The "I Hate My Job" Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I was checking on insurance if I were to retire now (not happening, have 3 kids' college education to pay on). It would cost me, thru COBRA, $834 per month. That is some expensive shit there. I would never pay that amount and would shop around big time. Most of my co-workers who have retired from probation work part time in order to pay for insurance.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I recently got some decent news at work. We have been training sub par candidates. Not all of them but even one adds a level of angst. I literally trained a boss of mine who refused to get out of the car on a gun call. Waited until I made sure it was safe.

My new head boss got a lot of things wrong and generally is a chode. Literally an idiot pussy whom is more interested in appeasing the mob then doing a good job or even the right thing.

However he promoted a few people to the right spots and is in the process of moving some bad ones around. This isnt because of his competence rather lack there of and the right guy maneuvering things around. It's a wierd internal political system.

So with this new admin groupings, we supposedly will be able to weed out some incompetence. If it's true it could be a gamechanger. It's still a long road to hoe, but atleast there is a pathway.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Good luck and I hope it works out for you .
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Starting my hardscape season with a large driveway project. I use 2 main suppliers in my area for materials:
Supplier A is a tad smaller but sends me multiple referrals a year and I know everyone that works there by name. I can pull in and ask for materials to be loaded while I run up to the office to pay. They give me firm delivery dates and go out of their way to take care of the contractors they deal with.

Supplier B is the epitome of corporate run. Some things they do just don't make sense from a business point, but they generally have a much better supply in stock. They have multiple sales people that have a commission built into their salaries. I've seen some sales people removing tags on materials that other people have placed to reserve a paid for order. I have personally had materials that I bought sold out from under me. I hate dealing with this company, but sometimes they have the materials and no one else does.

Gues who I had to deal with for the driveway project? Had 12.5 pallets delivered in light brown and dark brown, with the dark brown to be randomly speckled through the main pattern to add some color contrast. Got 1/3 of the way through the 2nd pallet of the "dark brown" and realize its not brown, its grey. Some materials have a light/dark variance to the product. This grey's dark variance looked close enough to the Brown that I didn't notice until I hit the 4th layer and the variance lightened significantly.

While the responsibility is mine to check the materials when they come in to ensure everything is as they should be, these pallets were unloaded on a very busy street and I was holding traffic for the delivery guy, and he stacked them two high and tight so I didn't have the ability to even see the label until yesterday. The shipment order said the color was right so I let myself assume...

I could have finished laying the pavers yesterday, now I'm stuck waiting for the company to get me the pallet they were supposed to deliver...
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Atkins that shit is going on everywhere right now. A lot of my family are in trade work. They have all been complaining about wrong deliveries. Weather it be non treated vs treated lumber, to complete wrong amounts or wrong product, to my brother who work in power lines getting the wrong lines.

Your post actually put some of their recent complaints in to prospective. 3 years ago those sales reps were able to get away with things more as supply was more prevalent. Now that supply is more of an issue those tricks cause bigger issues.

I remember doing stick building 20 years ago, we got the wrong lumber. It was a rarity. Like it never happened. The next day we got the right plywood. Today that could be a week.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:09 am Atkins that shit is going on everywhere right now. A lot of my family are in trade work. They have all been complaining about wrong deliveries. Weather it be non treated vs treated lumber, to complete wrong amounts or wrong product, to my brother who work in power lines getting the wrong lines.

Your post actually put some of their recent complaints in to prospective. 3 years ago those sales reps were able to get away with things more as supply was more prevalent. Now that supply is more of an issue those tricks cause bigger issues.

I remember doing stick building 20 years ago, we got the wrong lumber. It was a rarity. Like it never happened. The next day we got the right plywood. Today that could be a week.
Yeah I get that things are tough all over. I have issues with this one company that always screws up something when I go in there, either intentionally or just because they're so big they get goof balls in there that don't know or care about their job. Just hate dealing with them.

On the plus side, the customer loves me because I was willing to pick up what I laid down, and go through the motions to actually get what she asked for. Got a plate of chocolate chip cookies Friday. (I feel absolutely weird when a customer tips me cash. But I am completely shameless in suggesting a home made baked good as tip).
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Jesus Fucking Christ people are stupid.

Stupid.

I’m working with someone who is the reason why brothers and sisters shouldn’t fuck.

More later….
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Except for that material snapfu that caused me to lose some time on the big driveway, my season has been going pretty well...until just now.
I want to preface rant this by saying that I've know the customer for about 20 years and he's a big fan of my work and always has nice things to say about the pictures I post.
So my process is very customer friendly and I try my best to not be pushy except for making people pick out materials in person so they can't say I didn't get what they wanted.
I start by measuring the area and getting a ball park price range for the customer to consider (based on materials and extras that I'm capable of providing), and if they're OK with that then I proceed to laying down a rope or paint as applicable to get a firm layout for the customer to approve. I take pictures and get exact measurements. After they get materials picked out, I zero in on a final cost, give a rough start date and give about a weeks notice before when I'm showing up.
1st issue: My friend, after I got through all this, and I have the layout dug, and I have the base stone mostly installed calls me at 9:30 pm and asks: So when can I approve the layout? I say, you already did. Him, his wife and I spent 2 hours moving the rope around during the estimate to get it to the perfect shape that they agreed on. (basically an 18x18 with a circular bump out on the corner, but with more gradual curves) I had a series of measurements that were basically x/y coordinates off the 2 foundations I'm working off. (2' from wall, point is 18'. 3' = 18.4'. 4' = 19.2' etc.) and I follow the arc in a connect the dots fashion. So he remembered the top of the arc extended 6.5' beyond the foundation and he was confusing that with the diameter instead of the radius so he thought the circular bump would only be a 6.5' circle.
2nd issue: The overall height of the patio. During the layout we went back and forth over the need for 1 vs 2 steps to get into his back door. I specifically tell him if we stay down at this level we need 2 steps. If I raise the patio up, you'll only need 1 step, but we'll need a bit more topsoil to ramp up to the height where we're building it up to. After looking at the options, the guy decides he only wants 1 step. and we should raise the patio up to height b. I've been on this job 6 days with being off for July 4th and a rain day, but we're well into week 2. I have 1/2 the pavers laid out. He calls me tonight at 9:30. The patio is way too high! we need to lower it! I didn't realize it would be so high even though we specifically went over how high it would be! They are professing that they know I'll have to charge them to fix the issue, but there is a lot that will go into "fixing" this.
-I have to pick up the pavers I already laid and restack them on a pallet.
-I have to move the 3 other pallets of material that are stacked in front of the only gate into the back yard.
-I have to remove 7 inches of base stone over a 430sf area, and find a place to put it so I don't waste 8 tons of material
-I have to re-grade and re-tamp the base then hope I don't have to answer questions about the layout again
-then start re-laying pavers and maybe get off that property by next Friday when I could have been done by Monday.

These are the only the 2 big ones. The guy is a classic over-communicator and wants me to explain how what and why I'm doing what I'm doing. If I sit down for 5 minutes and he see me, he comes out and turns my 5 minutes into 20. I had to tell him that most customers just say "make it look good" and I don't see them until they come out to hand me the check. I'm stuck balancing business and friendship. I'm also stuck doing a cost analysis and trying to see how much I have to charge him for re-doing work that was approved.

Honestly, If he wasn't a friend, I would say "why don't you pay me for what I've done so far, and you can get someone else to finish." I'm that level frustrated and I've only approached this level before
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Venting time

Shits getting bad. I know lots of people work long crazy hours etc. So my bitching may not be 100% warranted to some but I'm still going to bitch.

Overtime is through the roof. This month I have likely 1 day I will not come in early or stay late. That day is tomorrow, or so i hope but who the fuck knows. Last month I had 3 of those days. The two months prior I had 2, 4 of those days. The month before that going well in to last year are not much better. Add on top of that the special tasks I do occasionally on my off days.

Working the night shift and constantly just bouncing from 6p to 6a or 10p to 11a is destroying me, and everyone I work with. You would think the money is nice but between taxes amd eating in my squad it doesnt seem like that much more. Plus I essentially stopped working out which sucks but in the balance it's hard to maintain.

So we had a meeting with a boss. This fucking cunt bag. She says we should all start pitching in and work on our off days. Why have off days when you can work more!

She also suggested in lowering our minimum staffing levels. Our minimums are from the 80s when the county was 200k people less. We only run on minimums and that level is currently dangerous as is. We are one of the fastest growing counties in the state. To think she finds it feasible to do more with less is asinine.

She ended the meeting by saying, that she has over 200 hours of time off to use so she wont be in on mondays or fridays for the rest of the year.

I think a mutiny is brewing
Xee
Site Admin

Sorry to hear that, @mmmc_35. I don't know what line of work you're in but what are the options for doing the same thing somewhere else? It doesn't sound like things will change there any time soon.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:50 pm Sorry to hear that, @mmmc_35. I don't know what line of work you're in but what are the options for doing the same thing somewhere else? It doesn't sound like things will change there any time soon.
It is a possibility, I'm a cop. Every department is struggling to get people so I could get hired almost anywhere. Its definitely been on my family's radar.

The November election could make some changes but its doubtful. Even though the guy up for reelection is a total fuck. He spent most of the training budget to essentially go on vacation. Government waste at its finest. He also essentially changed our recruiting to only search for a much rarer candidates. We are approximately 20% under our staffing numbers as a whole. My division is even worse.

Yeah the family is has been looking at alternatives. My buddy just quit and started a lawn care buisness. Making more money and less time.
reggieg87
Rookie

start a youtube channel. never know in a few years could be making a bit of money a month. start with your niche and see what you can do...
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I finally got my 1st shift spot for the next year. Holy shit I didn't realize how much nights kicked my ass. I was sleeping 4-5 hours feeling like crap. It just kills you slowly. Gained 20lbs in the last 5 ish years.

1 month in sleeping better. Eating better. Still have to figure some gym scheduling out. Down 8lbs. I'm less productive around the house because I'm home during buisness hours less.

It's just a completely different. 20 years of shift work essentially. The new spot is a different world, but in a good way. In a year its gonna be hard to go back nights
UOK
Site Admin

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:46 pm So I finally got my 1st shift spot for the next year. Holy shit I didn't realize how much nights kicked my ass. I was sleeping 4-5 hours feeling like crap. It just kills you slowly. Gained 20lbs in the last 5 ish years.

1 month in sleeping better. Eating better. Still have to figure some gym scheduling out. Down 8lbs. I'm less productive around the house because I'm home during buisness hours less.

It's just a completely different. 20 years of shift work essentially. The new spot is a different world, but in a good way. In a year its gonna be hard to go back nights
That's a long time to be on thirds. I did overnights for nearly 3 years and was very done with it by the time I moved to second shift. It's peaceful and such to work while others are asleep, but you miss out on a ton of activities and your sleep cycle is basically shot so long as you try to keep up social appearances.

I don't miss it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not necessarily hating on my job this week, but just shocked at the going on in my little burg. 15 yr old shooting up 3 houses ends up getting his dad shot as they went along on another drive by. Instead of driving by the pulled in the peoples' drive way. Wrong move. Those peeps came out firing and the dad was shot and was life flighted to Peoria. This shooting took place within a block of my home. So the 15 yr old was found to be in the middle of a stolen/selling guns ring in the area. He has also been pegged for numerous break ins in the area.

Man, the age of people doing some serious shit just keeps getting younger.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have been in this county for 17 yrs and last week a new assistant state's attorney started. This makes the 23rd assistant I have dealt with in those 17 yrs. Pretty sad. Most of these assistants received no training and have been thrown to the wolves. And they wonder why there has been no consistency in that office.
karhu
Head Coach

I've been freelancing for a few years after losing my corporate job in a fire sale, finding myself unauthorized to work in the country we were living in, returning to the States just in time for the pandemic, and being guilty of hitting my mid-50s.

Got serious questions about the direction this organization is taking. And kinda hate my boss most days.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
dplank
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:50 pm I've been freelancing for a few years after losing my corporate job in a fire sale, finding myself unauthorized to work in the country we were living in, returning to the States just in time for the pandemic, and being guilty of hitting my mid-50s.

Got serious questions about the direction this organization is taking. And kinda hate my boss most days.
What are you freelancing? Also, what are your thoughts on The Idles?
karhu
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:20 am
karhu wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:50 pm I've been freelancing for a few years after losing my corporate job in a fire sale, finding myself unauthorized to work in the country we were living in, returning to the States just in time for the pandemic, and being guilty of hitting my mid-50s.

What are you freelancing? Also, what are your thoughts on The Idles?
Writing and editing. Mostly B2B, some B2C, and some all over the place. All ghostwritten, so my portfolio's mum...and as of January, everyone thinks they've got an app that can do my job.

For me, Idles didn't make it past the sugar-rush stage. Liked 'em for a week. I don't let anyone force me to pick sides in other people's beefs, but in this case Sleaford Mods has a ton of staying power in my head, and Idles just didn't. How about you?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

dplank
Hall of Famer

I like them both, but with both it’s situational and in doses. I hang out mostly with 30 somethings who all are punk heads, so when we are out by the pool drinking and stuff they’re in rotation along with my childhood favorites like Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Fugazi, etc and the newer ones like Mods, Chats, Off! and all that . Mods remind me of Ministry at times (compliment).

But half of what I listen to is mellow as hell (Radiohead, etc). And I like some metal (mostly older, Tool Metallica etc), and some old ass twangy country (Willie, Merle, Sturgill, etc) and even Cumbia lol. And of course being 52, I’m still into all the 90s stuff. I’m all over the place.
wab
Mod

My job has been dreadfully slow lately. Structural changes, leadership changes, work realignments...it's completely emptied my plate. I'm EXTREMELY grateful to not be on the chopping block given all of it, and it's nice to have a breather after being all gas no brakes for two years coming out of the pandemic...but man I'm bored.
karhu
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:19 pm I like them both, but with both it’s situational and in doses. I hang out mostly with 30 somethings who all are punk heads, so when we are out by the pool drinking and stuff they’re in rotation along with my childhood favorites like Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Fugazi, etc and the newer ones like Mods, Chats, Off! and all that . Mods remind me of Ministry at times (compliment).

But half of what I listen to is mellow as hell (Radiohead, etc). And I like some metal (mostly older, Tool Metallica etc), and some old ass twangy country (Willie, Merle, Sturgill, etc) and even Cumbia lol. And of course being 52, I’m still into all the 90s stuff. I’m all over the place.
I've got all of two years on you, so that all checks out. Very cool that kids that age still listen to classical music. I mostly hang out with 8-to-11-year-olds (one of each, to be exact). My third-grader likes X and chose "I Against I" as his Little League walkup music. My sixth-grader likes the Smiths ("This guy's hilarious! The music's really good. He's joking, right? I love it.") They're both out of their Imagine Dragons phases, thank god, and quicker than I stopped listening to Styx when I was their age.

Weird how my tastes have diversified and pushed out toward the edges over time. When I work, it's all Bach and ars antiqua/ars nova, which I only got into in the last year or so. More interested in stuff like High on Fire and the Melvins than I used to be, and near-escape-velocity stuff like the Repos and Rudimentary Peni. And somehow my holy trinity is still Scott Miller, Bob Pollard, and Mark Stewart (Stew, not the guy from the Eurythmics).

dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea man, the taste changes are wild. I’ve come back to so much 80s stuff I used to hate in my skate punk days - Smiths I LOVE now (that’s great your kid likes them!) Depeche Mode, Echo, Cure - all that stuff was for “goth losers” but now i look back and realize they were right and I was just a dick lol. I love freaking Michael Jackson now, my younger me would kick the shit out of older me. Maybe it’s because I’m not so self conscious anymore, I dunno.

Speaking of Melvins, if you haven’t tried it yet, Jello Biafra did two killer albums with the Melvins that I can’t recommend enough.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:26 pm My job has been dreadfully slow lately. Structural changes, leadership changes, work realignments...it's completely emptied my plate. I'm EXTREMELY grateful to not be on the chopping block given all of it, and it's nice to have a breather after being all gas no brakes for two years coming out of the pandemic...but man I'm bored.
Is it because you have more responsibility or things are generally slow? I have seen as you move up, the busy work decreases but the decisions can be bigger.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:22 pm
wab wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:26 pm My job has been dreadfully slow lately. Structural changes, leadership changes, work realignments...it's completely emptied my plate. I'm EXTREMELY grateful to not be on the chopping block given all of it, and it's nice to have a breather after being all gas no brakes for two years coming out of the pandemic...but man I'm bored.
Is it because you have more responsibility or things are generally slow? I have seen as you move up, the busy work decreases but the decisions can be bigger.
I would say it’s a combination of both. I have more people under me know, so that’s taken a lot off my plate, but we also don’t have many projects on the books right now because of some work realignments in my area.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

. @wab this is your chance to be creative. Develop new tools for your team like training docs and pull together Best Of examples for all major deliverables. Reach out to old contacts and drum up some new business even if you're not a sales guy primarily. Lots of people have changed jobs in the last couple of years - find out how it's going at their new gigs. Can you continue to work together in some capacity? Do some online training during work hours. Figure out how new tech can help your team - I've been experimenting with generative AI to repurpose old content that is still relevant today - essentially plugging in new numbers to old memos and reports that I wrote during times when business conditions were similar.
xyt in the discord chats
karhu
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:25 am
Speaking of Melvins, if you haven’t tried it yet, Jello Biafra did two killer albums with the Melvins that I can’t recommend enough.
I never caught those; thanks for the nudge. I'll ante with Amyl and the Sniffers. Same deal: two albums as of now, both like running an extension cord to your IV...in a good way.

dplank
Hall of Famer

Thx!

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Part of my job is to send referrals/petition recommendations to the State's Attorneys Office. They do not need to take my suggestions, most of the time they do, other times they modify them to make a deal with the kid's attorney.

Yesterday the Judge was pissed (another story altogether) and rejected the agreement/plea offer that the State and the PD had agreed upon. He was giving the State's Attorney hell for presenting the offer. She in turn replied, " well, I had talked with probation and these were there recommendations." The bitch tried to throw me under the bus. Well, she is going to have hell to pay now. I have never really liked her. She was a long time public defender who has recently switched sides. I know of a current situation that she is effing up, so I am going to the Judge to fill him in on her ignorance. She has fucked with the wrong person.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:14 am Part of my job is to send referrals/petition recommendations to the State's Attorneys Office. They do not need to take my suggestions, most of the time they do, other times they modify them to make a deal with the kid's attorney.

Yesterday the Judge was pissed (another story altogether) and rejected the agreement/plea offer that the State and the PD had agreed upon. He was giving the State's Attorney hell for presenting the offer. She in turn replied, " well, I had talked with probation and these were there recommendations." The bitch tried to throw me under the bus. Well, she is going to have hell to pay now. I have never really liked her. She was a long time public defender who has recently switched sides. I know of a current situation that she is effing up, so I am going to the Judge to fill him in on her ignorance. She has fucked with the wrong person.
Bury the bitch.

That's my current moto. My department refuses to allow shitty people to fail from training. I get asked by my coworkers what to do. Bury them and save the documents. Bury them. Push them until they die, and save all your records. Don't go gentle into that good night. RAGE.

I just picked up a guy on federal probation. On bail for homicide. On bail for another arrest too. Likely called out a hit that was acted on. Picked up on fed weight. He will be out soon enough. (Hes actually a hysterical guy, but terrible too)

You have the ability to stand up to some bullshit. Rage, rage against the diying of the light. Good luck.