Tua Tagovailoa Injury

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Don't know if everyone saw Tua's injury. But it was pretty scary. He got thrown to the ground HARD. Hit his back and head HARD. His hands went completely rigid, which apparently is a neuro reaction to severe head trauma. I sure hope he's going to be OK. I'm guessing he will be out for most of the season, if not all. Of course the Dolphins won't be the same team without him, and we have to play them week 9. But the first concern is that he makes a full recovery.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Was at practice with my youngest and missed it but heard it was tough to watch. I haven’t had the nerve to watch replay. Sounds like there’s some good signs big picture-wise, but terrible situation. Hoping for a full recovery.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

It wasn't a Theismann Moment or anything. It wasn't even a hard hit so much as he got whipped to the ground in a clean way.

He had to have had a brain injury with that one. I have no idea what the recovery time for something like that or if you ever actually do recover and you just don't realize you never healed until you're 50 and you can't remember anything.

What it is obviously I hope things are better for him than they looked.
karhu
Head Coach

That was really frightening. Especially since the defender did everything he was supposed to do. Nothing gratuitous about that play from what I've seen.

That sort of thing is why my kids (8 and 10) are playing flag football. My older son played Gaelic football when we lived overseas, and that was about right for me (dad moment here--they made him tackle with one arm, even though he was the youngest kid there, and his form became dangerously impeccable). But we don't have it here, nor rugby.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ne ... e5f9a22b2e

Despite an ongoing investigation as to how he was allowed to return to [Sunday's] game, Tagovailoa was cleared to play in Thursday night’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals where he suffered another much more serious head injury – something one prominent neuroscientist warned of hours before the game even kicked off.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:49 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ne ... e5f9a22b2e

Despite an ongoing investigation as to how he was allowed to return to [Sunday's] game, Tagovailoa was cleared to play in Thursday night’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals where he suffered another much more serious head injury – something one prominent neuroscientist warned of hours before the game even kicked off.
The Players' Union is also getting into why Tua wasn't pulled from last Sunday's game with an apparent concussion and then allowed to play last night. I hope he has a quick recovery.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:49 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ne ... e5f9a22b2e

Oh FFS are you serious? I wasn’t aware. How fucking stupid to put him at risk like that!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Players who suffer a concussion should get an instant medical ban.

A review after 3 game ban.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Dr. Nowinski from Oak Park, IL and a Harvard educated medical doctor specializing in concussions and head trauma, went on to the Dan Lebatard show earlier this week and said that if the Dolphins allow Tua to play, they would be literally putting his life at risk. Concussions can take days or even weeks for the actual damage to show itself. There is going to be a huge fallout from this. The Dolphins and the NFL are going to bear the brunt of the blame. If the NFL AND the Dolphins are smart, they would force Tua to sit a MINIMUM of 8 games. Then have a 3rd party concussion and brain injury institute evaluate Tua. Personally, and I don't know shit, but my guess is that Tua will continue to suffer after effects and symptoms for the next few months. They just aren't showing themselves right now.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I only blame the Dolphins if they coerced him onto playing. If Tua wanted to roll the dice, then its on him and no one else. I'm all for allowing people to make their own decisions and not always protect them from themselves. It's Tua's life and he has to live it. But go back and read the first sentence; If he was coerced, them F the Dolphins.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 pm I only blame the Dolphins if they coerced him onto playing. If Tua wanted to roll the dice, then its on him and no one else. I'm all for allowing people to make their own decisions and not always protect them from themselves. It's Tua's life and he has to live it. But go back and read the first sentence; If he was coerced, them F the Dolphins.
Totally disagree. A football player in the NFL is always going to say that they can go. Their contracts aren't guaranteed, and they are one injury away from losing their income. It's up to the NFL and the coaching staff to do what's right for the long term health of the player. To expect that a player is going to make the right decision for their quality of life 20 years hence is foolish thinking, and it's setting them up for CTE and other debilitating injuries.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:17 pm
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:09 pm I only blame the Dolphins if they coerced him onto playing. If Tua wanted to roll the dice, then its on him and no one else. I'm all for allowing people to make their own decisions and not always protect them from themselves. It's Tua's life and he has to live it. But go back and read the first sentence; If he was coerced, them F the Dolphins.
Totally disagree. A football player in the NFL is always going to say that they can go. Their contracts aren't guaranteed, and they are one injury away from losing their income. It's up to the NFL and the coaching staff to do what's right for the long term health of the player. To expect that a player is going to make the right decision for their quality of life 20 years hence is foolish thinking, and it's setting them up for CTE and other debilitating injuries.
Well you can totally disagree all you want. But Tua's a grown ass man and if he didn't get coerced, then you're completely wrong. And if you can't see that you're wrong then I can't have a conversation with you.
You can think it's a stupid decision all you want and I'll agree, but people should be free to be stupid.
Personally, anyone who wants to go against medical advice should be free to do so...just sign the liability waiver.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m afraid I’m with BWN.
Tua is no doctor, he’s not informed enough to make this decision. Plus he was already concussed. So he potentially has his capacity to make decisions impaired.
At the end of the day an employer has a legal obligation to keep their employees safe. Not easy on the football field, but if you allow a player to take a risk they don’t have to then you’re liable.

This is different to limb injuries. Concussion should carry an automatic 3 match medical suspension.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yep.

For the same reason why a dedicated employee will say, "I'm not that sick. I can go in."

They don't want to lose the sick day, or they don't get sick days at all, or they're part of a massive project and they feel guilty about being home.

Then they go in and wind up making things worse. Both for themselves and the people around them.

This game isn't worth Tua's life. Nor his memory when he reaches middle age.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

You guys are fucking crazy, there's absolutely no harm in repeated blows to the head. You cucks believe anything you read on the internet.

Anyway, completely unrelated, you guys see this?

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 pm

Well you can totally disagree all you want. But Tua's a grown ass man and if he didn't get coerced, then you're completely wrong. And if you can't see that you're wrong then I can't have a conversation with you.
You can think it's a stupid decision all you want and I'll agree, but people should be free to be stupid.
Personally, anyone who wants to go against medical advice should be free to do so...just sign the liability waiver.
LOL! OK, so you won't have a discussion with me until I admit I'm wrong. Who are you, my wife?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:49 am You guys are fucking crazy, there's absolutely no harm in repeated blows to the head. You cucks believe anything you read on the internet.

Anyway, completely unrelated, you guys see this?

Are those senior citizens? I can't tell. Bonus (boner?) points if they are.

Back to the whole "cucks believe anything you read on the internet" thing.

I'm watching Joe Rogan interview Post Malone from like two years ago or so on JRE and came across this gem.

Article Title: "Dolphins Seem to Use Toxic Pufferfish to Get High"

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... threatened.

You learn something new every week right?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:41 pm Hit his back and head HARD. His hands went completely rigid, which apparently is a neuro reaction to severe head trauma.
I just read this thread. Honestly I didnt realize I had seen this once in my professional setting. Long story but a cliff notes version. A guy got hit in the head. His hands went completely ridged. I didnt realize the 2 were mutual. He actually developed a short term studded. It makes sense though.

After rewatching his reaction its amazingly similar. He shouldnt play.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The NFL and the Player's Union have reached an agreement to go into effect in Week 5. A player exhibiting instabilities after a hit will not be allowed to return to a game.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:23 am The NFL and the Player's Union have reached an agreement to go into effect in Week 5. A player exhibiting instabilities after a hit will not be allowed to return to a game.
Well...that's helpful, I guess.

But in this particular instance, it still wouldn't have prevented him from getting wrecked in the second game.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:57 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:23 am The NFL and the Player's Union have reached an agreement to go into effect in Week 5. A player exhibiting instabilities after a hit will not be allowed to return to a game.
Well...that's helpful, I guess.

But in this particular instance, it still wouldn't have prevented him from getting wrecked in the second game.
Hopefully it will prevent future occurrences.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

The situation with players thinking they can go, even though they may be hurt, concussed or ill, harken's back to another thread about maturity.
In the other thread it was discussed that players are coddled and protected all through high school and college. They are basically children when they get drafted and are going to be "Professionals" with no frame of reference for the work place environment. Zero life experiences with money, responsibility and work ethic. They have always done what coach and or family told them to do. And even then, not always that well.

Players are going to insist on playing. They always live in fear of being Bledsoe'd. Get hurt and lose your spot.

Mike McDaniel appears to be a good coach, but someone on that staff should have looking out for Tua's welfare and not the win column.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the good news is the Tua situation has raised a lot of questions and has generated clarification and enforcement of injury protocols ... the bad news is Tua got destroyed ... hope he recovers and isn't put back on the field until he is physically ready
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin