Horsted cut

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

My read on this move is that Getsy doesn't really have a role for a WR/TE hybrid like Horsted, he prefers more classic two way TE's - guys that can block as well or better than receive. Even a "receiving TE" type in Getsy's offense probably needs a higher floor for blocking ability than Horsted provided, and so he just didn't really have a chance to make the team - and yea they did him a solid by letting him go now if they knew that.

I also think this plays a part in our OL projection and strategy. Better blocking from TE's, and being stronger at the point at C, could really help mask some talent deficiencies elsewhere - at least that's the hope. And as mentioned in the other thread, we're accumulating WR's that block with effort downfield, which will really help spring more RAC from both the short throws and in the running game. It's a complete departure from McNagy's scheme.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:02 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:43 am

As opposed to Kmet, a bunch of nobodies, and another nobody named Horsted?
The other nobodies have floated around and demonstrated pretty conclusively that they aren't anything of note.
Horsted has had extremely minimal opportunity and done nothing but flash in those limited chances.

I know which one I'd rather look at. Especially in a rebuilding year.
I dont think that anyone other than some rabid bear's fans would say jesper "flashed", which makes looking at the stats of these other guys and blanket saying "they havent flashed" kind of silly.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:13 am My read on this move is that Getsy doesn't really have a role for a WR/TE hybrid like Horsted, he prefers more classic two way TE's - guys that can block as well or better than receive. Even a "receiving TE" type in Getsy's offense probably needs a higher floor for blocking ability than Horsted provided
It's possible, maybe. But if so, I don't like it.

Looking at GB's roster, their "starter" (Lewis) was a big, slow guy. But the other 2 were little, light TEs, so I'm not so sure about that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:43 am

As opposed to Kmet, a bunch of nobodies, and another nobody named Horsted?
The other nobodies have floated around and demonstrated pretty conclusively that they aren't anything of note.
Horsted has had extremely minimal opportunity and done nothing but flash in those limited chances.

Or he’s a guy that got in the game, defense just forgot or didn’t bother covering him.

50% of Bradley Sowells targets resulted in touchdowns, which just means the defense was caught off guard.
IE
Hall of Famer

Jesper wasn't at the voluntary minicamp nor the rookie camp that also seemed to include PS players. So it doesn't seem likely or at least plausible that he has some nagging injury that has kept him away at a time when they just plain have a lot of eval work they're trying to do on the fringes of the team.

It is possible they could bring him back for camp if he was healthy. I wouldn't bet on it given the churn they're doing on depth chart and would guess that they amicably waived him how they did so he could get paid a bit while his agent finds him some other place to try to catch on. Which he almost certainly will.

I'm going to predict that he becomes a Viking.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 am

Or he’s a guy that got in the game, defense just forgot or didn’t bother covering him.
Theoretically possible. But that isn't what happened.

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well covered
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Kind of a wow thread
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I get it, Horsted is a cool story, kind of flashed but we had a crap show running the operation. He’s hurt and the new regime obviously has other plans. It’s not like we just cut Mooney.

This is closer to Braverman, who can’t even get it done in the CFL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea, I'm in no way worried about losing Horsted. My interest here was seeing how the Horsted stans that overlap with Poles stans would react to the news.
Heinz D.
MVP

wab wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:13 am I hope he gets healthy and catches on somewhere. He's a fun dude.
He's an intriguing player, no doubt.

I hope he ends up back in Chicago! It would be nice to see what the Bears can get out of him. Instead of...whatever Nagy did.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
south pacific
Rookie

This move doesn’t make any sense.

How could Horsted be hurt from not.playing? I don’t recall ever seeing him on the injury report. Talk about a guy who did everything he was supposed to and showed some good skills but was never given a fair chance.

I think Poles has begun an entire rebuild with “his guys” and fill in the gap players who likely won’t be here after their 1-year deals expires after the end of this season.

It’s going to make watching the 2022 Bears a bitter pill to swallow.with a bunch of “spares” playing.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:13 am My read on this move is that Getsy doesn't really have a role for a WR/TE hybrid like Horsted, he prefers more classic two way TE's - guys that can block as well or better than receive. Even a "receiving TE" type in Getsy's offense probably needs a higher floor for blocking ability than Horsted provided, and so he just didn't really have a chance to make the team - and yea they did him a solid by letting him go now if they knew that.

I also think this plays a part in our OL projection and strategy. Better blocking from TE's, and being stronger at the point at C, could really help mask some talent deficiencies elsewhere - at least that's the hope. And as mentioned in the other thread, we're accumulating WR's that block with effort downfield, which will really help spring more RAC from both the short throws and in the running game. It's a complete departure from McNagy's scheme.
My read is he was hurt and they needed to get more camp bodies and the pickings were slim. If this was just about him not fitting what they wanted to do, they could have cut him and paid him nothing. This way they are paying him. That to me seems to show they may want him back when/if he gets healthy.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

xyt in the discord chats
south pacific
Rookie

I hope he makes it back to the Bears. I don’t know what kind of injury he apparently is dealing with.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

He is now back with the Bears on the PUP list. Smart move by Poles. Probably knew no one was going to claim him off waivers. Now he can work on whatever physical ailment he has without counting against the 90 man roster. Always liked him, I hope he sticks.
IE
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:43 am He is now back with the Bears on the PUP list. Smart move by Poles. Probably knew no one was going to claim him off waivers. Now he can work on whatever physical ailment he has without counting against the 90 man roster. Always liked him, I hope he sticks.
Stan-approved
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yay 😂

I do hope he gets a fair look and wins a job.
wab
Mod

crueltyabc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm
By GAWD…That’s JESPER HORSTED’S music
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:47 am
crueltyabc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:26 pm
By GAWD…That’s JESPER HORSTED’S music
I can see it now…

God I love this bit.

WELCOME TO………SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL…..IS……..JESPER!!!!

IE
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:34 pm I would bet every dollar, that I ever make, for the rest of my life. Rendering me perpetually broke and homeless. That Jesper F'ing Horsted amounts to absolute dick in this league. Which, by the way, let's throw that into the bet! My dick... Seriously. I will bet my dick that you all are upset over a dude and condemning our new GM over a dude that never catches 20 balls in a season. Perhaps... shit... maybe not 20 in his ENTIRE career.
I'm sure your penis is safe. I mean his max so far is 4 in a game and 8 in a season. I'm sure you're safe from 1.1765 catches per game. But just in case, you might want to consider playing with a bit more before you take it off.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:54 am
Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:34 pm I would bet every dollar, that I ever make, for the rest of my life. Rendering me perpetually broke and homeless. That Jesper F'ing Horsted amounts to absolute dick in this league. Which, by the way, let's throw that into the bet! My dick... Seriously. I will bet my dick that you all are upset over a dude and condemning our new GM over a dude that never catches 20 balls in a season. Perhaps... shit... maybe not 20 in his ENTIRE career.
I'm sure your penis is safe. I mean his max so far is 4 in a game and 8 in a season. I'm sure you're safe from 1.1765 catches per game. But just in case, you might want to consider playing with a bit more before you take it off.
Well, I guess he can if he's only trying to call a two cent raise. lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
south pacific
Rookie

…aaand he’s back!

It’s telling though that no other team wanted to make a waiver claim on him.
south pacific
Rookie

Who was that dude that got cut and resigned about twenty times. Anyone remember? Was it Horsted?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

south pacific wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:15 am Who was that dude that got cut and resigned about twenty times. Anyone remember? Was it Horsted?
Bradley Sowell.

Another 4D Chess maneuver by the Master Strategist himself. McNagy.

It was almost like McNagy got a free sub every tenth time he did it.

Xee
Site Admin

Aaaand he's gone again:

Looks like Poles tried to do him a solid by letting him test the waters and when no one bit, re-signed him so he could get the settlement.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:22 pm Aaaand he's gone again:

Looks like Poles tried to do him a solid by letting him test the waters and when no one bit, re-signed him so he could get the settlement.
There are times I truly hate this franchise. We are literally incapable of having any fun at all.

Good grief the McCaskey's could take a birthday party with a bouncy house, a pinata, and Bag-Os and give it the atmosphere of a funeral.
spudbear
MVP

It was the best of times, it was the Horst(ed) of times. Talk about your off-season emotional roller coaster - sheesh!
And I just spent a 1:40 of my life watching his highlight "reel". They were incredible catches, not something even ARob could do.

He is a Princeton grad so maybe some of those Ivy league "smarts" can help him along his way. He could mint his own digital money: JesperCoin.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

At least Poles seems intent on treating guys with respect and decency (Mack move, this one, etc). That will pay dividends down the road. Hoping the OGun thing isn’t a black mark, read another player say something about how we did him wrong…