2022 IR and PS rules

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Injured Reserve:

The NFL adjusted it's IR protocols to allow players to return from injuries. Players must spend at least four weeks on IR before being welcomed back to the team, and clubs are only allowed to return eight players from the list during the season. Players can return up to twice in a season.

"A player designated for return from the practice squad/injured list is eligible to return to the practice squad after four games have elapsed since the date he was placed on the Practice Squad/Injured List," the statement read.

players who end up on short-term injured reserve need to first be named to the 53-man roster.

Practice Squads:

NFL teams will be able to have 16 players on their practice squad. The number went up from 14 during the COVID019 pandemic.

Ten of the 16 players can have no more than two accrued seasons. The other six players don't have any limitations, which means veterans can be on the practice squad.

Players can be elevated up to three times during the year, before having to pass through waivers, which is one game more than it was last season (two).

Basically, in order to accrue a season, the player needs to be on the team's active/inactive list, injured reserve or reserve PUP for at least six regular-season games in a given season.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Practice squads have gotten so large

53 + 16 + a couple to IR = 70+ you can have 'on your team'.
Less than 20 camp guys actually have to go away.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Thanks Moriarty, useful stuff :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Thanks!
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I don't mind this at all. Players can stay in shape and devote themselves to getting better vs having to go back home and get a 9-5 and hope they might get a call back.
Players are able to sign with other teams whenever they want to also, so there's always a chance they get onto a roster.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Shadow
Assistant Coach

I like the expanded Practice Squad Roster. I think it gives more opportunity to young players that maybe just need a bit more refining of their skills. It also gives some Veterans a chance to stick on a team waiting on a new chance.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Good info, thanks for digging it up. The key here is if he's placed on the short-term injured reserve, he has to be on the 53 man roster first. I don't know, however, if they then get some kind of exception for him being injured. If not, that's a position that's thin being down a guy until October.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.