Quinn wants out?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

malagabears
Journeyman

I kicked around a trade in a throw sh** at the wall mock I did & came up with a 2nd prior to Mack trade. I doubt he goes anywhere but would you do it & at what cost?

Bearfacts
MVP

Wish we had a shrug emoji.

I really have no idea right now what Poles could expect to get for Quinn in trade or if he's already made attempts to move him prior to the draft. If so whatever offers he did receive obviously weren't enough to get a deal done in a draft where Poles was especially motivated to add more picks. Right now I don't know exactly what his motivation would even be to trade him unless it was for a player he'd like to have, a combination of player and pick, or a high enough 2023 pick to make it attractive enough to do the deal.

As for his remaining with the Bears.

He's under contract through 2024 with reasonable salaries ($13 mil apy) but due to his remaining unamortized SB and his restructure his average annual cap hits are a little over $17 mil. Is it worth keeping him at that price for another year or more both for his production and as a mentor to a younger guy like Dominique Robinson? There has to be some value assigned to that as well. Or is he at his peak now as far as trade value goes? But if that's true and Poles shopped him the offers must not have been too great.

Why would Quinn want to be traded?

I suppose he might prefer to not be part of a rebuild but does he really believe another team would offer him a deal that exceeds what his current contract calls for? He's pretty much in parity with DE ranked 11-15. The group ranked 6-10 are in the $15-$17 mil apy range but Quinn is also 32 years old with 156 games worth of wear and tear on his body. I have no problem keeping him at his current salary but I don't know how anxious another team would be to trade for him AND hand him a bigger contract if that's his goal.

Is this just another "dead time" rumor we'll keep hearing?

While OTA activity gives the media something to talk about it's kind of lacking in substantial information until the pads come on during camp and preseason games begin. Since Quinn may be the Bears only tradable commodity is this just another click bait rumor someone made up a story about to tell? I wouldn't doubt that either especially since we haven't really heard anything about it 'til now from Quinn or anyone else. I don't know that I'd even call it "smoke" yet and without smoke I don't see a fire either.
rtd
Practice Squad

IMO the way Poles would trade him would be inseason late to a team chasing a ring, similar to Von Miller trade last year. I believe he didn't persue it during the draft was the dead money involved. But now that June 1 is nearly here and the dead money drops to around 2 Mil , who knows? Maybe Poles pulls the trigger...
Bearfacts
MVP

Much like I thought it's another Jason LaCanfora started rumor based on what? His belief that Quinn should want out? When no one is paying enough attention to him you can almost always count on this guy to pull something out of nowhere to make some noise.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... oc=right_h

On that point, CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora reports that “Quinn wants out of Chicago.” The 32-year-old earned his third Pro Bowl nod with 18.5 sacks last season, a major increase from his previous year in the Windy City. Chicago’s front seven has seen a number of departures, though, including fellow pass-rusher Khalil Mack being traded to the Chargers.

Publicly, the Bears have maintained that they are not shopping Quinn, something La Canfora confirms is still the case now.
Overall, he describes this situation as one that “will only fester” if the team performs at a similar level to last season, which could lead to Quinn being a prime candidate at the trade deadline. In that situation, remarks Quinn made in the spring could ring true.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I can see why, but it's too late now.

IIRC, I supported trading him pre-draft for a 2nd and I think a 4th. I can't recall.

But now I don't know if I'd do that deal for next year's draft because we need the people.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

rtd wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:09 am IMO the way Poles would trade him would be inseason late to a team chasing a ring, similar to Von Miller trade last year. I believe he didn't persue it during the draft was the dead money involved. But now that June 1 is nearly here and the dead money drops to around 2 Mil , who knows? Maybe Poles pulls the trigger...
Why would we do that when we'll be "chasing a ring" ourselves? :D

Why does anybody listen to Canfora? Ever? The guy is nothing but a shit stirrer and he hates the Bears.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 amWhy would Quinn want to be traded?
I have no idea. There is always the whole "chasing a ring" deal we hear about, but it's pretty unlikely the Bears could whip up a trade that quickly sends him to a contender at this point.

You gotta also consider that Quinn has publicly stated that he wants to remain a Bear, and that Poles has publicly stated that he doesn't want to trade him. (And keep in mind that Poles has publicly embraced exactly four guys left over from the Pace era--Fields, Mooney, Montgomery and Quinn.)

Quinn's in a great spot, with a good salary. The team could compete for a playoff spot this year, and it's possible that they could actually be a contender next year. A lot of that depends on Eberflus, of course...but you could say that about many other situations in the league.
Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 amIs this just another "dead time" rumor we'll keep hearing?
Probably. Biggs floated it before the draft too, but as far as I could tell it was just clickbaity stuff. No possible destinations were really mentioned (nothing sourced anyway, IIRC), it was pretty much spitballing.

If I'm Poles, there's no way in hell I'd trade Quinn, but we'll see what happens.
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:21 am Why would we do that when we'll be "chasing a ring" ourselves? :D

Why does anybody listen to Canfora? Ever? The guy is nothing but a shit stirrer and he hates the Bears.
Exactly.

And yeah, Laconfora tends to be sort of a shitstain on the sports media industry...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

If the deal is right he’ll be traded, but it has to benefit the bears.

Like Yogi implies, we don’t need to trade Quinn, we’re not that team anymore - with no picks and no cap space.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:53 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 amWhy would Quinn want to be traded?
I have no idea. There is always the whole "chasing a ring" deal we hear about, but it's pretty unlikely the Bears could whip up a trade that quickly sends him to a contender at this point.

You gotta also consider that Quinn has publicly stated that he wants to remain a Bear, and that Poles has publicly stated that he doesn't want to trade him. (And keep in mind that Poles has publicly embraced exactly four guys left over from the Pace era--Fields, Mooney, Montgomery and Quinn.)

Quinn's in a great spot, with a good salary. The team could compete for a playoff spot this year, and it's possible that they could actually be a contender next year. A lot of that depends on Eberflus, of course...but you could say that about many other situations in the league.
Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:18 amIs this just another "dead time" rumor we'll keep hearing?
Probably. Biggs floated it before the draft too, but as far as I could tell it was just clickbaity stuff. No possible destinations were really mentioned (nothing sourced anyway, IIRC), it was pretty much spitballing.

If I'm Poles, there's no way in hell I'd trade Quinn, but we'll see what happens.
Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:21 am Why would we do that when we'll be "chasing a ring" ourselves? :D

Exactly.

And yeah, Laconfora tends to be sort of a shitstain on the sports media industry...

Yup, and to date nothing about that seems to have changed other than someone starting rumors. IIRC LaCanfora was also the guy who started the Cutler being traded to the Titans way back when. He's a major league rumor monger.
Bearfacts
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:55 am If the deal is right he’ll be traded, but it has to benefit the bears.

Like Yogi implies, we don’t need to trade Quinn, we’re not that team anymore - with no picks and no cap space.
Yup. With Mack it was pretty much a buyer market due to his contract and also a desire to send him someplace he wanted to go.

With Quinn it has to be a sellers market to make it worthwhile. I would not trade him with his very reasonable deal for a Day 3 pick.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:08 am Yup, and to date nothing about that seems to have changed other than someone starting rumors. IIRC LaCanfora was also the guy who started the Cutler being traded to the Titans way back when. He's a major league rumor monger.
Yeah, he tends to "break" news that no one else does...and it often turns out to wrong.

I don't know if his middle name is Clickbait, or if he has terrible sources, or what. Maybe a bunch of league folks like to prank the dude?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Slow time of year, any rumor to get an article. If the Bears compete this year, of course fans would be ecstatic but we're realistic and most think '22 will be uphill at best. If a DE on a team thought to be in Super Bowl gets injured during training camp or during the season before the trading deadline, that would be the time to extract as many picks as possible for Quinn.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Bearfacts
MVP

This entire article shows just how little substance there is to LaCanfora's rumor about Quinn wanting out. He doesn't. In fact it's just the opposite and he states that himself more than once. Poles also states how well Quinn fits what they want to do defensively.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... oc=right_h

I'm not even gonna bother to pull quotes from it. Just read it from start to finish and know just how much BS LaCanfora was peddling as usual. He's far less a sportswriter and far more like the nosy old biddy down the street saying "Have you heard about......".
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I feel Quinn is a sort of ‘veteran mentor’ on the team as we have a lot of rookies or 2nd year players.

I feel Al-Quaidin Muhammad is the veteran who best knows the scheme for the defense.
I feel Lucas Patrick is the veteran who knows offensive schemes best.

These 3 are important leaders in my view.

Obviously Fields, Monty & Roquan are key leaders too.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

If you were Quinn who might have only a year or two left, why would you want to be part of a rebuild?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Heinz D.
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:42 am I feel Al-Quaidin Muhammad is the veteran who best knows the scheme for the defense.
Well, that's true, for sure, but didn't Quinn play in a similar scheme at one point? I'm thinking he did, but haven't bothered to look that up.
Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:24 am If you were Quinn who might have only a year or two left, why would you want to be part of a rebuild?
Maybe he thinks the Bears will be contenders soon? I don't know. Maybe he just likes Chicago?

Either way, I think he'd be spinning things differently if he really wanted to be traded...
Xee
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:24 am If you were Quinn who might have only a year or two left, why would you want to be part of a rebuild?
He just bought a house in Lake Forest so maybe he just doesn't want to move again, especially if the money is good.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/real-est ... story.html

Not every player wants to chase a ring at the end of their careers.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

You guys are dreaming.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Heinz D.
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:14 pm You guys are dreaming.
How so?

That Quinn stated he wanted to remain a Bear? That Poles said he didn't want to trade him?

I don't understand...
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

If Quinn was going to get traded it would've been sooner than now. And once the season starts all of his value drops significantly barring him having another break out year. This off season was the most value Poles could have gotten for him so if he didn't do it then he won't gain that much trading him now.
Heinz D.
MVP

Kylo Bearen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 pm If Quinn was going to get traded it would've been sooner than now. And once the season starts all of his value drops significantly barring him having another break out year. This off season was the most value Poles could have gotten for him so if he didn't do it then he won't gain that much trading him now.
Yup.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Kylo Bearen wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:30 pm If Quinn was going to get traded it would've been sooner than now. And once the season starts all of his value drops significantly barring him having another break out year. This off season was the most value Poles could have gotten for him so if he didn't do it then he won't gain that much trading him now.
Until a playoff team loses a key pass rusher due to injury. Then the value of Quinn suddenly improves to a team like that.

Heinz D.
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:09 pmUntil a playoff team loses a key pass rusher due to injury. Then the value of Quinn suddenly improves to a team like that.
Yeah...there's certainly a chance that some team gets desperate and floats the Bears a helluva deal, because one of their own has been injured.

But that's pretty far removed from the, "Y'all are dreaming" crap you were floating before.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:45 pm
Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:14 pm You guys are dreaming.
How so?

That Quinn stated he wanted to remain a Bear? That Poles said he didn't want to trade him?

I don't understand...
First of all, talk is cheap. Players say a lot of things and are incentivized to promote "the company line". Of course Poles doesn't want to trade Quinn--if the price isn't right. Anybody who thinks "not wanting to move again" is a higher priority to an NFL player in his 30's than being on a team with a realistic chance to get to the Super Bowl is smoking something.

Heinz D.
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:18 pm First of all, talk is cheap. Players say a lot of things and are incentivized to promote "the company line". Of course Poles doesn't want to trade Quinn--if the price isn't right. Anybody who thinks "not wanting to move again" is a higher priority to an NFL player in his 30's than being on a team with a realistic chance to get to the Super Bowl is smoking something.
Which doesn't mesh with what you've posted before.

Do you make a habit of this?

If so, I'd recommend restraint, on your part.

Certainly, if a team swoops in and offers a first round pick for Quinn, Poles will have to give that great consideration.

But I don't think most of us (besides me) were disputing that. :thumbsup:
dplank
Hall of Famer

Mack went for a second. Von Miller for 2 2nd's. No one is offering a 1st for Quinn. A 3rd/4th is most likely, and I'd pass.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:43 pm Mack went for a second. Von Miller for 2 2nd's. No one is offering a 1st for Quinn. A 3rd/4th is most likely, and I'd pass.
There you go. Sounds about right.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Things do change, though. With Mack, we were talking about a 2022 draft pick coming up in in a few weeks. Today, we're talking about 2023 picks down the road. A R2 pick from a playoff team who just lost a key player is very doable. Or trade a pick for their later R1 pick to make it happen. These things happen because they are a win for all parties. It's hard for me to see how having Robert Quinn, who takes PT away from younger developing players is a big benefit to us.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:03 pm Things do change, though. With Mack, we were talking about a 2022 draft pick coming up in in a few weeks. Today, we're talking about 2023 picks down the road. A R2 pick from a playoff team who just lost a key player is very doable. Or trade a pick for their later R1 pick to make it happen. These things happen because they are a win for all parties. It's hard for me to see how having Robert Quinn, who takes PT away from younger developing players is a big benefit to us.
Yea I agree with you on that, I just don’t think we will get that much for him. Maybe in season like you said to a team going for a ring. If we could pull a 2nd I’d jump at it. Maybe a third? 4th or below I’ll pass
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:13 pm
Mikefive wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:09 pmUntil a playoff team loses a key pass rusher due to injury. Then the value of Quinn suddenly improves to a team like that.
Yeah...there's certainly a chance that some team gets desperate and floats the Bears a helluva deal, because one of their own has been injured.

But that's pretty far removed from the, "Y'all are dreaming" crap you were floating before.
:toast: Yup. It's pretty hard to covert Quinn; "I would like to remain with the Bears" and Poles; "We like Robert Quinn and have no plans to trade him" into a LaCanfora; "Quinn wants out" situation.

When it comes to player trades nothing is ever etched in stone and we all know that including Quinn but the statements from both Quinn and Poles belie Quinn leaving anytime soon.

If what Mike assumes may happen does happen I'm sure Poles will listen to any reasonable offer but no one should be making that assumption that it will actually happen or that if it does Poles will trade him.

Even if his sacks are halved he still provides pressures, hits, and TFL and at $13 mil apy he's not that costly for a top DE/Edge Rusher when compared to what others are getting so he may finish his career as a Bear.