Zachary Thomas

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The LA Rams just poached this OL kid from the Bears practice squad. He seemed to have a lot of potential. Good luck to him in LA :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

G08
Hall of Famer

Curious if he starts/plays.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I suppose that's the problem with trading down to accumulate a lot of late round picks. You can't find a place for them all on your active roster and if they have any potential they get poached by another team.
IE
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:57 pm I suppose that's the problem with trading down to accumulate a lot of late round picks. You can't find a place for them all on your active roster and if they have any potential they get poached by another team.
The logic is it isn't ideal but OK for this to happen - because Poles got multiple guys he liked, put them through the practice to see what they liked, and they picked the guy they like better (Carter).

This is sort of a testament to Poles' scouting.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
wab
Mod

I was really surprised that he didn’t make the active roster. Especially with the litany of injuries.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bummer basically
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears OL sucks, or is just not very good. This kid was on the practice squad. It says to me they didn't see him as an option at this point. So, not really a big loss. I mean Mustipher is on the roster and has played regularly when not injured.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:40 am Bears OL sucks, or is just not very good. This kid was on the practice squad. It says to me they didn't see him as an option at this point. So, not really a big loss. I mean Mustipher is on the roster and has played regularly when not injured.
Yep. If they thought he was any big loss they wouldn't have left him exposed on the PS.
Heinz D.
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:40 am Bears OL sucks, or is just not very good. This kid was on the practice squad. It says to me they didn't see him as an option at this point. So, not really a big loss. I mean Mustipher is on the roster and has played regularly when not injured.
I think Mustipher has pictures of George gettin' it on with farm animals...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Unfortunate. I liked this pick.
That is part of the downside of going for quantity - even if you hit on a lot of your later picks, you still can't roster them all, and you end up losing some.

While it seems funny that he wasn't rostered, with them keeping an unusually large 10 right now, when you break it down:

Thomas was inexperienced and moving to a new position. Doesn't play C, so however much Patrick & Mustipher might suck is completely irrelevant.

Jones, Whitehair, Mustipher, Jenkins, Reiff are the 5 starters
Dieter is a mandatory backup at C
Schofield is experienced, plays 3 positions, and playing solidly
Leatherwood is a high reward gamble
Borom is also young, with more experience
Carter is mostly the same background as Thomas - rookie, small program, moving inside. They picked him over Thomas. But we have no idea what he is, so that doesn't tell us much of anything. They could both be pretty promising, could both suck horribly. We don't know.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wulfy
MVP

Calling up Dieter vs Thomas just bit him in the arse.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:36 am Unfortunate. I liked this pick.
That is part of the downside of going for quantity - even if you hit on a lot of your later picks, you still can't roster them all, and you end up losing some.

While it seems funny that he wasn't rostered, with them keeping an unusually large 10 right now, when you break it down:

Thomas was inexperienced and moving to a new position. Doesn't play C, so however much Patrick & Mustipher might suck is completely irrelevant.

Jones, Whitehair, Mustipher, Jenkins, Reiff are the 5 starters
Dieter is a mandatory backup at C
Schofield is experienced, plays 3 positions, and playing solidly
Leatherwood is a high reward gamble
Borom is also young, with more experience
Carter is mostly the same background as Thomas - rookie, small program, moving inside. They picked him over Thomas. But we have no idea what he is, so that doesn't tell us much of anything. They could both be pretty promising, could both suck horribly. We don't know.
And he actually did make the initial roster, but they dropped him when they claimed Leatherwood on waivers. So it was basically Leatherwood over Thomas.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

That's a bummer. As Moriarty pointed out, when you get lots of late round picks, you can't protect them all. You see potential in each of them to a decree and have to figure out which guys give you short help and which guys you think you need to shelf longer before than can be a contributor.

After the draft I started reading up on all the OL guys we got and watching video. I liked him, but hopefully the guys we have left are able to contribute at the NFL to a higher degree than he does.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Very sad about this. At first, during the draft, I was excited but that waned when I first saw him play. As training camp went along, however, I saw marked improvement from him, so now I'm sad to see him go.

I believe he was drafted to become a LG to replace Whitehair. Ja'Tyre Carter to become our RG of the future. I think the reason we didn't protect Thomas was because we envision Leatherwood assuming that position. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Braxton Jones, Leatherwood, Patrick, Carter, and Jenkins starting across our OL next year, with a rookie Center drafted into the mix.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:21 pm Very sad about this. At first, during the draft, I was excited but that waned when I first saw him play. As training camp went along, however, I saw marked improvement from him, so now I'm sad to see him go.

I believe he was drafted to become a LG to replace Whitehair. Ja'Tyre Carter to become our RG of the future. I think the reason we didn't protect Thomas was because we envision Leatherwood assuming that position. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Braxton Jones, Leatherwood, Patrick, Carter, and Jenkins starting across our OL next year, with a rookie Center drafted into the mix.
I just go back and forth about what I think the team will do with Whitehair next year. IMO, if they think someone can play at his level or about you cut bait with him. But for some reason I just think they want to keep him. It seems a bit odd to me. Surely, the plan is to keep Jones at LT. I think Jenkins is our RG going forward (although I concede they may want him at RT, I don't think they will shift him again). So this leaves LG or RT to plug Leatherwood in at. Reading the tea leafs he seems to prefer the left side (more LT, but I don't think he will get that spot), so it seem the smart move is to part ways with Whitehair and put Leatherwood there.

But what do I know. They may not want to mess stuff up midseason (because we are winning so much) and the plan is to start Leatherwood at LT next year. :frustrated:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:42 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:21 pm Very sad about this. At first, during the draft, I was excited but that waned when I first saw him play. As training camp went along, however, I saw marked improvement from him, so now I'm sad to see him go.

I just go back and forth about what I think the team will do with Whitehair next year. IMO, if they think someone can play at his level or about you cut bait with him. But for some reason I just think they want to keep him. It seems a bit odd to me. Surely, the plan is to keep Jones at LT. I think Jenkins is our RG going forward (although I concede they may want him at RT, I don't think they will shift him again). So this leaves LG or RT to plug Leatherwood in at. Reading the tea leafs he seems to prefer the left side (more LT, but I don't think he will get that spot), so it seem the smart move is to part ways with Whitehair and put Leatherwood there.

But what do I know. They may not want to mess stuff up midseason (because we are winning so much) and the plan is to start Leatherwood at LT next year. :frustrated:
Although it's somewhat shitty to do to a vet there's just no reason to decide anyhting about Whitehair until the 53 man cut down space. They don't need the cap space by cutting him.

If he really ends up being like your 9th best OL because you just upgraded that much, then you can cut bait, but he has a chance to be an average starter and depth in OL is good to have.

I think/hope Jenkins at RG is the only sure bet.

Theres a roster spot for Jones and probably Borom, but not necessarily a starting spot for either. Everything after that I think is in play for OL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What evidence exists to suggest that Leatherwood can perform anywhere near as well as Whitehair does at LG? ZERO. So dumping a known, solid commodity for a washout at other similar positions is "the amart move"???
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Middleguard
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:18 pm
What evidence exists to suggest that Leatherwood can perform anywhere near as well as Whitehair does at LG? ZERO. So dumping a known, solid commodity for a washout at other similar positions is "the a smart move"???[/quote]

Clearly, the Bears should sit Fields, let Siemian take the bruises if necessary, and experiment with the OL for awhile.
Middleguard
MVP

Middleguard wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:10 pm
What evidence exists to suggest that Leatherwood can perform anywhere near as well as Whitehair does at LG? ZERO. So dumping a known, solid commodity for a washout at other similar positions is "the a smart move"???
Clearly, the Bears should sit Fields, let Siemian take the bruises if necessary, and experiment with the OL for awhile.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

What evidence exists to suggest that Leatherwood can perform anywhere near as well as Whitehair does at LG? ZERO. So dumping a known, solid commodity for a washout at other similar positions is "the amart move"???
To answer your question, no.

Your reply sounds as if you think I am of the opinion that we need to simply dump Whitehair and insert Leatherwood. Not what I said or was implying at all.

Did you see where I said I go back and forth about what to do with him? You are correct I have zero evidence Leatherwood can out perform Whitehair. I don't see the practices, but you know who does? The coaching staff. So when I talk about "what the team will do" it will be based upon what they are seeing and how they see Leathewood and Whitehair in practice and for the future of them.

Dumping a know commodity and getting lessor results is clearly not a a smart move. Hence, that is why I said "if they think someone can play at his level or about (the same level) you cut bait with him." Now granted I should have said the might cut bait with him, because there are reason to keep him for depth if they can afford him, but that's a high price for a backup.

Hope that helps you with my thought process and view of the situation.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Middleguard wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:12 pm
Middleguard wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:10 pm What evidence exists to suggest that Leatherwood can perform anywhere near as well as Whitehair does at LG? ZERO. So dumping a known, solid commodity for a washout at other similar positions is "the a smart move"???
I guess that would be the silver lining we could find with Fields being out.
wulfy
MVP

Middleguard wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:10 pm What evidence exists to suggest that Leatherwood can perform anywhere near as well as Whitehair does at LG? ZERO. So dumping a known, solid commodity for a washout at other similar positions is "the a smart move"???
LOL. Trevor Siemian, human meat shield.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:58 am

LOL. Trevor Siemian, human meat shield.
Operation Human Shield
wab
Mod

Teams let go of known commodities for unknown ones literally every offseason.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:52 am
Mikefive wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:18 pm What evidence exists to suggest that Leatherwood can perform anywhere near as well as Whitehair does at LG? ZERO. So dumping a known, solid commodity for a washout at other similar positions is "the amart move"???
Teams let go of known commodities for unknown ones literally every offseason.
Very true - something of a bit of a False Choice here though

Whitehair has been really good this year when healthy