ESPN Makes It Official.....We Suck.....LOL

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bearfacts
MVP

ESPN has proudly awarded the Bears last place in it's 2022 power ratings. Is it too early for us to do a mock draft on who we'll take with the #1 overall pick......or since we don't need a QB should we trade for a bundle of picks. Hmmm.....that's not a bad idea. LOL

Alyssa Barbieri
Fri, May 20, 2022, 7:47 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bears-wors ... 26822.html

While there’s not a lot of confidence in the Chicago Bears heading into the 2022 season, they have a favorable schedule that should at least save them from being the worst team in the league, right? Apparently not.

According to ESPN’s Football Power Index rankings, the Bears are the worst team in the NFL heading into 2022. When breaking things down, Chicago’s offense ranks 31st — better than only the Atlanta Falcons — while the defense is 30th in the league.

The Bears have a 14% chance to land the No. 1 overall pick, according to ESPN’s FPI rankings. That’s tied for the highest odds with the New York Jets with the Houston Texans (11%), Jacksonville Jaguars (9%) and Falcons (9%) behind them.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Note for ESPN predictors - the feeling is mutual :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bearfacts
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:57 am Note for ESPN predictors - the feeling is mutual :thumbsup:
:toast: We can always count on ESPN to give the Bears the worst rankings they can somehow justify in their own minds.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If you read the depth charts, I get it. Talent wise this APPEARS to be where we are. BUT - no one knows how our current talent will perform in a system better suited for their skills. These projections are all based on the numbers they achieved under McNagy or their prior team.

I’ve been defending the national media but I’ll eat my hat if we are the worst team in football next year - no friggin way. Low end I see 5 winds, high end 10 and a playoff berth if everything comes together.

That said, the whole “ESPN hates the Bears” take is nonsense.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:51 am If you read the depth charts, I get it. Talent wise this APPEARS to be where we are. BUT - no one knows how our current talent will perform in a system better suited for their skills. These projections are all based on the numbers they achieved under McNagy or their prior team.

I’ve been defending the national media but I’ll eat my hat if we are the worst team in football next year - no friggin way. Low end I see 5 winds, high end 10 and a playoff berth if everything comes together.

Exactly. I get how on paper it may look much worse than it is which is why all of these preseason rankings mean nothing to me. I see it about like you do with maybe 5 wins on low side if things don't go well and maybe as many as 9 wins on the high side if we catch some breaks and Fields ascends as expected.

Based on over/under the sports books have us at 6.5 which ranks 25th. I'll rely on that far more than ESPN anti-Bear prejudice.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

ESPN sucks. Some of the worst announcers I've ever heard are on there. Chris Berman is the worst thing that's ever happened to sports.

A network dedicated to the Buffalo Wild WIngs / Blue Moon crowd. I'm really impressed.

We were a .500 team the past two years under McNagy while being reliant solely upon defenses championed by Chuck Pagano and Desai.

All we need is an offense and we're a 10 win team.

That's why I'm saying 12 wins. Fields makes the next step forward. The defense lost some dead weight. We're going to do this.

F-ESPN.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Nowhere to go but up.
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:45 am :toast: We can always count on ESPN to give the Bears the worst rankings they can somehow justify in their own minds.
Ehh...I think you're letting Orlovsky skew your opinion of the whole network. That being said, it is kind of lazy on ESPN's part. Just buying into this narrative that's being spun.
dplank wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:51 am If you read the depth charts, I get it. Talent wise this APPEARS to be where we are. BUT - no one knows how our current talent will perform in a system better suited for their skills. These projections are all based on the numbers they achieved under McNagy or their prior team.

^Pretty much this.

A lot of my disagreement with the ranking comes from projection, sure, but my projection is based just as much from me closely following the team as it does me being a fan. Let's look at Trevis Gipson, for example. This kid was pretty damn solid last year. With another training camp, an increased role in the defense, and a return to his more natural position as a 4-3 DE--it's entirely possible that Gipson could be in the discussion as a fringe Pro Bowl kind of guy.

I doubt Alyssa Barbieri even realizes that.

There's also a few teams, just off the top of my head, that I would NOT want to swap rosters with...and that's just looking at things on paper, in the pre-season.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:10 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:45 am :toast: We can always count on ESPN to give the Bears the worst rankings they can somehow justify in their own minds.
Ehh...I think you're letting Orlovsky skew your opinion of the whole network. That being said, it is kind of lazy on ESPN's part. Just buying into this narrative that's being spun.
I dunno Heinz. ESPN has always been anti-Bears for as long as I can recall. To be honest there are very few network media type that I have much respect for. They each have their stories to sell and that's all it is. A selling job.

I get more out of a collection of no name guys on various sites that have decent info and insight that I can draw my own opinions from. The ESPN crew reminds me too much of Faux News propagandists who tell their listeners never think for yourself. We're here to do that for you.
dplank
Hall of Famer

JMO but I think the negative coverage on the Bears correlated with the poor franchise results we’ve seen for 3+ decades now. Basically we suck, therefore we get negative coverage.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:59 am JMO but I think the negative coverage on the Bears correlated with the poor franchise results we’ve seen for 3+ decades now. Basically we suck, therefore we get negative coverage.
Pretty much this.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:59 am JMO but I think the negative coverage on the Bears correlated with the poor franchise results we’ve seen for 3+ decades now. Basically we suck, therefore we get negative coverage.
Yeah, it's like the national media has just gotten used to the fact that under McCaskey ownership the Bears have mostly sucked.

While I can understand why ol' man Halas left the team to his daughter what I have never understood is why he didn't also assure that someone besides a McCaskey would be in charge of running it. Finks had left over the Ditka hire but Jerry Vainisi was still there until Mikey got rid of him so that he could play at being a GM himself and that's when the slide began.

Halas used to tell other that Ed McCaskey was the dumbest SOB he'd ever met and it's obvious the apples didn't fall far from the tree.

Michael was both stupid and arrogant and George is well....George. Not exactly the greatest football mind on the planet. What the family needed to do is follow Jim Finks advice and simply "own" letting someone else actually run the team and I don't mean Ted Phillips. In the '90s they finally stopped being so God damn cheap but they never stopped being God damn stupid and inept.
Heinz D.
MVP

That's part of it--but only one part. When the Andy Reid disciple came to Chicago and Khalil Mack carried the team to 12-4, the national media was all about the Bears--even though there was still a lot of widespread doubt about Mitch.

I think that whoever pointed out it had a lot to do with the draft (can't remember who that was, sorry), and how much emphasis the media places upon it, and all the multitudes of mocks that bombard the sports infotainment sphere, was spot on. Poles didn't do what they expected (or wanted?) him to do, so that automatically signals BAD in their eyes. I used a mock draft simulator for fun, ran many a fake mock draft. A LOT of those runs included CB, S, and WR as our first three picks. Which means that Poles knew the team he was taking over a lot better than the national media did.

An example--just because Tevin Jenkins had back surgery, missed training camp then most of the season, doesn't mean he's a bust, or doesn't exist. It's entirely possible that the surgery cleaned up the lingering back problems he suffered in college. It's also possible that Jenkins doesn't have a lot of injury issues from here on out, and goes on to become a good football player. But because of what happened last year, the football media has decided Jenkins doesn't exist. It's a very shallow take.
IE
Hall of Famer

I sort of love this. I sort of love the purity of being picked to be dead last. The worst.

I don't agree with it but this prediction don't cost nothing and brings loads of motivation to a group that was already brought together because they have a chip on their shoulder. This is one big additional chip.

Hungry and disciplined and athletic and fast is a great mix of characteristics for a football team. Flus gets to use this for 3 months to his benefit.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Heinz D.
MVP

IE wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:58 pm I sort of love this. I sort of love the purity of being picked to be dead last. The worst.

I don't agree with it but this prediction don't cost nothing and brings loads of motivation to a group that was already brought together because they have a chip on their shoulder. This is one big additional chip.
You're right. On balance, it's a beautiful thing.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok I’m down on this offense but cmon. The Falcons are going to be awful. The Seahawks lost their best players and plan to start Drew Lock. The Jets and the Texans are the Jets and the Texans. There’s no way the Bears end up drafting first
xyt in the discord chats
Heinz D.
MVP

crueltyabc wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:10 pm Ok I’m down on this offense but cmon. The Falcons are going to be awful. The Seahawks lost their best players and plan to start Drew Lock. The Jets and the Texans are the Jets and the Texans. There’s no way the Bears end up drafting first
Nope.

None. Anyone (in the know) could easily make an argument they won't even be drafting 15th...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:58 pm I sort of love this. I sort of love the purity of being picked to be dead last. The worst.

Hungry and disciplined and athletic and fast is a great mix of characteristics for a football team. Flus gets to use this for 3 months to his benefit.
100% agree.

Anybody with any sense of pride about themselves and their work would be offended as fuck by that.

But I am telling you, I feel a Major League vibe from this team. We are not as bad as we are being made out to be.

dplank
Hall of Famer

It would be for the best if we did tho….Fields needs his Chase, Chase type talents go in the Top 10 picks, often Top 3.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I think we’re going to have a ‘scary’ defense.
Lots of talent in the defense lots of attitude.

The offense is more difficult to quantify. We don’t know a lot about Getsy, we don’t know how Jenkins and Borom will perform with an injury free pre-season. We don’t know about the rookies on the OL. We don’t know a lot about Velus Jones - could go either way. We don’t know how Fields will perform with his technique adaptations.

But I don’t think the offense is worse than last season. I think it has to be better. I’m excited about Lucas Patrick. I’m excited about Getsy’s potential. I’m excited about moving on from Nagy to Flus.

Under rate the Bears at your peril.

I can easily see us going 6-0 after we stuff the Packers in week 2 the momentum will be strong.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

And the '85 team, I believe, lost all 4 preseason games. Both situations have absolutely no meaning until the ball is actually snapped in the real season.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:28 am

100% agree.

Anybody with any sense of pride about themselves and their work would be offended as fuck by that.

But I am telling you, I feel a Major League vibe from this team. We are not as bad as we are being made out to be.

There it is. Right there. :thumbsup:

A new item being sold at home games this season will be the ESPN Shit Burger. What's it made outta? Who gives a shit as long as Dan Orlovsky takes the first bite. :hungry:

Even if we do end up with a top five pick it may be one of the better things that could happen overall. We get a shot at a top ranked player to fill a spot that needs an immediate impact starter and also pick near the top in every round. Lots of chances to trade back for more picks as Poles seems to like and along with who we can add from FA along with who we keep we make a quantum leap.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Sure.

One thing we as biased Bears fans tend not to look at is how OTHER teams got better. We're better, basically because we got a different coaching staff (doing things the guys at the top have never done before) and we hope that our very young QB will improve. Several other teams with failed coaches can say that AND added a high R1 pick and made significant move(s) in FA, which we didn't or couldn't do. Even other teams that weren't so bad added R1 talent and consequential FAs. We have a significant hill to climb in 2022.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:05 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:28 am

100% agree.

There it is. Right there. :thumbsup:

A new item being sold at home games this season will be the ESPN Shit Burger. What's it made outta? Who gives a shit as long as Dan Orlovsky takes the first bite. :hungry:

Even if we do end up with a top five pick it may be one of the better things that could happen overall. We get a shot at a top ranked player to fill a spot that needs an immediate impact starter and also pick near the top in every round. Lots of chances to trade back for more picks as Poles seems to like and along with who we can add from FA along with who we keep we make a quantum leap.
I will pound the table on this until the record says I'm wrong, but I believe it.

The last two years we were .500 under McNagy.

Yes we lost Mack and Hicks. But they didn't play much as it is.

Our QB was not good. Dalton sucked. Fields was a rookie. He played better than his numbers indicated. Other threads have analysis about his INTs where all but 4 were the result of tipped balls. He's not Cutler trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

We were also dealing with the McNagy String Theory Offense that takes 3 years to learn.

A .500 team with no offense.

What's our record if the offense shows up this year? What if Fields makes the next step which is highly likely?

We're going to win 12 games and then head into next offseason with a shit ton of cap room to go shopping.

Now let's say we shit the bed and go 3-14. We don't need to draft a QB unless Fields is a total disaster. For the #3 overall pick in a draft where 3 or 4 QBs are already slated to go in the top 10 you can take somebody to the bank. 3 firsts plus other picks.

That's how you build a football team.
IE
Hall of Famer

That's right, TMP. Poles is a strategist.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:28 am It would be for the best if we did tho….Fields needs his Chase, Chase type talents go in the Top 10 picks, often Top 3.
So every thorn has it's rose too eh?

Maybe this is why I'm so laid back about 2022 and my expectations aren't that great. A really poor season that results in a top pick that either gets us one impact player we can start somewhere or multiple draft picks via trade downs that Poles might use to upgrade multiple positions isn't the end of the world and it may actually bring and end to the rebuild even faster.

It's not what I believe will happen but if it did how would it be much worse than other years we've experienced over the last decade?
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

If we were fans of another team in the NFC north, we'd look at the Bears much like folks looked at the 2021 Detroit Lions. The defense has a chance to have a good secondary. Outside of Robert Quinn, the d-line doesn't truly have a contributor that's going to concern an opponent. The current roster has one legit NFL LB. Effort, coaching and guile will have to carry the day there.

The offense, on paper, may be the worst in the NFL. The RB room is solid - and that's the only room that can stack up, arguably, to other teams. Fields is the wildcard - if he takes a badly needed step, he becomes a plus. Mooney is a plus - how much better can he get? Pringle is a decent player. Jones is interesting. The rest are just guys. The oline has one proven NFL starter and an emerging player being slotted in at OC. Jenkins SHOULD be ok at RT. Borom is an unproven former 5th round pick being asked to man the all-important LT spot. The RG spot may be manned by a 6th round rookie. The TE room is, arguably, mediocre. Kmet is ok. The rest are journeymen.

All that said, it's possible that this team overachieves - Eberflus was an excellent, HIGHLY respected DC and coach in Indianapolis. This team figures to be ready to play every week. IF Fields emerges, I can see 7 wins...maybe 8. If he doesn't emerge? I can see 1--4 wins and Bryce Young being fitted for a Bears jersey.
UOK
Site Admin

If the Bears get a top 3 pick in the 2023 draft, next year's class should be very enticing to either take a franchise-changing talent, or trade down to further enrich a young team that's trending upwards.

I don't see pieces like this, meaningless though they are, as hurtful or insulting. The Bears are in a weird state, as close as you can get to a rebuild by NFL standards, but if Eberflus is a legit coach and Poles' picks can carry their water, 2023 could be one of those years where the team wins the division and surprises a lot of the league by simply being a major, frustrating pain in the ass to play against.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:56 am And the '85 team, I believe, lost all 4 preseason games. Both situations have absolutely no meaning until the ball is actually snapped in the real season.
It went a *little* bit further than that. They were down 21-7 in the first half of the first game to the Bucs and the ageless Steve DeBerg, until the staged a comeback & then the rest is history.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:49 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:56 am And the '85 team, I believe, lost all 4 preseason games. Both situations have absolutely no meaning until the ball is actually snapped in the real season.
It went a *little* bit further than that. They were down 21-7 in the first half of the first game to the Bucs and the ageless Steve DeBerg, until the staged a comeback & then the rest is history.
And they went down big time against the Vikes on Thursday night football when McMahon was on the sidelines with an injury until he nagged Ditka into putting him in and they roared back.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.