Post draft free agency needs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Ok I think that's a fair interpretation @Moriarty "Make him earn his spot" stuff. Many of us wondered if Herbert wouldn't be better in this scheme but then he struggled in that first PS game while Monty didn't play... things have gotten interesting. Montgomery getting "benched" could certainly diminish his value goring forward (same problem as Tevin Jenkins is facing) but it seems like Monty has enough good tape that a power/gap scheme team will want him even if the Bears don't.
xyt in the discord chats
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:30 am A player will take an lesser deal with another team vs with their current team due to the "respect" aspect.

$$ = Respect in the NFL (and really anywhere, to be honest)

There is a concept called the Hometown Premium
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty - I know you are probably low man on Montgomery around here

What contract would you be comfortable with for him going forward? Just curious (or if you wouldn't bring him back at any price)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

It all seems a bit odd for a player whose peers consider him one of the top 100 players in the league.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:51 pm Moriarty - I know you are probably low man on Montgomery around here

What contract would you be comfortable with for him going forward? Just curious (or if you wouldn't bring him back at any price)
I think that's probably true.

It's kinda hard to definitively say right now, because he's been so inconsistent - bad year, good year, good 1/2 year, bad 1/2 year.
And we don't know if/how much Nagy factors in.
And we don't know if he suits the new offense at all.

If there were no new information (some injury or disease that keeps him out all year, but no impact going forward):
It would depend heavily on how others looked in his absence. Maybe 1yr/1-4M, maybe nothing.

If he puts up a stat line like 2021 (225 / 849 = 3.77 ypc, 42 rec):
Thanks and good luck

If he puts up a stat line like the avg of his first 3 years (238 / 936 = 3.93 ypc, 40 rec)
Probably something small, with limited bonus/guaranteed (1-2yrs / 1-3M per), but I'd be looking for a cheaper and better replacement immediately

If he puts up a stat line like his only good season (2020) (247 / 1070 = 4.33 ypc, 54 rec)
Then it gets a bit tricky. It'd be nice having him to help Fields. But with 2 solid years and 2 bad, it's still hard to trust him. And I just don't believe in paying out for HB, unless they're superstar special. Maybe try for fewer years and/or incentives.

If he puts up a stat line like an actual top HB (which he's never done, college or pro)
Hard to say what you give for 1 great year out of nowhere. Not going to spend much effort contemplating that one, though.

But the above also assumes that how the other backs perform relative to him is still fairly similar to 2021.
If, for example, DM looks better...but Herbert gets a few starts and is even more superior than 2021 - then that doesn't boost him much.
Or if DM looks miserable...but everyone else is even worse (very possible, given the first look at the OL), then maybe you cut him some slack. But maybe not, because I've pointed out ypc was an issue for him in college, too.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Every RB who played for other coaches had significantly better ypc either before or after playing for Nagy. Montgomery stands out on film. His stats to date don't measure up to his talent.

I'm really keen to see what he can do without Nagy even with an OL still expected to be lacklustre.