So is Montgomery an inefficient back?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

I'm currently looking at this just like the Packers were last year. They know that RBs are mostly disposable - but they also know that they tend to get dinged and the next man up needs to have replacement value. They also know a given player can be an important part of the team and there is value there that can't be dismissed.

Like Plank said, it does come down to the value/cost calculus. With Adams they clearly concluded it was just too much and they couldn't justify it. With Aaron Jones they extended him at a reasonable cost and solidified an important part of their team.

That's what the Bears need to do with Monty. And he's going to be re-signable in the Jones or James Conner level which is completely tolerable. I don't see Monty insisting on top RB money - just a fair level and at the level of his comps like the guys I mentioned. As long as what he is asking for is not market-setting and sort of crazy, I'm in favor of extending him 3-4 years.

And that is with me having believed and still believing Herbert is the better back since almost the day he was drafted.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Same. Love Monty but watching Dallas/Giants last week and Dallas is giving Zeke way too many snaps when Pollard is clearly outperforming him.

I hate hate hate the reality of the NFL that RB's are fungible.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Herbert isnt half the back that monty is. he's great for a second stringer, but especially today his pass blocking got exposed.
Let Monty be the bell cow, let Herbert gash em when they're gassed.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We know what Monty is. A "try hard" that isn't capable of the big play. No argument that he grinds out the yards.

I'm totally fine trying different backs to see what we have and even signing or drafting his replacement next year.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I wasn't thrilled with Ebner - I like having 2 quality backs so hoping we get Monty back soon and hoping we resign him to a middling RB type contract. He'd be worth it if the cost was reasonable.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:14 pm Herbert isnt half the back that monty is. he's great for a second stringer, but especially today his pass blocking got exposed.
Let Monty be the bell cow, let Herbert gash em when they're gassed.
Haven't seen it yet, but Herbert's pass pro has been lacking before, so I'll assume you're right about it today.

That said - let's not go overboard here.

Who's a better runner?
Which is more important in a HB - running or pass blocking?
Which is more teachable in a HB - running or pass blocking?

Herbert has had 376 snaps, meaning maybe 8 games worth. He's still got plenty of opportunity to learn pass pro.
And until he proves he can't, he's still got easily the best upside on the unit.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I mean, in a game where justin is running for his life all night, and the run game was doing nothing, i'd argue being able to pass block is pretty important.

dplank
Hall of Famer

“Fields was accurate “ seems a little off. He did have some nice throws, even a few incomplete La were nice accuracy. But he also missed two layups, and that just has to stop. Why he’s missing swing passes to flat is a mystery to me, he just can’t keep doing that.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:15 pm “Fields was accurate “ seems a little off. He did have some nice throws, even a few incomplete La were nice accuracy. But he also missed two layups, and that just has to stop. Why he’s missing swing passes to flat is a mystery to me, he just can’t keep doing that.
He's accurate deep. Don't know what's up with the short throws.

Maybe need to consult Chuck Knoblauch and see if he has any advice lol
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:15 pm “Fields was accurate “ seems a little off. He did have some nice throws, even a few incomplete La were nice accuracy. But he also missed two layups, and that just has to stop. Why he’s missing swing passes to flat is a mystery to me, he just can’t keep doing that.
He was putting some absolute HEAT on some of his early short throws. Zero touch, just all gas.

I watch him and keep thinking to myself "if he could only just settle down".