Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 am
Grizzled wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:35 am This is what it looks like so far:

LT: Braxton Jones/Larry Borom
LG: Cody Whitehair/Lachavious Simmons
C: Lucas Patrick/Sam Mustipher
RG: Michael Scofield/Carter
RT: Reilly Reiff/Teven Jenkins
It's not terrible once Patrick is back. But having Simmons on the roster is a red flag - he can't play a lick. I'd prefer Mustipher at G and keeping Kramer unless h's a total turd. Or if not Kramer, then keep Eislen over Simmons. We can't be a couple injuries away from Simmons and Mustipher starting inside, that happened against Tennessee a few years ago and was one of the worst OL performances I had ever seen (until the Cleveland game, which amazingly was worse).
Yes, if those 2 are playing, the team's in big trouble. Haven't heard much about Thomas in training camp. If Whitehair goes down hopefully they look at Carter.
Last edited by Grizzled on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:25 pm Here was the reporting on Reiff

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... iley-reiff

So a 3M backup or potentially a 7.5M backup who gets two injury starts?
Also, the Bears would have to improve in one of six offensive categories, whatever they are.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

What has happened to Larry Borom? He was first string LT and then first team RT. Now he has fallen behind Tevin too? Happy to see all the Rookies flourish, but am just wondering what is up with Larry.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:28 am What has happened to Larry Borom? He was first string LT and then first team RT. Now he has fallen behind Tevin too? Happy to see all the Rookies flourish, but am just wondering what is up with Larry.
I think he's just bouncing based on circumstance and uncertainty over his best side (originally he was pegged as RT only, if any T at all, but then he played great on the L and terrible on the R last year).

Jones is pegged as definitely LT as best fit, and he's their favorite young guy ATM
Jenkins is pegged as RT only
If Jones is playing L, they definitely want Reilly on the field, so that puts him on the R, with Borom the backup LT
But if Jones isn't ready to start at L, then they probably want Reilly there, and that move Borom to the R.

So, until they decide on Jones, or unless Borom blows the competition out of the water, he's kind of in limbo.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:44 am
Shadow wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:28 am What has happened to Larry Borom? He was first string LT and then first team RT. Now he has fallen behind Tevin too? Happy to see all the Rookies flourish, but am just wondering what is up with Larry.
I think he's just bouncing based on circumstance and uncertainty over his best side (originally he was pegged as RT only, if any T at all, but then he played great on the L and terrible on the R last year).

Jones is pegged as definitely LT as best fit, and he's their favorite young guy ATM
Jenkins is pegged as RT only
If Jones is playing L, they definitely want Reilly on the field, so that puts him on the R, with Borom the backup LT
But if Jones isn't ready to start at L, then they probably want Reilly there, and that move Borom to the R.

So, until they decide on Jones, or unless Borom blows the competition out of the water, he's kind of in limbo.
Allow me to look WAY WAY too far ahead

There is a decent chance some legit RT could make it to FA this upcoming year (McGlinchey, Wynn (LT but can play RT), Conklin, maybe Fant, E Jenkins (Think he can play RT And to lesser extent: J.James, Haverstein, McGary
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I. Wynn might be on the block in NE

I liked him coming out of college - Carries like a 10-11 million cap hit?

Probably comes cheap (besides cap hit)

I wonder if Riley Reiff straight up would get it done?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I don’t see the Bears moving Jenkins now. They’ll continue to work him hard in camp and probably give him extra snaps versus Cleveland. Reiff was decent as a RT for Cincy last year but he’s better at LT. Looks like Borom will start at RT and Reiff will be the swing guy now.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:22 am I don’t see the Bears moving Jenkins now. They’ll continue to work him hard in camp and probably give him extra snaps versus Cleveland. Reiff was decent as a RT for Cincy last year but he’s better at LT. Looks like Borom will start at RT and Reiff will be the swing guy now.
I could see a scenario where Reiff is still the starting RT. They are getting Borom reps so that he can be a competent swing. Reiff is a 10 year vet and doesn't need a ton of reps to be ready to start.
IE
Hall of Famer

I hope neither Scho or Reiff are starting, and end up only playing as contingency/backups. Young team? Play the youngsters and develop them quickly. Unless those vets are considerably better you don't play them over guys that you want to be around. If they don't start the young guys, I'll assume it is because they already know they don't want them around next year.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

Jones/Whitehair/Patrick(Mustipher?)/Jenkins/Borom

Would be nice if they could get some burn together; curious to see how they'd look week 6 and onward.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:33 am I hope neither Scho or Reiff are starting, and end up only playing as contingency/backups. Young team? Play the youngsters and develop them quickly. Unless those vets are considerably better you don't play them over guys that you want to be around. If they don't start the young guys, I'll assume it is because they already know they don't want them around next year.
I'm not even convinced that Schofield makes the team. He's been pretty bad. If I have to choose between him and a rookie like Thomas, I'm taking the rookie.

At the time Schofield was brought in, I think a lot of us presumed he'd be the starter amidst all the Jenkins drama. Now that whatever was going on with Jenkins seems to be sorted out, I don't think Schofield is needed.
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:13 am Jones/Whitehair/Patrick(Mustipher?)/Jenkins/Borom

Would be nice if they could get some burn together; curious to see how they'd look week 6 and onward.
Definitely. We know there will be some stuff we don't want to see up front. But they need time & experience to gel. The payoff should come. The whole can be better than the sum of the parts, if they develop as a unit.
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:13 am Jones/Whitehair/Patrick(Mustipher?)/Jenkins/Borom

I think we will see noticeable improvement when Patrick is back. I really want Jenkins to win that RG position, it's what's best for our franchise if he starts to play like a lot of us thought he would when we drafted him. I don't care at all if that's at RG or RT. Speaking of RT, I'm not sold on Borom and won't be upset if Reiff starts there. But I do agree with IE that if they are close then you play Borom as he has growth potential and Reiff is who he is at this stage of his career.

I like keeping Schofield as a swing G (the negativity on him after what, 5 snaps, is just insane to me). The loser of Reiff / Borom as swing T. And I suppose Mustipher as backup C. There's our 8. I suspect the other two rookies are PS bound unless we are worried they get poached and maybe we keep 9.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:25 am

I think we will see noticeable improvement when Patrick is back. I really want Jenkins to win that RG position, it's what's best for our franchise if he starts to play like a lot of us thought he would when we drafted him. I don't care at all if that's at RG or RT. Speaking of RT, I'm not sold on Borom and won't be upset if Reiff starts there. But I do agree with IE that if they are close then you play Borom as he has growth potential and Reiff is who he is at this stage of his career.

I like keeping Schofield as a swing G (the negativity on him after what, 5 snaps, is just insane to me). The loser of Reiff / Borom as swing T. And I suppose Mustipher as backup C. There's our 8. I suspect the other two rookies are PS bound unless we are worried they get poached and maybe we keep 9.
I think that Borom's the starting RT if he has even a halfway decent game against Cleveland. I read someplace that he hadn't allowed a pressure all preseason. Not sure if it's true. I think he was at least partly responsible for the pressure that Jenkins gave up last game.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:25 am

I really want Jenkins to win that RG position, it's what's best for our franchise if he starts to play like a lot of us thought he would when we drafted him. I don't care at all if that's at RG or RT.
Agreed. I don't care where he plays on the line, just so long as he starts and plays well.

I think Borom has the feet to play OT in this league.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
IE
Hall of Famer

I"m really super excited to really see these guys play, at their lighter weight & after getting a few games under their belt in the new system & learning how Getsy operates with the flow of the play calling and his recognition of what is happening out there. I think that matters a LOT.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:43 am
Grizzled wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:22 am I don’t see the Bears moving Jenkins now. They’ll continue to work him hard in camp and probably give him extra snaps versus Cleveland. Reiff was decent as a RT for Cincy last year but he’s better at LT. Looks like Borom will start at RT and Reiff will be the swing guy now.
I could see a scenario where Reiff is still the starting RT. They are getting Borom reps so that he can be a competent swing. Reiff is a 10 year vet and doesn't need a ton of reps to be ready to start.
Reiff can handle RT as you say. But this year is building for the future, not winning now. If Borom starts and is a seive, they can sub in Reiff.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:04 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:43 am

Reiff can handle RT as you say. But this year is building for the future, not winning now. If Borom starts and is a seive, they can sub in Reiff.
Agreed - there are going to be some growing pains this season but for a worthy cause
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Just say ‘no’ to trading for Isaiah Wynn.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:14 am Just say ‘no’ to trading for Isaiah Wynn.
Too much money I'm guessing?

Or don't think he can play / stay healthy?

Or all?
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:14 am Just say ‘no’ to trading for Isaiah Wynn.

Or all?
Both I think.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not terribly interested in the Bears adding more oline unless Patrick is going to miss a bunch more time. With Jenkins at RG I'm not officially good with our mix of unproven youth and mediocre veterans.

Jones/Reiff
Whitehair/Schofield/Rookie?
Patrick/Mustifer
Jenkins/Schofield/Rookie?
Borom/Reiff

Good enough for me.
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:29 pm I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not terribly interested in the Bears adding more oline unless Patrick is going to miss a bunch more time. With Jenkins at RG I'm not officially good with our mix of unproven youth and mediocre veterans.

Jones/Reiff
Patrick/Mustifer
Borom/Reiff

Good enough for me.
Yeah, there's nothing much more to be done this year. If someone with real upside gets cut (unlikely), or an upgrade over Mustipher, maybe.

But next year, 1-2 more OL pieces will probably still be a priority, unless almost all the kids are terrific.

dplank
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:29 pm I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm not terribly interested in the Bears adding more oline unless Patrick is going to miss a bunch more time. With Jenkins at RG I'm not officially good with our mix of unproven youth and mediocre veterans.

Jones/Reiff
Patrick/Mustifer
Borom/Reiff

Good enough for me.
Yea I agree. Signing Reiff and Schofield really made all the difference, whether they start or not. With those signings, we now have proper competition and we aren't an injury away from Davenport or Simmons taking the field. Patrick is going to need to stay healthy, Mustipher looks like a big weak link if he's in there and at a critical spot.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 am

Or all?
Both plus not giving up any more draft picks plus I think the Bears have guys already on the roster who can fill the position at least this year and hopefully into the future.
IE
Hall of Famer

Depending on how the early season goes, I'd like to see them sub in younger guys for spot duty (e.g. near the end of a blowout - there will be some) to see if they can be the backups instead of Reiff and Schofield. Because why not give Thomas and Carter a chance. Thomas can play OT - maybe put him on the right and move Borom to the left if Jones needs a rest or whatever. Or let Thomas and Carter spell Whitehair and Jenk as needed. I see zero reason to play one of those vets if the season goes how I expect it to go. IF they surprise and start winning and then a starter gets injured... maybe then you'd play the vet first.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:52 pm Depending on how the early season goes, I'd like to see them sub in younger guys for spot duty (e.g. near the end of a blowout - there will be some) to see if they can be the backups instead of Reiff and Schofield. Because why not give Thomas and Carter a chance. Thomas can play OT - maybe put him on the right and move Borom to the left if Jones needs a rest or whatever. Or let Thomas and Carter spell Whitehair and Jenk as needed. I see zero reason to play one of those vets if the season goes how I expect it to go. IF they surprise and start winning and then a starter gets injured... maybe then you'd play the vet first.
I pretty much share this sentiment (*)

(*) I leave some wiggle room in case the kids really just aren't ready at all to be backups - which is possible
malagabears
Journeyman

Would anyone take a flyer on him if cut?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

malagabears wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:52 pm
Would anyone take a flyer on him if cut?
Really? No.

I'd rather see Jenkins, Carter, or Thomas than him.

Shadow
Assistant Coach

Jones/Reiff
Patrick/Mustifer
Borom/Reiff

Good enough for me.
Good enough for me also. Except swap Schofield for Coleman. Schofield is bad, just bad.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated: