Bears sign WRs Tajae Sharpe and Dante Pettis

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Not sure either deserves its own thread. But WR depth being added to.

Welcome? I guess they can push ESB.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Dollar store bandit strikes again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xee
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 7:41 pm Dollar store bandit strikes again
So we're going back to the "Bears are cheap" trope now?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Sharpe isn't terrible, or at least hasn't been terrible in the past.

Which is more than can be said for Pettis, really.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I love it. Young cheap vets to compete for spots with the rookies. Both Sharpe and Pettis still have some potential in my opinion.
xyt in the discord chats
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Seems like same approach to RG and OT competition on day 3 of the draft but in FA. Don’t hate it but would the $ of all these fliers net us a more proven guy to be a top 3 WR for us?
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

I like it. That said, nothing to write home about, but this is what you get for years of draft busts, cap and draft capital mismanagement. I can only hope these guys can compete and push each other, and alongside better coaching and scheme, all the while supported with a strong running game, enough for 7-8 wins and better future.

As a Cub fan, this surely seems like the same approach. Here hoping this roster can yield a better output than the Wrigleyville counterparts.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:17 pm
So we're going back to the "Bears are cheap" trope now?
Lighten up Francis it’s a joke
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

You just made the list buddy.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Poles is doing what he said he'd do: sign lower tier free agents with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

More camp bodies? All I can say it's going to be an interesting season with the guys that Poles is bringing in.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

You really needed to create a whole ass thread for this picture?
dplank
Hall of Famer

I will say in all seriousness - since joking is clearly frowned up on around here - that I kind of like that Sharpe signing? Pettis not so much. But one trait that Poles has gone for with his WR's is that these guys all block - they are the antithesis of ARob in that regard. Sharpe is 6'2 and around 200 pounds and he seemed to be a good blocker downfield for Henry. Saw a bit on Twitter about this and thought it was a good take, I'd share it but I can't find it now lol...
wab
Mod

I like both signings. Pettis is super frahgeelay though. he has a ton of talent.

Sharpe seems like a smart pickup. I like him better than ESB.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Meh. Sharpe might make the team for a year.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:09 am I will say in all seriousness - since joking is clearly frowned up on around here - that I kind of like that Sharpe signing? Pettis not so much. But one trait that Poles has gone for with his WR's is that these guys all block - they are the antithesis of ARob in that regard. Sharpe is 6'2 and around 200 pounds and he seemed to be a good blocker downfield for Henry. Saw a bit on Twitter about this and thought it was a good take, I'd share it but I can't find it now lol...
In a reset year, I'm ok with filling the room full of guys with something to prove and seeing who, in an open competition, with nothing guaranteed and an opportunity to fight for a future contract, who decides to step up.

Admittedly, I really wanted to draft Equanimeous St. Brown in the 4th-5th rounds the year he came out, so part of this is hoping a 6'5" dude who knows the offense better than any of the other WRs comes in and makes the most of the opportunity -- I kind of want to cheer for a dude named Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown. That name alone is just epic.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
LT2_3
Practice Squad

BearsFanInMN wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:39 am Seems like same approach to RG and OT competition on day 3 of the draft but in FA. Don’t hate it but would the $ of all these fliers net us a more proven guy to be a top 3 WR for us?
Both these guys made about $1 mil per year for the last 2 years. That's probably really close to their one year contracts for this year with the Bears.

So, no. We couldn't get a top 3 WR for only $2 mil. Byron Pringle is a $4.1 mil per year guy already.

EDIT for more info

Mooney on his rookie contract Is at $965k

Next is Equanimeous St. Brown at $965k also

Then comes David Moore at the vet minimum salary of $1.035 mil but counting only $895k

Dazz Newsome is only making $825k.

Velus Jones still hasn't signed a contract, but Aaron Robinson, last year's 71st pick, had a rookie year cap hit of $880k. These 3rd round pick salaries are completely slotted, so maybe $910k this year?

That's it. Moneywise, all these guys are on equal footing other than Pringle.
south pacific
Rookie

This is fine. Bring in more competition with guys hungry to succeed that fit the new offensive scheme and see who sticks.

How many WR’s do we have now? 10?

It’s like TE’s, I can’t even keep up with how many we have on our roster now.
dplank
Hall of Famer

It’s a hunger games approach for sure. Like others have said I’d prefer we bundle these deals into one mid level player that might contribute more, but maybe one of these guys pops off due to a great scheme fit that maybe they haven’t had before
LT2_3
Practice Squad

dplank wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:25 am It’s a hunger games approach for sure. Like others have said I’d prefer we bundle these deals into one mid level player that might contribute more, but maybe one of these guys pops off due to a great scheme fit that maybe they haven’t had before
Like Getsy said "Davante wasn't Davante until he was"
G08
Hall of Famer

I liked Dante Pettis coming out of Washington, not sure if injuries have sapped his athleticism but in his day he was quick and had top-end speed
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:52 am I liked Dante Pettis coming out of Washington, not sure if injuries have sapped his athleticism but in his day he was quick and had top-end speed
He was drafted in 2018 and is only 26. I think he’s probably still in his day.

IIRC he got Covid in 2020 and it really negatively effected him even after he’d recovered which a lot of people had issues with but I don’t think it’s been permanent.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

LT2_3 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:07 pm
BearsFanInMN wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:39 am Seems like same approach to RG and OT competition on day 3 of the draft but in FA. Don’t hate it but would the $ of all these fliers net us a more proven guy to be a top 3 WR for us?
Both these guys made about $1 mil per year for the last 2 years. That's probably really close to their one year contracts for this year with the Bears.

So, no. We couldn't get a top 3 WR for only $2 mil. Byron Pringle is a $4.1 mil per year guy already.

EDIT for more info

Mooney on his rookie contract Is at $965k

Next is Equanimeous St. Brown at $965k also

Then comes David Moore at the vet minimum salary of $1.035 mil but counting only $895k

Dazz Newsome is only making $825k.

Velus Jones still hasn't signed a contract, but Aaron Robinson, last year's 71st pick, had a rookie year cap hit of $880k. These 3rd round pick salaries are completely slotted, so maybe $910k this year?

That's it. Moneywise, all these guys are on equal footing other than Pringle.
Thanks for the research. I had thought St. Brown was higher, but yeah outside of Pringle (or even with Pringle) not enough money to aggregate into someone we might argue was a clearly better option.

I do remember being interested in Sharpe when he came out.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:09 am I will say in all seriousness - since joking is clearly frowned up on around here - that I kind of like that Sharpe signing? Pettis not so much. But one trait that Poles has gone for with his WR's is that these guys all block - they are the antithesis of ARob in that regard. Sharpe is 6'2 and around 200 pounds and he seemed to be a good blocker downfield for Henry. Saw a bit on Twitter about this and thought it was a good take, I'd share it but I can't find it now lol...
Yep, most signs point to this being a very run heavy team in 2022.
G08
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:18 pm
G08 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:52 am I liked Dante Pettis coming out of Washington, not sure if injuries have sapped his athleticism but in his day he was quick and had top-end speed
He was drafted in 2018 and is only 26. I think he’s probably still in his day.

IIRC he got Covid in 2020 and it really negatively effected him even after he’d recovered which a lot of people had issues with but I don’t think it’s been permanent.
I read some rumblings that he was more interested in wanting to be on a reality television show / writer than he was on football.

I guess we'll see... the kid is talented, though!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

cblaz11
MVP

I’ve been pretty hard on Poles….that said, I low key kinda like what he’s doing at WR. Young, talented guys that just haven’t really put it all together yet. All seem to be hard nosed team guys, let’s see who clicks with Fields.
Heinz D.
MVP

I'll take your word for that. Remember when he was drafted, but didn't know a helluva lot about him then, and still don't. Not certain I've seen him play professionally.

Sharpe is a solid add, though. He's a talented dude. So...got to like both signings. I figured Poles would get a bigger name, but can't say I'm shocked (or all that disappointed) that he didn't. And, progress is progress.

It would be nice if Poles got Daryl Williams to play RG now, but we'll see what happens. (Even if the rookies look sharp, you'd think he'd want a hedge.)
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think there’s a difference between “I love writing as an artistic expression” and “I want to be star for stardom sake” but I’m always hoping that it’s possible to be a well-rounded human and succeed in the NFL so maybe I’m seeing what I want to see in this article

https://boardroom.tv/dante-pettis-art-cr18-launch/
xyt in the discord chats
Bearfacts
MVP

Two weeks ago some were criticizing Poles for not having drafted or signed enough talent at WR. So he adds two younger vets and now some want to criticize who he signed? :frustrated:

These two are no more than a vet upgrade to some of the inexperienced UDFA guys they have. Mooney and Pringle are the #1 and #2 guys. All the rest are competing for the #3-#5 spots.

Poles has been doing this kind of upgrade from the back end forward approach all spring long and we'll probably see more of it as more vet FA hit the streets or guys they may have wanted to draft or sign as a UDFA get let go.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:02 pm Two weeks ago some were criticizing Poles for not having drafted or signed enough talent at WR. So he adds two younger vets and now some want to criticize who he signed? :frustrated:
Yes? The level of talent he signed or didn’t sign is literally the point. You might want to rethink this one bud.

If he signed Cheech and Chong would that matter? 😂