2023 Draft Strategy

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

IotaNet
MVP

I'm not an "armchair GM" and I don't know the minutiae of the draft, but I just read a very interesting comment on the Interwebs.

In response to an article about the Bears having only one pick in each of the first three rounds, someone wrote:

"Don't be surprised if the Bears use some of their cap space to take on bad contracts in return for draft picks, like the Browns did with the Brock Osweiler trade several years ago. I could see them taking on the last two years of Ryan Tannehill's deal in return for a first or second round pick if the Titans are looking to make Willis QB1 next year. Plus it would give the Bears an actual decent backup in case (knock on wood) Fields gets injured."

That feels like a Ryan Poles move for sure.
Grizzled
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 am I'm not an "armchair GM" and I don't know the minutiae of the draft, but I just read a very interesting comment on the Interwebs.

In response to an article about the Bears having only one pick in each of the first three rounds, someone wrote:

"Don't be surprised if the Bears use some of their cap space to take on bad contracts in return for draft picks, like the Browns did with the Brock Osweiler trade several years ago. I could see them taking on the last two years of Ryan Tannehill's deal in return for a first or second round pick if the Titans are looking to make Willis QB1 next year. Plus it would give the Bears an actual decent backup in case (knock on wood) Fields gets injured."

Interesting, haven't thought about that. Not a lot of free agent WRs to look at in the offseason but one that could fill a need is Jarvis Landry, who will be available and is a known productive slot receiver. His contract this year was for $3M, he can't be expecting anything appreciably higher.
The Bears lost a close game to the Dolphins but why is it that the sun shined brighter, the air seemed cleaner, the sausages smelled sausagier, and the Soldier Field grass actually seemed greener.
wab
Mod

I think I'm pleased with the prospect of Claypool/Mooney/Harry as the top 3. I don't think the Bears have completely given up on VJJ, but he's clearly not ready for a large role.

Bring back one of Pringle/ESB/Pettis and draft a guy.

Plus, with the seemingly sudden emergence of Kmet, there's only going to be so many passes to go around.
Moriarty
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 am I'm not an "armchair GM" and I don't know the minutiae of the draft, but I just read a very interesting comment on the Interwebs.

I've definitely been thinking about that sort of move.
Part of the reason they got what they did for Quinn, Roquan is the salary-eating end of it.
2023 Spring, prior to the draft would be a good time to offer to eat bad contracts for picks.
After 2023, I think the team will probably be too full on the cap and/or gearing up too much for a real run to do that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
karhu
MVP

You see it all the time in the NHL (except when Ron Francis is running an expansion team's first draft, I guess), but there's no reason why we can't buy some draft picks.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
dplank
Hall of Famer

We kinda did with the Quinn trade - we ate a lot of $$ in exchange for the pick we received (I presume it would have been a lower pick without us eating that money).

As for draft strategy, I think QB is off the table now and WR need has diminished significantly (although I wouldn't rule it out if a special talent is there and we are picking high). But a trade down scenario is very plausible for a team needing a QB, many folks have been excited about this possibility and Fields emergence has made it a viable play now IMO.

We basically need an entire new front 7, so I suspect a lot of draft capital will go there along with some FA spending. OT is still a need as is C. Lots of options for us to go BPA within a really wide group of positions.
This is a fan / opinion chat board. The opinions in this post are just that - my opinions. Please treat them as such unless otherwise notified. Have yourself a great day.
karhu
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:08 am We basically need an entire new front 7, so I suspect a lot of draft capital will go there along with some FA spending. OT is still a need as is C. Lots of options for us to go BPA within a really wide group of positions.
I hear ya, but I wonder if it's quite that bad. Jones is doing some good work, and unless I'm seeing things wrong, he's doing it as our NT. Watts started at 3T last game, which was...interesting. Muhammad is the defense's Mustipher.

I've got my prejudices (pocket-collapsers instead of gap-shooters at DT, for one), so I might be expecting too much here. But I like Jones as a third DT at worst, and I think that everyone would benefit from a real NT and an upgrade at 3T. And from Robinson becoming a full-time starter next year. Shooting the moon here, but if we end up with Jalen Carter and a third-day/FA nose tackle, the line could be downright viable.

Morrow's not a WLB for this system, but I think Weatherford will get an audition there, too. Add Sanborn as a Sam when the dust settles, and that could be good enough--at least good enough that a single new face could bring the LB corps together.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Moriarty
Head Coach

[*] Edge is supposed to be very strong in this draft, and I would agree. I expect them to almost certainly hit that in R1 or 2 (unless a big FA landing).
[*] At LB, To'o To'o, Pappoe, and Overshown are great, but - we need 1 minimum, maybe 2, and we're not going be the only ones interested in them.
[*] DT is also supposed to be really strong. I'm not seeing that, particularly. Especially for our system. At 3T I like Carter, who won't get to us, and then...nothing much strikes me as an improvement over what we have. 1T I like Mazi and Keeanu, but again, that's 2 guys and 31 teams to contend with.

But you should be able to land at least 2 strong additions, maybe 3, to the front 6 (it really is only 6 for this system) and 2-3 out of 6 can be a pretty impactful overhaul.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Heinz D.
Pro Bowler

The Tanehill thing quoted in the OP is a pipedream--something like that simply isn't happening. (And hard to say if the Titans want to get rid of him anyway.)

It's possible that they could work out some salary "eating" in return for a good pick-to-pick exchange, but I wouldn't expect that.

If the defense continues to not be able to stop ANYBODY, we have to face the fact that there will be a crazy draft scenario ahead. The Bears will NOT be the .500 team I predicted them to be. They will probably win 1-2 more games (at best) unless the defense improves somewhat.

And that slots them in a prime position to trade down. Or...pick a stud non-QB.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
crueltyabc
Head Coach

I look at what the Eagles have been doing and I want the Bears to take that approach. If the Bears can trade back later into the first and get a 2024 first that puts the team in total control going forward. You always have a pick you can flip or use both firsts to go up and get a QB if needed. Happily there is depth at OT and EDGE in this class that should make it possible to draft a good player at a premium position of need even into the middle of round where teams like ATL and IND will be looking to come up and get a QB. If there isn't a good option, I definitely see EDGE as the priority because it's so hard to buy good young edge help.
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:07 pm I look at what the Eagles have been doing and I want the Bears to take that approach. If the Bears can trade back later into the first and get a 2024 first that puts the team in total control going forward. You always have a pick you can flip or use both firsts to go up and get a QB if needed. Happily there is depth at OT and EDGE in this class that should make it possible to draft a good player at a premium position of need even into the middle of round where teams like ATL and IND will be looking to come up and get a QB. If there isn't a good option, I definitely see EDGE as the priority because it's so hard to buy good young edge help.
It's a quandry. The Bears might be in a position to draft a "generational" talent at DE or DT (Anderson, Alabama and Carter, Georgia) at 3. But they may be offered a king's ransom in draft picks including that #1 2024 pick. We all know that half the first round picks flame out, don't live up to their expectations but teams build for the long term drafting blue chippers at key positions (WR, OT, QB, DE, DT).
The Bears lost a close game to the Dolphins but why is it that the sun shined brighter, the air seemed cleaner, the sausages smelled sausagier, and the Soldier Field grass actually seemed greener.
Heinz D.
Pro Bowler

Grizzled wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:31 am It's a quandry. The Bears might be in a position to draft a "generational" talent at DE or DT (Anderson, Alabama and Carter, Georgia) at 3. But they may be offered a king's ransom in draft picks including that #1 2024 pick. We all know that half the first round picks flame out, don't live up to their expectations but teams build for the long term drafting blue chippers at key positions (WR, OT, QB, DE, DT).
Yeah...the last "generational talent" at DE has been a monumental disappointment, and may end up an outright bust.

I think Poles is "tanking for the tradedown"--and I don't foresee that changing...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
wab
Mod

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:56 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:31 am It's a quandry. The Bears might be in a position to draft a "generational" talent at DE or DT (Anderson, Alabama and Carter, Georgia) at 3. But they may be offered a king's ransom in draft picks including that #1 2024 pick. We all know that half the first round picks flame out, don't live up to their expectations but teams build for the long term drafting blue chippers at key positions (WR, OT, QB, DE, DT).
Yeah...the last "generational talent" at DE has been a monumental disappointment, and may end up an outright bust.

I think Poles is "tanking for the tradedown"--and I don't foresee that changing...
Chase Young is a bust?