ex-Bear Steelers

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

He is just not starting QB material if you ask me. I don't think the OL really helps him out much, but does not read the field. He continues to lock onto one guy. If that guy is covered he is leaving the pocket. I will say he throws better on the move.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’ve always said he lacks confidence and leadership.

He second guesses himself.

I feel sad for him but he’s made a good living and will be able to retire healthy :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:51 am He is just not starting QB material if you ask me. I don't think the OL really helps him out much, but does not read the field. He continues to lock onto one guy. If that guy is covered he is leaving the pocket. I will say he throws better on the move.
If you watch the highlights, which include all those completions to the outside, it looks like Trubisky starts off looking down the middle on almost every one but gets pressure in his face and actually does a decent job moving to escape it and make a nice throw.

https://www.nfl.com/games/steelers-at-browns-2022-reg-3

I'm not saying he doesn't have issues of his own, but that O-line isn't helping him much. Ultimately though he just doesn't have that 'X factor'.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The rumblings out of Pittsburgh are that he's fighting off the rookie, Pickett, for the starting job.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i was dead wrong about justin herbert, so who the fuck knows, but Mitch to Kenny feels like a lateral move.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:25 pm i was dead wrong about justin herbert, so who the fuck knows, but Mitch to Kenny feels like a lateral move.
Maybe a move with an eye for the future, that Mitch isn't the guy?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Steelers QB Kenny Pickett replaces Mitchell Trubisky in loss to Jets

The Kenny Pickett era seems to have begun.

Pittsburgh's rookie quarterback entered the game for Mitchell Trubisky on the first offensive possession of the second half in their 24-20 loss to the New York Jets.

Trubisky's benching came after a listless first half from a Steelers offense that mustered just eight first downs in seven possessions, and failed to reach the red zone. After two quarters of play, the Trubisky-led offense gained just 147 yards of total offense and six points, three of which were aided by a Jets' penalty that led to a 59-yard Chris Boswell field goal in the final seconds of the second quarter.

Trubisky completed 7 of 13 passes for 84 yards and one interception at the time of his benching.

On five possessions, Pickett completed 10 of 13 attempts for 120 yards. The rookie tallied two rushing touchdowns, but also threw three interceptions.

"I thought we needed a spark, man," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin told reporters after the game. "We didn't do much in the first half, not enough offensively, and I thought he could provide a spark for us."

Trubisky told reporters that he was disappointed with how Sunday played out.

"Didn't score enough points, got pulled at halftime. That's how it goes," Trubisky said. "That's business as usual. Just gotta find a way to pull together as a team and get better from here. So, disappointed, obviously. But that's part of it."

Tomlin added that Sunday's decision did not mean Pittsburgh was making a permanent change at QB.

"We'll deal with next week next week," Tomlin said.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-qb-ke ... nched-jets
dplank
Hall of Famer

Trubisky saying that getting pulled at halftime is “business as usual” is pretty hilarious.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

lol
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:16 pm Trubisky saying that getting pulled at halftime is “business as usual” is pretty hilarious.
I think he knew the deal when he signed on.

14 mil, plus incentives, 5 mil guaranteed over two years to be a mentor/bridge with a good coaching staff and potential to resurrect his career.

Pretty sure he will probably start again, Tomlinson isn’t one to watch a qb throw 3 pics in a half very often.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:11 pm Pretty sure he will probably start again, Tomlinson isn’t one to watch a qb throw 3 pics in a half very often.
Well it certainly won't be this week.
Steelers' Mike Tomlin names rookie QB Kenny Pickett as starter ahead of Bills matchup

Let the Kenny Pickett era begin in Pittsburgh.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed Tuesday the rookie first-round pick will make the start in Week 5 against the Buffalo Bills in place of Mitchell Trubisky.

"Kenny will start this week," Tomlin told reporters. "We made the change, obviously. Mitch's performance was a component of the decision, but not the only component of the decision. I just want to be really clear there. Oftentimes the quarterback position gets too much credit, too much blame. We haven't moved the ball fluently enough to our liking. We hadn't put enough points on the board. The quarterback is a component of that, but not the only component. We've all got to absorb the responsibility that comes with what we haven't done, particularly in that phase. Including myself and starting with myself."

Tomlin said the decision to go to the rookie wasn't based solely on Trubisky's performance, but he felt the team needed a spark.

"When you make a quarterback change, you're really sensitive to that component of it because I don't want to dump the responsibility of what transpired at Mitch's feet," Tomlin said. "That's not fair to him -- he's played better than that description -- but we haven't. So, in an effort to be better, in an effort to score more points, in an effort to move the ball more fluently, we decided to go to Kenny in the hopes that he will provide a spark for us.

Tomlin added that as a team captain, Trubisky will still go out for the coin toss Sunday against the Bills, the QB's previous team.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-mike- ... -bills-mat
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

10 has just seemed to get in some pretty sucky situations. Bears/Nagy. Good yr in Buffalo as a backup and now this situation in Pitt. He was always going to be the place holder, but could not hold this for the year. He is and will be a career backup. Good gig though.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

I have said elsewhere many times, Mitch hopefully learned all he could from Chase Daniel and Mark Sanchez. How to make millions holding a clipboard. Mitch will end up being a career backup and he will get a few starts here and there and get to see a lot of the country moving every 3-4 seasons. He will be in demand for many teams. He is just good enough to come in and spark a team and maybe even win a couple while your number 1 QB is out.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Credit to Trubisky this week.

With a little over 7 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter, Pickett went out with a concussion when he hit his head on the turf following a big hit. At that point the Steelers were leading 13-12, with 3 points coming on the back of an 89 yard return of the second half kick off, and Picket had completed 11/18 for just 67 yards with 1 TD and an 87.0 passer rating. There was a hold on the defender who laid the hit on Pickett, so the Steelers were facing a 1st and 20.

In comes Mitch. His first pass is dropped. He then completes one for 5 yards. On 3rd and 15 he throws one over the middle for a 16 yard completion. The drive then stalls and the Steelers punt.

Next drive Trubisky is sacked on the first play and despite completing an 11 yard pass on 2nd down the Steelers punt again.

Into the 4th quarter, Trubisky is faced with a a 3rd and 13 and converts it with a 14 yard completion. On 3rd and 6 he catches the Bucs with 12 men on the field and takes advantage with a throw to Heywood who takes it for 45 yards. 2 plays later Mitch throws a TD and a 20-12 lead. The PAT is missed.

Brady leads the Bucs to a TD but the 2-point conversion is batted away. There is still 4:38 on the clock and the Bucs have TOs. Plenty of time you would think for Brady to get another shot.

Trubisky has other ideas. He leads the Steelers on an 11 play, 46 yard drive to kill the game. On the second play of the drive he has to overcome an awful shotgun snap on 2nd and 2 that skids along the ground. He manages to scramble back and fall on the ball for a 13 yard loss. On 3rd and 15 he completes a 17 yard pass for a 1st down. He then completes a 26 yard pass on a 3rd and 11 before adding a 9 yard run and converting a QB sneak to seal the game.

Trubisky finished the game 9/12 for 144 yards with 1 TD and a 142.4 passer rating.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Good lad Mitch

docc
Head Coach

Good for Trubs last week..good kid..backup...
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Well this is a new twist to Trubisky's benching.
Trubisky was benched against the Jets following a locker room confrontation at halftime with receiver Diontae Johnson, multiple sources have told the Post-Gazette. According to sources, Johnson began yelling at Trubisky to throw him the ball more, even though Johnson had a pass skip off his hands that resulted in an interception and failed to get his feet inbounds on what would have been a 23-yard touchdown in the first half. Trubisky stood up to Johnson and a heated exchange occurred. That’s when Pickett was told he would start the second half.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2210170037
Extraordinary to bench a QB in those circumstances.

Also nice to hear about Mitch standing up for himself after he always looked so cowed playing for Nagy.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:34 pm

Also nice to hear about Mitch standing up for himself after he always looked so cowed playing for Nagy.
yes and yes
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Xee
Site Admin

Man, the prima donna WR trope is just tiring. Glad Trubisky told him to fuck off.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:34 pm Well this is a new twist to Trubisky's benching.
Trubisky was benched against the Jets following a locker room confrontation at halftime with receiver Diontae Johnson, multiple sources have told the Post-Gazette. According to sources, Johnson began yelling at Trubisky to throw him the ball more, even though Johnson had a pass skip off his hands that resulted in an interception and failed to get his feet inbounds on what would have been a 23-yard touchdown in the first half. Trubisky stood up to Johnson and a heated exchange occurred. That’s when Pickett was told he would start the second half.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2210170037

Agreed, that is good to hear from Mitch.

Didn’t he call it “business as usual”?

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:59 pm Man, the prima donna WR trope is just tiring. Glad Trubisky told him to fuck off.
Are you an extremely talented WR with horrid social skills and a slight chemical imbalance? Welcome to Pittsburgh.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Meanwhile, Pickett doesn't look so good.
dplank
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:45 am Meanwhile, Pickett doesn't look so good.
He hasn’t performed well but I actually think he looks like an NFL QB IMO. He’s a rookie, will need time , but he seems to feel the pocket and scan the field well.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

dplank wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:04 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:45 am Meanwhile, Pickett doesn't look so good.
He hasn’t performed well but I actually think he looks like an NFL QB IMO. He’s a rookie, will need time , but he seems to feel the pocket and scan the field well.
I saw the same traits too. I won't be surprised if he, at the very least, turns into a quality starter.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Kylo Bearen wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:57 am
dplank wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:04 am

I saw the same traits too. I won't be surprised if he, at the very least, turns into a quality starter.
He looks like a turnover machine that is a hope and a prayer.

But the steelers are a really bad football team.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Steelers GM Omar Khan said he wants former Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky, who is under contract next year, to return and back up Kenny Pickett. “How he’s worked with Kenny has been great,” he said.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... -matt-nagy
Understandable. Trubisky is as good a backup QB as you will find. Plenty of starting experience with a solid but unspectacular passer rating, he's also put his team in position to win games at the death even if they haven't always done so. A low-tier starter, high-end backup type guy. Not what we wanted in Chicago, but good luck to him.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

yup
dplank
Hall of Famer

We can now say with finality that Trubisky does in fact blow. I kept open the possibility when he left Chicago that it was all Nagy, then he didn’t get to play in Buffalo so it was still possible he might be decent. Then he got the job in Pittsburg and looked like garbage and lost that job to a rookie, so that’s a wrap IMO.

Given this knowledge, I wonder how much Nagy was hurt by poor QB play? I know we all hate him and all that, but the fact is he never had a QB you could win with here in Chicago. I also wonder if we’d have a 2nd Lombardi Trophy from 2018 if we had taken Watson instead of Trubisky - I think we very well could have.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

3 years of Nagyball could have damaged a rookie irreparably

RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:45 am We can now say with finality that Trubisky does in fact blow. I kept open the possibility when he left Chicago that it was all Nagy, then he didn’t get to play in Buffalo so it was still possible he might be decent. Then he got the job in Pittsburg and looked like garbage and lost that job to a rookie, so that’s a wrap IMO.

Given this knowledge, I wonder how much Nagy was hurt by poor QB play? I know we all hate him and all that, but the fact is he never had a QB you could win with here in Chicago. I also wonder if we’d have a 2nd Lombardi Trophy from 2018 if we had taken Watson instead of Trubisky - I think we very well could have.
Watson lost a playoff game where they spotted him a multiple TD lead

And was not very good this year.

He is not elite