History

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It's hard for me to get up much enthusiasm for major league baseball anymore. Never have I seen a sport which is so stupid in the way it treats the fans - '94 World Series, constant lockouts and public battles over money. But every now and then, something happens and that old love of the game kicks in. #1: Albert Pujols reached 700 home runs last night, only the 4th player to do so (if one includes Bonds). He joins Hank Aaron as only the 2nd player to do this and have over 3000 hits. No steroid taint, completely clean. I don't believe he ever hit 50 in a season, like Mays and Aaron didn't, just 21 years of steady production. Meanwhile, Aaron Judge is at 60 HRs with 11 games to play. 2 away from breaking Maris' record, which I still consider the real one. Unfortunately, the Red Sox are choosing to walk him intentionally too many times in their series; hopefully other teams will not do so.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I lost interest in baseball about 30 yrs ago. The money paid, the strikes, the pace of the game, I just could not get into it anymore. I enjoyed the Cubs World Series only because my family and friends were all die hards. I look at box scores and may read a story or 2 about the sport weekly. I can't watch it, it is just too slow for me. I used to love it. Played sandlot quite a bit growing up. Playing a few years of softball. Now, no thanks. To be honest, pro sports are turning me off slowly.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:02 am I lost interest in baseball about 30 yrs ago. The money paid, the strikes, the pace of the game, I just could not get into it anymore. I enjoyed the Cubs World Series only because my family and friends were all die hards. I look at box scores and may read a story or 2 about the sport weekly. I can't watch it, it is just too slow for me. I used to love it. Played sandlot quite a bit growing up. Playing a few years of softball. Now, no thanks. To be honest, pro sports are turning me off slowly.
Seems to be common as we get older. I know that I don't have quite the interest in pro sports as I did when younger.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:21 am It's hard for me to get up much enthusiasm for major league baseball anymore. Never have I seen a sport which is so stupid in the way it treats the fans - '94 World Series, constant lockouts and public battles over money. But every now and then, something happens and that old love of the game kicks in. #1: Albert Pujols reached 700 home runs last night, only the 4th player to do so (if one includes Bonds). He joins Hank Aaron as only the 2nd player to do this and have over 3000 hits. No steroid taint, completely clean. I don't believe he ever hit 50 in a season, like Mays and Aaron didn't, just 21 years of steady production. Meanwhile, Aaron Judge is at 60 HRs with 11 games to play. 2 away from breaking Maris' record, which I still consider the real one. Unfortunately, the Red Sox are choosing to walk him intentionally too many times in their series; hopefully other teams will not do so.
Baseball slit it's own throat with me years ago.

The strike. The steroid scandal. The two minutes in between pitches.

I will say though, that if you want a nice relaxing afternoon or evening outside just enjoying life. Go to a Schaumburg Boomers game.