Update: Quinn reports, says he doesn't want to be traded

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:28 pm

They're not rumors - they're just ideas that Bleacher Report concocted.
(as usual BR links don't show)
Ok thanks for the links
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:58 pm

Any chance that came from a QAnon site? Sound like it. :rofl:
See Moriarty’s post above yours for links

Bearfacts
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:59 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:58 pm

Any chance that came from a QAnon site? Sound like it. :rofl:

Sorry, I was just being a smart ass. It's a hard habit to break. :ashamed:
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:04 am

Well at least you have the option, I’m not smart enough :)

Bearfacts
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:13 am

Well at least you have the option, I’m not smart enough :)
:toast: ....oh I doubt that.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Heinz D.
MVP

Quinn doesn't want to be traded. Probably should have its own thread. But I gotta fly...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Ryan: Robert, come on in and have a seat, man. How you feelin'?
Robert: With all due respect Ryan, I'm not excited about playing for another mediocre team. I'm over 30. I don't have time to spend years in a rebuild. I need to be playoff bound. And this team isn't there yet.
Ryan: I get it, Robert. That's how I'd feel if I were in your boots, man.
Robert: So what can we do to make that happen?
Ryan: I have a question for you. Are you worth a 3rd round pick?
Robert: That's BS and you know it.
Ryan: We agree then. You know it and I know it. But that's what's being offered for you.
Robert: What a bunch of horse sh*t.
Ryan: No kidding! So here's what needs to happen. We need to create a market for you. If we can get a late 1 or a 2 for you, we can make a move happen. And it will be at playoff bound team who has an injury that will raise the ante. But I'm not going to give you away for a freaking 3. What an insult.
Robert: A 3? Get the hell outta here.
Ryan: The good news is that you're a perfect fit for this defense. You can put your hand down every play the way you like and just kill it. So here's the plan. We'll give you days off and limit your preseason time and keep you fresh. Then in September, you can do your thing and get the attention of the playoff teams. Somebody will come a callin' with a better offer.
Robert: Yeah. I know how to play this game. I don't need no damned practices. You watch what happens in September.
Ryan: One last thing though. We need to control the media circus. When you get asked, you tell them you don't want to trade, you're happy here, yada, yada. We don't need to advertise what the plan is. It's nobody's business but ours. Deal?
Robert: I get it. I understand it's a business. I can play the game.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Sounds like he's tired of moving his family - admirable is my thought right now.

Good for him and good for the team. I hope he stays around.

:clap:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's said he wants to play for the Bears, not be traded. But if they're out of playoff contention by the deadline and he's having a good season, I can see him moving on.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Peanut33
Rookie

It would be good for the rebuild to have some continuity with a cost controlled high character vet at a premium position.

If Robert keeps performing at a high level why wouldn’t we want him around? Impact Edge Rushers are crazy expensive and hard to draft, let the man fulfill the contract he signed.

While the fantasy of hitting on all your draft picks sounds exciting, the reality never really lives up to the hype, and what kind of pick are we getting back in return? If the Bears have an influx of young’ ins, they are going to need good locker room types to mentor them
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Chiefs just signed Carlos Dunlap for a year, eliminating them from needing Quinn, barring injuries.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
cblaz11
MVP

I wonder if the Titans come calling after losing Landry. Could be a great match with Quinn.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:55 pm Ryan: Robert, come on in and have a seat, man. How you feelin'?
Robert: With all due respect Ryan, I'm not excited about playing for another mediocre team. I'm over 30. I don't have time to spend years in a rebuild. I need to be playoff bound. And this team isn't there yet.
Ryan: Haven't you seen what I've been doing? Don't you realize we're going to the Super Bowl man?!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

New article on Quinn:
Enigmatic DE Robert Quinn finds his fit amid Bears’ rebuild

Robert Quinn is unconventional, and understanding him requires you to abandon any assumptions. He isn’t going to fit neatly inside any typical framework.

He lives peacefully amid the tension of various contradictions.

He is fervent about his work, but his tone is understated. He’s chasing the Hall of Fame, but that ambition is balanced by the fact that he’s just happy to be alive — something he often mentions — after doctors told him at 17 that he had a brain tumor that would take his life in a week.

There are many more paradoxes within Quinn, but the most perplexing thing about him at the moment is that he’s still here.

With the Bears opening the season Sunday against the 49ers, Quinn seemed certain to have been traded by now. He is the most accomplished, most expensive player on the roster at a salary-cap hit of $17.1 million and could bring in a nice return.

Furthermore, it’s perplexing that he wants to stay. Why would a 12-year veteran want to stick around for a season that everyone expects to be a grueling first step of the rebuild when he could press the team to trade him to a contender?

Quinn can’t answer that because he rejects the premise. As usual, he doesn’t see this the way everyone else does. He values stability. And he doesn’t buy the commentary that this is a bad team.

“It seems like we’re the underdogs this year, but don’t count us out just yet,” he told the Sun-Times. “We’ve still got 17 games to play and we’ll see what happens... We’ve got pieces. Will we be gelled together like we should when the season comes? I sure hope so.

“And I play football with the guys in this locker room, but I also have a family. You’ve gotta find happiness in the middle somewhere. I’m in one spot and I know my family is settled — it’s just peace of mind knowing where you’re gonna be and what to expect when you walk in the building.”

“I’m not gonna change who I am regardless of how the locker room is shaped. I just try to lead by example and be myself, and if people like it, I love them. And if they don’t, oh well, I’m gonna be myself regardless and try to make fun and happiness in the locker room. Any of us can be gone at any time, so we might as well try to enjoy it as best as possible while we’re here.”

Gipson is an upstart from Tulsa who aspires to climb to Quinn’s stature, and getting to be his understudy has been huge.

“He has so much experience and knowledge,” Gipson said. “We trust what he says. It reflects in what he does on the field. It’s hard to [ignore] what a guy says when he shows you results also. It’s credibility, mentorship, leadership.”

And that, in addition to Quinn still being a world-class pass rusher, is a big reason general manager Ryan Poles hasn’t wanted to trade him. Cap space and draft assets are valuable, but so is Quinn.

“He brings one of those examples of what Matt wants to see out of his defense in being relentless,” Poles said. “Another leader in the room that can show the young guys the way. And he’s been doing a really great job at that.

“There’s this misconception: ‘Tear this down and rebuild it all.’ It’s not that. There’s also a feel for the room. How can you stay productive and win ballgames? He helps us with that.”

“I want to play at a high level as long as I’m playing,” Quinn said. “I could be home just living life, but if I’m going to sacrifice that to play this game, I might as well make it worthwhile.

“I love what I do. I want to make sure I have a strong career like some of the Hall of Famers. They gave me something to reach for. Now I’m just trying ... to get to the numbers of Hall of Famers. That means I’m doing something right.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... ll-of-fame
RichH55
Hall of Famer

That translates to
Me as

We aren’t giving him away but we are listening
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:08 pm New article on Quinn:
Enigmatic DE Robert Quinn finds his fit amid Bears’ rebuild

He is fervent about his work, but his tone is understated. He’s chasing the Hall of Fame, but that ambition is balanced by the fact that he’s just happy to be alive — something he often mentions — after doctors told him at 17 that he had a brain tumor that would take his life in a week.
Wait...What???!

You don't just drop a bomb like that and leave it. What happened? Misdiagnosis? Successful operation? What?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It's been well-documented that Quinn lives with a brain tumour. Here are a few of articles about it over the years:

Quinn and the tumor

Quinn is a great player, period. But what he has accomplished so far in his three seasons is even more astounding when you consider he's doing so with a brain tumor in his head.

Yes, brain tumor.

That just sounds horrific and frightening, but you would never know it by talking to Quinn.

"I've been living with it for so long, I don't think twice about it until they tell me I need to go get a checkup," Quinn said. "It's part of me."

The tumor, the size of a dime, has been at the base of his brain at least since it was first discovered during his senior season in high school in North Charleston, SC, in 2007. Quinn said he first realized something might be wrong when he had constant headaches, but others later told him they also noticed he had trouble with balance and his mother said his eyes were a yellowish color.

Then one Sunday, he collapsed twice at the family home and was raced to the hospital. He was a 17-year-old kid who had no idea what was wrong.

"They ran some tests and some scans and they told me I had a brain tumor," Quinn said. "A few days later, they told me I wasn't playing sports again. Potentially, I could have been brain dead. Being 17, that's a lot to take on."

Quinn said the tumor, which was at the top of his spinal cavity, was preventing the fluid from flowing in and out of his brain like it should. It was building up and causing pressure on his brain, thus the headaches. Doctors operated, drilling two holes to drain the fluid, but leaving the dime-size tumor in his head.

"They did their best to take care of it," Quinn said. "At the same time, they didn't want to put me in a situation where my dreams and goals were shortened because of the tumor. That had to weigh a few options. The one they took worked out for the best."

Full article: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/meet ... ain-tumor/

Miami Dolphins: How brain tumor affects Robert Quinn

Miami Dolphins defensive end Robert Quinn is living with a tumor on the right side of his brain.

In 2007, Quinn was told by doctors that he would never play football again. But even more importantly, Quinn learned his health could be in immediate, serious danger.

“I’ve had this tumor since high school and they told me that week I wasn’t going to make it out of the hospital,” Quinn said Wednesday. “It changed my whole perspective on life. It’s kind of how I am, the way I am. I don’t know if you were ever 17 and told you wouldn’t make it out of the hospital in a week. It kind of messes with you a little bit. I think it did it for the better. It makes me realize there are more important things, just football is fun. Everything is fun. But the most important thing is life. As long as you’re happy with life at the end of the day tomorrow is not promised. As long as I can wake up with a smile, it’s a blessing.”

As a teenager, Quinn underwent an operation to shrink the tumor and reduce the swelling to his brain.

How often does he get it checked on now?

“I get a checkup on it once a year and make sure it’s not doing anything crazy,” Quinn said. “It’s been almost 11 years. So it’s much a checkup to make sure it’s stable. Nothing crazy going on up there. I mean, it is your brain. So if that shuts down everything pretty much shuts down. So going on 11 years, so hopefully it’s found it’s resting place and leaves me alone.”

Full article: https://eu.palmbeachpost.com/story/spor ... 688234007/

Why Brian Piccolo Award means so much to Robert Quinn

he Brian Piccolo Award is arguably the biggest honor in Halas Hall for a Bears player. Every year, the team votes for one rookie and one veteran who “best exemplifies the courage, loyalty, teamwork, dedication and sense of humor of the late Brian Piccolo.” But the recognition is especially meaningful to this year’s veteran winner, Robert Quinn, given Quinn’s own serious health scares.T

Quinn first learned about Piccolo when he won an award with the same name in college, in recognition of the ACC’s ‘most courageous’ player. He felt a kinship to Piccolo, since Piccolo fought through his cancer diagnoses, just as Quinn tried to make the most of life after doctors discovered a tumor on his brain when he was just 17.

“To hear what he had to overcome and how he approached things the same way, I just try to make the most out of today because tomorrow ain’t promised,” Quinn said. “Really I guess the way I kind of approach life after hearing from a doctor you’ve got a week to live, there ain’t too much that can bring you down after that.

“I remember looking at my mom for I don’t know how long, kind of disbelief. More in shock. I mean, you try being 17 and they tell you you got a week, but after a couple of days I kind of came to grips with it. I’m about to leave this world. So I was trying to go out as happy as possible and I guess from there on out, I just tried to live that same way because we all go though bad things, it’s just how you approach it and make the most out of your situation. So I’ve been blessed to still be here today and keep making positive of my situation.”

Full article: https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... colo-award
And here's a Bears' video where he talks about it:

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Thank HRS. I didn't know.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:19 pm Thank HRS. I didn't know.
You are not alone in that, but with my fading mind I don't expect you'd want to be in my company much.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

No worries. It's quite some story, but not one I'd heard about until after Quinn joined the Bears. I guess it has a lot to do with Quinn's laid back approach to life off the field, having faced something like that at such a young age. His pressers last season were great.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Grizzly One wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:44 pm
You are not alone in that, but with my fading mind I don't expect you'd want to be in my company much.
Yeah, not if I have to ride that flippin' train. lol
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:15 pm
The Grizzly One wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:44 pm

Yeah, not if I have to ride that flippin' train. lol
That train is wrecked and gone with the moron that drove it.

I did like your train idea mentioned earlier. But It's to early to commit to that.

PS - It's too soon to let my Hate go. I cried and waited 3 years for that evil clown to leave.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The first time I read this post, I thought of this, but I just couldn't bring myself to subject everybody else to it. But now that I've thought about it EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME I've read through this thread, you all get to get subjected to it:

Enjoy. Welcome to my bit of this thread Hell. Can't get it out of my head.
docc
Head Coach

About the ONLY thing that could really make headlines..
Monorail from parking lot at Woodfield..right to the Bears Depot..
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Monorail! Monorail!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:04 pm Monorail! Monorail!
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.