Baker Mayfield wants to be traded

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Looks like a Jay Cutler/Denver situation over in Cleveland. Their ultimately unsuccessful pursuit of Deshaun Watson has put Mayfield's nose out of joint.

The Browns apparently aren't willing to acquiesce to his demand to be traded, but he's only under contract for one more season on his 5th Year option. This one could get interesting...
Browns' Baker Mayfield requests trade; Cleveland has no plans to trade QB

Stepping into greener grass has produced internal strife in Cleveland.

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield has requested a trade, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thursday. Cleveland does not plan to honor Mayfield's request, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported.

Mayfield's request comes on the heels of Cleveland's fruitless pursuit of Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, an effort that included the team's brass flying to Texas to meet with Watson in an attempt to convince him to waive his no-trade clause and agree to be sent to the Browns. As the courting -- which also included the Saints, Panthers and Falcons -- became increasingly apparent, Mayfield could no longer stay silent amid the noise, posting an emotional letter Tuesday to Browns fans via social media in which he reminded folks of his dedication to the franchise while also thanking those who have supported him.

Naturally, Cleveland's pursuit of Watson didn't make Mayfield feel wanted. Now he and his representation are responding to being left behind while the Browns explored a better option.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-qb-bake ... -cleveland
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I have a bias about Baker Mayfield. I love the guy.

Maybe Seattle would want him?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Apparently he's GOING to be traded.
spudbear
MVP

What would be a reasonable price for him? A first this year and next, and maybe a second round pick depending on incentives? With good coaches and some protection Mayfield can turn around his proclivity for turnovers and lead a team into the playoffs. He certainly has plenty of arm. At 6 ft 215 lbs he is a little undersized in today's NFL, and he has a shoulder injury that could cause problems down the line.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

I think it’s about what the Colts gave up for Wentz.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Browns should be able to recoup some of what they gave up to land Watson. His numbers over 4 years are pretty pedestrian though, not all that different to Trubisky's.

With all the QB moves going on I've rather lost track of who's still in the market for one.
spudbear
MVP

I would hope Mayfield would get better trade value than Wentz, but I'm a little biased since i think Wentz sux.
Supposedly New Orleans would be a top spot for BM, don't know what kind of draft capital they'd have for a trade. They were in the running for Watson and cleared cap room for him. Otherwise Seattle was mentioned as well as NYG. The Seahags seem to be on a more Bears like path of grinding out games with stout D and running game - umm, maybe former path? I think the Jints would rather spend their draft picks on supporting players and either get a good vet QB like BM or get some kind of confidence that Jones is the guy.

Finally, the Lions were mentioned. With a top pick in the draft they can choose the best QB, but they have to decide whether to pull the trigger on that, wait another year or bring in Mayfield.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think the Colts are his best option ... they have such a solid running game, so Mayfield would not have to be the guy carrying the load ... I think his skillset is good, but not spectacular, and the Colts would benefit from having him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

I like Baker. A little less than I like Minshew. Almost the same guy but Baker has a better arm and Minshew has a better head for the game.

I'd like to see Minshew in Seattle back in his college home area where they adore him. I can see Baker to the Texans or maybe Carolina will take another flyer on an ex first rounder, given the paucity of viable QBs in the draft.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:32 am I like Baker. A little less than I like Minshew. Almost the same guy but Baker has a better arm and Minshew has a better head for the game.

I'd like to see Minshew in Seattle back in his college home area where they adore him. I can see Baker to the Texans or maybe Carolina will take another flyer on an ex first rounder, given the paucity of viable QBs in the draft.
Good man.

Keep the faith with Minshew Mania. We haven't seen the last of that MF'er.

One of these days a Super Bowl winning QB will be wearing a mullet and jorts on the podium holding up the Lombardi Trophy and there won't be a dry eye in the house. Or at least my house on that day.
wab
Mod

I like Baker too. I don't know where he goes from here though. I think the Seahawks are content to go through the motions with Lock. Saints just resigned Winston. Texans seem perfectly happy with Davis Mills.

There's really no where for him to go. Plus the Browns are rumored to want a R1 pick for him.

Maybe the Lions. John Dorsey drafted Mayfield and works for the Lions now. They have a spare R1 pick...but also Goff (although I think Baker is better than Goff).

The Browns could conceivably keep him, but I imagine he'd just sit out.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would say a 4th or 3rd gets him. They need his 18 million hit off the books but probably can’t cut him due to the shoulder surgery.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Carolina might want him? Or some team who assumes they'll get to draft their guy and gets disappointed?

The fact that the Seahawks and Falcons are clearly tanking is kinda wild. Nobody's even trying to hide it.
xyt in the discord chats
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so now it has gone from "Baker Mayfield wants to be traded" to "who wants to trade for Baker Mayfield?"

the QB musical chairs dance is coming to an end, and no one seems to have an interest in Mayfield and his window of opportunity to be a starting QB seems to be closing ... rumors in Steelers land say the Steelers will grab him if he is cut, but have no interest in trading for him ... it would look to me the Seahawks should have an interest but Pete Carrol has stated he is happy with Drew Lock going into the season as his starter

the Panthers don't seem to be an option as they probably don't want 2 QB's from the 2018 draft, and would Mayfield be an upgrade over Darnold?

will the Browns keep him? wouldn't seem to be smart to have a disgruntled backup hanging around, but who knows ... Mayfield may have to eat some humble pie and sign a backup QB deal somewhere if the Browns cut him loose rather than trade him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Just hear me out on this. Feel free to respond with a gif of Scarface snorting a tabletop full of coke.

Why not Nick Foles and like a fourth or fifth for Baker?

Ok fine maybe he’s a one year rental, but he can play.

What if Fields gets hurt? What if he doesn’t progress?

What if Fields gets hurt, Baker takes over and lights it up?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Traded to panthers for conditional 5th and salary split.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Cleveland is pretty hosed at QB now. It’s probable Watson is suspended all season so Jacoby Brissett becomes the QB. If you’re a betting man, I’d take the Under on Cleveland’s win total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good landing spot for Baker IMO
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Week 1 the Panthers host the Browns.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Must see TV
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:06 am Just hear me out on this. Feel free to respond with a gif of Scarface snorting a tabletop full of coke.

Why not Nick Foles and like a fourth or fifth for Baker?

Ok fine maybe he’s a one year rental, but he can play.

What if Fields gets hurt? What if he doesn’t progress?

What if Fields gets hurt, Baker takes over and lights it up?
Finding this post kinda felt like when I went through my attic and found my junior high and high school yearbooks. And I’m just as good looking with this as I am with that.