Eddie Jackson to IR

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears put Eddie Jackson on rhe IR list with a still undisclosed foot injury. It's almost certain that Jackson is done for the year. The team signed A. J. Thomas off the practice squad as a replacement. So now safety becomes another black hole on the D.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
karhu
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:09 pm The Bears put Eddie Jackson on rhe IR list with a still undisclosed foot injury. It's almost certain that Jackson is done for the year. The team signed A. J. Thomas off the practice squad as a replacement. So now safety becomes another black hole on the D.
That stinks, and it does put some pressure on us looking toward next year, but let's be honest: Eddie's the girl with the curl. A different kind of safety might give us more of what we need.

[/bluesky]
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

karhu wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:13 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:09 pm The Bears put Eddie Jackson on rhe IR list with a still undisclosed foot injury. It's almost certain that Jackson is done for the year. The team signed A. J. Thomas off the practice squad as a replacement. So now safety becomes another black hole on the D.
That stinks, and it does put some pressure on us looking toward next year, but let's be honest: Eddie's the girl with the curl. A different kind of safety might give us more of what we need.

[/bluesky]
He had elevated his game this year. I believe his dead money hit would be $8M if they decide to move on. Or they might try to renegotiate s salary.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I posted this in the Keepers? (Not FF) thread, but it is probably more relevant here: Jackson was leading the Pro Bowl vote at free safety in the update the NFL released yesterday.
dplank
Hall of Famer

We have plenty of holes, no need to create new ones IMO. EJax played well and should be a Bear next season.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:43 pm We have plenty of holes, no need to create new ones IMO. EJax played well and should be a Bear next season.
Unfortunately he may not be healthy for a while.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ugh just saw that, Lisfranc. That changes my opinion, he may not fully recover
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ugh Lisfranc?
malk
Head Coach

Shit man. I may not rate Jackson as a player but that's a nasty one, feel terrible for him. Really hope he makes a full and swift recovery.

I don't know how it would work but I wish there was a designation that teams could give that allowed them to pay injured players and not eat the cap hit. I don't want him back next year but also don't want him cut like that.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

That sucks Eddie was really playing well and looked like a long term fit. I hope he makes a full recovery.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

That stinks.

If Brisker also misses next week, I'd like to see Hicks get lots of reps at safety.

Let's see the young guys.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Safety class in FA is very deep.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It's being reported as a LizFranc. They are notoriously difficult to fully heal. Ejax returned to his 2018 form this year, he plays so much better when he's not the safety in the box. Big loss going forward.
wab
Mod

Has anyone thought about the potential of Gordon moving over to safety as a hedge against Jackson's injury? I seem to recall a lot of pre-draft talk about his stiffness as a corner and that he might project better as a FS.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:09 pm Has anyone thought about the potential of Gordon moving over to safety as a hedge against Jackson's injury? I seem to recall a lot of pre-draft talk about his stiffness as a corner and that he might project better as a FS.
Haven't and hadn't.

His measurables are ok for that idea.
Although they (great shuttle/cone/short area quickness, ok 40/long speed) suit NB perfectly and are kind of reversed from FS ideal
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm guessing that Jackson has played his last game in a Bears uniform. Lis Franc injuries are notorious for not healing properly, or at all. Will he play again in the NFL? Probably. The Bears will hang on to him next year, trying to get the injury to heal in time for the season, and it just won't. He may see one game, but that's it.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:18 am I'm guessing that Jackson has played his last game in a Bears uniform. Lis Franc injuries are notorious for not healing properly, or at all. Will he play again in the NFL? Probably. The Bears will hang on to him next year, trying to get the injury to heal in time for the season, and it just won't. He may see one game, but that's it.
Unfortunately this is probably the case.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:18 am I'm guessing that Jackson has played his last game in a Bears uniform. Lis Franc injuries are notorious for not healing properly, or at all. Will he play again in the NFL? Probably. The Bears will hang on to him next year, trying to get the injury to heal in time for the season, and it just won't. He may see one game, but that's it.
I remember this pretty much ended Mike Brown's career.

For a safety like Eddie Jackson, when your game is range and ball skills, losing a step is going to cost you dearly.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Is there a more specific reason we can't cut him? I thought the last of his injury guarantees was only for 2022

Though I am not as up on the mechanics of cutting injured guys as I should be (though why can't we release with injury designation and/or settlement?)

"Contract Notes
Eddie Jackson signed a 5 year contract extension on January 3, 2020 with the Chicago Bears. The contract is worth $58,400,000 in new money with $22,000,000 virtually guaranteed at signing. Jackson was due $735,000 in 2020 under his rookie contract. Jackson will receive a $12 million signing bonus, virtually guaranteed salaries in 2020 and 2021 (the two salaries will become full guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2020 waiver period, February 5, 2020). Jackson has an injury guarantee in 2022, worth $11 million, which will vest to a full guarantee on the 3rd day of the 2022 league year. The total new money amount listed for this contract is based that Jackson was slated to earn the Proven Performance Escalator (PPE) for 2020, which would have raised his salary to ~$2.144 to ~$2.150 million from the previous $735,000. Using this new money total aligns with the reports from the player's agency.

The Bears converted $7.95 million of Jackson's salary into a signing bonus in 2021 to create $6.36 million in cap space. They also added a void contract year for cap purposes. His cap number will increase by $1.59 million in each season of his contract."
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:22 pm Is there a more specific reason we can't cut him? I thought the last of his injury guarantees was only for 2022

Though I am not as up on the mechanics of cutting injured guys as I should be (though why can't we release with injury designation and/or settlement?)

"Contract Notes
Eddie Jackson signed a 5 year contract extension on January 3, 2020 with the Chicago Bears. The contract is worth $58,400,000 in new money with $22,000,000 virtually guaranteed at signing. Jackson was due $735,000 in 2020 under his rookie contract. Jackson will receive a $12 million signing bonus, virtually guaranteed salaries in 2020 and 2021 (the two salaries will become full guaranteed on the 3rd day of the 2020 waiver period, February 5, 2020). Jackson has an injury guarantee in 2022, worth $11 million, which will vest to a full guarantee on the 3rd day of the 2022 league year. The total new money amount listed for this contract is based that Jackson was slated to earn the Proven Performance Escalator (PPE) for 2020, which would have raised his salary to ~$2.144 to ~$2.150 million from the previous $735,000. Using this new money total aligns with the reports from the player's agency.

The Bears converted $7.95 million of Jackson's salary into a signing bonus in 2021 to create $6.36 million in cap space. They also added a void contract year for cap purposes. His cap number will increase by $1.59 million in each season of his contract."

See this previous discussion:
viewtopic.php?p=306786#p306786

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:39 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:22 pm Is there a more specific reason we can't cut him? I thought the last of his injury guarantees was only for 2022

"Contract Notes

I guess I don't understand then - Why would a team/player ever feel the need to have an Injury Guarantee in the contract then?

I have to be missed something here because hurt guys get cut all the time - AND players would be making sure they didn't pass physicals way, way more often

Could it be you just can't cut an injured player (without injury settlement) that season? Next season all bets are off? (Hence why you'd want injury guarantees)

I have read all the stuff that you are saying that you can't cut an injured player - I just feel like Im missing something
Shadow
Assistant Coach

RichH55 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:13 pm

I guess I don't understand then - Why would a team/player ever feel the need to have an Injury Guarantee in the contract then?

I have to be missed something here because hurt guys get cut all the time - AND players would be making sure they didn't pass physicals way, way more often

Could it be you just can't cut an injured player (without injury settlement) that season? Next season all bets are off? (Hence why you'd want injury guarantees)

I have read all the stuff that you are saying that you can't cut an injured player - I just feel like Im missing something
I think the injury clause is just a way to add more guaranteed money to their contracts without actually doing so. It is that big fat IF in that contract. It only becomes Guaranteed IF they are on the roster on the first day of the new league year. Or if they come into that year already injured. Give teams an early out on a contract with the an easy way to keep a good player if they wish too. Not performing? Just cut him at seasons end, no extra money owed. Agents love that clause because they can add those sums to the total guarantees they got their clients. Every time a contract is announced as the biggest ever, everyone waits until the real numbers come out. Because so much of it is smoke and mirrors.

I personally think Eddie is gone next year. IR says he is done for 2022 and the Bears are on to plan B. He has no more guaranteed moneys, coming off Lisfranc and would have been or is the highest salary on the Bears roster.
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
dplank
Hall of Famer

It’s all about his recovery outlook IMO. He was playing well and trending towards a pro bowl appearance this year. And that’s no surprise at all to me, he’s an elite roaming safety when played in position properly. Not to schelp my own Johnson here, but I called it the moment Pagano was hired he would fuck it up, and bitched three years straight that he was being misused as a box safety. Then called his resurgence when he went into a cover 2 base as I knew he’d be roaming the deep middle again and sure enough he looked like the old Eddie. Pagano is the worst, what a fucking moron move that was.

If he is tracking for full recovery, you keep that guy. If he’s not, which I fear given his injury, you move on.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Given EJax's resurgence and the fact that we have no salary cap constraints of any kind whatsoever I have no issue keeping him.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:17 am

I think the injury clause is just a way to add more guaranteed money to their contracts without actually doing so. It is that big fat IF in that contract. It only becomes Guaranteed IF they are on the roster on the first day of the new league year. Or if they come into that year already injured. Give teams an early out on a contract with the an easy way to keep a good player if they wish too. Not performing? Just cut him at seasons end, no extra money owed. Agents love that clause because they can add those sums to the total guarantees they got their clients. Every time a contract is announced as the biggest ever, everyone waits until the real numbers come out. Because so much of it is smoke and mirrors.

I personally think Eddie is gone next year. IR says he is done for 2022 and the Bears are on to plan B. He has no more guaranteed moneys, coming off Lisfranc and would have been or is the highest salary on the Bears roster.

Very true about Agents wanting to inflate the contract numbers and the guarantee numbers

But even then - why do it with injury guarantees? They always report the "but X only guaranteed for injury only". So why not just have the Guaranteed if on Roster in 2023 - they report that as a guarantee as well

I just don't get it - I suppose

On Eddie - Yes, I think Recovery will play a role to be sure. BUT I think the bigger picture thing is : This is a good FA crop for Safeties and Eddie - fully recovered or not - is going to be 29 next year.

If you can get a guy whom you think is of similar caliber - who is also 26 rather than 29? Not coming off a major injury? Cap hit in the 1st year will probably be lower too?

That's gonna be hard for the team to pass up IMHO

Bates maybe?
malk
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 am Given EJax's resurgence and the fact that we have no salary cap constraints of any kind whatsoever I have no issue keeping him.
It's zero sum. Keeping him if he isn't likely produce absolutely takes away from us signing, or resigning a player that will. We've got holes all over the roster and when they start to get filled the salary cap will look very different very quickly.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

If I was guessing, which I will be, I think it is that the NFL contract rules are so freaking confusing that unless you truly know what you are doing, you are walking into a field of landmines. Good luck with that Roquan.

The whole guaranteed injury clause is also completely confusing me. But I remember the whole thing with Merril Hoge being a big deal and they simply couldn't cut him and that was in the off-season if i recall correctly.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:05 pm some optimism on his condition:
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... on-update/
I mean. That would be fantastic if it played out that way. Jackson has several frustrating traits to his game. But he’s really talented and is a good leader. I’d love to have him healthy and on the field in 2023.
dplank
Hall of Famer

No surgery is good news for sure. Swings the pendulum back to his return, which is a good thing IMO. We have our secondary mostly covered, need a 3rd CB and we are good there. Allows us to focus on the lines more.