2 random Bears fans in Toronto

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

So I was flying out of YYZ yesterday and sat next to two guys decked out in Bears gear - one was big enough to be a player, for a minute I thought he was OGun but that wouldn’t have made any sense. Got to talking Bears football naturally, both have high expectations for the upcoming season and are convinced that Fields is the next Mahomes. They seem to already hate Eberflus (found that odd) and kept forgetting Poles name (just kept calling him the new GM). Basically, Fields is gonna run wild all over the league next year and we are going to make the playoffs.

They were headed to O’Hare, I was headed home to Miami. I was wondering, is this common thinking amongst the locals?
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Playoffs? Their brains must still be frozen from hibernation. Not even the biggest homer can make that claim.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Extremely funny to hate Eberflus already
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

My guess is they're Canadians and wanted Daboll. It's only 99 miles from Toronto to Buffalo.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Need to give Flus at least one game before hating him. Just kidding, He seems to be doing things correctly with his hires.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:15 am So I was flying out of YYZ yesterday and sat next to two guys decked out in Bears gear - one was big enough to be a player, for a minute I thought he was OGun but that wouldn’t have made any sense. Got to talking Bears football naturally, both have high expectations for the upcoming season and are convinced that Fields is the next Mahomes. They seem to already hate Eberflus (found that odd) and kept forgetting Poles name (just kept calling him the new GM). Basically, Fields is gonna run wild all over the league next year and we are going to make the playoffs.

They were headed to O’Hare, I was headed home to Miami. I was wondering, is this common thinking amongst the locals?
This is why Bear fans are amazing.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wiNDycityfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:22 am Playoffs? Their brains must still be frozen from hibernation. Not even the biggest homer can make that claim.
Skipping the 3 joke votes, 25% of board voters picked 9 or 10 wins, which would very likely mean playoffs.

viewtopic.php?t=16343
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

The reason that the SNL superfans are funny/legendary isn't that they're ridiculous and unbelievable, it's that they're more or less accurate depictions of our uncles or dad's highschool friends or some random dudes you meet in the airport.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

As soon as you said airport, I was thinking alcohol was pushing some of their thought processes.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Grizzled wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:57 pm As soon as you said airport, I was thinking alcohol was pushing some of their thought processes.
Or Xanax :D
dplank
Hall of Famer

Here’s a question: If you see a stranger in a random location wearing Bears gear, do you say anything to them? Outside of Chicago area of course. Are there conditions?
south pacific
Rookie

I usually say, “Go Bears” and offer a fist bump
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 pm Here’s a question: If you see a stranger in a random location wearing Bears gear, do you say anything to them? Outside of Chicago area of course. Are there conditions?
Must be a trick question.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 pm Here’s a question: If you see a stranger in a random location wearing Bears gear, do you say anything to them? Outside of Chicago area of course. Are there conditions?
I'll usually go up and say a few words to them. Kind of awkward not having some kind of secret Bears handsign for fans to identify themselves....
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't travel much, but my recollection is no.

Maybe if I were far away, like Europe.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:06 pm
wiNDycityfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:22 am Playoffs? Their brains must still be frozen from hibernation. Not even the biggest homer can make that claim.
Skipping the 3 joke votes, 25% of board voters picked 9 or 10 wins, which would very likely mean playoffs.

viewtopic.php?t=16343
What do you mean "joke votes?" Can't talk to Ark, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't joking any more than I was.
spudbear
MVP

If you see a GB fan in a random location, do you say anything to them? I'll typically shake my head and offer condolences on their lack of sense. Not towards them but "virtually".
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:37 am
Moriarty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:06 pm

viewtopic.php?t=16343
What do you mean "joke votes?" Can't talk to Ark, but I'm pretty sure that he wasn't joking any more than I was.

Any prediction of 15+ wins is a joke, whether intentional or otherwise.

Bears1074
Rookie

I don’t think many bears fans truly expect playoffs this year. There’s so many unknowns on this team so far, most notably at QB. I think it’s far too early to say this is a playoff team.

As for Flus - most fans wanted an “offensive minded head coach,” and Flus isn’t that. So naturally there will be some animosity towards him whether it’s warranted or not. I like what I’ve seen from him so far, but i felt the same way a about Nagy when he was first hired too. Let’s let this season play out and then get a better picture of where we’re at.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:11 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:37 am

Any prediction of 15+ wins is a joke, whether intentional or otherwise.
While I'm well aware 12 is less than 15 (yes I figured that out all by myself except for using Google once), my prediction of 12 wins is serious.

I really do believe that. The defense will be in the top half which is a .500 record to me and then not having to overcome the McNagy incompetence on offense is worth another couple of wins.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I'm not sure if TMP is Bill or Bob Swerski, but he's one of the two.

"I predict a minimum of 8 petes"
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

In the grocery store yesterday, I pointed at a guy in a Pecker hat and I told him we would see his team in September. He didn't even get it until I pointed out my Bears hat. Jeez what a dumb ass fan base.

The week before was better when I ran into a gal with a Peck jacket on. Her old man only had a hat on but she was really decked out and her deck was totally stacked if you get me.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 pm I'm not sure if TMP is Bill or Bob Swerski, but he's one of the two.

"I predict a minimum of 8 petes"
My 12 win prediction is also obviously not including The Ditka Factor.

If Da Coach should decide to enact a Coup D-Etat and retake his rightful place atop the throne of Da Bears then obviously I'm going to revise that number to 18 wins out of 17 games.

It will be at that point that His Greatness Sir Ditka will accept the unconditional surrender of the rest of the league and be handed the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the regular season.

(Just for the record, my 12 wins is a serious number. I'm not joking.)

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I'm not joking either with my prediction of a perfect season. I NEVER predict that the Bears will lose. I can't imagine watching a game expecting them to lose. It's also why I don't bet on the Bears. ;) But I assure you, I don't consider my prediction to be a joke.
Bearfacts
MVP

Burl wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:08 pm The reason that the SNL superfans are funny/legendary isn't that they're ridiculous and unbelievable, it's that they're more or less accurate depictions of our uncles or dad's highschool friends or some random dudes you meet in the airport.
Ain't that the truth and for some reason Bears fans always seem to require at least one coach or player to hate along with a GM whose every move will be dissected over and over again even when the reason for it is right out in the open. We are Bears Fans.