Re: QB Prospect Discussion: Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Z Bear
MVP

I think this is all a moot point now, still too many holes to waste a pick on any QB until late.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:53 pm I think this is all a moot point now, still too many holes to waste a pick on any QB until late.
That's very short sided.
wab
Mod

I'm starting to think they don't draft one at all unless they acquire up a couple more picks, I could see them bringing in a couple UDFAs and having one stick over Bray.

They need a swing tackle, a WR, another TE, depth at DL, a LB, another RB... there's not a lot of room.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:44 pm I'm starting to think they don't draft one at all unless they acquire up a couple more picks, I could see them bringing in a couple UDFAs and having one stick over Bray.

They need a swing tackle, a WR, another TE, depth at DL, a LB, another RB... there's not a lot of room.
I'm never in favor of forcing any particular position in the draft, but a QB needs to be on the table, even at the expense of any of those holes. Those areas can all be addressed in some form with the bottom teir of the FA market. They only have 2 high-ish picks as is. Once you're in the 5th round, its a crapshoot anyways that you'll fill immediate roles outside of maybe some ST roles.
IE
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:41 am
IE wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:02 pm

I like the level he's played at. Bama is about as close to the NFL as you can get.

He lost the job there in fairness - and I always thought that playing for a powerhouse was a duel edged sword for a QB

Playing with better talent at most positions than the opponent - Playmakers all over
He did. Wouldn't be the first time a college player with great talent sat behind another really talented guy. Tua is perhaps one of the better examples of that. Hurts performing like he did at OK says a lot about him - about his takeup of a new offense, ability to get in synch with teammates while performing at a high level. It's one of the reasons I like him.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Z Bear
MVP

You call it short sided...I call it reality.

There is no room to sign any more free agents worth a crap, so the only way to add to the roster is vet minimum contracts that won't count against the cap. There are no OTs on the roster behind Leno and Massie or your starting RG is Bars/Coward depending on how you view Ifredi. So you absolutely need to spend one of the 2nd round picks on the offensive line. Deon Bush is your starting SS...the other 2nd round pick should be a safety. Luckily the draft is shaking out that those two areas should have a good amount of solid prospects around our two 2nd round picks.

I am a big fan of drafting BPA..but with no way to fill holes you kind of get stuck with locking into a group of positions. With Foles and Trubisky on the roster you have a potential long term franchise QB (on his last chance) and a veteran with some upside to push him. You cannot waste one of the 2nd round picks on a 3rd QB this year. 2021 is the year to draft a QB high if Trubisky fails.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

There are plenty of capable FA out there. Second rounders aren't always immediate contributors even if they are BPA, sometimes they're developmental guys anyways. A vet safety verse a 2nd round safety isn't going to make or break 2020. A QB who you feel presents good value at that spot is almost always the right pick.
IE
Hall of Famer

Saw today the Pack interviewed him. Can't make to much of that - but they do need to get that future guy and how freaking Packer-like would it be for Hurts to go there sit behind AAron for a few years and then see the Pack beat the Bears' ass for another 10 years because people think Mitch Trubisky could turn out to be Drew Brees.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:56 pm You call it short sided...I call it reality.

Take good football players .
dplank
Hall of Famer

Our cap situation is tough next year and I wouldn't be surprised if neither Foles nor Trubisky are on the roster. If either one has a good year, they'll be very expensive to keep. If neither has a good year, then we're able to move on and likely will.

IMO, getting another quality prospect in the mix is a necessity. Letting a guy like Hurts sit for a year will only benefit him, and we'll have an option heading into 2021 without being forced to draft a rookie high AND start him immediately. That would be putting yourself in a really tough spot if that's the plan. And I don't think a late round flyer helps that scenario a whole lot unless you get really lucky. I think we'd have to carry one less LB or OL, which sucks, but IMO is worth it. We can't keep reaching at this position, we need a steady stream of prospects cycling through, seeing who sticks, trading 'extras' if we're lucky enough to have them, etc.
wulfy
MVP

I'm not sure Hurts is worth we're you'd need to draft him. He was in a very friendly QB system and I don't think he makes very quick decisions.

Longtime Packer Beat Guy/Draft Analyst Bob McGinn writes about Hurts, his 6th Rated QB:
JALEN HURTS, Oklahoma (6-1, 221, 4.62, 2-3): Hurts won 38 of 42 starts in a three-year career at Alabama and a final season for the Sooners. “The thing he did in that SEC Championship Game, when he got benched and came in off the bench and won the game, might be one of the greatest moments in sports,” one scout said. “He can run, he’s a great kid and he’s tough. He’s a winner. I just think he’s a packaged quarterback. You’ve got to put certain plays in for him. He’s a third-teamer for me.” NFL passer ratings were 95.0 in 2016, 107.0 in ’17, 134.5 in ’18 and 128.9 in ’19 for a composite of 111.6. “You love the makeup and the intelligence,” said another scout. “On tape, he’s just not a natural quarterback. He’s mechanical, one read. Can make plays with his legs. Accuracy was the question mark. At the combine he was amazing with his accuracy, especially on those post-corners and deep routes. But I just don’t see a starting talent as far as the quick process and making plays with your arm in the pocket or on the move that you need to be a consistent, winning starter. But you want him on your team.” Hurts is from Houston and posted a Wonderlic of 18.
I'm a little more interested in:
Anthony Gordon | Washington State (5th Round Grade) - quick release and accuracy, not a Big Arm
James Morgan | Florida International (5th to 6th Round Grade) - good throwing tools and Arm, but inconsistent

I'm not sure what I think about Fromm (Noodle Armed, but has the rest of the package) and Eason (the exact opposite of Fromm - and he got beat out by Fromm at Georgia) yet .... need to do some more research.

That said, I didn't think Lamar Jackson would be a very good pro, so you should probably look somewhere else for QB advice (just not Yogi da Bear) :rofl:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

They comped Jake Fromm to Chase Daniel (Good guy, Great in the Room, Undersized non-armed cant' run terrible)

So I'm out on him
IE
Hall of Famer

This is an interesting old thread.

I mostly regret soft-peddling and being so conciliatory back pre-draft in '20 with my real opinion about Mitch at the time. I felt pretty strongly he had already had enough time, after 3 years of starting. I coveted Hurts SO badly for the Bears and dreamed of him being "our Watson". I was shocked and bummed that Philly stole him in the 2nd - especially because Wentz was generally considered a franchise there (although THEY clearly knew he wasn't). Hurts was there for the taking, man. The kid didn't just prove he could win at one school - he did it at TWO. With different systems and situations... he's just a really great, modern QB. A winner.

And instead the Bears got Cole "The Invisible Man" Kmet.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:38 am This is an interesting old thread.

I mostly regret soft-peddling and being so conciliatory back pre-draft in '20 with my real opinion about Mitch at the time. I felt pretty strongly he had already had enough time, after 3 years of starting. I coveted Hurts SO badly for the Bears and dreamed of him being "our Watson". I was shocked and bummed that Philly stole him in the 2nd - especially because Wentz was generally considered a franchise there (although THEY clearly knew he wasn't). Hurts was there for the taking, man. The kid didn't just prove he could win at one school - he did it at TWO. With different systems and situations... he's just a really great, modern QB. A winner.

And instead the Bears got Cole "The Invisible Man" Kmet.
I felt that way about Dak when he came out, just had a feeling about him. The Bears had three picks in the 4th and could have grabbed him before Dallas. Hurts really improved between last and this year. No more talk of Philly drafting another QB anymore. Maybe the Bears can offer Philly a 6th for Minshew....I'm a bit surprised about Hurts, he's playing much better than I thought he would. His accuracy has improved considerably. He's making great decisions. He's running like a halfback. Plus Philly has loaded up on high quality weapons. Howie Roseman has been proactive in tearing down a non-playoff team and rebuilding it quickly.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I can't lie I didnt think much Hurts.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea I was all over Hurts, wish we would've gone for it.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:37 pm I wouldn't take Hurts before the 4th round... he does not process quickly when it comes to going through progressions... he was handed the keys to the offense that had just produced back to back heisman winner/1st overall picks and did not perform at the same level... I love the kids mental toughness and leadership but physically he is a day three developmental QB... not sure how he would ever be thought of on the level of Mahomes as a prospect...
This post aged poorly. :D