2022 UDFAs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Normally, I take it upon myself to make a thread of highlights of our UDFAs, but this year I found Bearswire already beat me to it:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/ch ... ighlights/

With Pace, he seemed to have 2-3 UDFAs who were really impressive, but then a huge drop off in the talent level, so it was somewhat easy to project who would make the team or practice squad. With Poles, however, ALL of his UDFAs seem to be really athletic. It's much harder to separate them. I'm not even going to try.

I will say that Master Teague is probably the most intriguing, but I don't believe that he'll make it through the rest of the league to make our practice squad, and I think we have to many RBs to make our regular roster. I still really like Cyrus Holder because of his size, but the other WRs are really impressive on their own. We're going to have some WRs on our practice squad, that's for sure. All the LBs are impressive, but not sure about any of their pass coverage. I do think that either Chase Allen or Jake Tongues make the team, maybe both. It's a coin flip. I lean slightly to Allen. Both of the corners are slower, but impressive on the field. Despite all the late round offensive linemen, Jean Delance has a real shot at the team. Dew-Treadway simply doesn't have enough film to judge. But all in all, I'm really impressed with the athleticism of all these guys.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:52 am I will say that Master Teague is probably the most intriguing, but I don't believe that he'll make it through the rest of the league to make our practice squad, and I think we have to many RBs to make our regular roster.
Didn't Teague get waived a few days ago?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Delance, Sanborn, Allen, and Lenoir seem the early favorites to make the team.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:35 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:52 am I will say that Master Teague is probably the most intriguing, but I don't believe that he'll make it through the rest of the league to make our practice squad, and I think we have to many RBs to make our regular roster.
He did.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m expecting the unexpected. Poles wants to reshape this roster and has no allegiances nor does he appear concerned about a particular time frame.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:35 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 2:35 pm
He did.
That's surprising. Maybe he's trying to do Teague a solid by letting him catch on with another team. De'Montre Tuggle doesn't seem like near the prospect Teague is.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:55 am That's surprising. Maybe he's trying to do Teague a solid by letting him catch on with another team. De'Montre Tuggle doesn't seem like near the prospect Teague is.
Why would Poles sign a UDFA and then cut him to 'do him a solid'?

Poles' job isn't to do players 'a solid', it's to improve the Bears roster.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

All I can say is that Tuggle doesn't seem like an improvement over Teague. Not at all.
Bearfacts
MVP

Sometimes cuts and/or releases are just about the number of players at certain positions they need to have just to run an effective practice. We'll always need more linemen and secondary than running backs. The other reason could be they see no ST value in a player they know cannot contribute offensively or defensively as well. That could be why Teague was cut.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Except they brought in De'Montre Tuggle, a RB from Ohio U, when they waived Teague.
Middleguard
MVP

I see AJ Thomas listed as a cornerback, a safety, and a linebacker. Can he play any of those positions? Was he at R minicamp, and if so, where did the Bears try him?
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:13 pm Except they brought in De'Montre Tuggle, a RB from Ohio U, when they waived Teague.
ST maybe? Or speed? Or whatever. Could be most anything but maintaining enough players at each position for practices is always a big reason why some are cut. And we should probably accept that they had zero chance of ever contributing much.

If they don't see a fit no sense keeping a guy around instead of letting him try to hook on somewhere else.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Tuggle is a lot slower than Teague: 4.8 to 4.44
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:44 pm Tuggle is a lot slower than Teague: 4.8 to 4.44
I don't have a high opinion of Teague, so I'm more than fine with letting him go.

I don't know anything about the guy personally, but the fact that he's back on the street — and still there — indicates to me that he's not worth fretting over. I suspect (this is speculation and nothing more) that there's a football character issue with him.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing he just showed up not ready and they went with a guy who did.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:53 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:44 pm Tuggle is a lot slower than Teague: 4.8 to 4.44
I don't have a high opinion of Teague, so I'm more than fine with letting him go.

I don't know anything about the guy personally, but the fact that he's back on the street — and still there — indicates to me that he's not worth fretting over. I suspect (this is speculation and nothing more) that there's a football character issue with him.
Yeah there is clearly something with him. Physically everyone saw him at ohio st. Something clearly didnt work out and nfl isnt going to fix it.
Bearfacts
MVP

I dunno then Yogi. I'm just throwing out some of the more common reasons. Poles doesn't consult with me regarding his. :surrender:
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I guess Poles has become Jack Nicholson.