Diontae Johnson gets paid too

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

IE
Hall of Famer

The money seems about right for an above-average WR. 18MM is ARob territory and that's about the numbers DJ puts up. But man... if it takes a guy well over 300 targets to put up 2000 yards and 15 TDs in two years... I'm sorta thinking he's closer to JAG than star. I'm not saying he's JAG. He's just not as productive as you'd like for that volume. With similar volume in '21, Justin Jefferson put up 500 more yards and 2 more TDs.

Anyway... If I'm Velus, I'm looking at this fellow 3rd round pick and seeing what I could be earning in just a couple of years. Be reliable & earn the high target volume. Catch over 60% of the balls that come your way & get that YAC. Don't even worry about some drops, because DJ's NINE in '20 didn't hurt him at all.

DJ's 680 yards and 5 TDs is the baseline for what I expect from Velus this year. I expect more (similar yards; a couple more TDs).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Queue the penny pinching comments about how Diontae Johnson is too expensive and we should never sign anybody for anything above what an Amazon delivery driver makes even though we have a bajillion dollars of cap space next year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm Queue the penny pinching comments about how Diontae Johnson is too expensive and we should never sign anybody for anything above what an Amazon delivery driver makes even though we have a bajillion dollars of cap space next year.
If he were a Bear, I think all we’d here is how Poles has a set value and he’s not going to go above that. He’d let the guy walk or hold out and get praised for it.

The Steelers are not habitual over payers, they are the model folks are pointing to when defending Poles frugal approach. And yet, they do step up and pay their own emerging stars when they are young and ascending. Paying attention Ryan? Get it done.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:42 pm Queue the penny pinching comments about how Diontae Johnson is too expensive and we should never sign anybody for anything above what an Amazon delivery driver makes even though we have a bajillion dollars of cap space next year.
What on earth are you talking about?

If this is a reference back to Metcalf - the part people had issues with was the DRAFT PICKS - not the money.

Im still worried the Bears won't have all that much to spend on FA.

Though I'm told we can just say "Sign a WR, Sign a WR, Sign a WR" into a mirror and one appears. It was this great offseason "Plan" I read
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:23 am
What on earth are you talking about?

If this is a reference back to Metcalf - the part people had issues with was the DRAFT PICKS - not the money.

Im still worried the Bears won't have all that much to spend on FA.

Though I'm told we can just say "Sign a WR, Sign a WR, Sign a WR" into a mirror and one appears. It was this great offseason "Plan" I read
Pretty much every discussion about FA that’s been had on these boards for the past four months.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Correctamundo. A camp has emerged on this board that, IMHO, is penny wise and pound foolish. Every FA deal is shit on as “too expensive”. Our own guys also, too expensive. At one point a majority of the board argued that DK Metcalf wasn’t even worth trading a second round pick. Seattle rebuffed offers for multiple first round picks - this camps perception of value just doesn’t align with reality. Bates lowball offer, excuses made. Adding to this camp are those that argue that talent isn’t even all that important, rather coaching and attitude are all that’s needed (vaguely summarizing the argument).

I lump them all in as Poles stans, basically taking a position of “if Poles did it, it must be right”. I’d like to see some acknowledgment on some of these prior threads, as I did when proven wrong when Poles added two vet OL just before camp. I was wrong and said so. My argument on Metcalf has been absolutely been backed up by facts now - I argued we should trade for him even though we aren’t ready to compete yet because I suspected that the best WRs would not make it to free agency and despite having cap space we wouldn’t have a top WR to spend it on. And here we are, Metcalf, Johnson, McLauren, etc all signed extensions. There’s no elite WR talent to spend on next year, as predicted. Where are the mea culpas? I’m not talking to the “draft one” point - I’m taking specifically to those that argued Metcalfs value was far lower than it is, and those that argued you can’t trade picks for players you then have to pay a lot of money too. Hill, Brown, and other have disproven this way of thinking, it’s simply not how the NFL operates today.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:24 pm Correctamundo. A camp has emerged on this board that, IMHO, is penny wise and pound foolish. Every FA deal is shit on as “too expensive”. Our own guys also, too expensive. At one point a majority of the board argued that DK Metcalf wasn’t even worth trading a second round pick. Seattle rebuffed offers for multiple first round picks - this camps perception of value just doesn’t align with reality. Bates lowball offer, excuses made. Adding to this camp are those that argue that talent isn’t even all that important, rather coaching and attitude are all that’s needed (vaguely summarizing the argument).

I lump them all in as Poles stans, basically taking a position of “if Poles did it, it must be right”. I’d like to see some acknowledgment on some of these prior threads, as I did when proven wrong when Poles added two vet OL just before camp. I was wrong and said so. My argument on Metcalf has been absolutely been backed up by facts now - I argued we should trade for him even though we aren’t ready to compete yet because I suspected that the best WRs would not make it to free agency and despite having cap space we wouldn’t have a top WR to spend it on. And here we are, Metcalf, Johnson, McLauren, etc all signed extensions. There’s no elite WR talent to spend on next year, as predicted. Where are the mea culpas? I’m not talking to the “draft one” point - I’m taking specifically to those that argued Metcalfs value was far lower than it is, and those that argued you can’t trade picks for players you then have to pay a lot of money too. Hill, Brown, and other have disproven this way of thinking, it’s simply not how the NFL operates today.
Bro...you can't make all these passive aggressive insults and still be the one that pounded the table about Poles overpaying for Ogun.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:24 pm Correctamundo. A camp has emerged on this board that, IMHO, is penny wise and pound foolish. Every FA deal is shit on as “too expensive”. Our own guys also, too expensive. At one point a majority of the board argued that DK Metcalf wasn’t even worth trading a second round pick. Seattle rebuffed offers for multiple first round picks - this camps perception of value just doesn’t align with reality. Bates lowball offer, excuses made. Adding to this camp are those that argue that talent isn’t even all that important, rather coaching and attitude are all that’s needed (vaguely summarizing the argument).

You are conflating any number of things.

For starters even you - Sonny Corleone - thought MOST of the FA contracts were bad. You weren't paying Kirk that and you said so. Do you want Kirk?

Bates still not a lowball offer - Be better than that.

Pure Yogi with declaring victory on the Metcalf thing before its even close to settled (*)

(*) If we have a Top 3 pick next year and you think we should have dealt that for Metcalf - you are doing things wrong.

Also love this "I’m not talking to the “draft one” point " Yeah. Drafting a good player? Can't happen. Got it. Anyone trying to get a WR without trading a 1st Rounder it's impossible!

Scans NFL rosters - Oh. Nevermind

Also - do you get ANY of the details in the Metcalf discussion? Like any of them?

1). If you trade a Top 3 pick for him - you are doing things poorly.

2). You are mistaking people debating if something is smart v. the market (THE MARKET DOESNT HAVE TO BE RIGHT - At one point the market said Rick Mirer was worth a 1st Round pick - in a trade)

Anyone who said Rick Mirer wasn't worth a 1st Round pick - was technically wrong. Anyone who said it's a terrible idea to trade that for Mirer - Super correct.

"and those that argued you can’t trade picks for players you then have to pay a lot of money too."

You are mistaking the words SHOULDNT for Cant. Its a big difference.

3) Basically most of the WR trades have just happened. You are correct in that it is the NFL trend and what the market states the cost is.

We have not actually seen how this will be successwise for both sides of the trades

We will know alot more after this season how they all look - My guess is mixed results
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well they were more just aggressive insults, not so passive. But I made my reasoning Uber clear on that: I didn’t mind the overpay, I didn’t even mind the player - I minded the resource allocation going to the defensive side of the ball instead of going to WR or OL to help Fields. And I was really, really, repeatedly clear about that.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:22 pm Well they were more just aggressive insults, not so passive. But I made my reasoning Uber clear on that: I didn’t mind the overpay, I didn’t even mind the player - I minded the resource allocation going to the defensive side of the ball instead of going to WR or OL to help Fields. And I was really, really, repeatedly clear about that.
Yep - and you had to acknowledge the lack of spots to actually spend the resources - which you did to your credit

Then anyone else who was like "Actually this FA crop wasn't very good - glad we didn't spend a ton of money on weak product " - They are the ones who are penny wise, pound foolish - Not when Dplank thinks Kirk was paid too much - dont lump Dplank in there!~!!!!!

And you also went on and on and on about Morgan Moses - UBER clear there. And then we got probably the better option because Reilly can play (only so-so!~) both tackle spots v. just RT - which seems good since Borom is probably not a LT
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Are you ready for some

FOOTBALL?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:39 pm
dplank wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:22 pm Well they were more just aggressive insults, not so passive. But I made my reasoning Uber clear on that: I didn’t mind the overpay, I didn’t even mind the player - I minded the resource allocation going to the defensive side of the ball instead of going to WR or OL to help Fields. And I was really, really, repeatedly clear about that.
Yep - and you had to acknowledge the lack of spots to actually spend the resources - which you did to your credit

Then anyone else who was like "Actually this FA crop wasn't very good - glad we didn't spend a ton of money on weak product " - They are the ones who are penny wise, pound foolish - Not when Dplank thinks Kirk was paid too much - dont lump Dplank in there!~!!!!!

And you also went on and on and on about Morgan Moses - UBER clear there. And then we got probably the better option because Reilly can play (only so-so!~) both tackle spots v. just RT - which seems good since Borom is probably not a LT
I’d still rather have Moses on a multi year, cheaper deal than Reiff. And, because I’m consistent, praised the signings of both Schofied and Reiff then followed up by manning up and admitting I was wrong to assume Poles wasn’t going to sign them. Something you’ve never done. And I’d note, was right to call on Poles to make those signings, which several posters were arguing as unnecessary - and have yet to admit their take was shown to be wrong as well. Honor is one sided on this forum.

There have been several pennywise pound foolish takes across several board members. The only one you’ve had that I recall is defending the Bates offer. You’re wrong there.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Teams are built in several ways. Some teams almost exclusively use the draft and fill in holes with free agents although they typically don't sign premium ones (Pats, Seahawks). The Pats also have traded away several top players for draft picks before re-signing them to big contracts. Most teams take a stab by trying to sign a premium guy who is either a free agent or trading for him, giving up draft picks. Then there's the Rams, who trade away draft picks and sign numerous free agents. At this point, Poles looks to be in the first camp but that can change. Roquan's and Monty's situations will be indicators. Free agency after the 2022 season will be another. There doesn't appear to be premium WRs who will be available. The Bears may be in the market for one or more OGs and possibly a RT. They'll definitely look at DL help.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:00 am
RichH55 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:39 pm

I’d still rather have Moses on a multi year, cheaper deal than Reiff. And, because I’m consistent, praised the signings of both Schofied and Reiff then followed up by manning up and admitting I was wrong to assume Poles wasn’t going to sign them. Something you’ve never done. And I’d note, was right to call on Poles to make those signings, which several posters were arguing as unnecessary - and have yet to admit their take was shown to be wrong as well. Honor is one sided on this forum.

There have been several pennywise pound foolish takes across several board members. The only one you’ve had that I recall is defending the Bates offer. You’re wrong there.
I don't say things like we should play Chase Daniel or trade a 2nd for Robbie Gould. I try to be more Michael than Sonny (we both try to avoid Fredo)

The Bates thing is all sorts of shades of Gray. The lowball stuff is bad. Its meatheaded fandom. Bad. Be better
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:11 pm
dplank wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:00 am

I don't say things like we should play Chase Daniel or trade a 2nd for Robbie Gould. I try to be more Michael than Sonny (we both try to avoid Fredo)

The Bates thing is all sorts of shades of Gray. The lowball stuff is bad. Its meatheaded fandom. Bad. Be better
Your not Michael, your Rain Man. Wrong movie. Intelligent but incapable of normal human interaction.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:11 pm

Your not Michael, your Rain Man. Wrong movie. Intelligent but incapable of normal human interaction.
But not wrong.