Week 4 // Bears (2-1) @ Giants (2-1)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Bailey freaking Zappe has the Packers on the ropes and we don’t have a team that can beat the Giants.
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Defense was bludgeoned for over 260 yards, a bad front 7 and a rookie safety were repeatedly fooled by Jones, Getsy called a bad game, the oline struggled mightily in pass protection and fields was better - but not comfortable and thus improved from horrific to simply bad.

The giants have one of the leagues best play callers at head coach and one of the more creative dcs who is very experienced. The bears were outmanned and outcoached and lost by one possession.

Frustrating loss - but the bear roster is near the bottom of the league - they will look very different if/when they get good
karhu
Head Coach

If the game plan on either side of the ball had been much worse than the other, I'd have a lot of things to say about Getsy or Williams. But both plans were so oblivious to our opponent that I think this one's on Eberflus. Which is a much, much bigger problem. If our HC doesn't know a bad game plan when he sees one, and if he's not holding his coordinators responsible, nothing important is going to improve any time soon. Hope I'm wrong, but that's the simplest and IMSO the most reasonable way to interpret what we've seen this year.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

One thing that befuddles the $hit out of me, every time plays break down (on what appears Fields goes thru his progressions or can’t find receivers open), he steps up inside or outside the pocket and runs. You’d think options become available whenever he becomes a runner and still behind the line of scrimmage, but no, none? Not even the check down?

And what was up with what appeared to be running screens on third and long with the TE today? How cosmically stupid is that? Do we have a bubble screen for Mooney on this playbook?

Every week brings an additional concern about the direction of this team. Today’s coaching, especially the play calling, was exposed as amateur to say the least.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

kind of feeling a bit for getsy. people bitching that he has to open up the offense more but he's gonna be the first guy with his head on a pike. i imagine the gravity of the situation is not lost on him.

the sicko in me wants to see a week of trevor siemian.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

artbest01 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:36 pm Defense and pass protection have been pretty bad in the first half

Fields with a couple of very nice throws - and some notable misfires. He looks better - and also seemed to be hurt on the play before the half
More shades of Steve McNair there. He was always dinged up, always let you know he was hurting, then kept playing.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:16 pm kind of feeling a bit for getsy. people bitching that he has to open up the offense more but he's gonna be the first guy with his head on a pike. i imagine the gravity of the situation is not lost on him.

I don’t feel for him, offensive co-ordinator is his job and this offense looks completely uncoordinated EVERY WEEK.

Fire his ass back to the Pack.
Last edited by Ditka’s dictaphone on Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:39 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:37 pm No blame on Fields today.

He was surrounded by loafers
Eh. He’s still a work in progress.

Still missing open guys, holding the ball too long, and taking bad sacks.

But it was better.

This is where I'm at

The one where the Safety had time to get over on the back shoulder - that is one of the things that happens in the NFL that doesn't happen in College - and why you got to pull the trigger faster
RichH55
Hall of Famer

artbest01 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:28 pm Defense was bludgeoned for over 260 yards, a bad front 7 and a rookie safety were repeatedly fooled by Jones, Getsy called a bad game, the oline struggled mightily in pass protection and fields was better - but not comfortable and thus improved from horrific to simply bad.

The giants have one of the leagues best play callers at head coach and one of the more creative dcs who is very experienced. The bears were outmanned and outcoached and lost by one possession.

Frustrating loss - but the bear roster is near the bottom of the league - they will look very different if/when they get good
This was the worst game the OL has had in pass pro this year
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:20 pm Bailey freaking Zappe has the Packers on the ropes and we don’t have a team that can beat the Giants.
Cooper Rush. Zach Wilson. Trevor Lawrence. Mac Jones. Might be others on the list.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
docc
Head Coach

2-2 close 3 games..with lower scrubs and a year before any help may be on the way.. So far not horrible year.. It can turn that way..but gents..what did you expect HITS or whatever.. No talent or inexperienced cast offs and scrubs. No quality WRs..just a couple decent OL and the Bears are 2-2 and could have been 3-1 with the ridiculous game today ..

Not happy but not unexpected so far.. Bears are two drafts and FAs away from even being a contender,,instead of..
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Daboll > Eebz and Getsy

Martindale > Eebz and Williams

Barkley > Herbert and Ebner

Giant DL > Bears OL

That's the story, even if we don't want to admit it.
docc
Head Coach

Look at the protection 73 year old Brady has..versus Fields.. Amazing
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Giants ol also > bears awful
Dl

quote="Otis Day" post_id=310734 time=1664760491 user_id=82]
Daboll > Eebz and Getsy

Martindale > Eebz and Williams

Barkley > Herbert and Ebner

Giant DL > Bears OL

That's the story, even if we don't want to admit it.
[/quote]
RichH55
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:50 pm Look at the protection 73 year old Brady has..versus Fields.. Amazing
Reading the Defense correctly pre-snap and getting the ball out quick makes anyones pass pro look great

Cannot stress that enough
Hero
Player of the Month

I just want to know if the receivers are anywhere close to being open. Was anyone at the game or able to see the All 22?
docc
Head Coach

So..no need to upgrade the O line// Nor get better targets.. Just better pre read snaps regardless..and get the ball out faster than Brady tonight..
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:20 pm Bailey freaking Zappe has the Packers on the ropes and we don’t have a team that can beat the Giants.
HA! I was going to post the same thing, "4th round draft pick Bailey Zappe has a 115 QBR at Lambeau, and has taken the Packers to overtime. Justin put up a 40 QBR and got shelled."
Last edited by Bears Whiskey Nut on Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

MoFugger
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:16 pm kind of feeling a bit for getsy. people bitching that he has to open up the offense more but he's gonna be the first guy with his head on a pike. i imagine the gravity of the situation is not lost on him.

I'm down with that sickness.
MoFugger
Head Coach

docc wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:50 pm Look at the protection 73 year old Brady has..versus Fields.. Amazing
Brady gets the ball out. Fields is hot garbage right now.
Nothing to do with his protection.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

This game is what I thought we might see this year. You know, re-build and all. But the Bears got out coached and out played.
How could the defense not learn to read where the ball was on those roll outs? I mean I get burned once, I am looking for it all day! Sheesh! :frustrated:

Once again, the Bears make a QB who everyone thinks is a bust, look like an All-Pro.

Grade School play calling all day by Getsy and Eberflus. After 3 Pre-Season games and now 4 Regular ones, I am getting hints of Dowell Loggains, the Hobbit himself! I realise Flus likes to get pressure with 4, but in 3rd and long you almost have to blitz or show it. He did not do it till the second half, and it worked too! But still too little too late.

Frustrating but I am over it already. On to Minnesota.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Bears are what we thought they were.
- Young QB, still learning, new/different schemes 2 years in a row
- Very young, inexperienced OL
- Not much in the way of targets
- Adapting to completely different defense
- New GM and coaches in roles they've never had before
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

Games like this are where Eberflus' HITS schtick is going to be tested. That stuff only works with the players when it produces on the field.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

it is so frustrating being a fan of this team ... doesn't matter the play or the situation, they seem to be simply unprepared and then overwhelmed by the situation ... and even with their ineptitude, they somehow seem to stay in games until someone steps up to make the big game killing mistake

watch a team like the Chiefs operate and you realize the Bears are not in their league in talent or function ... as others have noted, there are some true unknowns playing QB elsewhere and having success and there are several different reasons for that, the main one being teams able to gameplan around the strengths of the players they have ... the Bears seem lost a lot of the time, as if the day of the game is the first time they are running some of their plays, and I know that isn't true, so what is it with them?

we watch the dysfunction hoping they will figure things out while other fans watch their teams screw up and know they will straighten it out ... big difference in those 2 scenarios ... watching and wishing rather than knowing

the most sad thing is the Bears ineptitude doesn't even make me mad ... it is like I have been beaten down enough with past lost hope that failure is a calmly accepted fate ... and I'm not sure what to make of that
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

There's too many weaknesses to lay blame solely on one player, but Fields isn't getting it done, and frankly I don't know if he ever will. He's so indecisive and hesitant to throw, and doesn't trust his receivers or o-line.

Watching game highlights from around the league all year has shown me that even the worst QBs in this league are infinitely faster about getting the ball out of their hands. Teams with even a semblance of a pro offensive line and receiver group are years ahead of this Bears offense. It's horrible.

To think that we've seen some bad Bears offenses in the last 10-odd years, and I mean BAD bad bad offense, yet what we're watching this year is going for a historic benchmark of terrible play.

I'm not saying they can't turn it around and I fully expect an overhaul going into next season, but Jesus Bike-Riding Christ. This is intolerable.
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 am There's too many weaknesses to lay blame solely on one player, but Fields isn't getting it done, and frankly I don't know if he ever will. He's so indecisive and hesitant to throw, and doesn't trust his receivers or o-line.

Watching game highlights from around the league all year has shown me that even the worst QBs in this league are infinitely faster about getting the ball out of their hands. Teams with even a semblance of a pro offensive line and receiver group are years ahead of this Bears offense. It's horrible.

To think that we've seen some bad Bears offenses in the last 10-odd years, and I mean BAD bad bad offense, yet what we're watching this year is going for a historic benchmark of terrible play.

I'm not saying they can't turn it around and I fully expect an overhaul going into next season, but Jesus Bike-Riding Christ. This is intolerable.
I think we can say with certainty that neither Getsy nor Fields are good enough to overcome the massive lack of talent at WR, OL, and TE while trying to implement a new offensive scheme at the same time. I don't know how fair it is to judge either of them given all that, but each week that goes by I tend to agree that I start thinking it just may never happen. I'm equally frustrated by Getsy as I am by Fields right now. Jenkins is our best OL yet we keep him on the bench half the game - then he comes in and crushes people over and over again. Fields can't get into any sort of rhythm out there, yet we continue to plow the ball up the middle on damn near every first down, 2nd and long, even 3rd and long - how is he supposed to snap out of this if every attempt he has is under duress and the defense is playing pass? Have we seen a single slant pass yet this season? That's bread and butter in GB, why don't we see them here?
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:10 am
UOK wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 am There's too many weaknesses to lay blame solely on one player, but Fields isn't getting it done, and frankly I don't know if he ever will. He's so indecisive and hesitant to throw, and doesn't trust his receivers or o-line.

I think we can say with certainty that neither Getsy nor Fields are good enough to overcome the massive lack of talent at WR, OL, and TE while trying to implement a new offensive scheme at the same time. I don't know how fair it is to judge either of them given all that, but each week that goes by I tend to agree that I start thinking it just may never happen. I'm equally frustrated by Getsy as I am by Fields right now. Jenkins is our best OL yet we keep him on the bench half the game - then he comes in and crushes people over and over again. Fields can't get into any sort of rhythm out there, yet we continue to plow the ball up the middle on damn near every first down, 2nd and long, even 3rd and long - how is he supposed to snap out of this if every attempt he has is under duress and the defense is playing pass? Have we seen a single slant pass yet this season? That's bread and butter in GB, why don't we see them here?
There were slants called against the Giants, but for whatever reason, Fields almost refuses to throw over the middle.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:35 pm So..no need to upgrade the O line// Nor get better targets.. Just better pre read snaps regardless..and get the ball out faster than Brady tonight..
To get to a baseline of competent NFL QB?

Yes.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The center gave up half of the QB pressures yesterday…