Seahawks trade QB Russell Wilson to Broncos

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:48 pm Doesn't anybody want to see if Russell Wilson will be successful in the new offense first before signing him to a mega deal? ;)

(Where have I heard that argument before?)
Putting aside that QB is you know NOT ILB. And that Wilson's track record is much better and longer than Roquon's.

You lose a good chunk of your leverage when you trade 2 1sts, and 2 2nds + for a guy.

Please tell me you understand this? (or tell someone else I guess)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:29 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:48 pm Doesn't anybody want to see if Russell Wilson will be successful in the new offense first before signing him to a mega deal? ;)

(Where have I heard that argument before?)
Putting aside that QB is you know NOT ILB. And that Wilson's track record is much better and longer than Roquon's.

You lose a good chunk of your leverage when you trade 2 1sts, and 2 2nds + for a guy.

Please tell me you understand this? (or tell someone else I guess)
Oh wow. I was quoted by someone that I have on Ignore.

What to do what to do.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Well this hasn’t started well :lol:

Seahawks 17 - 16 Broncos
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Wilson was totally underwhelming yesterday (less than 50% completions) but did throw the winning TD pass. He looks like time has caught up to him. He's also not nearly as elusive as he used to be.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:24 am Wilson was totally underwhelming yesterday (less than 50% completions) but did throw the winning TD pass. He looks like time has caught up to him. He's also not nearly as elusive as he used to be.
Seahawks were always better the less it was in Wilson's hands

But its a chicken-egg thing - If you have a great Defense and M. Lynch - Why would you ask your QB to throw it 45 times a game and win it himself?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:35 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:24 am Wilson was totally underwhelming yesterday (less than 50% completions) but did throw the winning TD pass. He looks like time has caught up to him. He's also not nearly as elusive as he used to be.
Seahawks were always better the less it was in Wilson's hands

But its a chicken-egg thing - If you have a great Defense and M. Lynch - Why would you ask your QB to throw it 45 times a game and win it himself?
Which was always the kerfuffle between Wilson and Carroll.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Just saw this today, laughed my ass off.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Meanwhile, Geno Smith, who hasn't started in the NFL since the Mesozoic Era, is leading the league in % completion. The Seahawks are sitting in first place in their division. Plus they have all those draft picks from Denver. They're mightly happy in Seattle right now.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Anyone think that the Broncos would have been much better off keeping Fangio? I think Hackett owes everything to Rodgers and that he is a terrible head coach.

I think he is fired barring some super turn around. The Walmart Waltons got money to burn for days.
wab
Mod

Hackett definitely feels like a one and done.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No, Fangio was bad. I think what people are finding out is that Wilson was a product of Seattle. Wilson and Hackett just do not jive. It was a poor trade. Wilson was practically done, hence, Seattle had no problem getting rid of him.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:17 pm No, Fangio was bad. I think what people are finding out is that Wilson was a product of Seattle. Wilson and Hackett just do not jive. It was a poor trade. Wilson was practically done, hence, Seattle had no problem getting rid of him.
But, hear me out, Fangio had absolute trash for QB's his entire time and yet had them competitive. Hackett gets Wilson and the rails fall off everything? Wilson was too good for too long to just be a product of Seattle.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

The Russell Wilson Tweet is FAF!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Pete Carroll is a hell of a coach IMO
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:27 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:17 pm No, Fangio was bad. I think what people are finding out is that Wilson was a product of Seattle. Wilson and Hackett just do not jive. It was a poor trade. Wilson was practically done, hence, Seattle had no problem getting rid of him.
But, hear me out, Fangio had absolute trash for QB's his entire time and yet had them competitive. Hackett gets Wilson and the rails fall off everything? Wilson was too good for too long to just be a product of Seattle.
He was 19-30 while with the Broncs. 7 wins was his best season. He was a wreck that had no help from Elway.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Broncos fire coach Nathaniel Hackett after 4-11 start to first season in Denver

The Denver Broncos have fired head coach Nathaniel Hackett, NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero reported Monday, per a source. The team has since announced the news.

"On behalf of our ownership and organization, I want to thank Nathaniel Hackett for his dedication as head coach of the Denver Broncos," team owner and CEO Greg Penner said in a statement. "We sincerely appreciate Nathaniel's efforts and wish him and his family all the best in the future.

"Following extensive conversations with (general manager) George (Paton) and our ownership group, we determined a new direction would ultimately be in the best interest of the Broncos. This change was made now out of respect for everyone involved and allows us to immediately begin the search for a new head coach.

"We recognize and appreciate this organization's championship history, and we understand we have not met that standard. Our fans deserve much better, and I can't say enough about their loyalty during such a challenging stretch for our team.

"Moving forward, we will carefully evaluate every aspect of our football operations and make whatever changes are necessary to restore this franchise's winning tradition.

"I will lead our head coaching search with support from our ownership group and George, whom I have confidence in as our general manager. As we begin the process of selecting our next head coach, we remain focused on playing competitive football to finish the season on a positive note."

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-fire-n ... -in-denver
The only surprise is that they made the move before the end of the season. They've gone from having Super Bowl aspirations to being one of the worst in the league. They desperately need someone to turn Wilson around because that team has an abundance of talent and should have been only a QB away, which is why they made that trade. So far it's been a disaster and it's not a move they can extricate themselves from.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Absurd move! :D

I don't think they were nearly as talented a team as folks thought they were. Their pass catchers are nothing special, they let RB1 go in favor of Williams, who promptly got hurt, so their RB corps is bottom barrel. Their defense is ok but nothing special and couldn't rush the passer for shit, decent DB's aren't enough if you can't get to the QB (see: Bears, Chicago).

Combine this with the precipitous decline in Russ's play, and you have a disaster scenario for a Y1 HC.

IMO, if you truly believed in Hackett when you hired him, you shouldn't dump him now unless there is some other mitigating circumstance that forces your hand. i.e., the players revolted against him, or they have an elite Getsy type coach waiting to be plucked by another team :evilgrin:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:13 pm Absurd move! :D

I don't think they were nearly as talented a team as folks thought they were. Their pass catchers are nothing special, they let RB1 go in favor of Williams, who promptly got hurt, so their RB corps is bottom barrel. Their defense is ok but nothing special and couldn't rush the passer for shit, decent DB's aren't enough if you can't get to the QB (see: Bears, Chicago).

Combine this with the precipitous decline in Russ's play, and you have a disaster scenario for a Y1 HC.

IMO, if you truly believed in Hackett when you hired him, you shouldn't dump him now unless there is some other mitigating circumstance that forces your hand. i.e., the players revolted against him, or they have an elite Getsy type coach waiting to be plucked by another team :evilgrin:
It was a punk move to do so with the season not finished. There were issues with players fighting with each other and coaches. There was stupid personnel moves made by the GM, not the coach. I doubt the Bears have to worry about Getsy being poached after this year. The team showed improvements but the jury's still out on how effective his system is regardless of the lack of quality personnel and he showed numerous issues with play calling.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:13 pm Absurd move! :D
I assure they didn’t fire him because they were worried about someone hiring Justin Outten out from under them…
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Broncos QB Russell Wilson 'devastated' by HC Nathaniel Hackett's firing: 'I wish I could've played better for him'

Wilson made it clear Wednesday that he was upset by his coach's dismissal and shoulders some of the blame for not playing at his best.

"I'm gonna lead it off real fast," Wilson said in a Wednesday news conference before fielding any questions. "Just, I think, first of all, obviously, devastated about coach Hackett because I think he's an amazing man, amazing teacher, amazing father, just watching him with his kids, and what he's been able to do and how he's taught the game for us. This season has been a season we never thought was going to happen the way it did. He was a guy that spent all of his time and all of his effort into us as players, as staff members, everybody, coaches as well. I think he's an amazing coach, one of the brighter minds I've been around."

"It's been a crazy season, tons of injuries, tons of everything else, but the reality is I wish I could've played better for him, too," Wilson said. "I wish I could've played at the standard and level that I've always played at and know how to play at. So, what I do know is he's resilient, he's going to be a tremendous coach like I said, and I love him to death and everybody misses him, for sure."

In a Tuesday news conference, Broncos general manager said he believed Wilson was "fixable." That will be the next head coach's top priority -- along with Wilson's.

"I know I can play exceptionally well, I know what I have in me and I know what I can do,'' Wilson said. "And also, too, at the end of the day, each moment that you're out there you want to play your best, I haven't been able to do that this year so far. We have two games to go, I wanna be able to just go compete at the highest level and try to get us two wins."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-qb-rus ... i-wish-i-c
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:16 pm Hackett definitely feels like a one and done.
Fifteen seventeenths and done. Pretty incredible - good call.

OK folks now go find a good coach who wants to come in with that huge financial commitment to Pete Carroll's puppet and no first or second rounders, in a division with those other QBs. Ruh-roh.

How does that GM have their job and Hackett doesn't? Wow.
Last edited by IE on Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:38 am How does that GM have their job and Hackett doesn't? Wow.
At the end of the day, he just couldn't Hackett as a head coach.

Sugashane
Player of the Month

There's a handful of people who want to cut Wilson and eat the $117 mil dead cap. Wow. I love seeing how jacked up the whole deal got.