Who Should Start? Siemian or Fields

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I’m sorry but I can’t resist.

We all know this is coming. I just want credit for starting the thread.

Imagine this post as the Bears Message Board equivalent of a homeless man being paid by some dude to stay in line at the Apple Store for five days to hold a spot in line for the new iPhone.

It’s three weeks from now and Siemian has started and went off for like five TDs. We even won a game.

Let the madness begin….
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Jets Defense has been top notch this year once they figured out they only need to send four and drop back everyone in coverage. It's exactly the type of defense that would/will get Justin killed, their DL Is SCARY.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Haven't we had the closest thing we've ever had to unanimous agreement that Siemian should play at least 2 weeks?
:?

Oh, you mean after Justin is healthy.

In that case, Win Now isn't and shouldn't be the goal.
Even if Siemian were better than Fields, who cares, other than to realize how far Fields has to go. Siemian would really have to light it up to earn consideration for "what about sticking with him?"
If Siemian ends up making Fields look bad, then the correct question almost certainly becomes "Be patient with Fields VS pounce on a really good year for QBs?"
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I want Fields to be healthy enough to start.

But he must be fit for the Packers. Everything else is less important this season.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:19 pm I want Fields to be healthy enough to start.

But he must be fit for the Packers. Everything else is less important this season.
I like this - I'd take only 1 more win this year but only if it keeps Packers out of playoffs
docc
Head Coach

Fields needs to sit and rest to bitch slap Erin and the ass Packers into their Love Land future.. :flick:
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:01 pm Oh, you mean after Justin is healthy.
Oops
Heinz D.
MVP

I don't have the patience to sift through the nonsense here.

Siemian needs to start, because Fields is hurt.

There is no playoff positioning on the line.

It's Trevor time.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:35 pm Let the madness begin….
No.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:35 pm I’m sorry but I can’t resist.

We all know this is coming. I just want credit for starting the thread.

Imagine this post as the Bears Message Board equivalent of a homeless man being paid by some dude to stay in line at the Apple Store for five days to hold a spot in line for the new iPhone.

It’s three weeks from now and Siemian has started and went off for like five TDs. We even won a game.

Let the madness begin….
This is one of the goofiest hypotheticals I can imagine. How about we wait and see if Siemian puts up that win plus 2.5 TDs per week and then we have this conversation?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
spudbear
MVP

Seems like the idea of Siemian getting in the game and Fields standing on the sidelines has been brought up before: Prepare Platoon Offense.

At the time (2 months ago) Fields was struggling and getting roughed up so some meathead fan (me) threw out the idea of platooning, with Siemian coming in for a series or two to give Fields a break. JF1 would get a chance to see the offense led by another vet QB. The idea seemed to be dismissed rather abruptly, with one poster saying it was the worst idea of all time.

Looks like we're going to find out this Sunday, but it won't be just a platoon but full time Siemian. This was my reply to the naysayers back then:
If this is the "worst idea of all time" then maybe it could have some merit? And no this is not a substitution for the red zone or whatever, it's simply a chance to have a "relief corps" come in for a few snaps to change things up and give Fields a chance to see his teammates operate without him.

At the very least, Siemian needs to be ready to come in on a moments notice. Fields has been getting hit hard this season, and it won't be getting any better against the Jints or Viqueens. He got up very slowly in the third quarter after a blow to the head at the sideline. He could have been put on concussion protocol but went back in.

Maybe with Siemian in there we can see if it is a blocking problem or a QB not getting rid of the ball in a timely fashion. With the Siemian platoon he can have plays ready to go where he delivers a ball to a spot rather than waiting/hoping someone gets open.

And for TMP, there's a link between "Platoon" and "Major League": Tom Berenger. The old pro comes in and steadies the team so the rookie flamethrower can make the big pitch. Does Fields need glasses?
I am curious to see how he fares with this OL and WR corps. Hope Trevor can withstand the hits he'll probably be taking.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

For the first time in forever, the Bears have a franchise QB. Let Sieman do his thing for as long as JF needs to heal and then JF goes back to starting. There is no QB controversy.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?