Feelings Of Shame: It’s OK To Cry

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

Cartman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:20 pm I've never felt ashamed (or cried for that matter) over the Bears. But I have gotten to the point that I think I'm done with the team. Never gotten that far before. But at this point, it's just been too much. I wasn't excited about the draft. When I saw they ignored the Oline until the 5th round, something just switched off. I'm sitting here thinking, they trade up to get their "Franchise" QB last year. They let their best offensive lineman leave, they have no marquee WR for Fields to throw to. It doesn't appear they've drafted any immediate starters to protect him. This team will not score at all in 2022 and I doubt Fields will make it through the season healthy. How can you hang your offense out to dry like that. And then it occurred to me, the ownership doesn't really care. So why should I?

In case any of us forgot, here is their record over the last 9 years. It hardly inspires hope.

At this point, I think I'm done. I'm not embarrassed. I'm not ashamed. I'm not sad. I'm just disappointed and frustrated. Why follow a team that can't put a winning product on the field? Abuse me all you want. But I've been a diehard fan for 40 years. The McCaskey's have taken enough of my time and money. Time to stop following one team and just follow football in general. I guess you can only kick a dog so many times before he learns.
I do apathetic while Cartman does hopelessly and completely over and done with this shit......LOL.

Brother if James Daniels is who we claim as our best OL we in deeper shit than we think and what is Darnell Mooney? Chopped liver?

Poles and "Flus" have both my attention and a honeymoon period to get this whole deal right for a change. They deserve that much.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Cartman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:20 pm I've never felt ashamed (or cried for that matter) over the Bears. But I have gotten to the point that I think I'm done with the team. Never gotten that far before. But at this point, it's just been too much. I wasn't excited about the draft. When I saw they ignored the Oline until the 5th round, something just switched off. I'm sitting here thinking, they trade up to get their "Franchise" QB last year. They let their best offensive lineman leave, they have no marquee WR for Fields to throw to. It doesn't appear they've drafted any immediate starters to protect him. This team will not score at all in 2022 and I doubt Fields will make it through the season healthy. How can you hang your offense out to dry like that. And then it occurred to me, the ownership doesn't really care. So why should I?

In case any of us forgot, here is their record over the last 9 years. It hardly inspires hope.

At this point, I think I'm done. I'm not embarrassed. I'm not ashamed. I'm not sad. I'm just disappointed and frustrated. Why follow a team that can't put a winning product on the field? Abuse me all you want. But I've been a diehard fan for 40 years. The McCaskey's have taken enough of my time and money. Time to stop following one team and just follow football in general. I guess you can only kick a dog so many times before he learns.
What you're saying is rational and at least you acknowledge there are other things to enjoy in the league.

I have NFL Game Pass and I'd watch the Bears game, but then I'd get more excited about the game Tony Romo called or find out which game was the best one that week. I'm also really learning to enjoy the Burrow-Chase combo. There's just something exciting about watching the Bengals. Then The GOAT and then Baby GOAT Mahomes.

That's another thing about the Bears. When was the last time they had a charismatic player? Cutler as a wise ass? If they're going to suck, then at least have interesting people. It's why I am legit pissed they didn't trade for Minshew. A 6th round draft choice for a starting QB on a rookie deal, but instead we get Andy Dalton at $10M per year and we're told it's because he knew Lazor's offense. Even though we wound up drafting Justin Fields and he was going to get the reigns anyway. Well how did that work out?

It's a big league out there. With technology it is no longer necessary to be loyal to just one team if they aren't making a serious effort to win.

Fields is my last hurrah and I've said that a few times around here. If he bombs out or becomes Mitch that I think I'm done. At that point we're talking 2023 or 2024 because you know what you have with a QB by Year 3.

I will have been a fan since '85 and then for almost 40 years. In that time I have the 2006 Super Bowl loss, the 2010 NFC Championship game loss, and the magical 2018 season (driven by Fangio's defense) ending with the Double Doink to show for it. That's plenty for any rational human being to tolerate.

At the same time I have one foot out the door with this team, I am legitimately excited about next offseason where we have a shit ton of cap room and most likely a high first round pick.
Heinz D.
MVP

BreadNCircuses wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:38 am I'm as much a Prince fan as I am a Bears fan, and that halftime show is probably my favorite halftime show of all time. I've never gone back and rewatched the game, but I've watched that whole show multiple times over the years.
Eric Clapton was once asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player in the world, and he replied, "I have no idea--you'll have to go ask Prince."
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Heinz D.
MVP

Cartman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:20 pm At this point, I think I'm done. I'm not embarrassed. I'm not ashamed. I'm not sad. I'm just disappointed and frustrated. Why follow a team that can't put a winning product on the field? Abuse me all you want. But I've been a diehard fan for 40 years. The McCaskey's have taken enough of my time and money. Time to stop following one team and just follow football in general. I guess you can only kick a dog so many times before he learns.
That's too bad. Love your avatar. And you seem like a cool dude. Hopefully you'll flit in from tome to time--Bears fan or no...
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:06 pm Top 5 greatest guitar players ever. Wasn't even that big a fan, but the talent is undeniable.
Totally agree.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:03 pm
BreadNCircuses wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:38 am I'm as much a Prince fan as I am a Bears fan, and that halftime show is probably my favorite halftime show of all time. I've never gone back and rewatched the game, but I've watched that whole show multiple times over the years.
Eric Clapton was once asked what it was like to be the greatest guitar player in the world, and he replied, "I have no idea--you'll have to go ask Prince."
Wow! Is this really true? And he never mentioned me? Not even once?

Why that Brit rat bastard. That's it. I'm selling my Clapton Strat tomorrow. :rofl:
LacertineForest
MVP

I used to rage badly after Bears' games as a kid growing up in the 90's. I don't think I ever cried, but I have definitely been kept up at night, agitated by the way a game went earlier in the day, even as an adult. Over the past few years, I've really distanced myself from football, watching maybe 1-2 games / year and a smattering of highlights here and there. I'll pick it up again when the Bears are worth watching, but I have better things to do with my Sundays than sit on my ass and watch a mediocre football team every week.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:27 pm Wow! Is this really true?
Absolutely true.
Xee
Site Admin

To be fair, I think any "great" guitarist who doesn't have a massive ego will be hesitant to call themselves the greatest. I'm a Hendrix nut and he reportedly said on two different occasions that Terry Kath was better than him. I'm inclined to believe, because he was known for being quiet and shy, and because he had jammed with Kath, he was just paying him a compliment.

That said, I'm going to go and listen to Prince's solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for the millionth time . . .

Bearfacts
MVP

Xee wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 pm

To be fair, I think any "great" guitarist who doesn't have a massive ego will be hesitant to call themselves the greatest. I'm a Hendrix nut and he reportedly said on two different occasions that Terry Kath was better than him. I'm inclined to believe, because he was known for being quiet and shy, and because he had jammed with Kath, he was just paying him a compliment.

That said, I'm going to go and listen to Prince's solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for the millionth time . . .

Yup.....that was a solo for the ages. Hotter than the grand opening of hell and done on the finest of all guitars, a Telecaster.

I've always said. Leo Fender got it right the first time. :grovel:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 pm I'm a Hendrix nut and he reportedly said on two different occasions that Terry Kath was better than him. I'm inclined to believe, because he was known for being quiet and shy, and because he had jammed with Kath, he was just paying him a compliment.
It's possible. But I have no trouble believing it.

(2:50 if impatient)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Hendrix once jammed with Rashaan Roland Kirk and said he was afraid to play anything during the jam for fear of disrupting perfection. He was a very humble guy.

As to all the Bear apathy and disillusionment, it just makes me sad. Probably because I had season tickets throughout the eighties, I've developed a very hard shell. I've seen every regular season game since the I got the Sunday Ticket in '90 I think. I only remembering missing the last bit of the Cleveland Brown overtime game. I had to be pick up my kids from my Ex. Heard on the radio the Bears won. Couldn't believe it. Of course, I had it recorded and watched the ending with my daughter who kept saying there's no way the Bears were going to win. She's been a huge fan ever since. ;)

I will die a Bear fan rooting just as hard for them as ever. My kids too. And when I die, it won't be so much a death as a hibernation, waiting to root on my Bears once the offseason is over. lol

The only time I ever considered NOT rooting for the Bears were if they ever signed JaRapist Winston. Just can't root for a rapist or have any part of a team that has one on it.
Cartman
Practice Squad

I love that this thread just turned into a guitar greats thread. Now this is more my speed.

My favorite has always been Eddie Van Halen. I idolized him growing up. I'll go to my grave saying he's the best rock and roll guitarist of all time (yes, completely subjective, I know). Zakk Wylde recently stated he considers the round table of guitar greatness in the Hall Of Fame to be (in no particular order) Randy Rhodes, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen.

I'd agree with that statement.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

What? No Stevie Ray? No Tommy Bolin? Here's a really cool album with Albert King with a young Stevie Ray:

It's not Rock and Roll, but I wonder if any of you have heard of this guy:

Best Australian guitarist I ever heard.
Heinz D.
MVP

Xee wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 pm To be fair, I think any "great" guitarist who doesn't have a massive ego will be hesitant to call themselves the greatest. I'm a Hendrix nut and he reportedly said on two different occasions that Terry Kath was better than him. I'm inclined to believe, because he was known for being quiet and shy, and because he had jammed with Kath, he was just paying him a compliment.
I get where you're coming from...but in this case I not only think Clapton was right, but knew he was speaking truth.

And I like Clapton quite a bit. Prince was just better...technically and artistically.

Cartman wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:20 am I love that this thread just turned into a guitar greats thread. Now this is more my speed.

My favorite has always been Eddie Van Halen. I idolized him growing up. I'll go to my grave saying he's the best rock and roll guitarist of all time (yes, completely subjective, I know). Zakk Wylde recently stated he considers the round table of guitar greatness in the Hall Of Fame to be (in no particular order) Randy Rhodes, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton and Eddie Van Halen.

I'd agree with that statement.
Yowza.

That's tough. I mean REALLY tough. I'll give ya Eddie. Hard not to, and I just listened to Fair Warning yet again yesterday.

It's a big debate beyond that, I'd say...and I LOVE all the dudes you listed there (or Zakk Wylde did, or whatever). Garcia and Zappa were unconventional cats...but holy shit were they good. Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane, then later Hot Tuna, was a pretty spectacular player. Stevie Ray has to be in the argument too, doesn't he? And more recent guys, like Jack White and Matt Bellamy of Muse are just phenomenal.

We could go round and round on this subject for some time, I think...
Xee
Site Admin

Heinz D. wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:24 pm
Xee wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 pm To be fair, I think any "great" guitarist who doesn't have a massive ego will be hesitant to call themselves the greatest. I'm a Hendrix nut and he reportedly said on two different occasions that Terry Kath was better than him. I'm inclined to believe, because he was known for being quiet and shy, and because he had jammed with Kath, he was just paying him a compliment.
I get where you're coming from...but in this case I not only think Clapton was right, but knew he was speaking truth.

And I like Clapton quite a bit. Prince was just better...technically and artistically.
I've heard most of Clapton's popular songs but I honestly haven't really heard much of Prince so I can't comment. I will say though that I never really thought of Clapton as having his own, unique sound that you'd be able to tell apart from others if you just heard a solo without any context.

Yowza.

That's tough. I mean REALLY tough. I'll give ya Eddie. Hard not to, and I just listened to Fair Warning yet again yesterday.

It's a big debate beyond that, I'd say...and I LOVE all the dudes you listed there (or Zakk Wylde did, or whatever). Garcia and Zappa were unconventional cats...but holy shit were they good. Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane, then later Hot Tuna, was a pretty spectacular player. Stevie Ray has to be in the argument too, doesn't he? And more recent guys, like Jack White and Matt Bellamy of Muse are just phenomenal.

We could go round and round on this subject for some time, I think...
[/quote]

Definitely. Each genre has its own greats and comparing them to each other is like comparing apples to oranges. I mean, you have guys like Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Jerry Reed, Chet Atkins, etc. who were are all amazing guitarists in their own right but they each had their own styles.
Bearfacts
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:53 am
Xee wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:58 pm I'm a Hendrix nut and he reportedly said on two different occasions that Terry Kath was better than him. I'm inclined to believe, because he was known for being quiet and shy, and because he had jammed with Kath, he was just paying him a compliment.

Terry Kath was a very, very, very good guitarist and a great fit in Chicago. His accidental death has always been a tragedy.

But "best" is such a subjective term that it really should be broken down into "best at what"? Once you do that the list gets an awful lot longer.
Last edited by Bearfacts on Sat May 21, 2022 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:02 pm What? No Stevie Ray? No Tommy Bolin? Here's a really cool album with Albert King with a young Stevie Ray:

It's not Rock and Roll, but I wonder if any of you have heard of this guy:

Best Australian guitarist I ever heard.
Tommy Emanuel is not only the best Australian guitarist I've ever heard ( 3 times in live shows) he's simply one of the best guitarist ever. Chet Atkins created a title of Certified Guitar Player and only gave that title to four others. Tommy Emmanuel, John Knowles, Steve Wariner, and the late Jerry Reed. Any one of them could play anything from country to rock to classical to whatever.

https://acousticguitar.com/chet-atkins- ... r-players/

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 am
Moriarty wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:53 am

Terry Kath was a very, very, very good guitarist and a great fit in Chicago. His accidental death has always been a tragedy.

But "best" is such a subjective term that it really should be broken down into "best at what"? Once you do that the list gets an awful lot longer.
So sad to see that clip and realize what Chicago has become. They used to be one of my favorite groups. A good friend of mine's sister actually dated their drummer for a while. So about ten years ago I was excited to get tickets to finally see them live. Boy, was I disappointed. I think with the loss of Kath, they lost their heart. When I saw them, they simply played all their tunes boxed up: Note for note from their albums. So fucking disappointing.

I think you're right when you talk about how "the best" is so subjective, it really become more of "your favorite." One of my, if not my most, favorite has to be Tommy Bolin. I love how he went from the Janis Jopliny band Zephyr to something like Energy to one of the first Fusion bands with Billy Cobham to James Gang, Deep Purple, and his own band.

I couldn't find any video that was in sync so I leave you with this from Energy:

And one with Billy Cobham

Also, I can't help but bring up Duane Allman and Dickie Betts in all this. I think that Whipping Post is one of the greatest Rock songs of all time.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If we're going to talk great guitarists, David Gilmour has to be part of the discussion.

Then I've posted this elsewhere here, but this is the greatest live musical recording I've ever seen.

Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:18 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:59 am

So sad to see that clip and realize what Chicago has become. They used to be one of my favorite groups. A good friend of mine's sister actually dated their drummer for a while. So about ten years ago I was excited to get tickets to finally see them live. Boy, was I disappointed. I think with the loss of Kath, they lost their heart. When I saw them, they simply played all their tunes boxed up: Note for note from their albums. So fucking disappointing.

I think you're right when you talk about how "the best" is so subjective, it really become more of "your favorite." One of my, if not my most, favorite has to be Tommy Bolin. I love how he went from the Janis Jopliny band Zephyr to something like Energy to one of the first Fusion bands with Billy Cobham to James Gang, Deep Purple, and his own band.

I couldn't find any video that was in sync so I leave you with this from Energy:

And one with Billy Cobham

Also, I can't help but bring up Duane Allman and Dickie Betts in all this. I think that Whipping Post is one of the greatest Rock songs of all time.
There are just so many great guitarist out there from that 60's-'70s era and then Van Halen launched another group of copy cat types in the '80s. But I still believe the mid '60s to the early '80s was the golden age of guitar based rock and blues.

Tommy Bolin was a major talent. Zephyr was based here in Boulder and in their hey day they were hot. I think David and Cindy Givens may still live around Boulder and eventually formed a very popular local band called the 4-Nikators.. Interestingly enough when Tommy left Zephyr he was replaced my a good friend of mine, Jock Bartley. That was no easy task for certain. Tommy was so damn versatile and a monster player and another guy gone way too soon.

After Zephyr Jock toured with Gram Parsons then started Firefall along with Rick Roberts and believe it or not Jock has kept Firefall alive and they still do gigs both locally and nationally. I've done some gigs with Jock and he is very underrated guitarist. One of the best melodic soloists and fill players I've ever heard. If you get a chance listen to his playing here on "Mexico". That one even impressed the hell out of Clapton who was recording in the same studio that day. He designed and painted several of the Firefall album covers as well.

Back around 2000 I played in a band with one of the other guys in Firefall. Two of the other guitarists had their own bands running when Firefall wasn't touring around. It was a fun time to be around those guys and do some jamming and casual gigs. But those days are long gone now. Thank God for the blues. That's where old guys like me go to die. :wheelchair:

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:50 am If we're going to talk great guitarists, David Gilmour has to be part of the discussion.

Then I've posted this elsewhere here, but this is the greatest live musical recording I've ever seen.

No argument from me. Gilmour was the absolute king of melodic stick in your head for days solos.
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:50 am If we're going to talk great guitarists, David Gilmour has to be part of the discussion.

Of course not. Master of really f'n moody solos. Spend a half hour listening to Gilmour and that era of Pink Floyd and I become comfortably numb as well.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:59 am There are just so many great guitarist out there from that 60's-'70s era and then Van Halen launched another group of copy cat types in the '80s. But I still believe the mid '60s to the early '80s was the golden age of guitar based rock and blues.

Tommy Bolin was a major talent. Zephyr was based here in Boulder and in their hey day they were hot. I think David and Cindy Givens may still live around Boulder and eventually formed a very popular local band called the 4-Nikators.. Interestingly enough when Tommy left Zephyr he was replaced my a good friend of mine, Jock Bartley. That was no easy task for certain. Tommy was so damn versatile and a monster player and another guy gone way too soon.

After Zephyr Jock toured with Gram Parsons then started Firefall along with Rick Roberts and believe it or not Jock has kept Firefall alive and they still do gigs both locally and nationally. I've done some gigs with Jock and he is very underrated guitarist. One of the best melodic soloists and fill players I've ever heard. If you get a chance listen to his playing here on "Mexico". That one even impressed the hell out of Clapton who was recording in the same studio that day. He designed and painted several of the Firefall album covers as well.

Back around 2000 I played in a band with one of the other guys in Firefall. Two of the other guitarists had their own bands running when Firefall wasn't touring around. It was a fun time to be around those guys and do some jamming and casual gigs. But those days are long gone now. Thank God for the blues. That's where old guys like me go to die. :wheelchair:

Cindy Givens is/was a huge talent. She could really belt it like Janis. Didn't follow Zephyr after Tommy left. Never heard of Jack Bartley, but I really liked that clip. Side note: I did my undergrad at CU. My cousin used to own the old Blue Note. Had a lot of good bands go through there. Used to pay Roseanne Barr $50 a night to do some fill in. lol Had to sell it when the club got sued because some asshole got drunk (the Blue Note being one of many bars he stopped at) and drove and killed some coeds. Shame all the way around.

David Gilmour should absolutely be on the list.
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:33 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:59 am There are just so many great guitarist out there from that 60's-'70s era and then Van Halen launched another group of copy cat types in the '80s. But I still believe the mid '60s to the early '80s was the golden age of guitar based rock and blues.

Cindy Givens is/was a huge talent. She could really belt it like Janis. Didn't follow Zephyr after Tommy left. Never heard of Jack Bartley, but I really liked that clip. Side note: I did my undergrad at CU. My cousin used to own the old Blue Note. Had a lot of good bands go through there. Used to pay Roseanne Barr $50 a night to do some fill in. lol Had to sell it when the club got sued because some asshole got drunk (the Blue Note being one of many bars he stopped at) and drove and killed some coeds. Shame all the way around.

David Gilmour should absolutely be on the list.
For a short while back in the '70s Boulder was like the center of the musical universe because Caribou Ranch Studio was just up the canyon from there outside of Nederland. If you were doing your undergrad work then you were in the center of it too.

Had some friends who lived near Longmont that I would come out to visit so I remember the Blue Note somewhat. Also the Iron Horse, The Walrus, and the FAC on Fridays at The Harvest House. It was a Friday afternoon partying there that made me decide to move to Colorado. That and the shitty Midwestern weather in the winters.
Heinz D.
MVP

Oh, Gilmour is super special. Beyond a doubt.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Thing about Gilmour is I can play a lot of his stuff, but can’t get it to sound like he does. Mine is always too choppy no matter how hard I work at it. That dude hands are just different.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 am Thing about Gilmour is I can play a lot of his stuff, but can’t get it to sound like he does. Mine is always too choppy no matter how hard I work at it. That dude hands are just different.
His style is very fluid but it's also in some of the effects he uses that add that creamy sustain he gets.

I have a super high gain OD pedal that can get close if I add enough compression and turn down my guitar volume but like you my technique just isn't good enough to pull it off. Plus living in a multi-family building seldom allows me to get the amp cooking at a volume I need to do it.

So I guess I'll stick with playing blues like most old guys do. LOL
dplank
Hall of Famer

Headphones man!! Crucial addition for me, allows me to play with louder tones and stay married 😂
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:36 am Headphones man!! Crucial addition for me, allows me to play with louder tones and stay married 😂
Oh but God how I hate playing that way. Truthfully I don't. Every once in a while during the summer when I can open up the windows and people are often gone I'll crank it up and have some fun but otherwise I remain pretty restrained. I like my neighbors and I want them to like me as well. Other than that I do have the advantage of being single so no spouse to keep happy any longer.

Even when I've been recording in the past I always preferred to listen to myself through my amp and not headphones. Vocals yeah, but instrumentally no. But.....sometimes ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do.