Game Balls and Horns Wk 12 vs NYJ

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

spudbear
MVP

The bad luck with losing close games has been extended to injuries. Next man up turned into is there anyone left to play DB. Bears were only down by 7 at the half and got the ball out of the locker room, but a disastrous 3rd quarter made it another loss. It looked like the OL was giving Siemian time to throw in the first half and opening up a few rushing lanes. Unfortunately White had all kinds of time to throw and once again the Bears made a (nearly) debut QB look like an All-Pro.

SIEMIAN ZONE
Agreed with the decision to give Fields a game off. The first two series for the Bears O was nearly a thing of beauty. Siemian was mixing it up, throwing to spots and trusting the WR's to catch the ball in a tight window. The mid-level passing was working and went deep a few times to Claypool. The O seemed to turn when Siemian made a bootleg QB sneak and ran into three Jets defenders. Second half was just fugly. Don't need much more evidence of why Trevor is a backup.

GAME BALLS
- Trenton Gill: Good punting job in the rain, good recovery on the dropped ball. He got a lot of work today.

HORNS
- Rest of the team: poor tackling, too many mistakes on offense, some big punt returns by the Jets. Not much fun to watch after the first quarter.

Bears go into GB week banged up and on a 5 game losing streak. A few weeks ago many were hoping to pound lumps on a struggling cheesehead team. Now? Well, you play to WIN the game so maybe the team gets so damned tired of losing that they rally together and figure it out. I hope.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Horns to the shitty officials again.

Balls to Pringle Monty and Claypool I guess they did the best
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:23 pm The bad luck with losing close games has been extended to injuries. Next man up turned into is there anyone left to play DB. Bears were only down by 7 at the half and got the ball out of the locker room, but a disastrous 3rd quarter made it another loss. It looked like the OL was giving Siemian time to throw in the first half and opening up a few rushing lanes. Unfortunately White had all kinds of time to throw and once again the Bears made a (nearly) debut QB look like an All-Pro.

SIEMIAN ZONE
Agreed with the decision to give Fields a game off. The first two series for the Bears O was nearly a thing of beauty. Siemian was mixing it up, throwing to spots and trusting the WR's to catch the ball in a tight window. The mid-level passing was working and went deep a few times to Claypool. The O seemed to turn when Siemian made a bootleg QB sneak and ran into three Jets defenders. Second half was just fugly. Don't need much more evidence of why Trevor is a backup.

GAME BALLS
- Trenton Gill: Good punting job in the rain, good recovery on the dropped ball. He got a lot of work today.

HORNS
- Rest of the team: poor tackling, too many mistakes on offense, some big punt returns by the Jets. Not much fun to watch after the first quarter.

Bears go into GB week banged up and on a 5 game losing streak. A few weeks ago many were hoping to pound lumps on a struggling cheesehead team. Now? Well, you play to WIN the game so maybe the team gets so damned tired of losing that they rally together and figure it out. I hope.
Gotta agree here, no one besides the punter stood out.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Game balls:

Pringle
Sanborn
Claypool (graded on a curve)

Horns:

Borom
The front 7 not named Jack Sanborn
Vildor
wab
Mod

Borom had a pretty rough game.

I thought Evans brought some shiftiness to the RB position that’s been missing since Herbert went down.

Pringle and Claypool made some nice catches.

Jenkins was destroyed people. Jones had a decent game.

Sanborn was everywhere. Johnson looked good.

I think I’ve seen enough of Pettis.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:32 pm Borom had a pretty rough game.

I thought Evans brought some shiftiness to the RB position that’s been missing since Herbert went down.

Pringle and Claypool made some nice catches.

Jenkins was destroyed people. Jones had a decent game.

Sanborn was everywhere. Johnson looked good.

I think I’ve seen enough of Pettis.
Second half suggests the coaches feel similarly about Pettis.

Sanborn was very good.

Borom was rough as sandpaper today — rusty and plodding, like he wasnt planning to play. Not a great look for him. Jenkins looked very good.

Ebner showed some burst on that one reception in the first quarter and then turned invisible again.

Pringle needs like five more games like today. So does Claypool, frankly.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
spudbear
MVP

At first I was glad to see Jenkins-Borom back in the game together. I didn't know if Jenkins was still ouchy since he didn't start but he seemed to do well, tougher to tell with Borom besides the whiff block. Coaches will have to decide if they want to evaluate Borom in the remaining games or if they already know what they have.

VJJ was getting more snaps, but was not sure if he replaced someone in particular. Unless the weather conditions are awful they may as well have Velus return punts rather than Pettis. He's too much of a weapon to keep out of returning, as you can tell when teams kick away from him on kickoffs.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:21 pm
Ebner showed some burst on that one reception in the first quarter and then turned invisible again.
That was Evans!
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Monty never gives up and I love the guy for it. It's weird to see so many people shitting on him in chat for being a "try hard." But he and Evans both played hard today.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:44 pm Monty never gives up and I love the guy for it. It's weird to see so many people shitting on him in chat for being a "try hard." But he and Evans both played hard today.
He had a good day today. But it was on a slop field, which favors simpler power running. And he's still running a bad sub-4 ypc for the season.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Hard to give out Game Balls after an ugly defeat.

Monty ran hard and was productive against a quality Jets defense:
14 carries for 79 yards (5.6 ypc) plus 3 catches for 34 yards (11.3 ypc).

Pringle made a couple of tough catches, but they're just consolation prizes because he's not going to be back next season. He has no reason to stay even if the Bears for some reason wanted him to.

Sanborn was excellent in the first half in particular. He finished with 15 tackles, 10 of them solo, 1 for a loss. (He would have had a second TFL if the play wasn't wiped out by a Jets illegal shift.)

I thought DHC was solid. He finished with 9 tackles, 6 solo, 1 for a loss and 1 QB hit.

The DL is so woeful though that the defense just can't stop the run or pass. Combined with an injury ravaged secondary it's impossible to see how it's going to contain any offense for the remainder of the season.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:59 pm
Pringle made a couple of tough catches, but they're just consolation prizes because he's not going to be back next season. He has no reason to stay even if the Bears for some reason wanted him to.
Why so sure of this?

1 WR spot is still wide open. Harry has obviously been written off.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
EricTighe
MVP

I will give a Game ball to Jones, Whitehair, and Jenkins. I can't count how many times these guys were playing to the whistle blew. Very impressed.

Sanborn, who IMO looked like the only guy who showed up other than Eddie.

Horns

Ok, I have been hoping for Mustipher and Borom. Actually maybe even praying, a lot! But they are not good. Borom going inside to help one of our best O-linemen to allow the outside rusher to fly at our Qb is inexcusable. It happened a few times.

The biggest horn is we may not have enough money to fix all our issues. I am getting to old to keep hoping.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RustinFields wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:42 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:21 pm
That was Evans!
It totally was, my bad.

Evans had a decent game.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Game Balls - Monty, Sanborn, Claypool

Horns - the rest of the defense, most of the OL, defensive coordinator (do we have one?), injury bug.

Sit Fields until after the bye. If they don't I will really question whether or not Poles thinks he's our QB moving forward.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm giving a game ball to Siemian. His play insure that people here won't be pimping for him to start over Fields so that Fields can watch how to run the offense.

Thank you Trevor.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Game ball: Poles 2023 NFL Draft
Horns: Everyone, that was ugly
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Seimien, Pringle and Claypool get Gameballs for the offense, Hicks gets one for coming in for Jackson and actually tackling guys instead of just hitting them.

The entire Defense except Sanborn, Johnson and Houston-Carson get Horns. Most of the offense too for that matter.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:05 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:59 pm
Why so sure of this?

1 WR spot is still wide open. Harry has obviously been written off.
I just don't see it. Between injury and a lacklustre passing attack he's only been targeted 7 times this season and caught 5. He came in with a chance to establish himself as a key piece of this offense and earn a nice contract, but now he's dropped down the pecking order with the arrival of Claypool and everyone expects Poles to be shopping for another quality WR in the offseason either in free agency or the draft or perhaps both. Maybe he lights it up the rest of the way, but that's going to be hard to do with this offense and if he does then it will just make him a more attractive lower-priced WR for a team where he has a better chance to contribute and maximise his earnings.
wab
Mod

To be fair to Pringle, he’s been on IR for the majority of the season.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:47 pm To be fair to Pringle, he’s been on IR for the majority of the season.
Personally I can't imagine the mindset of someone seeing him making those QB-friendly catches in hard-core man-on-man, contested-ball action ... and dismissing him so easily. wtf. That's football badassery.

Same thing with Horsted, actually... guy was just plain money if a ball was remotely catchable. That's one move Poles made that bummed me out, because JF1 has needed more reliable pass catchers all season long.

But hey - we're looking forward now.... I sure hope Pringle comes back because he's damn good.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'd bring Pringle back on another cheap 1 yr deal as a depth piece, but he's shown nothing but one nice catch. And IIRC he was downright ARob'ian in his "blocking" out there.