First Albums You Bought

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Mine were Tommy by the Who, then Atom Heart Mother and Meddle by Pink Floyd. Had purchased a Panasonic all-in-one stereo: am/fm, phonograph, 8-track player, I thought I was in heaven. It also had an 8-track recorder so I could put my favorite albums on tape for playing in the ol' 65 Chevy Belair for cruising when gas was 30 to 35 cents per gallon. Into the city, sometimes up north along Sheridan Drive.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Xee
Site Admin

Rode my bike to a local music shop called Rose Records which has long since gone out of business and excitedly bought To the Extreme by Vanilla Ice.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

First cassette I ever bought with my own money was KISS Alive II (much to my mother's chagrin).
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:24 pm First cassette I ever bought with my own money was KISS Alive II (much to my mother's chagrin).
Was my first record! My grandmother took it from me, she didn't like the bloody Gene Simmons picture on the front. Mom put it away in a suitcase and I still have it to this day.
wab
Mod

the first cassette I ever bought was probably 1988 and it was "Knee Deep in the Hoopla" by Starship. The first CD I bought was "Music for the People" by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The first couple that I can remember are the Metallica Black album and Stone Temple Pilots: Core.

I wore out the STP: Core tape. Bought the CD and then proceeded to wear that out somehow.

Then music turned into a bit of a drug for me. I have no clue how many albums I have since bought. Whether they be tapes, CDs, or iTunes. I'm supremely confident I've spent at least $2K on my iTunes collection. That's a low number.

The mix tapes I made back then numbered into the dozens. Hours upon hours upon hours listening to 103.5 The Blaze, then later Q101.1 when it was a rock station, making tape after tape after tape. You wanted an obscure song like Slipping Into Darkness by Saints & Sinners? I had that on a mix tape. A song they only played on Rebel Radio at 11pm? No problem. I had it.

Then for @dplank . I have a similar story about my mother.

My uncle (her younger brother) bought me a toy ray gun for my First Communion. She hated toy guns so this toy eventually went "missing".

Later in life I found that ray gun online and bought it for like $30.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Tom Petty Wildflowers was the first (CD) I ever bought with my own money. Used to wear out my parents Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, etc but Petty was the first I bought.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:06 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:24 pm First cassette I ever bought with my own money was KISS Alive II (much to my mother's chagrin).
Was my first record! My grandmother took it from me, she didn't like the bloody Gene Simmons picture on the front. Mom put it away in a suitcase and I still have it to this day.
I have an absolute mint first edition copy of Kiss Alive II - complete with the poster & all. Pretty much un-touched, as I bought it for my sister for her birthday but by that time she had moved on in taste and never listened to it. I listen to vinyl a lot but haven't listened to that one. I have a mint Rock N Roll Over as well.

As for my first albums it was Osmonds and Jackson 5 with my sister, and got those when I was 8-10. We bought a lot of singles but really didn't start buying albums then until maybe 7th grade and that would have been 1975 - Night at the Opera, Toys in the Attic, Hair of the Dog and I think Eagles Greatest Hits. Still have them all.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I do remember buying Paul Revere and the Raiders and other bands of that time on 45s before I got into albums. I have a couple of buddies who listen to nothing but vinyl. One looks for and buys unopened/unplayed albums he wants; bit of a technophile, easily spent north of $30 to $40K on his stereo equipment.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Metallica - justice for all.
Z Bear
MVP

It seems a lot of us are near the same age....first album I bought was Kiss Double Platnum. My dad was a DJ in the late 60's-early 70's in college and he had 1,000s of records and 8-tracks from that time. One of my favorites was the Black Sabbath Paranoid 8 track, I loved the Road Warriors just because they came out to Iron Man.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:40 am Metallica - justice for all.
Now THAT'S an album.

I once worked for a month one summer as a kid to buy the Live Shit: Pinge & Burge VHS and CD boxed set.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms on vinyl.

I didn't wind up buying many vinyl albums because CD started to takeover around that time (Brothers in Arms being the first CD to sell a million copies). I did pick up a couple of other Dire Straits vinyl albums second hand (Love Over Gold and Alchemy Live) and Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby. After that it was all CDs.
UOK
Site Admin

First album I ever bought with my own money was "Dookie" by Green Day. Bought the cassette off of a neighbor college kid for a dime.

Metallica's "Load" and Red Hot Chili Peppers' "One Hot Minute" were the other two.
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:35 am First album I ever bought with my own money was "Dookie" by Green Day. Bought the cassette off of a neighbor college kid for a dime.

Metallica's "Load" and Red Hot Chili Peppers' "One Hot Minute" were the other two.
Dookie and Smash by The Offspring are the albums that immediately come to mind when I think about my junior high years.

I'm really curious what albums are going to be cemented in the minds of current 13-14 year-olds. I have no clue what's popular now.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Probably something by Ed Sheeran Xee, possibly the blandest musician in our lifetimes.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I was a mix tape ninja. I had so much music on tapes I copied from friends that I never bought my own music until those CD clubs started. Then I opened 3 accounts for home, college and my grampa's house at least 2-3 times for introductory deals and went from ~80-90 tapes to ~150 CD's in less than a year. Most of them I still have and use my old CD player to listen too

I do remember having Hank Jr., Merle, Johnny Cash, CCR and Metallica Black in that first round of CD's.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:35 am First album I ever bought with my own money was "Dookie" by Green Day. Bought the cassette off of a neighbor college kid for a dime.

Load came out right when I was finishing high school.

My friends and I went out to a record store by Chicago on Irving Park Road which I think was Rolling Stones?

We waited in line for hours with a few hundred people all the while the record store had Until It Sleeps playing on a loop.

The album goes on sale at midnight. We go back home to listen to it. FACEPALM, we waited hours for THIS?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:01 pm

My friends and I went out to a record store by Chicago on Irving Park Road which I think was Rolling Stones?
Yep, right in Norridge. Still there, too.
KFFL refugee.

Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

BEASTIE BOYS- LICENSE TO ILL
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Rockbear99 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:58 pm BEASTIE BOYS- LICENSE TO ILL
Damn!

Love that one.
Heinz D.
MVP

The Beatles--Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Although it it's never been my favorite Beatles album, that was the first one I bought.
Grizzled wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:54 am Mine were Tommy by the Who, then Atom Heart Mother and Meddle by Pink Floyd. Had purchased a Panasonic all-in-one stereo: am/fm, phonograph, 8-track player, I thought I was in heaven. It also had an 8-track recorder so I could put my favorite albums on tape for playing in the ol' 65 Chevy Belair for cruising when gas was 30 to 35 cents per gallon. Into the city, sometimes up north along Sheridan Drive.
I'm not sure that I was ever aware that there were recordable 8 tracks. :-o I'll be damned...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:47 am The Beatles--Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Although it it's never been my favorite Beatles album, that was the first one I bought.
Grizzled wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:54 am Mine were Tommy by the Who, then Atom Heart Mother and Meddle by Pink Floyd. Had purchased a Panasonic all-in-one stereo: am/fm, phonograph, 8-track player, I thought I was in heaven. It also had an 8-track recorder so I could put my favorite albums on tape for playing in the ol' 65 Chevy Belair for cruising when gas was 30 to 35 cents per gallon. Into the city, sometimes up north along Sheridan Drive.
I'm not sure that I was ever aware that there were recordable 8 tracks. :-o I'll be damned...
12 minutes per track. I’ll listen to a CD which I used to have in vinyl and recorded to 8 track and listen for the click of it switching tracks. Recorded Nixon’s resignation speech, full length concerts on KXRT, you name it.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:38 am

Dookie and Smash by The Offspring are the albums that immediately come to mind when I think about my junior high years.

I'm really curious what albums are going to be cemented in the minds of current 13-14 year-olds. I have no clue what's popular now.
Digital music has sort of changed how kids will remember music. My kids don't really download albums. They download playlists.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:03 pm

Digital music has sort of changed how kids will remember music. My kids don't really download albums. They download playlists.
Yeah, it's kind of a reinvention of the 1950s-60s singles on 45 scene.

In this case, it's a series of songs like you'd have heard sequentially on the radio back then, but with a ton more variety.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Album sales are booming. There aren't enough ptessing plants to meet demand.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:01 pm

We waited in line for hours with a few hundred people all the while the record store had Until It Sleeps playing on a loop.

The album goes on sale at midnight. We go back home to listen to it. FACEPALM, we waited hours for THIS?
I loved Load. But I didn't grow up listening to the Black Album or Master of Puppets/etc. I get why those who adored the Cliff era were put off by how ballad/country/blues-ish Load got, but since it was my first exposure to Metallica, I thought it was good shit.

Now as an older person who has enjoyed virtually all Metallica, stem to stern (sans the Lulu album which I prefer to think of as never having existed), I rarely listen to much from Load unless I'm in a really nostalgic mood.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:03 pm

Yeah totally agree. I feel bad for them, because the music isn't as "sticky" with them. We'd listen to albums at first for the hits - then over time with listens (and the fact that we'd have to physically go to a turntable or tape deck so change a song), we'd "discover" the album tracks that we'd often like better. I know some artists still make a point to release albums of related music and some fans do still like it - but not like it used to be. :(
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:26 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:47 am The Beatles--Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

12 minutes per track. I’ll listen to a CD which I used to have in vinyl and recorded to 8 track and listen for the click of it switching tracks. Recorded Nixon’s resignation speech, full length concerts on KXRT, you name it.
I had an recording 8 track for a while in one of those all-in-one units they used to sell (Soundesign LOL). And you're right it was great for duplicating your albums to bring on the road. After a year or two I upgraded to a nice Pioneer system with separate components and a cassette deck

What I hated about that (and even the store-bought 8 tracks) is the breaks in the middle of a song as the darn things switched tracks. It was pretty common. Zep's Rock N Roll was split across tracks. So was Free Bird. And IIRC The Wall was actually edited/shortened for 8 Track. LOL And then when you recorded them yourself, it was hard to control & if you tried to just stop at the end of a song and wait for the channel change, you ended up having to listen to silence during that period when you were playing it back. Doh!
IE
Hall of Famer

What systems do you guys use to play music? Anyone still do vinyl from the old days (or recently get into it)?