Do we want a trophy?

For you fantasy football weirdos and degenerate gamblers

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

https://www.trophysmack.com/products/vi ... etual-base

If we want to get one, I'll buy it and anyone that wants to chip in a few bucks can do so.

We could make it be $5 buy in that goes to the winner from her on out who then has to get the new winner plate made and pay to have it shipped to the winner (heck I even say if we have a back-to-back winner we waive the buy in fee the next year).

Just an idea, not trying to hijack the league. Although I am 2-0 if the high scoring Butkus division which has the top two high scoring teams and 4 of the top 5. (Talking smack while I can :evilgrin: )
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I bought myself a trophy years ago.

#1 Employee or something like that.

Kept it on my desk and it drove my boss clinically insane to the point where she wanted to take it and pass it around the department. I said no.
dplank
Hall of Famer

My squad absolutely blows
IE
Hall of Famer

Trophy might be fun. I'll be in if you can convince others - but I've found the response rate of the league to be absurdly low. It's like some guys don't even have the internet and use smoke signals to communicate.

I doubt you'll get all those guys to kick in. I couldn't get many to even put 25 at risk to create the money league and have a little more fun.

IMO the entire league needs to be revamped and reduced to 12 teams. 16 is too many. There HAS to be another RB added. And the number of players retained reduced dramatically so people can't hoard. FA is non existent with all these teams and the 14 keepers reduces incentive to trade - people overvalue their bench knowing they can keep them.

I think if some basic rules like this don't change I might start a separate better legacy league and see who wants to join.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not in your league, but I built a kick ass traveling trophy for a league I am in. It is kind of like a Stanley Cup thing. We had the little 1"x3" tiles every year. I just used some 4x4s, painted it gold. Bought a little gold football trophy for the top and 2 football guys for the bottom. Of Course I have not won since I built it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:07 pm Not in your league, but I built a kick ass traveling trophy for a league I am in. It is kind of like a Stanley Cup thing. We had the little 1"x3" tiles every year. I just used some 4x4s, painted it gold. Bought a little gold football trophy for the top and 2 football guys for the bottom. Of Course I have not won since I built it.
I have the same in my league, the winners name is engraved to a plaque that surrounds the base each year, with the year and super bowl score next to it. Ours dates back to….get this…..1988! Yes, I was in high school and we were scoring out of the newspaper box scores! I have it in my office right now, won last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:19 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:07 pm Not in your league, but I built a kick ass traveling trophy for a league I am in. It is kind of like a Stanley Cup thing. We had the little 1"x3" tiles every year. I just used some 4x4s, painted it gold. Bought a little gold football trophy for the top and 2 football guys for the bottom. Of Course I have not won since I built it.
I have the same in my league, the winners name is engraved to a plaque that surrounds the base each year, with the year and super bowl score next to it. Ours dates back to….get this…..1988! Yes, I was in high school and we were scoring out of the newspaper box scores! I have it in my office right now, won last year.
Back in those days, being the commissioner of a league truly sucked, you had to manually add it all together and if you missed something people were blowing up your phone. We were an 8 team league and I think the buy in was $50 and a case of beer for the commissioner. Our first year was 1989 and I ended up with Don "Magic Man" Majkowski as my QB and won. Drafted him the next year and went to last (maybe second to last).
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:28 am Trophy might be fun. I'll be in if you can convince others - but I've found the response rate of the league to be absurdly low. It's like some guys don't even have the internet and use smoke signals to communicate.

I doubt you'll get all those guys to kick in. I couldn't get many to even put 25 at risk to create the money league and have a little more fun.

IMO the entire league needs to be revamped and reduced to 12 teams. 16 is too many. There HAS to be another RB added. And the number of players retained reduced dramatically so people can't hoard. FA is non existent with all these teams and the 14 keepers reduces incentive to trade - people overvalue their bench knowing they can keep them.

I think if some basic rules like this don't change I might start a separate better legacy league and see who wants to join.
Let me know, I'd be interested. If you cut it down to 12 teams, you might not have to reduce how many players are retained as you would have an additional 48 players in the FA pool when the draft started (4 less teams with 14 players). If you add an additional RB you will likely see an earlier run on them. Right now you have 16 being played plus maybe a few more that get played as the flex player. But with 12 teams and having to play 2 RBs, you have 24 being played each week. That means a few teams are playing chumps as their RB2. I think with all the changes that have been made in the NFL to help the passing game / scoring (HELLO RYAN POLES ARE YOU LISTEING :welcome: ) it makes playing 2 RBs in a 12 team league rough.
Umbali
MVP

IE wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:28 am Trophy might be fun. I'll be in if you can convince others - but I've found the response rate of the league to be absurdly low. It's like some guys don't even have the internet and use smoke signals to communicate.

I agree with this. There is almost zero in season movement of pick up because of the format. I enjoy it and even tho I am having a shit year I will continue to build. That being said lets wait a few years for trophy lmao
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

I agree that the league has lost its sparkle and is in need of a refresh. I'd vote Yay to a total revamp of the league if put to a vote.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I think it's tough to say revamp the existing as far as number of teams since you're asking 25% of the league to drop out essentially.

I had mentioned to IE that if enough from this league wanted to start up a brand new dynasty for $, I know we could get others. I sometimes guest on a Bears podcast with 10s of listeners so I'm sure more than a few would be interested.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
IE
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:00 pm I think it's tough to say revamp the existing as far as number of teams since you're asking 25% of the league to drop out essentially.

I had mentioned to IE that if enough from this league wanted to start up a brand new dynasty for $, I know we could get others. I sometimes guest on a Bears podcast with 10s of listeners so I'm sure more than a few would be interested.
Let's get a list of interested folks, float a league along with policies/model. I'd volunteer to admin but don't have to if someone else wants to.

I'll start with my ideas of the ideal league:

- "Keeper" League
- $100 a team (I'm willing to go $200 but whatever)
- 12 teams
- No divisions
- 15 or 16 player teams
- QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex (RB/TE/WR), DST and K (I'm in a league without kickers and I approve this approach but K are fine)
- Full PPR scoring and 6 points for passing TD, otherwise standard scoring
- 6 teams make playoffs based on best record
- 2 byes for teams with best records, and the other 4 play off to determine the semi-finals
- Playoff winnings: first and second place... 900 and 300 ish, depending on what the site costs
- Draft approach: First year has a 10-round full re-draft, leaving an abundance of FA players. 8 keepers the 2nd year and then 10 in the 3rd year and beyond (the concept is to avoid higher availability in the first two years to distribute talent across the league)
- Annual 5 round draft for rookies and including FA
- $100 annual waiver budget (virtual - not paid in) per team. Waiver priority based on dollars first then record in a given week (re-set weekly).
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I"m in but think $100 is the best buy in price.

I think there needs to be a requirement on what you have to keep on the roster

2 QBs
2 RBs
2 WRs
2 TEs
2 Def
2 Kickers
4 "whatevers"

Given the size of our rosters and the fact many people don't keep a second TE, Def and/or Kicker there is simply no one to pick up when you have an injury. I mean people were scrambling to pick up the Colt McCoys of the world.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Also, if you did 12 teams with a round robin, that eats up 11 weeks of the season, so you would start the playoffs in week 12. You still have some team in the NFL having bye weeks, so someone could miss out on a starter for the playoffs. So maybe 2 teams get byes until week 14. Week 12 teams 3-10 play with the winners advancing to play in week 13. The top two teams get the winner in week 14. Big reason to be a top 2 team, no chance of missing a starter for the playoff rounds in weeks 12 and 13. I think no teams have byes week 14 and on.
IE
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:53 pm Also, if you did 12 teams with a round robin, that eats up 11 weeks of the season, so you would start the playoffs in week 12. You still have some team in the NFL having bye weeks, so someone could miss out on a starter for the playoffs. So maybe 2 teams get byes until week 14. Week 12 teams 3-10 play with the winners advancing to play in week 13. The top two teams get the winner in week 14. Big reason to be a top 2 team, no chance of missing a starter for the playoff rounds in weeks 12 and 13. I think no teams have byes week 14 and on.
I think with an 18 week season the fantasy seasons should go all the way through week 17 (championship that week). Why not max the weeks? Everybody plays each other once and then there are a few extra duplicates that the site just randomly generates in the schedule. Some schedules are harder than others but with extra games it smooths that out.

With the major sites (espn, yahoo, cbs) they give you standard options and do all that.

I agree 100 is good.

I also agree that (especially in keeper leagues) there should be maxes by position in what you can keep. Some people hoard RBs or QBs and never play them which sucks. That's just for keepers because 2 isn't enough of any position though.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

I think with a 12 team league you won't need keeper minimums as far as position. Ideally I'd like no K and DST as I'm in one league without them and that's been great.
I like 15 roster spots with 10 keepers and rookie 5 round draft.
I suggest no trade deadline since it's a keeper.
I think the start up draft should be an auction as that's going to be the most equitable. Other option I've seen for non-auction is 2/3 double up. So you normal snake 1 to 12, 12 to 1, but then 12 to 1 again, and then it's the normal 1 to 12 snake thereafter. So it just two rounds where order stays the same.
IE
Hall of Famer

BearsFanInMN wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:27 pm I think with a 12 team league you won't need keeper minimums as far as position. Ideally I'd like no K and DST as I'm in one league without them and that's been great.
I think the start up draft should be an auction as that's going to be the most equitable. Other option I've seen for non-auction is 2/3 double up. So you normal snake 1 to 12, 12 to 1, but then 12 to 1 again, and then it's the normal 1 to 12 snake thereafter. So it just two rounds where order stays the same.
I agree with 12 teams there should be enough FAs especially with a roster of 15. If someone wants to keep 4 QBs they're going to get beat a lot. Agreed on no trade deadline should be year-long. I do like the modified snake approach for the first draft. Auction seems most equitable in the moment but with the rate of change in the NFL it seems like overkill for keeper (maybe not dynasty) and a lot of work and might even discourage some from joining. I suggested the first offseason only 8 keepers to smooth out any initial draft-oriented advantage.

I'm definitely in, and would volunteer to commish if nobody else wants to (not something I have a ton of free time to do). I do think the current league could morph into this, and think it is worth doing a poll because if 4-6 or more people leave it would likely be a tipping point for that league anyway (as it should be - the current configuration is bad). I have no idea how many people would object to the changes and dollars. There have seemed to be 1-3 teams turning over per season, so getting to 12 would be easy it seems. I just think it would be most appropriate to offer that before splintering. But honestly I don't have a ton of interest in staying in the current league even though I'm in first place.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

My preference would be to just do a start up independently. I'd still like to stay in the current one and just have a new one that I was in from the beginning as I like having leagues with some variance. People join and drop out of leagues all the time so those that want both or either can choose. Like I said I'm sure we could easily get to 12. I can reach out and see once we get farther along with confirming details.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:54 pm
BearsFanInMN wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:27 pm I think with a 12 team league you won't need keeper minimums as far as position. Ideally I'd like no K and DST as I'm in one league without them and that's been great.
I agree with 12 teams there should be enough FAs especially with a roster of 15. If someone wants to keep 4 QBs they're going to get beat a lot. Agreed on no trade deadline should be year-long. I do like the modified snake approach for the first draft. Auction seems most equitable in the moment but with the rate of change in the NFL it seems like overkill for keeper (maybe not dynasty) and a lot of work and might even discourage some from joining. I suggested the first offseason only 8 keepers to smooth out any initial draft-oriented advantage.

I'm definitely in, and would volunteer to commish if nobody else wants to (not something I have a ton of free time to do). I do think the current league could morph into this, and think it is worth doing a poll because if 4-6 or more people leave it would likely be a tipping point for that league anyway (as it should be - the current configuration is bad). I have no idea how many people would object to the changes and dollars. There have seemed to be 1-3 teams turning over per season, so getting to 12 would be easy it seems. I just think it would be most appropriate to offer that before splintering. But honestly I don't have a ton of interest in staying in the current league even though I'm in first place.
Well your only in first place because we have stupid tie breaker rules. We both have 2 loses and I handed you both of yours!!!!!!!!!! I should have gotten the bye but I fear the string of injuries I've had coupled with there being ON ONE to pick up is going to have me bow out early.

IE
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:35 pm
IE wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:54 pm

Well your only in first place because we have stupid tie breaker rules. We both have 2 loses and I handed you both of yours!!!!!!!!!! I should have gotten the bye but I fear the string of injuries I've had coupled with there being ON ONE to pick up is going to have me bow out early.

LOL All you had to do to get the bye was score more points. :taunt:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:39 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:35 pm

LOL All you had to do to get the bye was score more points. :taunt:
The last 4 weeks my bench was IR, out, bye, I simply suck and you shouldn't play me. Lots of my wins at the end were just getting lucky.

Points, we don't need no stinking points.

dplank
Hall of Famer

My squad came on late in the season - the perfect blend of failure. Started so badly that I was never in it, then once out of it I came on strong to avoid having a high draft pick.

At least I have Fields to build around.