Do you guys really think Justin Fields can take the same strides in year 2 as Josh Allen did

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

karhu
Head Coach

I really didn't want to feed the OP's backlink-spamming strategy or whatever kick he was on for all of five new topics. But his other efforts have fizzled out, so what the heck.

Fields is Fields. Allen is Allen. They were worlds apart as HS players, in college, and as first- and second-year pros. No real comparison, except that their fans have the same accent.

Allen has the best arm I've ever seen. Better than Elway's. He's a more effective runner with better vision than Fields.

Fields throws more accurately across a greater variety of passes than Allen. He's faster and better in the open field, at least in terms of breaking containment and getting up to deeper levels of the defense.

Allen's WRs at Wyoming were bad by Mountain West standards. A big part of his growth as a pro involved learning to read pro defenses and make throws within a pro offense. He started doing that in his second year. Dion Dawkins was the only holdover on his line between his first and second seasons, and Dawkins and Mitch Morse were the only constants between years two and three.

Fields seems to have the inverse problem. I'll bet dollars to donuts he's got a bad habit of looking for an open man, then reading the defense, then throwing. His receivers were so good until he hit Chicago that his approach made a ton of sense. It was good football. But not good preparation for the NFL. And it won't change even with better receivers. Fields has to unlearn a lot of things. Allen just needed to learn a lot of things. That's an enormous difference, and a troubling one for Bears fans.

They're both good, smart, live-armed QBs. But they're otherwise so different, and took such different paths to the league, that comparisons are pretty foolish IMSO, except by way of contrast.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

karhu wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:48 am I really didn't want to feed the OP's backlink-spamming strategy or whatever kick he was on for all of five new topics. But his other efforts have fizzled out, so what the heck.

Fields is Fields. Allen is Allen. They were worlds apart as HS players, in college, and as first- and second-year pros. No real comparison, except that their fans have the same accent.

Allen has the best arm I've ever seen. Better than Elway's. He's a more effective runner with better vision than Fields.

Fields throws more accurately across a greater variety of passes than Allen. He's faster and better in the open field, at least in terms of breaking containment and getting up to deeper levels of the defense.

Allen's WRs at Wyoming were bad by Mountain West standards. A big part of his growth as a pro involved learning to read pro defenses and make throws within a pro offense. He started doing that in his second year. Dion Dawkins was the only holdover on his line between his first and second seasons, and Dawkins and Mitch Morse were the only constants between years two and three.

Fields seems to have the inverse problem. I'll bet dollars to donuts he's got a bad habit of looking for an open man, then reading the defense, then throwing. His receivers were so good until he hit Chicago that his approach made a ton of sense. It was good football. But not good preparation for the NFL. And it won't change even with better receivers. Fields has to unlearn a lot of things. Allen just needed to learn a lot of things. That's an enormous difference, and a troubling one for Bears fans.

They're both good, smart, live-armed QBs. But they're otherwise so different, and took such different paths to the league, that comparisons are pretty foolish IMSO, except by way of contrast.
That back link site is sending out e-mails to everyone who once posted there. They trying to get members to come back. Losing clicks is starting to hurt, I guess. So I am thinking they are out on spam patrol duty too.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
IE
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:28 am That back link site is sending out e-mails to everyone who once posted there. They trying to get members to come back. Losing clicks is starting to hurt, I guess. So I am thinking they are out on spam patrol duty too.
They should learn how to write professionally. Nobody wants to read articles that read that they're written by 7th graders.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Shadow
Assistant Coach

IE wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:58 am
Shadow wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:28 am That back link site is sending out e-mails to everyone who once posted there. They trying to get members to come back. Losing clicks is starting to hurt, I guess. So I am thinking they are out on spam patrol duty too.
They should learn how to write professionally. Nobody wants to read articles that read that they're written by 7th graders.
I think most of them are 7th and 8th graders. j/s
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Maybe this videos on to something? At this point I'm open for anything if Getsy will let him pass more than three times a game.