
wab
Mod

I hope he gets healthy and catches on somewhere. He's a fun dude.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:29 am

This is why I don't have much trust for "eye tests".

Chase Allen's (aggregate) workout numbers were thoroughly mediocre

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:43 am

As opposed to Kmet, a bunch of nobodies, and another nobody named Horsted?
The other nobodies have floated around and demonstrated pretty conclusively that they aren't anything of note.
Horsted has had extremely minimal opportunity and done nothing but flash in those limited chances.

I know which one I'd rather look at. Especially in a rebuilding year.