Poles/Flus end of season press conference recap

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:43 pm But if we can get Saquan for 3 million more?
First of all, you most probably can't.

Second of all, Saquon Barkley isn't who Ryan Poles said this about:
Ryan Poles wrote:I've always wanted to keep David. I love his mentality, how he plays the game. I told him that to his face. He’s part of the identity that we had this year that kept us competitive.
Third, I'm generally not in favor of paying RBs, but I'll make an exception to keep a guy like that on my team, particularly while money isn't an issue (and with a 2-3 year deal with some guaranteed coin that takes care of him and his family for life, when the cap tightens you're better prepared for life after him — and so is he).

In fact, I wonder how realistic it would be for a winning team to do one year deals with RBs at, say, $4-5M. Need to go crunch some numbers...
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:11 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:20 pm

I enjoy your posts for the most part, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much hate from a fan for the owner of their favorite team. I think you have to let it go…To think the Bears ownership doesn’t care about winning is a view I wouldn’t expect from someone so knowledgeable. It’s a take I would expect from a caller on the Boars and Bernstein show.

All of the following can be true.

Bears ownership wants to win
Bears ownership cares about the fans
Bears ownership hasn’t been successful in producing a winner
We haven't won a Super Bowl since 1985.

38 years ago.

Fans have every right to hate the ownership.
I’ll save my hate for the packers.

But I would be dishonest to say the bears and their ownership haven’t disappointed me the last 38 years.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t know how good a scheme fit Barkley would be here. Hopefully we keep Monty on a salary valued at a running back by committee type level. No need to spend heavy here, focus elsewhere.
docc
Head Coach

Monty is worth 3/21 with 10 Guaranteed..and he and Hebert make a great RB threat along with the talent of Fields..and less to replace..as we have more need elsewhere..

Keep Monty..he's our pounder..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:00 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:29 pm

I'm so jaded about the 35 years of bullshit from these people that I don't think I'd believe them if they said water is wet.

HOWEVER....

I watched that presser and the big difference is that Poles and Coach aren't smug.

Pace and McNagy were smug. Especially McNagy; not only was he smug he was a know-it-all.

I think at least in terms of people you'd want to have a beer with it would be Poles and Coach by ten miles over those other two idiots.
I'd have a beer(s) with Satan himself, if he bought.
You must be pretty thirsty.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:48 pm

Saquon will clear 14per at least, IMO.
I’m out
Don't be so quick to dismiss.

Say it out loud. One hundred and twenty million dollars.

Although admittedly I'm in the camp of signing Josh Jacobs or using a trade down pick in the 2nd or 3rd on an RB.

My issue is with Monty; not whatever his cap figure is going to be.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:02 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:11 pm

We haven't won a Super Bowl since 1985.

38 years ago.

Fans have every right to hate the ownership.
I agree, if your life is so shallow that the Bears winning is that important.
This is a message board.

For Bears fans.

Your post reminds me of when wab channels his inner Judd Nelson, turns into John Bender and is like oh I don't care, you're all going to be disappointed.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:00 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:29 pm

I'm so jaded about the 35 years of bullshit from these people that I don't think I'd believe them if they said water is wet.

HOWEVER....

I watched that presser and the big difference is that Poles and Coach aren't smug.

Pace and McNagy were smug. Especially McNagy; not only was he smug he was a know-it-all.

I think at least in terms of people you'd want to have a beer with it would be Poles and Coach by ten miles over those other two idiots.
I'd have a beer(s) with Satan himself, if he bought.
Jonathan Allen, is that you

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/332 ... ine-hitler
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:14 am
Hema2.0 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:02 pm

I agree, if your life is so shallow that the Bears winning is that important.
This is a message board.

For Bears fans.

Your post reminds me of when wab channels his inner Judd Nelson, turns into John Bender and is like oh I don't care, you're all going to be disappointed.
I just think hate is a very strong word when its directed at people.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Hema2.0 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:49 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:14 am

This is a message board.

For Bears fans.

You can include the word kill along with hate.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

I just don’t see ownership as a big part of the execution problem, beyond a few questionable GM choices. I hated both the Emery and Pace hires. Hopefully they got it right with Poles, only time will tell.

I also love old people and love having Virginia as our owner - her kids not so much lol. But that direct lineage to Halas is really cool to me. Sorta like my take on Soldier Field v Arlington Heights - I value our unique place in NFL history and really, really hate losing that.

Sadly, the Packers get this.
dplank
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:55 am
Hema2.0 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:49 am

You can include the word kill along with hate.
Don’t look down at your own signature block 🙄
G08
Hall of Famer

What a refreshing post-mortem. I thought Poles came across calm, collected and confident. Seemed better in front of the cameras as well, which was nice.

The #1 overall pick is such a blessing. Really, it affords us the opportunity to build around Justin Fields and if, God forbid, he sucks next year we will have multiple first round picks to move around in the draft to take another QB (I don't foresee this happening, but it's nice to have the failsafe).

Bring back Monty, build up the offensive line, see what you can do with a healthy Claypool, Mooney and Kmet.

Defensively, build up the defensive line with elite talent at 3T and DE, draft a playmaker at WILL and have at it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:55 am I just don’t see ownership as a big part of the execution problem, beyond a few questionable GM choices. I hated both the Emery and Pace hires. Hopefully they got it right with Poles, only time will tell.

I also love old people and love having Virginia as our owner - her kids not so much lol. But that direct lineage to Halas is really cool to me. Sorta like my take on Soldier Field v Arlington Heights - I value our unique place in NFL history and really, really hate losing that.

Sadly, the Packers get this.
Ownership leaves a lot to be desired, but I personally think it's a definite grass is greener issue. One right personnel choice can catapult a franchise up. And a bad one bring them right back on down. Thing is with the really good ones, you can kind of sit back for 20-30 years.

Hopefully the combo of Poles and (likely) Warren catapults the Bears and leaves ownership in the position to sit back and provide money (which is all you really want in a sports owner)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Sometimes I think you have to have a bit of disembodiment to hate. It's harder to hate when you have an actual image to reflect on. How can you hate this woman?

I can't.
IE
Hall of Famer

I like the Conner comp and price range for Monty. He basically IS Conner in terms of short yardage and TD-focused, mixed in with some really nice receiving capability that isn't used enough (yet). I like that he got his median ypc this season up to 4. He was way more consistent than he's been in the past, IMO. Monty is what he is in terms of his stats - but definitely has the heart of a champion. Guy is ferocious and a leader.

I like that Poles and the coaches love him.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:38 am Sometimes I think you have to have a bit of disembodiment to hate. It's harder to hate when you have an actual image to reflect on. How can you hate this woman?

I can't.
Because she looks like the damn Emperor from Star Wars for starters.

malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:11 am What a refreshing post-mortem. I thought Poles came across calm, collected and confident. Seemed better in front of the cameras as well, which was nice.

The #1 overall pick is such a blessing. Really, it affords us the opportunity to build around Justin Fields and if, God forbid, he sucks next year we will have multiple first round picks to move around in the draft to take another QB (I don't foresee this happening, but it's nice to have the failsafe).

Bring back Monty, build up the offensive line, see what you can do with a healthy Claypool, Mooney and Kmet.

Defensively, build up the defensive line with elite talent at 3T and DE, draft a playmaker at WILL and have at it.
Getting a 2024 1st rounder is a great hedge against Fields not being as good as we hope/expect. That's a really good point.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
malk
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:38 am Sometimes I think you have to have a bit of disembodiment to hate. It's harder to hate when you have an actual image to reflect on. How can you hate this woman?

I can't.
All billionaires to the wall, even the sweet old ladies.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 pm

I can't.

Wow, you certainly do have issues with ownership TMP. Tell me, did you love them in '86? 8-)
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:12 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:18 pm

Wow, you certainly do have issues with ownership TMP. Tell me, did you love them in '86? 8-)
Pretty sure he loved Ditka in 69

:evilgrin:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:49 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:48 pm

Saquon will clear 14per at least, IMO.
I’m out