Letter To My Younger Self: Tarik Cohen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

That was tough.
The real sad thing is, that the tragic details aren't all that unique to Cohen.
Too many people get mixed up in too many things and you can talk to them until your blue in the face and they will not hear you.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I really hope he makes it back and has success somewhere just to get a little joy back.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I just can't imagine what it must be like to live in his world. You wish that guy could get back to the NFL and be a star again, even if only for a minute.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 pm I just can't imagine what it must be like to live in his world. You wish that guy could get back to the NFL and be a star again, even if only for a minute.
I'll be rooting for him to make it back in the league.

Hope he finds healing too.
Xee
Site Admin

Here's hoping it's true that he got back his quickness; it's just fun to watch him play.
spudbear
MVP

I remember feeling bad about the Bears luck when Cohen got hurt just after signing the big contract. But it was bad luck for Tarik, something that seems to be part of his life.
Sitting here now, looking back on everything, it almost feels like, with football, you kind of made a deal with the devil or something. Like all that’s happened was somehow the price you had to pay to make it to the NFL and be successful. And maybe that’s the case or maybe it’s not, but it’s something you’re going to have to think long and hard about, basically for your entire life going forward.
No it's not a deal with the devil, just life. He wanted to be a savior for his family but there is only one Savior. We're all shaped by our "journey" and how we handle tough times. I'm having my fill with an addict son who can't seem to get off the detox-rehab-fail cycle. I can blame drugs but it is still on him to choose.
You wouldn’t want to forget the past anyway. Your past … it’s all just part of who you are now.

But who you are can be so much more than just hurt.
Like others mentioned above, I hope Tarik Cohen can bounce back and be a scoring threat again, even if it's not for the Bears.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Bearfacts
MVP

RustinFields wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:30 pm this was a tough read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... l-football
Sure was. We tend to forget that when the game is over these guys all have lives to go to that may not be all that different from our own. They're more well off financially than almost all of us but money can't solve all of their problems or make the pain of losing someone you love hurt any less. It's that part of them that's just as human as anyone else we sometimes overlook.

As for Tarik's injury. I cannot recall the Bears even once tell fans who severe his injury was an what he was dealing with so of course some would feel he was just dogging it because he got paid before it happened. I guess that's another of those little not so secrets Pace never believed was important enough to tell. I really am glad that era is over.

Glad to hear he's finally healing as far as his football future goes but how does he heal from the rest? That's an even bigger challenge.
Bearfacts
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:49 pm
RustinFields wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:30 pm this was a tough read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... l-football
Sure was. We tend to forget that when the game is over these guys all have lives to go to that may not be all that different from our own. They're more well off financially than almost all of us but money can't solve all of their problems or make the pain of losing someone you love hurt any less. It's that part of them that's just as human as anyone else we sometimes overlook.

As for Tarik's injury. I cannot recall the Bears even once telling fans how severe his injury was an what he was dealing with so of course some would feel he was just dogging it because he got paid before it happened. I guess that's another of those little not so secrets Pace never believed was important enough to tell. I really am glad that era is over.

Glad to hear he's finally healing as far as his football future goes but how does he heal from the rest? That's an even bigger challenge.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Was it John Lennon who said “Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans”.

It’s true. This message from him is heartbreaking, but as someone else said - it’s not unique.

Not only is it not unique, it’s actually a lot better than what other people have to face in life.

We should be thankful for every day. Death & grief are inevitable in our lives. Look after your loved ones.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:47 pm
Mikefive wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 pm I just can't imagine what it must be like to live in his world. You wish that guy could get back to the NFL and be a star again, even if only for a minute.

Yeah. While it makes you want to root for him - football and money didn't solve his problems before. And it won't bring his brothers back, either. He's already got lifetime wealth for him and his mother.

Finding peace is something else.

Maybe football can refocus him and give him some daily purpose and a sense of normalcy. But maybe not. Neal Anderson comes to mind. After his mother died and his father was arrested for (a separate) murder, his career completely tanked. From the outside, it seemed like he just didn't care any more.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:24 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:47 pm

Yeah. While it makes you want to root for him - football and money didn't solve his problems before. And it won't bring his brothers back, either. He's already got lifetime wealth for him and his mother.

Finding peace is something else.

Maybe football can refocus him and give him some daily purpose and a sense of normalcy. But maybe not. Neal Anderson comes to mind. After his mother died and his father was arrested for (a separate) murder, his career completely tanked. From the outside, it seemed like he just didn't care any more.
I say it partially because it does sound like he legitimately wants to make it back. I bet if he can make it back it will be part of his healing. Because he sounds like he wants to forgive himself and remove doubt that it all could have been avoided had he not chased his own dreams.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Sad. Just sad. I'll always root for Tarik.
wab
Mod

Man, that's was an emotional read.

The NFL is more fun with Tarik in it.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wow, incredibly tough read. It puts into perspective what's important in life. Can't help but hope things get better for him and his family.
Last edited by Grizzled on Thu May 12, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:22 pm Man, that's was an emotional read.

The NFL is more fun with Tarik in it.
So is Twitter.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well that's fucking sad as shit
Richie
MVP

Yeah, must be horrible to sign a contract for millions at the age of 22. So you could play football for the Chicago Bears and be a star player.

I mean, the sheer and utter horror that must entail.

Look, his injury is unfortunate, but it's quite a charmed life he has led. You know many human beings have worse than his childhood story? And their best case is that MAYBE they can wind up regular dudes. Not in jail. Not dying. Shit... forget about the US. How about the rest of the world? His childhood was BEYOND blessed compared to what millions face across the planet.

This is a guy who entered the top 1% of wealth in his early 20's and got to do it playing football for a team we would all give our left nut to play on for free. I'm supposed to feel horrible because he suffered a knee injury? One that will heal, I might add... Feel bad because he ALMOST did something with a gun and bag of crack? Because he had a single mom who raised three boys... etc...?

Maybe some here haven't suffered or seen hopelessness before. However, I am actually semi-insulted by this"woe is me" Tarik Cohen article. Go live Tarik Cohen's life, plus some, and have a mom you need/want to "save". Making much less, in a much less glorious fashion while having to do so.

God bless those who make it into Tarik's position in life. Go make every damn penny. You've earned it. Just don't cry to me about your life in the process...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 pm Maybe some here haven't suffered or seen hopelessness before. However, I am actually semi-insulted by the self-indulgent "woe is me" Tarik Cohen article.
I generally agree to not feeling bad for football players. Or most people. That doesn't make the death of his twin and paralization of his brother less then sad. Everyone has shit. Your shit may trump my shit, my shit may trump Tariks. You can have empathy but I dont think Tarik is asking for sympathy. Hes telling others from his background to realize just because you made it doesn't mean you can fix everything.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Yeah, I don’t feel this is a “woe is me moment” from TC. Even if it was, the kid is grieving and if this is his way of getting through his shit then crack on mate :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 pm
Yeah, must be horrible to sign a contract for millions at the age of 22. So you could play football for the Chicago Bears and be a star player.

Look, his injury is unfortunate, but it's quite a charmed life he has led. You know many human beings have worse than his childhood story? And their best case is that MAYBE they can wind up regular dudes. Not in jail. Not dying. Shit... forget about the US. How about the rest of the world? His childhood was BEYOND blessed compared to what millions face across the planet.

This is a guy who entered the top 1% of wealth in his early 20's and got to do it playing football for a team we would all give our left nut to play on for free. I'm supposed to feel horrible because he suffered a knee injury? One that will heal, I might add... Feel bad because he ALMOST did something with a gun and bag of crack? Because he had a single mom who raised three boys... etc...?

Maybe some here haven't suffered or seen hopelessness before. However, I am actually semi-insulted by this"woe is me" Tarik Cohen article. Go live Tarik Cohen's life, plus some, and have a mom you need/want to "save". Making much less, in a much less glorious fashion while having to do so.

God bless those who make it into Tarik's position in life. Go make every damn penny. You've earned it. Just don't cry to me about your life in the process...
The whole point went right over your head. He wasn't lamenting his life. Notice he didn't even bring up what caused his injury, which was a total BS hit on a fair catch. He was lamenting that he couldn't fix his family despite his struggles to do so. This wasn't a "woe is me." It was more of a "damn me," that he should have done even more. That as the eldest, it was his responsibility.
MoFugger
Head Coach

Incredibly bad take on the purpose of the letter.
wab
Mod

Man... poor Tarik.

wab
Mod

UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:59 am Man... poor Tarik.

Betrayals of ones body are so maddening. These guys are being confronted with the reality that you aren't shit without healthy legs, and those legs go bye-bye very quickly. Also your career is over at 25, so have fun with that.

Potentially the worst post in this forum's history.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:17 pm
Let's all hope that isn't a knee ligament snapping that sent him to the ground.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:18 pm

Potentially the worst post in this forum's history.
Oh man...and we've had some bangers
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 pm
wab wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:17 pm
Let's all hope that isn't a knee ligament snapping that sent him to the ground.
Reports are a torn Achilles. Sad stuff.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

FUCK
Bearfacts
MVP

Wow......the empathy truck stop delivering to your place or something?

He's not looking for anyone's sympathy he's just getting some dark shit off his chest by writing it all out.