New OL projection

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It's not a terrible idea, but I think it makes more sense to leave both where they've been playing and first see if scheme differences don't solve Leatherwood's problems.

If not, at some point, you could try and see - can Leatherwood only play on the left and maybe Jones can play either side equally.
(They really aren't that different though. Big edge to Leatherwood on the vertical, inch longer arms on Jones. https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=1 ... 105&pos=OT )

And if that flops, then LG is probably the last stop before End of the Line.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:05 pm Context is important guys. Leatherwood failed in a scheme that was literally the opposite of his skillset. The Raiders ran a pure power scheme that relied on drive blocking.

Why the Raiders picked the absolute worst guy suited for that scheme, in the first round no less, is an absolute mystery.

Leatherwood is an incredible athlete with elite feet and movement skills. He's long and excels when he can use his hands to manipulate rushers and redirect them. He's not going to drive people off the ball.

He was also always going to be a project, and for the Raiders to ask him to step in right away into a scheme that was a terrible fit for his skills, was always going to fail.

Essentially his a more athletic and more talented Braxton Jones.
I like Leatherwood well enough.

Ourlads listed him as a guard prospect coming out (and I tend to lean their way when it comes to offensive linemen), but like Braxton Jones, he certainly has the physical tools to make it at tackle. (He and Jones both have 7-foot-plus wingspans.) He certainly has had better coaching and weight training at Alabama than Jones did at Southern Utah — no small part of why I remain pretty darn high on Jones' potential.

Leatherwood certainly looks to have been set up to fail in Las Vegas. Reclamation projects rarely work, so I can't say I'm wholly optimistic, but Leatherwood has the tangible traits and intangible reputation from college ball to make this one a success. Time will tell.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Thank you wab and thunder spirit for an interesting exchange about the Bears tackles of the future, hopefully.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 pm
wab wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:05 pm Context is important guys. Leatherwood failed in a scheme that was literally the opposite of his skillset. The Raiders ran a pure power scheme that relied on drive blocking.

Why the Raiders picked the absolute worst guy suited for that scheme, in the first round no less, is an absolute mystery.

Leatherwood is an incredible athlete with elite feet and movement skills. He's long and excels when he can use his hands to manipulate rushers and redirect them. He's not going to drive people off the ball.

He was also always going to be a project, and for the Raiders to ask him to step in right away into a scheme that was a terrible fit for his skills, was always going to fail.

Essentially his a more athletic and more talented Braxton Jones.
I like Leatherwood well enough.

Ourlads listed him as a guard prospect coming out (and I tend to lean their way when it comes to offensive linemen), but like Braxton Jones, he certainly has the physical tools to make it at tackle. (He and Jones both have 7-foot-plus wingspans.) He certainly has had better coaching and weight training at Alabama than Jones did at Southern Utah — no small part of why I remain pretty darn high on Jones' potential.

Leatherwood certainly looks to have been set up to fail in Las Vegas. Reclamation projects rarely work, so I can't say I'm wholly optimistic, but Leatherwood has the tangible traits and intangible reputation from college ball to make this one a success. Time will tell.

This is true generally on reclamation projects to be sure.

I would say guys who fail at Tackle and then play well at Guard - that is probably one of the higher success rates for Reclamation Projects
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

pus wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:06 pm Thank you wab and thunder spirit for an interesting exchange about the Bears tackles of the future, hopefully.
Seconded :thumbsup:

Thanks wab and thunderspirit :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Just sifting through the OL prospects in the draft it strikes me that there are so many more left tackles than right tackles.

Can anyone provide me with some insight as to why that might be? Is it just a statistical anomaly or is there a good football reason?

Dawand Jones looks like an interesting RT.

EricTighe
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:46 pm I’m hoping Leatherwood shows something. I’ve seen enough Borom and Reiff has no future here, let’s see Leatherwood play out these last 5 games and get a look if he’s worth keeping
I think his confidence needs sot to be rebuilt. The Raiders screwed him up. So no need to put him out there unless he is ready.

But it would be nice to see what he has.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:47 pm Just sifting through the OL prospects in the draft it strikes me that there are so many more left tackles than right tackles.

Can anyone provide me with some insight as to why that might be? Is it just a statistical anomaly or is there a good football reason?

Dawand Jones looks like an interesting RT.
Are you talking about where they play in college or what they project to?

In the case of the latter, you have to consider the complexity of players projecting to multiple positions.
If the former - that's easy. Because teams tend to put their best lineman (especially best T) at LT. Therefore, most NFL T prospects are currently playing LT. Plenty won't stay there, though - either because they can't, or because the team drafting them is already happy with their LT.

wab
Mod

A very high number of RT's in the NFL today were LTs in college.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I see, probably explains it.

What qualities do players need to move from RT to LT?

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm I see, probably explains it.

It's not very common that someone goes from college RT to pro LT (as a starter that the team is happy with, not just a stopgap or injury fill-in), but it does happen.
You have to have pro-level quickness and agility, as well as just overall ability.

Dawand Jones, for example, profiles strictly as a RT or G, but not LT. He's massive and isn't thought (sometimes Combine changes minds, but I wouldn't hold your breath in this case...) to have anywhere near the footspeed and agility required on the left side. There's also a small chance he would profile differently if he lost a LOT of weight. But usually guys who are expecting to be drafted have already gotten themselves fairly close to the best shape they're able/willing to by this point.

Sugashane
Player of the Month

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:37 pm I see, probably explains it.

Generally your LT is the best passblocker at OT too. At RT you have more likelihood of having the TE there (since most QBs are right handed) and they can chip their DE too. Overall though I think the LT/RT line has blurred too much to really matter in the NFL. The days of the RE being the stud passrusher going against the stud LTs are dead in the NFL. In college it is still way more prevalent because NFL defenses are too complex, athletes are all over now, and there are too many stunts and so on to just rely on this. Few teams have NFL athletes scattered all around the front 7 in college, so their defenses are more vanilla. I have been a proponent that colleges USUALLY put their best OL at OT, and their best OT at LT. Since OTs play in space more than IOL they are better suited to drafting and plugging all over. I'll take OTs over OGs unless I see someone like Quentin Nelson, or when Trey Smith was falling I drafted him prior to KC, or if I really just want a mauler.

Also I think the learning curve for a position like Center is way overblown. Look at Connor Williams in MIA. He was a LT all through college who got drafted with DAL knowing they were going to put him at G. Played there a few years and then MIA signs him with the intention to move him to C. His plus athleticism and ability to get to the second level has him playing REALLY well there.

If I see a guy who moves well but might not have the feet to stay outside then I immediately look at him as an IOL. Can he anchor and sink his hips though? If so, I think he can be worked with. An average athlete at OT is a plus athlete at IOL, they are use to being in space and having to slide to wider spaces so they can adapt to the smaller areas IOL have to cover. They're also more athletic than most IOL so they can get to the second level, be used on pulls, screens, and downfield blocks. IDK if Borom or Jones is a long term answer at OT but I feel pretty damn good that they can both be above average OGs or an OC/C.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Thanks @Moriarty and @Sugashane :thumbsup:

I did get my question muddled slightly and meant to say what skills does a college LT need to develop to move to NFL RT :D

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears notes: Is Alex Leatherwood closer to playing?

Thursday, offensive line coach Chris Morgan gave little indication that a starting assignment was around the corner.

Morgan said the Bears were happy with Leatherwood in practice, though, and that he was put at a disadvantage when he went to the Non-Football Injury list with mononucleosis two weeks after he was claimed.

“Whenever you get traded, you get cut, whatever that is, you kinda need a complete reset sometimes,” Morgan said. “His situation, he didn’t have a lot of time, because it’s during the season. And then, you know, he was ill a little bit. So it was kinda unique. He’s done a good job learning our vocabulary, our plays, techniques. Learning the guys next to him he’s working with.”

Earlier in the week, it seemed like Leatherwood — who has worked at both guard and tackle — had a chance to start Sunday against the Packers. Starting right tackle Riley Reiff left the Jets game with a back problem, and his backup Larry Borom followed suit with knee and ankle injuries. Neither practiced Wednesday.

Reiff, though, returned on a limited basis Thursday. Leatherwood could be on the game-day roster, though, if Borom is ruled out Friday.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... an-brisker
So Leatherwood has practised at guard as well as tackle. It appears he'll only get to play either this season if other players get injured. Even if he does play, how much can the Bears glean about him in 5 games or fewer? I'd be surprised if it would be enough to determine whether he's a projected starter for 2023. His cap hit next year is only $1.97m whilst his dead cap is $4.59m so he'll cost more to cut than keep. He'll provide competition for a spot next season regardless of whether he plays the remainder of this one.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears blocking scheme is pretty complicated. Leatherwood had problems with the Raiders power blocking scheme at RT; this one won't be any easier to learn. But there's less pressure on him in Chicago. His 2023 dead cap hit is $4.5M, he's not going anywhere next year if he doesn't succeed immediately. I still would like to see him at LG but trying him at RT might solve another problem; probably easier to find a LG in the draft or FA.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 pm Thanks @Moriarty and @Sugashane :thumbsup:

I did get my question muddled slightly and meant to say what skills does a college LT need to develop to move to NFL RT :D
Not much, although it depends a little on who you ask.
Some people are insistent about the RT being more powerful and a good run blocker.
I lean more to "if you're good enough to play pro LT, you're good enough to play pro RT". All you have to be able to do is do everything with the opposite side.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:20 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 pm Thanks @Moriarty and @Sugashane :thumbsup:

Not much, although it depends a little on who you ask.
Some people are insistent about the RT being more powerful and a good run blocker.
I lean more to "if you're good enough to play pro LT, you're good enough to play pro RT". All you have to be able to do is do everything with the opposite side.

That's where I'm at .

Teams give up a bit more at RT in terms of the traits they want - because they have to (not enough guys to go around) and you can get away with it easier at RT than LT.

But if a team had its choice (or to hear it here - You finally had a line good enough to judge anything! ) - Then Both Tackles would be Perfect Foot Speed/Arm Length/Strength/ Technique
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Leatherwood plays

Alex Leatherwood played his first snaps for the Bears, rotating with starting right tackle Riley Reiff.

The Bears claimed the 2021 first-round pick from the Raiders at the start of the season. Leatherwood then missed a month on the non-football injury list after contracting mononucleosis. He lost 25 pounds and struggled to regain his conditioning.

“The first couple of weeks back, it was pretty rough,” he said. “There’s a lot of fatigue. But I’m good to go now.”

Eberflus said Leatherwood had a good week of practice, an opportunity given to him when Reiff missed Wednesday. Leatherwood was excited by his play Sunday.

“Knowing that you get good blocks and people acknowledge it, it feels good,” he said. “It makes me want to go even harder, so I appreciate it.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... e-claypool
I'll be interested to see the All-22 and how he got on.
wab
Mod

A blurb from the Athletic about Leatherwood playing yesterday, and why he hasn't been in the lineup up until yesterday:
Leatherwood needed time to regain his strength and more after losing 25 pounds when he had mononucleosis, which included a stint on injured reserve.
MountainBearPA
Rookie

I really like what Poles has done with the personnel on the line, and actually quite like how Eberflus has managed it. However I do take one small issue.

When a guy plays well for a small stretch, I wouldn't move him from his spot looking for yet another guy who can plug and play. Look at all the good lines in history, they never happened over night. The biggest thing is chemistry. Takes a couple years to be the Cowboys line. The guard needs to know what the center can handle and vice versa, that way when they offload blocks there aren't free rushers.

I think, for example, a guy like Teven needs to have his spot and not lose it via rotation. Let the line start to gel. It's what made Garza and Kreutz so good. They could trust each other 100%.
Mountaineer
Pennsylvanian
Trevon Wesco is a future MVP
Resident Kevin White truther
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Yesterday was the first game this season that a Bears QB wasn't sacked. Small victories. Leatherwood looked okay in the limited time he played.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Leatherwood only played 10 snaps, but he did look good (and strong) in his limited playing time.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:52 am Yesterday was the first game this season that a Bears QB wasn't sacked. Small victories. Leatherwood looked okay in the limited time he played.
Can we draw all sorts of 1 game conclusions from that, or is that only allowed for Siemian?

I kid....I kid.....
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:02 am Leatherwood only played 10 snaps, but he did look good (and strong) in his limited playing time.

It was a small sample size but his play was encouraging. Hopefully, he’ll get some more reps in the next game against a team with a better pass rush.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:41 am
wab wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:02 am Leatherwood only played 10 snaps, but he did look good (and strong) in his limited playing time.

It was a small sample size but his play was encouraging. Hopefully, he’ll get some more reps in the next game against a team with a better pass rush.
He did look good in those 10 snaps.
He now has 2 weeks to keep working, building strength, building stamina and working the scheme.

How good would it be to have our RG and RT for next season already here and under contract.
I don’t dislike Braxton but he still has to nail his place down in these last 4 games.

wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:03 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:41 am

He now has 2 weeks to keep working, building strength, building stamina and working the scheme.

How good would it be to have our RG and RT for next season already here and under contract.
I don’t dislike Braxton but he still has to nail his place down in these last 4 games.
I don't know why people keep questioning if Jones is the LT of the future. He's only given up one sack in the last 6 games...and he's also played every snap this season. People still lament the loss of Charles Leno when Jones is statistically playing almost exactly the same. As a rookie...who was blocking guys from Montana and Weber state last year.

It will be a complete shock to be if he's not the starting LT next season.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:55 am A blurb from the Athletic about Leatherwood playing yesterday, and why he hasn't been in the lineup up until yesterday:
Leatherwood needed time to regain his strength and more after losing 25 pounds when he had mononucleosis, which included a stint on injured reserve.
I've been beating that drum for a while. Getting mono is quite often a big deal with a long recovery time.
dave99
Assistant Coach

wab wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:11 pm

I don't know why people keep questioning if Jones is the LT of the future. He's only given up one sack in the last 6 games...and he's also played every snap this season. People still lament the loss of Charles Leno when Jones is statistically playing almost exactly the same. As a rookie...who was blocking guys from Montana and Weber state last year.

I agree. I know PFF is not very popular around here but they have him as the top rated rookie tackle and the 8th best run blocker in the league. His pass blocking needs work but is improving, aside from the one sack he has only allowed 4 pressures in the last four games, a big improvement from the first 9 games.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

MountainBearPA wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:48 am I really like what Poles has done with the personnel on the line, and actually quite like how Eberflus has managed it. However I do take one small issue.

When a guy plays well for a small stretch, I wouldn't move him from his spot looking for yet another guy who can plug and play. Look at all the good lines in history, they never happened over night. The biggest thing is chemistry. Takes a couple years to be the Cowboys line. The guard needs to know what the center can handle and vice versa, that way when they offload blocks there aren't free rushers.

I think, for example, a guy like Teven needs to have his spot and not lose it via rotation. Let the line start to gel. It's what made Garza and Kreutz so good. They could trust each other 100%.
I like what he's done as well. He's stock piling athletic OL and will be swapping players into different positions trying to find the right combination. I'm interested to see what he does with Diesch, if anything.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:11 pm

I don't think we will spend money to secure our "LT of the future" in FA, but would love to see us land a RT like Conklin. I think the only way he isn't our starting LT of the future is we do one, or a series of trade down with our first pick and end up falling outside the top 10. In that situation, I do think the BPA could be one of the LTs. Granted Poles has to have the same view as I do (let's all hope he is MUCH better than I am) for that to happen. Outside that situation, I don't see how your assessment of him being our starter could be wrong.

Edit - after typing that I guess we could draft some later round LT we want to "develop" and he shows up at camp and make them think he needs to be starting. Less likely but at least realistic.