Week 3 // Bears (1-1) vs Texans (0-1-1)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Texans defense held Matt Ryan and Russel Wilson to a 76.7 rating and are ranked 9th in points allowed.

I don't know if I see this being a cakewalk for us.

Feels more and more that this season will be about if and how we develop -- which many of us expected -- still feels like I've danced this dance before.

Bears 17
Texans 10
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
docc
Head Coach

After this game we should know what this team is...
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:43 pm Texans defense held Matt Ryan and Russel Wilson to a 76.7 rating and are ranked 9th in points allowed.

Feels more and more that this season will be about if and how we develop -- which many of us expected -- still feels like I've danced this dance before.

Bears 17
Texans 10
Yes, agree completely. It's really insane when you think about it. No matter what coaches we hire, no matter what QB's we acquire, it's the same dance over and over again. No WR's ever seem to run open, pass protection always seems to give up ungodly pressure, and the QB always looks lost and slow within the offensive structure. Nothing ever 'clicks'. Year after year after year.
spudbear
MVP

My meathead fan in me is still positive in spite of the cheesehead stomp. Bears were still somewhat in the game last Sunday in the 4th qtr, and the Texans do not have Erin-Aaron lining up in their backfield.
Bears pound the ball with the running game, Fields actually sells play-action to spring open some intermediate routes and uses the rollout effectively. DomRob watches more tape and has a good bounce back game, Roquan gets fired up and makes a few big plays, the rookie DB's sneak up on the Lovies and generate a few turnovers.

CHI - 34
HOU - 17
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 am
G08 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:43 pm Texans defense held Matt Ryan and Russel Wilson to a 76.7 rating and are ranked 9th in points allowed.

Bears 17
Texans 10
Yes, agree completely. It's really insane when you think about it. No matter what coaches we hire, no matter what QB's we acquire, it's the same dance over and over again. No WR's ever seem to run open, pass protection always seems to give up ungodly pressure, and the QB always looks lost and slow within the offensive structure. Nothing ever 'clicks'. Year after year after year.
It's the same shit because ownership has no fucking idea what they are doing. We hire new/inexperienced GMs who might not know what the fuck they are doing, and then they go and hire first-time head coaches who also might not know what the fuck they are doing.

It's getting old. I'm getting old :rofl:

That being said, I need to temper my fanaticism and just watch for development / signs of progress. Again.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
IE
Hall of Famer

4 years versus 2 games.

Last week we were saying "haha Carolina and NY and Niners such & such who didn't draft JF1". Now he's a turd on toast.

Really? It's ownership already?

I think Flus is frigging awesome and really like Getsy so far.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I guess it kinda helps when you guys whine a lot - my delayed gratification is gonna be like Old Faithful rises again.

:transform:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

I'm cautiously optimistic about Ryan Poles. He seems to be taking the longer view. He inherited an old roster with myriad holes and limited draft capital. IMO, nothing would make him happier than to see a few young core players emerge - especially Justin Fields - and take enough losses to be drafting in the top 5/10 next April. This is about as complete a rebuild as one will see in the NFL - even more holdover players will be launched prior to next season.

The open question is Fields. I hope he's the guy - it accelerates the rebuild - but I don't think the GM is going to force it.

As for Eberflus, he doesn't have the horses in the front 7 - particularly at DT and LB - to run his defense the way he wants to. Getsy? Not sure - like his run game concepts - haven't seen anything in the passing game - not sure how much is him and how much is Fields, the line and the WRs
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:50 pm 4 years versus 2 games.

Last week we were saying "haha Carolina and NY and Niners such & such who didn't draft JF1". Now he's a turd on toast.

Again...literally NO ONE has said he's a turd.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Bears 30
Texans 17

Think the difference is JF1 will be home and not struggle with a silent run NFL offense. Kmet and Mooney were open underneath several times and Fields simply got caught looking down field. He starts taking the 4-5 yard plays and gets some rhythm this game and Mills gifts us a TD on the other side to seal the game.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lets go chicago bum slayers
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A nice little summary of the Texans for those who don't follow other teams all that closely:
Texans can’t find a way to win this season

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/9/19/ ... t-opponent
malagabears
Journeyman

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Shit, I'm only in Chicago. Every time I wake up I think we beat Green Bay last week. When I was home after the first game it was worse. I'd wake up and think we only won because it was a rainstorm. When I was at work, I wanted to be watching the game. When I was watching the game all I could think about was finding something that's wrong.

Every minute I watch the Green Bay replay on NFL+ I get weaker. Every minute Aaron Rodgers spends at practice he gets better.

I need to put that behind me now. So I asked to watch another game this Sunday. And for my sins, they scheduled one. This time it's the Texans.

Bears 27
Texans 14

VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I think we get this one, but it's a tougher game than it ought to be.
Bears: 24
Texans:21
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

malagabears wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 am
Honestly. This doesn't concern me. I'd actually want someone like Sanborn or Weatherford out there to see what they can do. We've all been bitching about Roquan, let's see if our belly aching is justified.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:17 am
malagabears wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 am
Honestly. This doesn't concern me. I'd actually want someone like Sanborn or Weatherford out there to see what they can do. We've all been bitching about Roquan, let's see if our belly aching is justified.
I would assume Morrow takes Roquan's spot and Weatherford or Sanborn step in at MLB.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:21 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:17 am

I would assume Morrow takes Roquan's spot and Weatherford or Sanborn step in at MLB.
Which is fine. We have the control sample of two games. Now let's plug in a different combination and see if our run defense improves. Certainly can't get much worse.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:39 pm
IE wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:50 pm 4 years versus 2 games.

It's a figure of speech, man - you know that.

Plank mentioned something above that is true but IMO deserves to be looked at differently.

Yes - it does seem like this offense & team look just like the offensive debacles under Nagy/Trubisky (mostly) looked against all but the biggest bums for several years. That definitely is frustrating.

But new/developing offenses can initially look just as bad as fundamentally bad offenses, so we need to be careful or more patient about what we're really observing. The former might show evidence of being well conceived, trying to do the right things and just sputtering because of a lack of familiarity and timing/anticipation between players. The latter might be ill-conceived or arrogant or transparent or whatever. They're not the same - but in the short run they look the same (bad).
Middleguard
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:40 pm Bears 17- Texans 13

Edit: Looks like Moriarty beat me to this score

If duplicates aren't allowed I'll go Bears 17- Texans 12
Duplicate predictions count toward your 9 qualifying predictions, and I count them when I make my final tally. They do not qualify for a spot among weekly winners or for the IE award (for a perfect prediction) which I announce at the end of the season (but those are honorary, not financial, awards).
Which prediction do you want me to score?
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 am
wab wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:39 pm

Plank mentioned something above that is true but IMO deserves to be looked at differently.

Yes - it does seem like this offense & team look just like the offensive debacles under Nagy/Trubisky (mostly) looked against all but the biggest bums for several years. That definitely is frustrating.

But new/developing offenses can initially look just as bad as fundamentally bad offenses, so we need to be careful or more patient about what we're really observing. The former might show evidence of being well conceived, trying to do the right things and just sputtering because of a lack of familiarity and timing/anticipation between players. The latter might be ill-conceived or arrogant or transparent or whatever. They're not the same - but in the short run they look the same (bad).
I think what's happening here is that everyone knows that it's early and things will hopefully get a lot better. But we can also point out the annoying stuff that's happening right now, or note concerns about how things are trending, and be frustrated by it. Both of those things can be true at the same time. It seems like you keep thinking that because we point out a negative that we aren't aware of those mitigating factors. Speaking for myself at least, I'm fully aware and have said repeatedly that I'm waiting until Week 8 before I pass any sort of judgement. I think Rich is the only one who just consistently hates Fields and is negative about him all the time, everyone else is just pointing out trends, signs, CONCERNS, things they'd like to see change, etc - but are fully aware more time is needed to play this all out. It's ok to point out things that concern you and it doesn't mean that we aren't being patient. It's all good!
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:59 am

I think what's happening here is that everyone knows that it's early and things will hopefully get a lot better. But we can also point out the annoying stuff that's happening right now, or note concerns about how things are trending, and be frustrated by it. Both of those things can be true at the same time. It seems like you keep thinking that because we point out a negative that we aren't aware of those mitigating factors. Speaking for myself at least, I'm fully aware and have said repeatedly that I'm waiting until Week 8 before I pass any sort of judgement. I think Rich is the only one who just consistently hates Fields and is negative about him all the time, everyone else is just pointing out trends, signs, CONCERNS, things they'd like to see change, etc - but are fully aware more time is needed to play this all out. It's ok to point out things that concern you and it doesn't mean that we aren't being patient. It's all good!
I agree of course it is normal to discuss what people like & don't like about a game, or series or single play. I do know that is what most people mean. But also some folks just like to be negative and appear to enjoy other people's misery, or trying to make people miserable - and that is what I'm reacting to mostly. I struggle to understand the concept of someone being a perpetually negative "fan" of a team.

I think one hangup I've had here is the term "concern" concerns me (lol). When it is used it usually transcends a given game. I know I need to understand it is usually meant in terms of "disappointment in the trajectory not being what people hoped". Even in those case I see expectations that aren't reflective of how most QBs start off - so that's one thing. And then a lot of times with the other context of what is said it sounds like people are starting to dismiss JF1 more broadly. And as we've discussed before I don't like some of the unspoken reasons why he seems to get less runway and far fewer excuses than many of his peers. Good is dismissed and bad emphasized. I guess I'm a protective dad. lol
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:59 am

This is of course - Nonsense on my position.

The things I complained about PRE-DRAFT on Fields - are you know - the things he still needs improvement on. And his Rookie season was terrible.

Sure - I had my fun when people said in no limited order:
1) Play him Week 1 of Rookie Season - He will know entire playbook (he did well on this memory test!!!)
2) He's the most accurate QB to ever come out of College (NO QUALIFIERS!)
3) Ferrari out of Garage
4) Hero
5) His Pro Day was so good!!!
(If memory serves someone was super positive on how he ordered a Sandwich? Was that in jest?)

Etc Etc

He's a fantastic athlete (at least in straight line speed), seems to care, seems to work hard, I think he's pretty accurate - But he does not (yet) anticipate, read defenses all that well, AND most importantly get the ball out quickly

Is it negative to acknowledge realities?

Or that the "concerns" that you are now noting - have been the concerns ALL ALONG?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:56 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:40 pm Bears 17- Texans 13

Edit: Looks like Moriarty beat me to this score

If duplicates aren't allowed I'll go Bears 17- Texans 12
Duplicate predictions count toward your 9 qualifying predictions, and I count them when I make my final tally. They do not qualify for a spot among weekly winners or for the IE award (for a perfect prediction) which I announce at the end of the season (but those are honorary, not financial, awards).
So just can't duplicate myself? But I can duplicate other posters - If I get that ?

If so - Ill keep my 1st one since that was my gut
dplank
Hall of Famer

We are gonna pound the Texans
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Based on what both teams have done so far this should be a close, relatively low scoring game.

Bears: 20
Texans: 17
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Based on this video, posted two days ago, I would say it's highly likely Lovie's Beard will also be making the trip.

Dammit look at that! Gorgeous.

circlecitybear
Practice Squad

Close game but Bears win 20 to 13. Kmet finally shows up. Running attack looks good. Passing game opens up a little more and adds balance to the offense.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 pm
Middleguard wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:56 am

So just can't duplicate myself? But I can duplicate other posters - If I get that ?

If so - Ill keep my 1st one since that was my gut
Marshall sticks his head out to see what the weather is like.

Nope, going back in my bunker because it looks like there's going to be Six More Weeks Of Asshole.

(OK seriously, if this guy is giving Middleguard of all people a hard time (who is like the nicest guy and does awesome work on the scores every week / season - sincere thank you sir), I think we've found the problem.)

Just a thought.

Anybody needs me I'll be watching Apocalypse Now Redux (that's the honest truth) and playing GTA.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Lovie's beard is everything