The Bionic Leg Strikes Again

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Matt Azaria, drafted by the Bills, boomed an 82 yard punt yesterday in their pre-season game.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Only useful if it bounced/was claimed in bounds.

Gill’s punt to the sidelines yesterday was tremendous.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Regardless of Gill's performance, yeah, I really wanted Azaria here. Simmed that plenty of times.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:02 pm Regardless of Gill's performance, yeah, I really wanted Azaria here. Simmed that plenty of times.
Me too - but this is shaping up to be an all-timer of a Punter class
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:02 pm Regardless of Gill's performance, yeah, I really wanted Azaria here. Simmed that plenty of times.
Every sim for me at 186 (6 later than he went). I became obsessed. Friends were over to watch Timberwolves playoffs and draft, then Cardinals draft a defensive player from same school. Buddy works for Cardinals and FaceTime’s the Aztec DC to get the low down on the kid. I make him give me the phone to ask about Araiza….the DC love him for what it’s worth.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

RichH55 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:41 pm
Me too - but this is shaping up to be an all-timer of a Punter class
Agreed,
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... pe-lawsuit

If true....wow. I really don't even know what to say. Really really glad the Bears didn't draft this guy. If he did this then he deserves to be in prison.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:07 am https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... pe-lawsuit

If true....wow. I really don't even know what to say. Really really glad the Bears didn't draft this guy. If he did this then he deserves to be in prison.
I wonder if teams had any level of awareness before the draft

Could explain why he went so late
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Apparently the Bills did not know when they drafted him, but they did know before they gave him the starting job and cut their other punter.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:07 am https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... pe-lawsuit

Why the heck is this a civil suit? Over here this would be a criminal investigation that would either wind up in court or with no charges due to insufficient evidence.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I'm betting the police will open an investigation soon.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Well the Bills have released Araiza :cop:

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:11 pm

Why the heck is this a civil suit? Over here this would be a criminal investigation that would either wind up in court or with no charges due to insufficient evidence.
https://defector.com/the-bills-cut-matt ... -a-punter/

Moskovitz does a her usual good job summing everything up.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

My take on events after the attack:
Girl couldn't identify or pick out her attackers to satisfy the legal requirements on indicting the perves.
She then learns second hand who they all are, but she has no specific knowledge herself.
Her lawyer puts on pressure to see if anything shakes loose.
Files a civil suit to see what evidence they can get admitted so the criminal process can piggy back on the civil suit.

I'm assuming the players named are guilty.
but...
The only cause for concern that this is about a money grab is the lack of criminal charges after 7 months and that her lawyer contacted the Bills.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:54 am My take on events after the attack:
Girl couldn't identify or pick out her attackers to satisfy the legal requirements on indicting the perves.
She then learns second hand who they all are, but she has no specific knowledge herself.
Her lawyer puts on pressure to see if anything shakes loose.
Files a civil suit to see what evidence they can get admitted so the criminal process can piggy back on the civil suit.

I'm assuming the players named are guilty.
but...
The only cause for concern that this is about a money grab is the lack of criminal charges after 7 months and that her lawyer contacted the Bills.
What do you think about the police directing her conversation with Araiza after the incident and him admitting he had penetrative sex with her (a minor in a vulnerable state)? I’d say that’s important. In my opinion this is not about a money grab, she went to the police the day after she was a victim of a violent sexual assault.
Other students/ team mates wanted recriminations. This doesn’t look like a money grab to me.

At the end of the day a 17y/o has been the victim of a violent sexual assault and there needs to be serious recriminations.

dplank
Hall of Famer

He deserves due process like anyone else. Had a similar experience on my dorm floor as a freshman in college, a senior from HS just crashed a party and had sex with a guy - she was absolutely the one who made that happen, wasn’t rapey at all. Apparently got busted by her parents so she lied and said she was raped to take the heat off of herself. The guy ended up kicked out of school.

No idea what happened with this Ariaza story but feel it’s important to let a court and facts drive the outcome, not public outrage. He may very well have done something awful, I have absolutely no idea.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Lets stop defending bad people. And lets ABSOLUTELY stop the notion that most rape are fake "because I know a guy". Terrible

I would have drafted Araiza (and I think I flat out did in the "what would you do" thread post draft)

I'd have been ashamed of that pick now though
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 am Lets stop defending bad people. And lets ABSOLUTELY stop the notion that most rape are fake "because I know a guy". Terrible

I would have drafted Araiza (and I think I flat out did in the "what would you do" thread post draft)

Well said RichH :clap:
Can’t appreciate this post enough :thumbsup:

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:24 am Lets stop defending bad people. And lets ABSOLUTELY stop the notion that most rape are fake "because I know a guy". Terrible

How about the legal system does it’s thing and then judgement can be passed. The team decided the risk wasn’t worth the backlash which is their prerogative. Other than that not one single person besides those who were there know the full details.

Nobody said most rapes are fake, an example was given of a false allegation, that’s it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Correct....Why the concept of our legal system and due process confounds some folks, and they just are so eager to pass their own judgement with little to no knowledge of the facts, continues to amaze me. Ego's are a bitch, people just can't get over them. People who take due process as a defense of rape are just being assholes and liars. If the guy did it, burn his ass at the stake for all I care. We all know rapes happen and we all know that false accusations also happen. He deserves due process just like every other person does, full stop. No one is defending anything or taking any sides, and this is why the troll is blocked (shakes fist at the quoting feature). Seriously, you can take this example and apply it throughout any posting type and see his schtick - take something someone says completely out of context then paint them as an ass when it's not at all what they said. Eat shit troll.
karhu
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:42 pm Correct....Why the concept of our legal system and due process confounds some folks, and they just are so eager to pass their own judgement with little to no knowledge of the facts, continues to amaze me. Ego's are a bitch, people just can't get over them. People who take due process as a defense of rape are just being assholes and liars. If the guy did it, burn his ass at the stake for all I care. We all know rapes happen and we all know that false accusations also happen. He deserves due process just like every other person does, full stop. No one is defending anything or taking any sides, and this is why the troll is blocked (shakes fist at the quoting feature). Seriously, you can take this example and apply it throughout any posting type and see his schtick - take something someone says completely out of context then paint them as an ass when it's not at all what they said. Eat shit troll.
There's no evidence that Araiza's right to due process has been questioned, let alone threatened. It certainly hasn't been impinged.

But feel free to remind us of who you've blocked and why, and shake a fist or two at him and tell him to eat shit and tell us again that you don't care. That's time well spent.

Speaking of which, a dozen more words and I'll stop having fun with this post.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Congrats on joining Rich in the block party! You fall into the category of "I have to be the smartest guy in the room or I'll act like a dick until the actual smartest guy in the room leaves". Well played!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:52 pm Congrats on joining Rich in the block party! You fall into the category of "I have to be the smartest guy in the room or I'll act like a dick until the actual smartest guy in the room leaves". Well played!
And Dplank wept because there was no one else left to block
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:52 pm Congrats on joining Rich in the block party! You fall into the category of "I have to be the smartest guy in the room or I'll act like a dick until the actual smartest guy in the room leaves". Well played!
Just as well there are 1,586 members of this message board dplank, otherwise you might have been in danger of talking to yourself by the end of the season at the rate you're blocking folk! :lol:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 pm
Just as well there are 1,586 members of this message board dplank, otherwise you might have been in danger of talking to yourself by the end of the season at the rate you're blocking folk! :lol:
Imagine if he was as angry at the rapists as much as random message board posters
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

:lol: @RichH55

UOK
Site Admin

This thread is getting dangerously close to political/lock territory. Let's move along.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This is a great point.

Not that the mods here will ever do anything. Quite the opposite. They actually defend Rich which is why I’ll be posting here less and less going forward. Tired of the double standard bullshit.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

You know something, plank?

The threat or notification of your intent to block or of actually blocking someone does not help your persuasive abilities at all.

I have blocked a shitload of people because I thought they said something that was really obnoxious and, on the other hand, I would expect that I've been blocked a few times myself. I've never made a thing out of it and I always unblock them after a while and if someone blocks me its no skin off my ass, who cares..

I mean, block your head off if you want but please keep it to yourself - nobody here really cares and it becomes tediously distracting to the worthy posts that you do contribute. Why make a big deal out of it?

The way you keep squawking about blocking people reminds me of a control mechanism like my grandma would use on little kids and she was mean as fucking hell.

Just my two cents.
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 pm
This made me laugh :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS