Letter To My Younger Self: Tarik Cohen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

LacertineForest
MVP

I don't have any interest in watching that video - always loved watching this guy on Sundays. His story is heart-wrenching. Especially as a foster parent and listening to some of the trauma kids have gone through, I can see how common his situation is (well, except the part where someone in the family is a pro athlete and actually has a way out of the nightmare).

I'll always remember him coming hot out of the gate in his debut against Atlanta, and some of the ridiculous stuff he did on the field over his short career (assuming it's over at this point). I truly hope he finds something great as he continues his journey through life.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... gram-live/

He was posting on instragram live and it looks like he torn is Achilles. Done for the year before he can even sign.

Sad.
UOK
Site Admin

Tore his achilles? Fuck.
Hero
Player of the Month

Man I just saw that. You could hear it pop. Sucks.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:18 pm
wab wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:59 am Man... poor Tarik.

Betrayals of ones body are so maddening. These guys are being confronted with the reality that you aren't shit without healthy legs, and those legs go bye-bye very quickly. Also your career is over at 25, so have fun with that.
Richie wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:47 pm

Yeah, must be horrible to sign a contract for millions at the age of 22. So you could play football for the Chicago Bears and be a star player.

I mean, the sheer and utter horror that must entail.

Look, his injury is unfortunate, but it's quite a charmed life he has led. You know many human beings have worse than his childhood story? And their best case is that MAYBE they can wind up regular dudes. Not in jail. Not dying. Shit... forget about the US. How about the rest of the world? His childhood was BEYOND blessed compared to what millions face across the planet.

This is a guy who entered the top 1% of wealth in his early 20's and got to do it playing football for a team we would all give our left nut to play on for free. I'm supposed to feel horrible because he suffered a knee injury? One that will heal, I might add... Feel bad because he ALMOST did something with a gun and bag of crack? Because he had a single mom who raised three boys... etc...?

Maybe some here haven't suffered or seen hopelessness before. However, I am actually semi-insulted by this"woe is me" Tarik Cohen article. Go live Tarik Cohen's life, plus some, and have a mom you need/want to "save". Making much less, in a much less glorious fashion while having to do so.

God bless those who make it into Tarik's position in life. Go make every damn penny. You've earned it. Just don't cry to me about your life in the process...
Potentially the worst post in this forum's history.
Cmon - No one even called him a Hero!
Umbali
MVP

Damn! That sucks
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bearfacts
MVP

If it wasn't for bad luck he wouldn't have no luck at all. With credit to William Bell and Booker T Jones.
Bearfacts
MVP

I fear Tarik's days as"the human joystick" are over. And to think all of this started because of an injury fair catching a punt. Ironic.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Sucks hard.
Richie
MVP

Definitely sucks to hear Cohen hurt himself (live nonetheless) earlier today. That might spell the end for his career, unfortunately.
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:26 pm
UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 pm

Let's all hope that isn't a knee ligament snapping that sent him to the ground.
Reports are a torn Achilles. Sad stuff.
I think you can hear it pop on the video. Fuck, what a nightmare.

Also hard agree on the terrible post being terrible. Not the worst part of it but absolute lol at playing football for free. There's absolutely zero chance I'd consider playing pro football for free, it absolutely fucks your body up and I'd be pushing for every single dollar as a marginal player.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
dplank
Hall of Famer

I still have neck issues from High School ball FFS, I can’t imagine what happens to a multi year pro. My brother still has shoulder problems from High School ball as well. I tend to side with players on matters involving money / holdouts/ contract beefs .
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 am I still have neck issues from High School ball FFS, I can’t imagine what happens to a multi year pro. My brother still has shoulder problems from High School ball as well. I tend to side with players on matters involving money / holdouts/ contract beefs .
Yeah, I am nearly always on the side of labor in this sort of thing.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:07 am
dplank wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 am I still have neck issues from High School ball FFS, I can’t imagine what happens to a multi year pro. My brother still has shoulder problems from High School ball as well. I tend to side with players on matters involving money / holdouts/ contract beefs .
Yeah, I am nearly always on the side of labor in this sort of thing.
I nearly always find fault on both sides.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:20 pm
UOK wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:18 pm

Potentially the worst post in this forum's history.
Oh man...and we've had some bangers
Yeah, that’s about as bad of take as I have seen here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A sympathetic article about Tarik Cohen from Rick Morrissey of the Sun Times:
Tarik Cohen is much more than the sum of his considerable pain

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... o-achilles
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Dang, I finally read Tarik's letter...really saddening. At this point I hope he can heal well enough to at least live a normal and healthy life.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's probably finished in the NFL. He made the choice to pursue his football dreams and feels he let down his family by not being there for support, with several brothers dying while he wasn't there. But he can be proud of providing a house free and clear, putting aside college money for his 2 nephews among the other good he did for them.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m just really sad that he feels as a big brother he had so much responsibility on his shoulders.

He’s not their parent, it’s a shame his mum was a single-parent and societal pressures led his brothers down the wrong paths.
Ultimately he had a God given talent and he worked hard to reach his potential.

He has nothing to regret he should be proud of his achievements. He’s not responsible for the troubles his brothers have been involved in.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural