The Hunting & Fishing Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:39 am What was the distance? Never shot black powder but it's a good group
75 yards. We aren’t allowed magnification so it’s open sights or 1x optics. I have a 1x sig red dot on it.

100-125 is my max distance I am comfortable with shooting a deer with it, but I was very happy with the group.

1.1” high at 75 puts it dead on at 100 yards, 2” low at 125 and almost 6” low at 150. So it starts dropping quick past 100.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well your dead on
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Thread has slowed down.

Awesome fishing and hunting the last few weeks. Walleye and perch are hitting, the trouble is finding a day the wind isn't blowing to hard to put a boat on the water and I have to work, wind always blows on the weekends it seems.

Pheasant and Waterfowl season have started here, took my 83 year old father, son, 2 nephews and BIL out the opening weekend, we did well and had some fun. 36 ducks in two days. Marinated in lawry's herb and garlic (takes the gamey/duck out of them) overnight and made kabobs and poppers with them. It was excellent.

Took the wife, son, daughter and SIL out on pheasant opener, tough day but we managed 7 just hunting public within 10 miles of the house. Lots of hens and got the dog some good work along with exercise and fresh air for all.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bow season (deer) has started. My son has seen a few but not close enough to get a shot. He is kind of freaked out as there have been bobcat sightings in the area he hunts. Told him to take my 9mm with him but he hasn't. He is my youngest (23) and he usually gets what he is hunting for. Good hunter. He is a flat liner, doesn't get amped up out in the woods.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:34 pm Bow season (deer) has started. My son has seen a few but not close enough to get a shot. He is kind of freaked out as there have been bobcat sightings in the area he hunts. Told him to take my 9mm with him but he hasn't. He is my youngest (23) and he usually gets what he is hunting for. Good hunter. He is a flat liner, doesn't get amped up out in the woods.
I wouldn't worry too much about bobcats, they are pretty skittish when it comes to being anywhere near a human. I have seen two in my lifetime of hunting and both were already on the dead run away from me.

We have had a couple lion sightings up here with the corn coming out. I saw one once at about 400 yards out elk hunting, even carrying a 300 win mag it was an eery feeling. Had the same feeling a couple years later coming on a fresh track while hunting in a snowstorm.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bobcats won't attack a person. They are not aggressive.

Good thing you saw the mountain lion. It's the one you don't see that could be problematic as they will attack people.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Xee
Site Admin

That reminds me of this video that was posted recently:

Here's some background on it:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/ ... ion-idaho/

They don't mention anything about it in the article, but some people on social media said the reason the cat continued to come at him was the hunter acted like prey, continually retreating. They went on to say it wasn't until he stepped forward did the lion back off. No idea if there's any truth to that (probably not).
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:54 pm That reminds me of this video that was posted recently:

Here's some background on it:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/ ... ion-idaho/

They don't mention anything about it in the article, but some people on social media said the reason the cat continued to come at him was the hunter acted like prey, continually retreating. They went on to say it wasn't until he stepped forward did the lion back off. No idea if there's any truth to that (probably not).
Don't ever retreat nor run if attacked by a mountain lion, it triggers their predator instinct (watch your house cats to see this). Yell, make loud noises. Of course, firing the pistol probably helped also.

The one I'm more concerned about is bear attacks. I live in an area with a ton of black bears and some brown bears. The literature on bear attacks all say how you act depends on the type of bear attacking. The last thing which would be going through my mind if attacked is trying to sort out the type of bear and trying to remember what to do.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

How can you post personal photos?
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:22 am How can you post personal photos?
There's an "attachements" tab underneath the text box where you can add photos.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Seeing a few of the migrating waterfowl coming in now. My dog says she is ready.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I hope everyone out this week are getting good looks. I saw a couple of doe but my hunt ended early when my daughter broke her arm. Best of luck to everyone
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Son got his first buck, 5x5 whitetail. Not huge but heavy and lots of character. I had lots of chances at smaller buck, but passed.

Daughter got a nice 5x5

Son in law got one with weird horns.

Weather went from 10 degrees and snow to 60 degrees over the week.

On to doe hunting and muzzleloader season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by southdakbearfan on Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:35 pm I hope everyone out this week are getting good looks. I saw a couple of doe but my hunt ended early when my daughter broke her arm. Best of luck to everyone
WTF? Hope she's alright. Did she fall out of a tree blind?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:41 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:35 pm I hope everyone out this week are getting good looks. I saw a couple of doe but my hunt ended early when my daughter broke her arm. Best of luck to everyone
She was trying to do a one legged back flip while her friend held up her other leg. Shes fine.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:16 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:41 pm

She was trying to do a one legged back flip while her friend held up her other leg. Shes fine.
Glad to hear it. Ah, youth. I pull a muscle getting out of my armchair.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:40 am Seeing a few of the migrating waterfowl coming in now. My dog says she is ready.
What a lovely dog :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:32 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:40 am Seeing a few of the migrating waterfowl coming in now. My dog says she is ready.
What a lovely dog :thumbsup:
She had a very very good waterfowl season and is a great pet as well.
JosephVJarvis
Rookie

Kids did a great job. Nice fish.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Cold and snowy here in NE PA. More snow on the way. A couple of pics from the yard. Most deer we've had in the back yard was 26 at one time. Biggest buck was a massive 10 pointer, the ground shook when he walked.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The polar vortex bomb blizzard will seriously curtail my ice fishing this winter and I am pissed. Just got done snow blowing, 5 hours worth, to clear the driveway, parking, out to shed and dog kennel and 40' back away from the house.

We have about 2' of snow on the level, but 40-50mph winds made some 8' drifts in my back yard.

I went over to the lake and snow has pushed the ice down, so there is a lot of slush, one permanent shack that someone didn't retrieve off the lake before the blizzard is 1/2 way through the ice and doesn't look like it will be possible to save. That's a tough lesson for someone.

Maybe tomorrow night, if they clear the access to the lake, me and the son in law will take the maiden ice fishing voyage for the year.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Tennessee grouse are exceedingly rare. Mostly only found at the highest elevations, in steep terrain.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Snow on the lakes isn’t as bad as feared in most areas. Got the 4 wheeler out with the portable Monday and caught a nice limit of crappies. 19” of ice.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:30 am Snow on the lakes isn’t as bad as feared in most areas. Got the 4 wheeler out with the portable Monday and caught a nice limit of crappies. 19” of ice.
You have 19" of ice? Central Wisconsin we got over 6 but not close to 12.

My work fucked me 2 weeks ago. I was supposed to start a 1st shift assignment m-f for a year. I had plans to ice race the quads with my brothers. However a week before the shift they canceled it due to staffing. So no ice racing for me. They were hoping to start this weekend but they need more ice. It got warm here last week.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:41 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:30 am Snow on the lakes isn’t as bad as feared in most areas. Got the 4 wheeler out with the portable Monday and caught a nice limit of crappies. 19” of ice.

My work fucked me 2 weeks ago. I was supposed to start a 1st shift assignment m-f for a year. I had plans to ice race the quads with my brothers. However a week before the shift they canceled it due to staffing. So no ice racing for me. They were hoping to start this weekend but they need more ice. It got warm here last week.
Yep, we were -15 to -20 for a couple weeks right before Christmas.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:19 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:41 pm

Yep, we were -15 to -20 for a couple weeks right before Christmas.
So a buddy of mine works on an oil rig in South Dakota. I talked to him the other day. Now wisconsin isnt exactly known for balmy winters. South Dokota and central Wisconsin are essentially on the same longitude.

I'm really suprised at how cold he says it gets out there. Like before christmas we got negative temps. Bad windchill. The numbers he said were much worse. He says Dakota winters are much colder in general. I honestly didnt know. Stay warm out there.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Buddy heater on. And yes those -15 to -20 days combined with 40mph winds suck.

Up here in Northeast SD many days we are right there with the coldest places in the lower 48.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Might be time for a new shack next year.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Never tried ice fishing.

I've been spending the past few weeks teaching my daughter (and also fishing buddy) how to drive.

We've been going to a couple forest preserve parking lots to practice then in traffic during what we call "fishing time" on the weekends.

Here is how I'm trying to scratch the fishing itch this offseason. I've been watching this guy's YouTube channel for some time now. Very down to Earth and peaceful. Just a guy in a kayak, or on a frozen lake, fishing. No drama.

Definitely recommend that you guys check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/@ndyakangler
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Stress relief Sunday!