First Albums You Bought

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:27 am What systems do you guys use to play music? Anyone still do vinyl from the old days (or recently get into it)?

Another 8track guy. You hit the nail on the head about songs being split.

I have about 1.5 GB of music ripped to very high fidelity FLAK and other non compressed formats. I put them on a good quality portable unit and listen through decent quality wireless headphones. I listen to CDs also. Have a couple of friends, have probably spent upwards of $30 to $50K on their stereo systems, either vinyl or digital they ripped from vinyl. Vinyl has roared back, pressers can’t keep up with the demand.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:33 pm
IE wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:27 am What systems do you guys use to play music? Anyone still do vinyl from the old days (or recently get into it)?

I have about 1.5 GB of music ripped to very high fidelity FLAK and other non compressed formats. I put them on a good quality portable unit and listen through decent quality wireless headphones. I listen to CDs also. Have a couple of friends, have probably spent upwards of $30 to $50K on their stereo systems, either vinyl or digital they ripped from vinyl. Vinyl has roared back, pressers can’t keep up with the demand.
Yep - and because of that, albums are selling for nutty prices $30-50. Used first pressings from the 60's and 70's will go for over 100 bucks in excellent shape. I think people believe they have better audio quality but I'm not sure about that. I have about 500 albums left, after having sold a few hundred I'd never listen to a record store. I have about 100 GB of high bit rate MP3s I downloaded from Napster back in the day (thanks to 100MB corporate network back then), and it is just sitting in a share I rarely use. Every day all day I listen to FM radio while I work, streaming FM radio and some regular streaming - but don't do the audiophile quality stuff I'm not sure my old ears can hear much difference. Then a few days a week I enjoy listening to my old vinyl.

I'm into vintage audio equipment - especially I like collecting stuff I really coveted back in high school but could never afford at the time... so I'd just go to stereo stores at the mall and dream. I've been buying some newer vinyl for albums I either never had or wore out. Somebody above mentioned Black Sabbath Paranoid. I just bought that during Covid and it is epic. The old stuff sounds better on equipment that was designed to sound good with it, like this '78 Sansui stack I had in my office across from my desk here (subsequently upgraded).
117744892_10158973342794415_2078802067146869437_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:33 pm

Yep - and because of that, albums are selling for nutty prices $30-50. Used first pressings from the 60's and 70's will go for over 100 bucks in excellent shape. I think people believe they have better audio quality but I'm not sure about that. I have about 500 albums left, after having sold a few hundred I'd never listen to a record store. I have about 100 GB of high bit rate MP3s I downloaded from Napster back in the day (thanks to 100MB corporate network back then), and it is just sitting in a share I rarely use. Every day all day I listen to FM radio while I work, streaming FM radio and some regular streaming - but don't do the audiophile quality stuff I'm not sure my old ears can hear much difference. Then a few days a week I enjoy listening to my old vinyl.

I'm into vintage audio equipment - especially I like collecting stuff I really coveted back in high school but could never afford at the time... so I'd just go to stereo stores at the mall and dream. I've been buying some newer vinyl for albums I either never had or wore out. Somebody above mentioned Black Sabbath Paranoid. I just bought that during Covid and it is epic. The old stuff sounds better on equipment that was designed to sound good with it, like this '78 Sansui stack I had in my office across from my desk here (subsequently upgraded).

117744892_10158973342794415_2078802067146869437_n.jpg
One of my audiophile buddies, who probably has upwards of 3000 albums buys nothing but sealed albums. Amazing how many old ones are still out there. He's in that $30 to $50K range of equipment and is always tinkering to tweak more and better sound out of his equipment. I might break down and start playing vinyl again although I gave away my collection years ago and the guy digitized it for me.
Xee
Site Admin

IE wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 pmYep - and because of that, albums are selling for nutty prices $30-50.
CDs can go for that as well. In college I listened to a lot of bands that were on small labels but since it was around the time the internet was taking off, you could hear their music online and buy mp3s for 99c a pop.

Fast forward to now when most of the bands have long since disappeared but since they're strongly linked to that time of my life, I want to get my hands on their actual CDs. They're almost impossible to find and when you do, they're super expensive.

One example is Shark Quest, a small jam band of NC-based musicians who were around from '95-04 and just put out a few albums. I have a lot of memories of being in the library late at night, listening to them while I studied. I just looked up their last '04 album on eBay and there's only one copy, used, that's going for $50. Crazy.

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

U2 Zoorapa and Nirvana Incesticide.
Stormtrooper
Practice Squad

Iron Maiden-Powerslave
If my cat pisses on me one more damn time...
karhu
Head Coach

First vinyl: "King Tut" by Steve Martin

First LP: Live at Budokan

Honorable Mention: My grandparents got me the first Iron Maiden album and Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap for my birthday when I must've been in junior high, and followed them up with a double album of Charlie Parker wire recordings a couple months later for Christmas. The older I get, the cooler that seems.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:11 pm
IE wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 pmYep - and because of that, albums are selling for nutty prices $30-50.
CDs can go for that as well. In college I listened to a lot of bands that were on small labels but since it was around the time the internet was taking off, you could hear their music online and buy mp3s for 99c a pop.

Fast forward to now when most of the bands have long since disappeared but since they're strongly linked to that time of my life, I want to get my hands on their actual CDs. They're almost impossible to find and when you do, they're super expensive.

One example is Shark Quest, a small jam band of NC-based musicians who were around from '95-04 and just put out a few albums. I have a lot of memories of being in the library late at night, listening to them while I studied. I just looked up their last '04 album on eBay and there's only one copy, used, that's going for $50. Crazy.

First off, thanks for the tip. Every so often I try to find a reasonably priced copy of anything at all from the Telepathic Butterflies, who were so catchy that I should be able to listen to them just by watching tv commercials and so Kinks-y that I should be able to listen to them just by watching any Wes Anderson film, but nope, nada, zilch.

Reminds me of when Tom Petty tried to name one of his albums $9.99. I've seen copies of Game Theory's Lolita Nation (my idea of the best album ever recorded) go for $700. Mushuganas records (anyone here remember the Mushuganas?) have gone for $200.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Wounded Bear
MVP

I think I was in 4th or 5th grade and ordered the Colombia House - 6 albums for a penny....

So as a 10 or 11 year old, I remember ordering:
Frampton Comes Alive
Steely Dan - Aja
Steve Miller - Book of Dreams
Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle
and some Jefferson Airplane album and I think the soundtrack to Hair.

In hindsight, that's just fuckin' weird for a 10-11 year old.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
karhu
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:54 pm I think I was in 4th or 5th grade and ordered the Colombia House - 6 albums for a penny....

So as a 10 or 11 year old, I remember ordering:
Frampton Comes Alive
Steely Dan - Aja
Steve Miller - Book of Dreams
Steve Miller - Fly Like an Eagle
and some Jefferson Airplane album and I think the soundtrack to Hair.

In hindsight, that's just fuckin' weird for a 10-11 year old.
Just for the benefit of all you non-KFFL refugees: WB is 27 years old.

So yeah, pretty damned weird.

Wounded Bear
MVP

Well done, sir. :clap:
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I can remember riding my skateboard to the mall in Corpus Christi to buy House of Pain, Fine Malt Lyrics on cassette with my lawn mowing money. 1992 was a Hell of a year.
Xee
Site Admin

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:28 pm I can remember riding my skateboard to the mall in Corpus Christi to buy House of Pain, Fine Malt Lyrics on cassette with my lawn mowing money. 1992 was a Hell of a year.
Whenever I hear that I just remember being at the house of my best friend in elementary school, blasting it in his room. It definitely was a special time.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Check your couches for loose change. It might not be the first but would probably be the last album you buy:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... -pop-music
docc
Head Coach

I have no idea what was first record.. I was in a band by 14 so whatever we got was to learn licks or whole songs..
I do remember playing at a Catholic girls HS and being told/.."no more black music"

When we finished we all had dates..BUT sister Mary Racist..told us we'd never play there again..

OK..we had gigs every week for seems like forever.. :flick:
karhu
Head Coach

docc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:49 pm I have no idea what was first record.. I was in a band by 14 so whatever we got was to learn licks or whole songs..
I do remember playing at a Catholic girls HS and being told/.."no more black music"

When we finished we all had dates..BUT sister Mary Racist..told us we'd never play there again..

So...Joe's Garage?

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:49 pm I have no idea what was first record.. I was in a band by 14 so whatever we got was to learn licks or whole songs..

You know what they say about Catholic girls ....

What do you play?
docc
Head Coach

..the Devil's stick...

Guitar..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Lately I've gotten into Post Malone big time. Bought 3 albums on iTunes and have just listened to them constantly. Highly recommended.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

First album I bought on my own - Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees.

First 45 I bought on my own - CCR - Bad Moon Rising. Lodi was the B side.

First CD I bought - Journey - Raised On The Radio

I had older sibs buying albums and 8 tracks so I usually just borrowed their stuff. Then I started borrowing friends' albums and recording them to cassette.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I went to catholic school from grades 1-9 and thank goodness I never saw any racist mumblings from the nuns. Where I went there were quite a few african americans and hispanics students. That would not have went over well.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin